Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My girlfriend and I have gotten into birding recently, I'm really enjoying it. It's a great excuse to get out into the outdoors and really gets you to take in all that's around you. You stop and look for a while and all the creatures that you see, it's amazing. I liked birds before but never really realized just how many there are around doing bird things while you just walk past doing people things. I like watching the bird behavior as much as anything, I saw some Moorhens fighting in the water which was cool, they kick at each other with their enormous feet. Some nesting cormorants in a tree too, the way they greeted each other was cool to watch. The people you meet are usually pretty friendly too, and happy to point out things they've seen.
Anyway I thought I'd share this because it was so cool. Bitterns are awesome.

x-posting from the making GBS threads birds thread in the dorkroom:

Linedance posted:

I went birding with my girlfriend yesterday at some old gravel pits converted to wetlands up in Hertfordshire. We saw a few Snipe, which are cool freaky but cute waders with enormous beaks. Normally very hard to spot because of their camouflage, but these guys were relatively easy to spot from the one lookout point.

Common Snipe by Ruth's Bird Pictures, on Flickr

Common Snipe by Ruth's Bird Pictures, on Flickr

But the highlight that I have to share is this Eurasian Bittern! Photos are a bit grainy because they were taken with EXXXTREME zoom, but what a cool bird! I was watching it in our scope (now my camera is back from repair I'm going to try some digiscoping, see how that works out). It's like a dinosaur or something, the way it skulked across the reeds... so awesome, I think it's my favourite bird at the moment.

Eurasian Bittern by Ruth's Bird Pictures, on Flickr

Eurasian Bittern by Ruth's Bird Pictures, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Got to see Pink-footed Geese today. WOW!! Now there's a rarity! That one isn't even in most of the books here.

That's pretty cool, I saw a snow goose the other day at some ex gravel pits in Surrey. Not supposed to be there, but there none the less. A local mentioned that a few may have escaped captivity and had been seen around, but refugees are welcome in my books.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

What a horrible birding winter. Almost no owls and not much else either. Now that the birds are migrating back it's awesome to get out there and see some variety again!

On that subject, I found a mixed group of ducks yesterday in a flooded farmer's field. Green-wing Teals, Northern Pintails (lifer), Mallards, Northern Shovellers, possible Cinnamon Teal, and this mystery on the right:

That's a Northern Pintail beside it for reference. Any ideas what it is?

This is in Alberta, Canada.

looks like an American Wigeon

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve east of London today with my girlfriend, it was a really great day out. At first it was all just the usual suspects, but about halfway around I saw a common tern from one of the hides (the really nice one if you've been), and a weird coloured mallard female, then got into the boardwalk through the reeds and saw a few sedge warblers, instead of just hearing them, and saw a couple of little grebes sitting on nests. The second one had its little chicks out in the water and then they crawled back under mom for warmth :3:. Then the best bit, we ran into a couple of staffers who'd seen us at the beginning of the trail (it took us nearly 4 hours to do the loop) and they asked us what we'd seen, and once I suppose we'd been deemed worthy, they told us where to go to check out a barn owl in its nest box... we followed their directions and with our scope found the owl's secret little box in a chestnut tree... got to see it preening its breast, and its full face! Pretty cool. The other highlight for me was that there's a bunch of nesting Northern Lapwing there, and I love those things. They'd aggressively chase any crow that came near with their crazy flippy floppy aerobatic flight, and then swoop and dive and flop about back to ground. I could watch those guys flying around all day.
I highly recommend it as a place to go birding around London. We drove, but it's fairly accessible by train from central as well (Fenchurch to Purfleet, then about a mile walk).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I love how sparrows seem to just go crazy when they sing. CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP! all goddam day long. Why don't we ever hear sparrows with laryngitis? It seems like they must suffer from such afflictions, given the level of effort they put into shouting "HEY!" over and over.

You're thinking of European house sparrows (which are invasive in North America.) They're cute but kind of annoying and bully other birds.
This is a white throated sparrow, it can actually carry a tune!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KM9AHOXhu1A.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

I just saw a new (to me) bird and I've done a little research to try and name it. I have concluded that it was likely a Golden Eagle or a Juvenile Bald Eagle, but both of these species don't stay as far south as Ithaca, NY in the summer according to those links!

