Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
But bonk.wav and kidscheering.wav are the sign of a big budget production...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

gatz posted:

The music is loving terrible, but calling it midi music is a clear misunderstanding of what midi is. Midi is data that doesn't contain any sound: midi 101

E: I've also never heard someone call music "a MIDI". I'd love to know what you were going for.

It's like reading my own posts! People always assume flat sounding things with terrible instruments or even beeps for some reason are automatically midi, regardless of source. Nevermind the fact midi can sound like anything and have any quality based on the output and the person crafting it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

One specific piece of music is literally Snappleman's "Malicious Fingers" remix from the Project Chaos OCR album of "Doomsday zone" just... terribly made

This is the music in Chronicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

This is Malicious Fingers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycSJZS5VJIo

So this actually raises a question for me. Since clearly ones actually a well produced remix and the other is... that. Does this mean that Bioware didn't just download the remix. they did so, then produced a worse version of it?

No, no it's not. They used the original. Like if someone REALLY botched the conversion job in Sonic 1 for GBA. Instruments are missing, notes are missing, whatever happened, it's the exact same song as the original with big bites taken out of it and all the BEST instrument choices.

Besides, that remix is basically the same song as the original, with little to no changes.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 22, 2013

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

Is it just me or did they not even bother to account for the DS screen gap on that.

Not everyone does this, especially since it's going to be variable anyway. Some games will even do both.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

That miniboss music just seems like generic fart drums to me. That is, there's no actual music in the part you're speaking of, just drums.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

When I played the Sonic games, I always assumed Robotnik/Eggman built all this poo poo like what you find in star light zone and the others for no reason other than to build it. I had no business assuming people existed when a guy is enslaving animals to make robots that populate all these areas that only seem to serve as defenses that stand between anyone and the guy who made it all happen.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

At least if we don't look at Mighty and Ray. Or Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper, Or the Chaotix in gener- Who thought it was only after the Classic series ended that Sonic got a bunch of friends again?!
Chaotix was a Knuckles game so nobody ever really met Sonic directly for the life of the older series, Nack was an enemy, and Ray is an ill-conceived idea in an obscure game. Sonic really didn't have any friends until they decided to mash everybody together.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

They were actual useful characters. The ones they added later were not, and most of them only got talking roles. The rest were either clones or were given gameplay mechanics that didn't make them worth playing. Also they were forced upon you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

No.

If you like this games writing, then you would love the comics as they are written by Ian Flynn.

Uhh, why did you give Off Panel as an example? Those are purposely taking the piss out of the comic.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

To be fair, it's hard to cram both a grinning face and a giant nose and mustache in only a few pixels of space.

The game pretty much is Unfinished Assets: The Game, though. I feel like I've already said this before.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

YggiDee posted:

All the posts here and in the BSS 'worst runs' thread had kind of the opposite intended effect and I ended up checking out the Mega Man / Sonic crossover. Now I want to read more of it. :negative:

It's OK, Penders is dead. It's safe to read comic books now.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

(Ignoring the fact that Dulcy is literally outcast from her race, and the ring in her nose was put there as a mark of shame to prevent her from using her fire. But that's another stupid story)
I don't remember that. Is that another thing the comic made up out of nowhere?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I think the correct phrase is "everyone ruins everything". Haven't been wrong so far. This game is a pretty good example of it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Well, the manual isn't really saying that. It's still entirely possible for you to not get it until the actual reveal.

• Locked thread