Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ramengank posted:

I saw the 8 images at the top and was like "heh, whatever". :smug:

I scroll down a bit:
code:
The following 167 pages are in this category, out of 167 total.
:stonklol:

Guess what, that's still not every characters Penders introduced
http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters_introduced_by_Ken_Penders

228 of them :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
There are 13 pages under "alternate versions of Knuckles".

There is no such thing as a comic that needs 14 versions of one character.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Buttass posted:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Discendo Vox posted:

It's hard to say for sure, but I doubt it. There's overlap with the furry fandom more generally, and the furry fandom, and the subculture overlap, predate Penders being Penders. Judging by what I've seen on fanfiction.net (I use it to torture people, ok?) a number of the worst offenders have no idea the comics exist. These folks don't need Penders and his overwrought, poorly written material to project their own issues and suppressed desires onto cartoon animals.

Yeah that's one of the big weird things about the comic, that it existed pretty much entirely in its own bubble by both Sega (which again is the reason the insanity was allowed to continue for so long) and the fan base. This game is pretty much the only outside thing to vaguely acknowledge it and look how that went.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sramaker posted:

What? The intented effect is that the Comics are so much better now than that they were before, also the crossover is excellent so if can get more of it, you should!

If this can't convince you to read it then i don't know what will.

Hey Omni is there any place online to read the newer, better Sonic Comics? I won't have money for a months to spend on comics and since i want to see if i want to get them in my pull list of comics this would help me.

Yeah, the Mega Man/Sonic crossover is legit a very good comic.

Also it's totally a gateway drug into the Sonic comics because, like I said, they got rebooted in that very same crossover so you can start reading the comic without having to know what's going on.

Oh, and to answer your question, you can read all the Mega Man and Sonic comics (and hell, most comics from most publishers in general) over on comixology.com

Dr. Buttass posted:

I dare you to look up how many versions of Batman there are.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_versions_of_Batman
Wow but since there is no definite version of Batman it's not the same as with Knuckles.

Thank for pointing me at comixology.com

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TwoPair posted:

I stand by my statement.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

TwoPair posted:

But these are all from different continuities, right? I think the alternate Knuckles' are all from the same one or from branching paths off one set timeline. I didn't really look into this statement because I don't need THAT much Penders.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ramengank posted:

But these are all from different continuities, right? I think the alternate Knuckles' are all from the same one or from branching paths off one set timeline. I didn't really look into this statement because I don't need THAT much Penders.

It's the typical multiverse sort of thing. Infinite worlds, infinite red(or green) Knuckles. The problem wasn't really that Penders used a lot of echidna characters, or that he wanted to do dark stuff, it was that he was poo poo at using any characters, and couldn't write dark or light material.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Well it's official: I'm Insane, i have downloaded evey Archie comic books up to Sonic #250 and Universe #50. I will see how long i last until i skip to the parts where it get good again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sramaker posted:

Well it's official: I'm Insane, i have downloaded evey Archie comic books up to Sonic #250 and Universe #50. I will see how long i last until i skip to the parts where it get good again.

You are insane, I could never have made the ride without other people there.

Still though, once it becomes good

It stays good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sonic meets the weird part of his fanbase.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Onmi posted:

You are insane, I could never have made the ride without other people there.

Still though, once it becomes good

It stays good

Yes it does, quoting from the BSS thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Did Crazy robotnik/eggman just reference a youtube poop?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually laughed out loud at Pingas. :allears:

:stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 28, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes and No, it's from AoStH originally before being a youtube poop meme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The clip in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJ9rwaamas

And Mike Pollock's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ni9oVAAO2Q

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Unfortunately, Mike Pollock didn't know about the reference when he was asked to do it. He wasn't happy when he found out what it meant, and said he wasn't doing fan voice requests ever again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aww, that sucks. Why'd it upset him so much?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aww, that sucks. Why'd it upset him so much?

I figure being tricked into making a dick joke would probably make a pro VA mad (if they didn't know they were doing it)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I actually laughed out loud at Pingas. :allears:

:stare:

So to sum up those collections of posts, In Issue #200 Sonic defeated Eggman and the shock of Sonic's speech as he beat the crap out of him (Essentially at Eggman couldn't beat him no matter what, how hard he tried, or what he pulled out) caused him to snap mentally. This reduced him to a gibbering vegetable who's mind jumped between the different points in his life and blurted out random phrases like the internet references up there.