I have seen this bird a couple of times but they are very brief spots, so it is tough to distinguish it visually. And it hasn't made any noise. What are some more advanced methods I could use to differentiate between these two species?

It seems like I should be able to rule out (or not) a juvenile species based on the time of year, but I am not sure where to go for a source on that kind of information.

Edit: I got a good look at its belly and I think there was too much white for it to be a golden eagle based on this information. Neat!

I think it's too early for golden eagles, and although it could be a baldy, if you didn't get a good look at its head, it could be a turkey vulture. I saw a HUGE bird recently that made me immediately think "eagle" having seen baldies on the west coast, but subsequently turned out to be a turkey vulture (not a bird I'm familiar with, though I've seen a whole bunch very recently so I guess now I am). If it had a lot of pale on its underside and was mahooosive, that would be my first guess (I'm in Toronto so not too far geographically from you).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just got back from Point Pelee, Ontario. Holy Crap! I didn't know Blue Jays came in flocks! Safety in numbers I guess, because there were probably at least 50 or 60 Sharp Shinned hawks in the two days we were there, plus a handful of Coopers, Broad Wingeds, Merlins, Kestrels, Northern Harriers, maybe a Peregrine, at least one, possibly two Bald Eagles, and a mess of Turkey Vultures. Raptor migration is wonderfully visible from that spot! Most of the little birds were understandably keeping a low profile, but we did catch a few in the woods. The Monarch butterfly migration was really cool to witness too, it was like being in a butterfly house only outside, in the wild. Highly recommend the trip at some point whether fall or spring migration to anyone in Ontario or around the south side of Lake Erie too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Over in the Bird Photography thread, there's been some discussion of interspecies aggression including Coots and Wood Ducks. I was going to post this there but there's no photo and this kind of discussion seems better suited to this thread.

It took a bit of digging, but I found the evidence that shows American Coots, Fulica americana are indeed utter bastards that attack other waterbirds all the drat time.

Dr. Brent Gurd completed his PhD at Simon Fraser University while I was in the middle of my Master's in the same department. He gave a talk one day about the patterns of aggression among waterbirds, related to their evolutionary relationships - he was chasing down an hypothesis about adaptive radiation among dabbling ducks. One of his observations was that the dabbling ducks form a hierarchy, with each species showing aggression mainly towards conspecifics, and to at most two other species. The top of the heirarchy (Northern Shovelers, if I remember correctly) never bother to beat on middle- or bottom-rung species like Teals or Widgeons. The stand-out exception was the American Coot, a right bastard that beats up every other bird on the pond.

This is panel B of figure 5-3 from his Dissertation (copyright Brent Gurd 2005, I don't actually have permission for this but I think it counts as fair use and appropriately referenced.) The relevant text from the figure caption is:

The expected frequencies come from a null model that assumes aggression is random and determined simply by the frequency of each species in a given area. Coots are way more aggressive than that.

From memory (I haven't read his thesis), the underlying reason has to do with egg production and egg/hatchling survival and causes of mortality. Baby Coots die of starvation more often than do other waterbirds, and Coots lay up to 20 eggs each season, compared to around 6-10 for most ducks. So Coot parents go berserk to drive competitors for food (i.e. dabbling ducks) away to ensure their offspring can have enough food.

They're just like every other hyperactive unreasonable parent, in other words.

I've got very little experience with the American version, but the Eurasian Coots, from what I've seen, will be aggressive towards basically everything with wings. I've watched them chase off gulls twice their size just for standing on the wrong bit of dirt island. Their kick-fights amongst their own kind are pretty funny to watch as well. Less funny, as documented in Life of Birds, is how they attack their own chicks to weed out the weaker ones.

e- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw46rzx1Bc&t=612s

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to Ashbridges Bay in Toronto today with my partner (she's the hardcore birder, I'm more casual). There were the usual assorted Bufflehead (cute as heck ducks), Long Tailed ducks (females look like juggalos), and Mergansers, Scaup, etc. bobbing around on the lake, and some aggressive chickadees landing on us looking for a handout. The main highlights were a mixed flock of redpoll and pine siskin gorging on alder seeds. Oh and a rough legged hawk that flew over just after we arrived! Seems all the arctic species have started to be driven south by the recent weather.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm going to be driving down from Seattle to San Fran starting tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone had some good birding recommendations? We're in no hurry, though we'll likely hit the 5 as far as southern Oregon before picking up the 101 and 1 once in California. Arcata marsh is one place we're planning on hitting, but other than that we're pretty much winging it, with no real itinerary or pressing schedule.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Oh wow, I didn't even know this thread existed. I guess I recognize a lot of the regulars in here from the bird photography thread over in Dorkroom.

I did my first "go find specific birds" chase today, going after a snowy owl in at the marina in Edmonds, WA (didn't find it) and a american white pelican in Lake Sammamish right next to the State Park boat jetty (found it!). The pelican is quite rare up here west of the Cascades.

My partner saw the snowy at Edmonds (I think she saw the same list as you). Got a few photos but it's hard to see if they're any good on the camera LCD. There were lots of people out to see it. She wasn't sure if it was all together all right, it looked like it was panting a lot. There looks like maybe some blood around its mouth? But that may have been from a recent meal. We'll have to check the photos once we're back home at the computer. We made it to Arcata this evening, stopping at Emigrant Lake in Oregon. No golden eagles (though one maybe flew high overhead when we were on the interstate), but we got some good views of a kestrel, a prairie falcon, acorn woodpeckers, and assorted little birds like Western bluebirds, golden crowned sparrows, juncos and probably lesser goldfinches. It's absolutely gorgeous country down there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

We spent half the day in Arcata Marsh today, what an amazing birding spot!
Now I know how Moon Potato gets all his incredible photos! It's definitely worth the drive from wherever you're at.
We even saw the white tailed kite! Beautiful bird. Tomorrow we're either going to hit Point Reyes or San Pablo Bay, depending on what the weather is doing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Could use some help id'ing this guy:

kingbird sp1 by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

We think he's a tropical kingbird, but he's definitely a vagrant if he is. When flycatching off his post, he didn't have the black tail or dark back like a western kingbird, and his tail was quite long. He was seen near one of the ranches on the way to the lighthouse at Point Reyes near San Francisco.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Please help with an ID birding thread, I cannot find this in my Sibley guide but it's probably because I don't know where to look, and neither Merlin Bird ID nor Backyard Bird Finder helped.

I took a picture of it this morning around 9:30am at Three Forks Natural Area in Snoqualmie, WA. It looked like around the size of a finch or large sparrow. This was the only shot I got of it before it flew off.

Have a look at Brewer's / Rusty blackbird. Range is more Brewer's, but colouration is more female Rusty.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

The colors just don't seem right for either of those--it has the eyes of the Rusty blackbird but sort of the coloration of a very light Brewer's. I suppose Lek could be correct and it's a hybrid?

That was the only shot I got off before it took off, and it was 40-50 ft away.

It's more the eye stripe that makes me think rusty, female brewers can sometimes have a pale eye.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Ok, probably just an extra-light female brewer's blackbird then.

Maybe ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

alnilam posted:

Hi I really like birds! I've thought about getting into birding casually, but I haven't yet. I think birds are really cool and I hike a lot and birds are one of my fav things about going on hikes, other than trees.

Recently I saw a really cool woodpecker in eastern/central Maryland, who had a reticulated look, like rings around the neck / upper body. It was white and brown as far as i could tell, it had the cool punk rock red mohawk thing, and there was a ring or two around the neck/upper body. What kind of woodpecker would this likely be? Is this enough info to ID that bird?

Cool, I'm pretty much the same way. I've always loved the outdoors, and plants, trees, and wildlife. My partner is huge into birding and it's rubbed off on me. Birds are really cool, especially when you start paying attention to them. Was your woodpecker huge, dark, and tearing the poo poo out of a tree, with a massive red mohawk? If so, probably a pileated. By the sounds of it though it was more likely a red-bellied woodpecker. Could be a northern flicker, if it was more brown, had a spotty breast, and only a small red dot on the back of its head.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

froward posted:

do any of you ever harness your birds and go jogging/biking while the bird flies along, or rides on your shoulder?

