Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone identify this hawk? My abilities are limited to asking "does it have a red tail", and this time the answer is no. Taken in Calgary, Alberta.

edit: The consensus among my friends is Merlin. Are we right?

I think so? Looks good, especially with the banding on the tail. Do you know what it was eating? That might help give us some scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's likely a merlin, but they're small, smaller than a magpie or a bluejay, a little bigger than a robin. If you heard it, a merlin makes very high-pitched, short repeated calls, kinda "EEEP EEP EEP EEP EEEEEP!" They fly with their wings held straight out from the body, flapping very rapidly but not moving through a long range of motion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think so? Looks good, especially with the banding on the tail. Do you know what it was eating? That might help give us some scale.

A pigeon. So yeah, that's a small raptor.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yep, that's a female Merlin. The only other North American raptor that gets white eyebrows like that is the Broad-winged Hawk, and that's not a Broad-winged Hawk.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Got a mockingbird PUA in my neighborhood that is hitting the nocturnal songs pretty hard lately, as you do, and it's been an interesting repertoire. Every once in a while he works in "car alarm goes like this" and "baby bird goes like this." Just heard him cover a tiny bit of "croaking frog," which is a first for my ears. I used to share an alley with a car lot and my backyard mockingbird at the time would work all the sounds from "Viper car alarm" into his routine.

Anyone hear any other interesting mimicking you've encountered in your birding? This question is not limited to mockingbirds (although they pretty much rule--and know it.)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I had what I initially thought was a Cassin's Vireo singing a month or so ago. Quite early for my location though and it didn't sound quite perfect. I had recently seen some listserv chatter about Purple Finches singing Cassin's song and when I finally got on the bird it was indeed a Purple Finch. Crappy thing is that I was birding that same area a few weeks later and I had another Cassin's sounding bird. This was was in better habitat and sounded much better, but I couldn't shake the fact that it might be a Purple Finch. I never got a look at it one way or another.

I'm in Charlotte for two weeks. I spent Sunday birding the Blue Ridge Parkway and nearby areas. Picked up 15 warbler species including Swainson's, Cerulean, and Worm-Eating.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Got a mockingbird PUA in my neighborhood that is hitting the nocturnal songs pretty hard lately, as you do, and it's been an interesting repertoire. Every once in a while he works in "car alarm goes like this" and "baby bird goes like this." Just heard him cover a tiny bit of "croaking frog," which is a first for my ears. I used to share an alley with a car lot and my backyard mockingbird at the time would work all the sounds from "Viper car alarm" into his routine.

Anyone hear any other interesting mimicking you've encountered in your birding? This question is not limited to mockingbirds (although they pretty much rule--and know it.)

Once, ages ago before I got into birds, I watched a bird (retroactively identified from ancient memory as I think a brown thrasher) doing the "bleep bleep" sound of disabling a car alarm, the backup beeps of a large vehicle, and a little bit of firetruck klaxon. It was hiding in a bush next to a parking lot and firehall and equipment yard at the airport.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Can't see the bird I heard earlier, but now I think it may be a catbird. When the catbird MEW goes off it's full-hearted and LOUD. Much louder than the other parts of the repertoire.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
C-c-c-COMBO POST

Just saw an earful of cedar waxwings fly by. :neckbeard:

I've spotted them only a few times in my life here in west Kentucky. My initial reaction is always "WTF was that?" Even in silhouette they look too exotic for this region.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arriviste posted:

The ones in my neighborhood in California go through all sorts of calls- robin, flicker, acorn woodpecker, phoebe, frog, duck. Most of the neighbors want to kill it but I think it's the coolest thing.

I don't know why this sticks with me, but I once heard a starling on a bridge over an inlet do an amazing copy of someone casting a fishing line (SZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz....) Sounded just like it.

Heading to Spain next week- not much birding but hoping to see Flamingos!

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Arriviste posted:

I just realized I heard a Mockingbird in Pasadena doing the normal horn of the Metro train, it's a quiet buzzing, not a normal full on train horn.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Years ago I lived in Vancouver, which is full of starlings. Walking up to the bus one morning I heard the call of a Red-Tailed Hawk, coming from the top of a nearby traffic light post. That starling had delusions of grandeur, I think.

