Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Aw yeah, Sonic Chronicles.

I had a lot of fun with this game, really. The battles were OK. The BioWare Dialogue was OK, too (it benefitted a lot from the next most recent Sonic title being Sonic 2006 but hey). For a Sonic fan at that time, anything better than mediocre would've gone over quite well.

Hell, even the first bit of music there, while obviously and glaringly being a loving MIDI, was still actually kinda pleasant to listen to.

The world needs to see this game. It went over about as well as "DS Sonic RPG" could possibly have gone over, which is to say, generally ignored and sometimes panned. But there's some good poo poo here, and if nothing else the soundtrack has to be heard to be believed.

Let's loving do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SirPhoebos posted:

On that note, I hope this thread isn't taken over by the "gently caress BIOWARE!" folks on this subforum, because I really want to see what depths this game goes.

And I must admit, the snarky dialogue Bioware loves so much is pretty appropriate for Sonic.

Yeah, this game's a few years ahead of the gently caress BIOWARE era, and yeah, this game has problems but for the most part the dialogue isn't one.

From what I can tell, the actual honest-to-god BioWare People on this game pretty much did the best they could with what they had, what they had being a team of a size they weren't used to managing developing an IP they weren't familiar with for hardware they weren't used to to a timeframe they'd never dealt with (and (apparently) losing their soundtrack during crunchtime). Really, it's rather incredible that this game isn't a trainwreck on par with its contemporary in 2006. They kept it together. They really did.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Opposing Farce posted:

Supposedly there was some kind of legal issue with the music that forced them to redo it at the last minute.

This just raises more questions though. How did they get so late into development without waterproofing the legal side? What were they even using that would've been subject to legal issues in the first place? With Sonic Team's blessing they'd have had access to tons of great music and a whole team of awesome composers to make more. Or if Bioware were doing it in house with blessings of Sonic Team there'd have been nothing to have issues over.

What happened? Were they trying to license some other completely external stuff or what?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TwoPair posted:

Hey everybody posting about the comic, that's fine, the comics are fuckin' bonkers and deserve to be talked about, but there is like only one twist in this game's plot and a couple of you are really getting close to spoiling it. Just don't steal my thunder, is all I'm saying.

Related: What's your spoiler policy here? You don't mention spoilers at all in the OP.

TwoPair posted:

I hadn't thought about until I looked at your post, but then I looked up the AR codes, and there's not much I can do. There's one that gives you a shitload of eggs, but then it's still luck of the draw as to what pops out. I think as far as this playthrough goes, I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope things turn out all right. But honestly, when it comes to the Chao, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. They float behind your characters and provide buffs, and that's it really. I'll throw up links to pictures/information about the ones we don't just get normally .

But maybe I will turn on cheats if I get bored.

I'm sure it's possible to use AR to rig eggs for specific Chao (although probably not the hidden ones (at least not if the way they employ the RNG is as sane as I assume it is (sometimes it isn't (sometimes it really, really isn't)))), but no one likes the game enough to bother to go to the necessary trial and error to figure out exactly where the random number goes in memory and what numbers lead to what Chao.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sonic understands the Real Super Power of Teamwork™.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Speaking of Sonic cartoon shows, this is apparently a thing.

Knuckles been hittin' the gym.

I will be following this *just* to find out what the hell is going on with Knuckles, and also why Sonic appears to be wearing a jacket or some poo poo now.

(also what the hell Knuckles' gloves don't have fingers, what is this poo poo)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dolash posted:

Please never stop choosing the jerk-est options available.

I support this motion.

I also want to see as many post Adventure characters in the party as possible at all times, but I think that might be more schadenfreude than enthusiasm. And also because Sonic just got told by Big.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gotta be Amy and Big. Big must be in the party at all times.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kurieg posted:

I enjoyed the game as well, I'm not sure I'd say I liked it, it had some problems in it's level design (bingo highway, I'm looking at you), but other levels were really good (Hang castle, final fortress).

The Special stages were their own particular brand of bullshit though. First, only the second stage in each two stage pairing counted for the chaos emerald, the first stage only got you a one up or something. Second, each emerald was tied to a specific stage, so you couldn't vary them up, were you missing emerald #3? Hope you enjoy running bingo highway till the end of time. Also: the stages themselves were buggy as hell. I got very close to getting the last emerald I needed a few times, but my character kept glitching out into the floor of the special stage tube and would start running in reverse very slowly.

gently caress those special stages.

You know which game had the best special stages? Saints Row IV.

Um... I mean Sonic Rush. Those were pretty cool.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TwoPair posted:

Say whaaaa?

Too black, too strong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

majormonotone posted:

Cream, Eggman, Big. The best team (I'm not kidding, this is actually a ridiculously good lineup)

This man has the right idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

quote:

See, I've never gone full rear end in a top hat in this game before so frankly I don't know what happens from here. Does Amy really never try to get romantic with Sonic after this? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned that if she doesn't, we can't really maximize the amout of dialogue in the game (and the level to which Sonic is the worst person anthropomorphic animal alive). So I decided to play it the other way instead.

As far as I recall there's some dialogue late in the game that goes a completely different direction if you're consistently mean to Amy. I don't know if you can always get it or if you have to have been mean to her the whole game but it's worth keeping in mind.

• Locked thread