No, but my friend once found a juvenile crow hiding under a car beset by several cats on the way back from the pub. He picked it up and carried out away to safety. When he let go of it, it hopped onto his shoulder and rode there until he got back to his flat, where he had to take it down and put it by a tree.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

Edit: I saw this guy off the coast near Freshwater Lagoon today as the sunlight was fading. I'm thinking juvenile Surf Scoter or White-winged Scoter, but I'm not finding photos of either that are really a spot-on match. Anyone have a better guess than me?

Looks like a female surf scoter to me, though possibly a juvenile. If you lightened the exposure some to bring out any markings around the back of the head and beak, it might make it easier. As it is though, with the head shape and beak shape, plus the white patch on the back and possibly a little white around the base of the beak, I think female surf scoter is closest.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Any southern Alberta birders care to speculate on what bird I saw based only on rough description?
I was going up a chairlift at sunshine village and saw a raven chasing a small grayish raptor around. They landed in a couple of nearby trees while the raven croaked at it. My first impression was some kind of falcon, it was about half the size of the raven. As the chair went past, I got the impression it's head was too broad to be a falcon, and I think I noticed some ear tufts. So some kind of small owl? Mostly grey, slightly paler breast, looked like maybe some dark possibly black marks around the face. Too small to be a male northern harrier.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The only gray owl with east tufts in that area appears to be Great Horned, but it would be pretty close in size to a Raven. Northern Hawk Owl kinda fits your description, minus the ear tufts, and is proportioned more like a falcon than most owls. They're also active in daylight. Google some photos and see if it looks right?

Yup, did a bit of research once I got back and I'm pretty sure it was a Northern Hawk Owl. It explains my initial reaction that it was some kind of falcon when I saw it flying (long, thin tail), and the ear tufts weren't so much ear tufts, as an illusion of them made by the facial patterning/colouring. Having looked at photos and ID tips, I'm almost certain that's what it was. Cool, never expected to see an owl out on a ski hill!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rakins posted:

I might have missed it but what would be a good pair of binoculars in the 200-300 range to get started?

There can/will be arguments as long as a piece of string about this, but Eagle Optics make excellent bins in all price ranges, and in that price range I'd go with their Ranger ED. I have a pair of Shrikes that I got for cheap, and they are decent cheap bins, my partner went through the whole binoculars shopping anxiety thing and ended up with the Ranger EDs. Unless you're doubling your budget, you won't find much better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arriviste posted:

I'm only a few pages into this thread, but had to pop in and say:

Guys! GUYS! I just saw a male kestrel! He cruised over my balcony and landed in a tree across the street, but took off immediately before I could get a blurry snapshot. So striking.

Only other raptors I've spotted this close in the past few years are sharp-shinneds. (Local funeral home keeps release "doves" and the sharp-shinneds appreciate it.)

--Lowertown Paducah, KY, US

Thats pretty sweet, kestrels are beautiful birds, with all those oranges and blues! They're quite colourful for a raptor. I'm out on the west coast at the moment doing some birding and it's raptor crazy our here. Bald eagles everywhere, harriers, the odd red tailed hawk, we even saw a golden eagle!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

The Palo Alto Baylands should be excellent this time of year. I've been out there a few times, and it's alway full of bird life. Coyote Hills Regional Park over by Fremont looks like a pretty phenomenal hotspot too, but I haven't explored it myself. I'll be checking it out when I visit the Bay Area next month, but I guess that won't be in time to give you a trip report.