Now at the same time the Iron Dominion rolled in to take the villain slot, and at this time Eggman was putting his mind back together. Eventually he came to the conclusion, Sonics use of the Chaos Emeralds had left him a being of chaos, Ergo, Eggman couldn't plan around him, this let him put himself back together again, and became... much more dangerous.

Because again Eggman realized "If I shoot at Sonic, I'm never going to hit him, so I wont bother doing that. I wont fight like I used to."

He became... much more of a threat this way, willing to cut a loss and just say "Okay shows over, no I didn't accomplish what I wanted to but I did manage to gently caress with him."

And this could easily have been done badly, but it was done really well.

He has nothing on the Battle Bird Armada though.

See if Eggman's the dude with all the technology and Naugus was the villain who had all the magic, then the BBA rounded out the like in that the Battle Kukku here just punched everything. The fact they had a really good arc, with really strong writing, and happen to be interesting all up? lovely addition from Tails Adventure (Game Gear game)

One just must always remember you can't NOT have a threatening villain, they just have to be threatening in the RIGHT way, and I've always said that Sonic should feel like a Pixar movie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everything in that post was just magical, but this

This is just the most :getin: image I have ever seen.

Additionally, I found this.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 29, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shadow was pretty great in the Universe run. Mostly because they finally wrote him out of the grimdark hole he was in.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yup, and it's amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Everything in that post was just magical, but this

This is just the most :getin: image I have ever seen.

Additionally, I found this.

That entire Arc is amazing

The long and short of it is, Blaze is hunting the Sol Emeralds, so Amy and Cream are helping her because heroes, Rogue and Team Dark are out for it to give to GUN to strengthen GUNs power base, The Babylon Rogues are out for it because their thieving pricks, and Nack, Bean and Bark are out for it because someone hired them to.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
"From the show" is another Youtube Poop reference. I want to say there was a "tomorrow I'll" in that arc someplace too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every time I see that "snooPING AS usual" page I am instantly reminded of Long Jonh Baldry aka best Eggman and then I get sad.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey Omni, did they ever do an adaptation of a Sonic game that was good?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sramaker posted:

Hey Omni, did they ever do an adaptation of a Sonic game that was good?

You mean in the comics? Hm... well technically they're adapting Unleashed NOW and it's good. But the only real adaption they did of a game into the comic was Sonic Adventure, and let me sum up how good it was.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

gently caress THIS COMIC.

Okay so... Mm sorry. So When they did the Sonic Adventure adaption, supposedly they only got video of the game, not script. And since Penders had shoved his violating cock so hard into the setting they had to explain things like "Station Square is under a mountain." Or... Tikal having her design changed and her name mispelled every time she appeared! And of course they figured out how to have Amy Rose not appear ever, because Penders didn't like the fact he was forced to use actual SONIC characters and...

Man look this would be an entire freaking essay all on its own. Sonic Advenutre may not have been the best game but it was utterly hosed and horribly adapted.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
There is also the Genesis saga, they did an adaption of the two first genesis games once Eggman tried to reshape the world to fight Sonic's chaos-ness.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
So with all this talk of Sonic comics, I would just like to say that I recently sat down and read the Sonic/Mega Man crossover and I gotta say, even though I'm not into comics and know next to nothing about Mega Man, it was a pretty fun read. Best part was, obviously, the villain interactions. Worst part was the ending. It just sorta ends after both universes get reset and Eggman fucks up the restoration of his universe. For someone who wasn't planning on reading on after the crossover, that ending is sorta abrupt. I was actually sitting there wondering if my copy was missing the last few pages.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Well that's because the crossover wasn't meant to exist in a vacuum and be read as its own thing. It's just a story arc taking place within the stories of the Sonic & Megaman comics.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
To be fair on the 'under a mountain' thing for Station Square, they did also have to get around the otherwise notable lack of humans up until that point (though I think there had been a few exceptions beforehand?), which then involved a rather convoluted backstory for Eggman, Mobius, and the anthropomorphic animal people of the series as a whole. Because nooooo couldn't just have it be some far removed part of the planet that was otherwise uninvolved, they needed to get the freaking apocalypse involved.

I think the sheer lag that the comics have now had - both Sonic and Megaman really - for adapting material is actually a great boon, because it means they don't have to worry about getting scripts prior to a release, and instead can focus on tweaking and fine tuning the material as needed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair on the 'under a mountain' thing for Station Square, they did also have to get around the otherwise notable lack of humans up until that point (though I think there had been a few exceptions beforehand?), which then involved a rather convoluted backstory for Eggman, Mobius, and the anthropomorphic animal people of the series as a whole. Because nooooo couldn't just have it be some far removed part of the planet that was otherwise uninvolved, they needed to get the freaking apocalypse involved.
Oh is it "let's explain how batshit the comics were under Pender's reign" time again?

