Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Endorph posted:

At least this game functions. That's more than you can say for Sonic 2006, which would completely break if you so much looked at it funny.

Tell that to the Run Button guys.
Seriously, I think the biggest reason I'm interested in this LP is because it's the one major Sonic game they couldn't really play in their mega-thread, mostly due to being unable to properly run the game with their setup in a recordable fashion (apparently this game hates emulators more than any other). They got about 2 minutes in before they threw their hands up and said forget it.

I remember when this game was making the rounds pre-release at the magazines. At the time, Bioware seemed honestly enthusiastic about the game, and it was literally planned as Sega's answer to the Mario RPG franchise. Normally in these interview junkets, you expect the game to come out like, 4-6 months afterwards, and the progress described in the articles indicated that's how far along they were. The mags even seemed excited to see what the finished product looked like, due to the potential on display. Then out of nowhere, the game came out like, a month later, and the build footage was pretty darn close to the released version. The magazines were not amused. I remember it getting like 5 and 6's out of 10, and we were already far into the age where anything below an 8.5 was doomed to failure. It's painfully obvious how rushed this game was, and it feels like a lot of that rush was not planned in advance. Like Sega just suddenly walked into Bioware's offices and said "Okay, we've waited long enough. We don't care how finished you say the game is, we say it's ready now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Archie Comics thread over in BSS explains things alot more detailed if you want to go ahead and read it now, but the bottom line as I understand it is that both AC and SOA were very lazy and unorganized with their paperwork, and all the contracts that say that Penders did not get ownership of his characters created for the book had their original copies lost, and the courts won't accept the photocopies of photocopies they do have, so it becomes a he said/she said case. Apparently AC decided a little while ago to just flip the table and wrote in a sort of reset button that took out all his bloat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

speaking of the bad art assets, am I the only one that noticed in the intro video the characters all lazily slapped into the scene on Robotnik's ship like colorforms?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That was pretty much his whole plan in Sonic Colors, though it wasn't Earth/Mobius at the time, but rather the planet of the Wisps.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

A question for the more expertly sonic fans out there...It's no real secret that the Sonic franchise borrows a lot from Dragonball Z, basically designing many of its characters personalities after the characters from the other IP, but how many exactly are, and who are they "homages" to?

Sonic was always a Goku analogue, especially in "super" mode. (it could be argued that the werehog mode from Unleashed might have a reference to the lunar ape mode as well).
Knuckles is the gruff Piccolo, that starts as an antagonist, but quickly becomes a friendly rival, while remaining a different species.
Shadow would be Vegeta by this logic, the dark brooding anti-hero that also starts as a major villain, bearing a strong resemblance to the hero.
And Silver is painfully obviously a Trunks homage, traveling through time to prevent his own apocalypse.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm not going to try any harder than that obvious surface level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

quote:

It's more like if you wrote a history book and then didn't include WWII because really, that's so played out already. It's supposed to be a chronicling of all he's been through, and even though not every game got a level, there's probably at least one song/piece of art/cameo/easter egg referring to even the more easily forgotten games.

I've only played bits and pieces of the game, so I haven't explored it much. Are there callbacks to the weird games, like the Tails game gear ones, or the master system Flicky game?

• Locked thread