That same walk included the occasional raven. They make all sorts of strange noises, I've heard what sounded like "BONG!", like a grandfather clock, as well as the sound of a child randomly smacking a xylophone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Years ago I lived in Vancouver, which is full of starlings. Walking up to the bus one morning I heard the call of a Red-Tailed Hawk, coming from the top of a nearby traffic light post. That starling had delusions of grandeur, I think.

That same walk included the occasional raven. They make all sorts of strange noises, I've heard what sounded like "BONG!", like a grandfather clock, as well as the sound of a child randomly smacking a xylophone.

Ravens make such excellent noises. Especially if you catch one in a tree quietly mumbling to itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey there bird enthusiasts. Was hoping someone could help me with an inquiry of mine on what bird makes this sound(quote from the Critterquest thread):

Captain Invictus posted:

Critterquesters, I'd like your help. My favorite bird call that I hear all the time is "EEWEE!" "EEWEE!" What bird makes this sound? It's a kind of a whiny call. I live in Massachusetts, outside Boston. I thought it was a Mockingbird, but I'm not sure. Try making the EEEEEEE sound of a mosquito with your mouth, but then say "EEWEE". That's exactly the sound they make, nasally whine and all.

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. :)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey there bird enthusiasts. Was hoping someone could help me with an inquiry of mine on what bird makes this sound(quote from the Critterquest thread):

Catboid?

e: For Bostonians, I guess it would be Catbaahrd. Also, check out the "Mew" call in the link above.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Could also be an Eastern phoebe whose song is a "FEE-BEE" as two distinct syllables. They are all over the place in Mass and NH. If you see one, it's really easy to identify as it's perched it flicks its tail up and down. It also makes mossy nests in the crooks of buildings.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Captain Invictus posted:

If you can make a recording with your phone (most phones have a voice note app or similar) we could probably nail it, assuming neither of the two suggestions above is it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Have a look at this guy:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Wood-Pewee/sounds
Their song sounds like what you describe, and I can see how it could be a favourite.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arriviste posted:

Catboid?

e: For Bostonians, I guess it would be Catbaahrd. Also, check out the "Mew" call in the link above.
It's totally a catbird. I checked a bunch of videos but this one towards the end definitely starts sounding almost exactly like it, though not as pronounced or hilariously whiny as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGHKKnzQvk

Thanks a lot!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw a pileated woodpecker this afternoon on my way in to work. :) Was making the hike from the parking lot to the office when I heard a loud THUNK THUNK THUNK, like someone hitting something with a wooden mallet. Looked around for the sound and it was a pileated high up on a pine tree wailing away. No mistaking a crow-sized woodpecker with a red crest for anything else, and wish I had my camera on me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A grouse (Spruce Grouse? I think so) and I surprised each other when I was hiking up a ridge in the foothills / Rocky Mountains transition area. After taking a few quick pictures, I turned it to video in time to capture his (her?) attempt to drive me away. That attempt was successful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Tj5unsHp4

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
This thread reminded me of the Asian Koel I used to hear all the time when I lived in Singapore. I didn't actually remember the name, just had to search "loud Singapore bird" to find tons of angry posts about it. I'll admit it annoyed the hell out of me too for a while, but now I really miss it :( .Birds are cool.

https://youtu.be/_EZ66v4T7Zw

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Hi goons, I took a boat trip around the Bass Rock which is off the coast of Scotland. It is home to the largest colony of gannets in the world. I saw so many birds my head nearly exploded.

The island looks white from a distance because so many birds nest on it.

Holy gently caress!

Gannets chilling in their nests.

Guillemots

Puffin

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Oh my god, that gannetsplosion is mind-boggling.

Getting a close-up look at a male Wood Duck has been on my to-do list for a long time. I noticed that one of my local friends posted a picture of one in Sequoia Park's duck pond a few days ago, so I went by to check it out and found out that there's a whole family of them there.

wood-duck-drake1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

duckling-pounce by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

duck-poofs by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

woodduck-mother-child by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Hello bird thread! I'm pretty sure I found some owl pellets in by backyard yesterday

I think owls are totally awesome animals, and I've never seen one in the wild that I can recall. Is there a good chance I might see it if I watch for it, or are they unlikely to visit the same areas in the short term?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Hello bird thread! I'm pretty sure I found some owl pellets in by backyard yesterday

I think owls are totally awesome animals, and I've never seen one in the wild that I can recall. Is there a good chance I might see it if I watch for it, or are they unlikely to visit the same areas in the short term?