We're getting occasional visits from the first Northern Saw-whet Owl to be documented at Arcata marsh since 2008. The Anna's Hummingbirds kept waking it up when I staked out its roost for an afternoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41sOfGPXzQ4

how do people even find these guys? I've been to a bunch of places where they supposedly are resident and roosting, and have never seen one. Is it a matter of meticulously digging through every pine tree in the whole area and hoping to get lucky? Is there some species of owl whisperer birder that just knows where to look, and once found their location spreads through word of mouth? If it weren't for photographic evidence, I'd be suspicious there even is such a thing as a saw-whet owl.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

On the off chance there's some Aussies about, what sort of bird hot spots are there sort of day trip distance around Brisbane? Would it be worth the effort to fly up to Cairns for a day or two? I'm going next week for about a week.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just been in Queensland, Aus for a week and a bit, some around Brisbane's northern suburbs and hinterland, and a few days at O'Reillys rainforest retreat in lamington national park. Holy crap the birds! My partner and I saw pretty near a hundred life birds. What a wonderful place! I highly recommend O'Reillys for both birding and hiking and cool eucalyptus and rain forest. My favourite birds from the trip were the laughing kookaburra, Eastern whipbird, and paradise riflebird. Will spam the photos thread once I get some good ones processed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Got a mockingbird PUA in my neighborhood that is hitting the nocturnal songs pretty hard lately, as you do, and it's been an interesting repertoire. Every once in a while he works in "car alarm goes like this" and "baby bird goes like this." Just heard him cover a tiny bit of "croaking frog," which is a first for my ears. I used to share an alley with a car lot and my backyard mockingbird at the time would work all the sounds from "Viper car alarm" into his routine.

Anyone hear any other interesting mimicking you've encountered in your birding? This question is not limited to mockingbirds (although they pretty much rule--and know it.)

Once, ages ago before I got into birds, I watched a bird (retroactively identified from ancient memory as I think a brown thrasher) doing the "bleep bleep" sound of disabling a car alarm, the backup beeps of a large vehicle, and a little bit of firetruck klaxon. It was hiding in a bush next to a parking lot and firehall and equipment yard at the airport.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Years ago I lived in Vancouver, which is full of starlings. Walking up to the bus one morning I heard the call of a Red-Tailed Hawk, coming from the top of a nearby traffic light post. That starling had delusions of grandeur, I think.

That same walk included the occasional raven. They make all sorts of strange noises, I've heard what sounded like "BONG!", like a grandfather clock, as well as the sound of a child randomly smacking a xylophone.

Ravens make such excellent noises. Especially if you catch one in a tree quietly mumbling to itself.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey there bird enthusiasts. Was hoping someone could help me with an inquiry of mine on what bird makes this sound(quote from the Critterquest thread):

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. :)

Have a look at this guy:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Wood-Pewee/sounds
Their song sounds like what you describe, and I can see how it could be a favourite.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Hello bird thread! I'm pretty sure I found some owl pellets in by backyard yesterday

I think owls are totally awesome animals, and I've never seen one in the wild that I can recall. Is there a good chance I might see it if I watch for it, or are they unlikely to visit the same areas in the short term?

Keep an eye out for "white wash" on nearby trees or foliage (where they poop). That's usually a good candidate for a roost. They can be super hard to see in a tree unless they're big and and there aren't too many trees leaves because of their camouflage. Check close to tree trunks.

Edit trees=leaves

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 7, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I don't think cliff swallows make nests like that, do they? Huh. I used Merlin earlier and couldn't come up with anything either.

From Sibley's:

quote:

nests mostly on manmade structures such as under bridges or house eaves...Nest a gourd-shaped mud cone with small entrance hole

Although it says it nests in tightly packed clusters in large colonies, large colonies have to start somewhere!

I think it's cliff swallows, based on the description.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I crossed two birding goals of my bucket list yesterday morning. While seawatching in Puget Sound I spotted an odd bird flying away from me about a mile away. Another birder and I followed it in our scopes for about 40 minutes before it finally came close enough to confirm my suspicions. Brown Booby! Not only a first county record for my home county, but also the first bird I've ever found that's a review species for my home state (10th WA record, if accepted).

Cool! My partner just looked it up, apparently it was spotted later hitching a lift on a boat down to Edmonds waterfront. Great spot for birds there, that's where she saw the snowy owl last year. Need to get out west again soon!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Does anyone have any experience looking for southward-bound migrants in southern or southwestern Ontario in autumn?

I am nearing the end of my field work season, and by early-October I will be in Kitchener-Waterloo, not too far from the north shores of both lakes Erie and Ontario. Google maps shows me a number of provincial parks and wildlife refuges along those shores, would Canadian thanksgiving (mid-October) be a good time to look for birds pausing before hopping over the water?