So apparently there's this alien species known as the Xorda, which look like giant floating purple brains with Tentacles. They sent a single emmisary to earth, where he was met and dissected by Dr Eggman's ancestor, Larry Niven, and Arthur C Clarke. The Xorda's measured response to this was gene-bombing the entire planet wiping out all human life except for a single passenger ship that was in low earth orbit at the time, and crashed into a mountain. These survivors then went on to found Station Square. The animals, conversely, all hyper-evolved into sapient bipedal species to repopulate the planet.

Except a few humans survived and were mutated into a form that was 'humans except they have four fingers and are barbarians who hate mobians.' Overlanders eventually went through their industrial revolution and atomic age and were generally dicks to the environment, where as mobians were peaceful and blah blah blah. War were declared. Eventually Princess Sally's dad decided that this stuff was bonkers and challenged the Overlander king to a sword fight, with the losing side surrendering without question. The squirrel-chipmonk beat Conan the Barbarian, and the majority of their race hopped into their spaceships and fled the planet in shame.
e:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 29, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Onmi posted:

You mean in the comics? Hm... well technically they're adapting Unleashed NOW and it's good. But the only real adaption they did of a game into the comic was Sonic Adventure, and let me sum up how good it was.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

gently caress THIS COMIC.

Okay so... Mm sorry. So When they did the Sonic Adventure adaption, supposedly they only got video of the game, not script. And since Penders had shoved his violating cock so hard into the setting they had to explain things like "Station Square is under a mountain." Or... Tikal having her design changed and her name mispelled every time she appeared! And of course they figured out how to have Amy Rose not appear ever, because Penders didn't like the fact he was forced to use actual SONIC characters and...

Man look this would be an entire freaking essay all on its own. Sonic Advenutre may not have been the best game but it was utterly hosed and horribly adapted.

The main thing I remember about the Sonic Adventure adaptation was that every other panel the mayor of Station Square had this weirdly blatant "hahaha, they have fallen into my trap" sinister expression and I kept expecting something to actually come of that.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

Davinci posted:

Well that's because the crossover wasn't meant to exist in a vacuum and be read as its own thing. It's just a story arc taking place within the stories of the Sonic & Megaman comics.

Well, considering that they changed both universes to make it more akin to a crossover of their current game iterations, it's apparent that they were trying to bring in buyers who have only played the games. Combined with the fact that they essentially put story arcs in both universes on hold during the crossover, I think it would make sense to treat the crossover as its own separate thing. Would it really have killed them to show the aftermath for both universes within the crossover itself? Imagine how a kid who read the crossover without prior knowledge of the comics would react to the final panel being Sonic shouting "What did you do?!" to Eggman as everything fades to white. I can see that being quite traumatizing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

XaviortheSavior posted:

Well, considering that they changed both universes to make it more akin to a crossover of their current game iterations, it's apparent that they were trying to bring in buyers who have only played the games. Combined with the fact that they essentially put story arcs in both universes on hold during the crossover, I think it would make sense to treat the crossover as its own separate thing. Would it really have killed them to show the aftermath for both universes within the crossover itself? Imagine how a kid who read the crossover without prior knowledge of the comics would react to the final panel being Sonic shouting "What did you do?!" to Eggman as everything fades to white. I can see that being quite traumatizing.

OR, Xavior, if you're trying to set up this crossover to eventually bring people in to READING MORE THAN THE CROSSOVER, you let it end on the cliffhanger so they go "Oh man, I GOT to see what this leads into." and you pick up the next issue.

You know if you're trying to run a business model of attracting new readers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It also shows the difference between Wily and Eggman. Wily's evil, to be sure. But Eggman's willing to risk the unmaking of existence if it means he gets to stick it to Sonic one last time.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
Well drat, I don't have a comeback for that. I guess there's a reason Omni is the go-to comic guru for this thread. Still, I personally have no interest in reading onward. As I said, not a comic book guy person.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It's also important to note that only Sonic's universe was rebooted. Megaman's remains unaffected with the crossover just being a thing that has happened. Even within the Sonic comic's continuity only the main universe was rebooted. The alternate universe Blaze is from is unrebooted.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure why we're using spoilers, but the very simple explanation for that is that Sonic Rush didn't enter the comic canon until after Penders got ousted. So all the characters from there aren't affected by the Pendembargo. No reason to throw away any characters they didn't have to.

• Locked thread