I'd definitely guess owl pellet on that as well- not impossible it's some other type of large bird but owl seems really likely. Owls can definitely use habitual roosts for a while, so it might be worth checking perches right above where you found the pellet. If there's a dense tree, it could be a day roost and the bird could be hiding out there, but if it's something they use more dusk/night, you may have to get lucky and see it fly in at dusk. Note that Great Horned Owls at least can be pretty active during the day when they are feeding their big babies, so keep an eye out in your neighborhood and maybe you'll find them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Keep an eye out for "white wash" on nearby trees or foliage (where they poop). That's usually a good candidate for a roost. They can be super hard to see in a tree unless they're big and and there aren't too many trees leaves because of their camouflage. Check close to tree trunks.

Edit trees=leaves

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 7, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the info. I found it right under a good sized dogwood, so there's definitely a good perch nearby, but not an especially dense one. I'll see if there's any concentration of bird poop around there and watch for owls in the evening. There's a couple bedroom windows nearby I could watch from, so I'll try to be stealthy and see what happens.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Good luck! It's always a treat to see an owl in the wild, no matter how many you've seen. :)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Organization of North America's bird species: List updated

Biologists have made several major updates to the organization of the North America's bird species. The updated work groups birds into genera, families, and orders based on their evolutionary relationships, and some of the most significant changes in this year's work involve the tanagers, family Thraupidae.

Full text of the 56th Supplement

The Checklist of North and Middle American Birds -- up to Supplement 55.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
This is the birdwatching thread and I want them for watching birds, so I thought I'd ask -- does anyone have a recommendation for decent binoculars that aren't hugely expensive? We're in the middle of huge pastures which means a lot of birds, and I'd like to be able to see them in more detail when they're far off.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

This is the birdwatching thread and I want them for watching birds, so I thought I'd ask -- does anyone have a recommendation for decent binoculars that aren't hugely expensive? We're in the middle of huge pastures which means a lot of birds, and I'd like to be able to see them in more detail when they're far off.

Nikon Monarchs are a good bet- 8x are usually recommended unless you have used binoculars a lot in the past and/or have really steady hands in which case 10 x wouldn't be too wobbly. There are a lot of good brands in about that price range ($2-300)- there's a slightly old ranking at Cornell's site.

If you can get to a Cabela's or Wild Birds Unlimited or somewhere with a selection, never a bad idea to try out a few and see which ones feel best in your hands. Just don't look through any expensive ones or you may have a hard time living with your entry-levels...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That would be a huge temptation if I tried them, the number of birds here in northern NM is staggering, especially since we got an unusual amount of rain so far this summer. Geese in the pond, Mountain Bluebirds in the trees, swallows nesting under the eaves of our roof. It's all very dramatic.

Thank you for the link and information! The variety available online is kind of huge.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If portability isn't as much of a concern you might look into spotting scopes as well.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, good idea. It's not something I'm going to be carrying too far, so I'll check those out as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF, a mama frogmouth and chick.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Kenshin posted:

If portability isn't as much of a concern you might look into spotting scopes as well.

Speaking of which -- what do people use for tripods? On one hand the selection on amazon is positively overwhelming, on the other hand the only place I found locally that sells any is an Audubon outpost that has the choice of $300 w/o head, or $700 w/o head. For a meager Alpen scope I had hoped to get away with something in the $150 range plus maybe a $70 head. Any practical recommendation would go a long way.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF, a mama frogmouth and chick.

I'm still not convinced that frogmouths aren't some elaborate, beyond-the-grave hoax of Jim Henson. They're such ridiculous-looking muppet birds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tendai posted:

I'm still not convinced that frogmouths aren't some elaborate, beyond-the-grave hoax of Jim Henson. They're such ridiculous-looking muppet birds.

Where are they from, anyway? I'd never heard of frogmouths before seeing that post, but they look very similar to the whipoorwills we have here in the eastern US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alpens are great scopes, don't knock them. Most cheap scopes look janky when you zoom in. Alpens definitely punch above their weight. Maybe just my experience, but it's a lot harder to get a good value on binoculars than scopes. Those big glass elements!

You might check out Eagle Optics- looks like they have a range of tripods as well as all the optics you could dream of. A few models in your price range. Maybe give them a call and see what they'd recommend based on your expected use. I've gone through them for work stuff and they're really helpful and I didn't get the feeling they were trying to push me towards more expensive stuff.