Definitely go to Point Pelee. We went around the same time last year, there were shitloads of raptors making their way down. Little woodland birds were a little sparse, they were mostly gone already or just laying low. Leamington is a nice town too and there's good accommodation around. There is a bird festival some time around then I believe, so during that time the accommodation will be pretty booked solid, but the rest of the time should be fine.
You should also catch the monarch butterfly migration, it's pretty amazing. They all stage at the point before crossing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Looks like I'm going down to Texas in a couple of days, for a couple of days. The plan, such as it is, is to head down the gulf coast from Houston, taking in the coast and Rio grande valley possibly. I know less than nothing about the area. Any tips?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks! I have family in Leamington, looks like I have an excuse to both get down there and get away from the awkward stories at the same time.

When do the Monarchs happen?

We were there at the end of September and the trees were still pretty heavy with them at the point. Not sure how late they hang around though.

I guess don't leave it too late.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Welp, change of plans. Going to Vancouver instead. Probably check out reifel, Iona, Boundary Bay again, or might head up the sunshine Coast for a day. Will do Texas in the winter. Better birds, better weather!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My partner found four golden crowned kinglets entangled in burrs (from invasive burdock) the other day. 3 on one cluster, one already dead. She couldn't free them up because they're so tiny so she took them to the humane society who thankfully were able to help. They freed the two, but one seemed to have a broken wing. She was going to take them to the wildlife rescue center, but they operate on an on-call triage basis and were at the other end of the city. She decided since they were freaking out in the box they were in to let them go back in the park. The liveliest one flew right out and called back to its companion, who hopped onto the edge of the box before flying to the bush. I guess its wing wasn't that bad. Anyway, it's better off there where it can forage and hopefully heal up.
She then found another, its face all mashed against its wing/shoulder with a burr. This one was too entangled to attempt anything with so she brought it home and we were going to bring it to the wildlife center in the morning. Sadly it didn't make it. It must have really hurt itself trying to free itself from the burr. Some other people found a magnolia warbler and a winter wren in a similar situation. I think the high winds might have driven the little birds to forage in the low lying burdock and that's what hosed them up.
gently caress burrs!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

neckbeard posted:

I saw a magpie with no tail feathers today, it was an odd sight.

It probably had a run in with a cat.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I always seem to see good birds when I go out snowboarding. Last year I saw a northern hawk owl getting harassed by a couple of crows at sunshine village while going up the lift, and last week at kicking horse I flushed a white tailed ptarmigan after I tripped up on a tree root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EVG posted:

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread, but is there a place I can pick peoples brains about birdseed? I'm an amateur bird feeder and haven't managed to settle on a good bird seed / feeder combo for the birds I'd ideally like to see. I live in Chicago in a 6th floor condo with a Juliet balcony (opens on one side only with a foot wide ledge) and have out a couple different feeder types.

At first I was getting cardinals and finches and a downy woodpecker until my seed ran out and I bought a new bag - then it was nothing but sparrows and pigeons.

It seems to be milo that attracts pigeons, and millet that sparrows love, although they also seem to delight in everything else, and will throw things they don't like onto the ground to get to the 'good stuff'.

Right now I have a mix that is sunflower seeds and (I think) safflower hearts in a hopper feeder, same in a tube feeder, a pair of finch socks, and a woodpecker suet block in a cage feeder. I am getting a pair of cardinals, a few rare red-headed finches, a couple chickadees, a pair of starlings that like the suet, a single mourning dove that I don't mind, and a flock of sparrows that come and go - they seem to like this mix less than the one that had millet it in, which they emptied out in a day. But, they still come and go.

Any advice on what a better seed / seed blend / setup might be?

Pure black sunflower seed, in shell if you don't mind the mess, or shelled is a good start and junk birds aren't as fond of it. It's full of fats that birds need in winter. In spring you can add little buggy suet bits for protein, but they can gum up your feeder a bit.
I've heard that hanging monofilament in front of the feeder deters house sparrows but the other birds don't pay it any mind.