Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh wow, I didn't even know this thread existed. I guess I recognize a lot of the regulars in here from the bird photography thread over in Dorkroom.

I did my first "go find specific birds" chase today, going after a snowy owl in at the marina in Edmonds, WA (didn't find it) and a american white pelican in Lake Sammamish right next to the State Park boat jetty (found it!). The pelican is quite rare up here west of the Cascades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's not good news, there was chatter on the list about possible fishing line hanging from the owl's mouth.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I need a bit of advice here, though it might be just as appropriate for the birding photography thread.

I'm trying to find a (legal and ethical) way of getting close enough to Tufted Puffins (on land) to get good photos of them. So far my best idea is volunteering to help do some of the grunt work inherent in research in exchange for getting close to them during nesting season. There is a professor who works out of the University of Puget Sound who is one of the few people allowed to go to Protection Island and Tatoosh Island, two of the very few places near Seattle where the puffins nest.

Alternative ideas? My next best idea is flying up to Sitka, AK, and hiring a local with a boat, but that seems like something that would need substantially more research to be anything more than a total crapshoot.

Does anyone else have any experience with something like this?

Obviously I could go on a peliagic tour and hope for the best but that isn't really what I'm going for here as I'd like to get non-flying, non-swimming pictures.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

Could use some help id'ing this guy:

kingbird sp1 by Ruth O Birds, on Flickr

We think he's a tropical kingbird, but he's definitely a vagrant if he is. When flycatching off his post, he didn't have the black tail or dark back like a western kingbird, and his tail was quite long. He was seen near one of the ranches on the way to the lighthouse at Point Reyes near San Francisco.

Sure looks like one. Doesn't have the grey band across its breast of a Western or Cassin's and the grey chin is too pale to be a Cassin's.

Looks like it's rare but not unheard-of, my Sibley guide lists it as a rare visitor all the way up the Pacific coast to Vancouver Island

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's really not a popular position--and for good reason, killing animals should never be approached lightly--but feral cats need to be put down, not sterilized and released.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
On a "holy poo poo this is amazing" note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrAGHGJIpE

http://fox6now.com/2014/12/02/caught-on-camera-great-horned-owl-spotted-swimming-in-lake-michigan/ posted:

CHICAGO — A Chicago-area photographer and birder captured a most unusual sighting — an owl swimming (yes, swimming) in Lake Michigan.

Steve Spitzer was at Loyola Park Beach in Chicago’s Rogers Park neighborhood when he saw something in the lake. He met another birder who said it was an owl. The Great Horned Owl was apparently forced down into Lake Michigan by two Peregrine Falcons.

Spitzer captured video and photos of the owl, but he didn’t take any of the falcon attack. He and others at the beach were busy trying to scare the falcons away. Spitzer said bird rescue was called to the scene, but the owl flew away.

Yes, the owl lived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtR_i121M8

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Please help with an ID birding thread, I cannot find this in my Sibley guide but it's probably because I don't know where to look, and neither Merlin Bird ID nor Backyard Bird Finder helped.

I took a picture of it this morning around 9:30am at Three Forks Natural Area in Snoqualmie, WA. It looked like around the size of a finch or large sparrow. This was the only shot I got of it before it flew off.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 7, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The colors just don't seem right for either of those--it has the eyes of the Rusty blackbird but sort of the coloration of a very light Brewer's. I suppose Lek could be correct and it's a hybrid?

That was the only shot I got off before it took off, and it was 40-50 ft away.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

It's more the eye stripe that makes me think rusty, female brewers can sometimes have a pale eye.

Ok, probably just an extra-light female brewer's blackbird then.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

froward posted:

do any of you ever harness your birds and go jogging/biking while the bird flies along, or rides on your shoulder?
Wrong thread, ask in bird crazies.

I take one of my parrots out to local parks, though, during the summer. Her wings are clipped.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mapparu posted:

hi, i have two love birds. they don't really have a name but they keep great company. i wish i could bond more with these little cute birds... any advice, doesn't have to be hands-on holding. just you know hanging out with these cute birds.
Again, wrong thread.

Please go to Bird Crazies as that is where parrot owners post.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

No worries- we are the weirdos here!

(not just here)
Speak for yourself, I'm a birding wierdo AND a bird crazy wierdo.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

should i go on a birding walk with the local audobon society or ? i should look into that. any birders here in western PA?
Yes, you should do that. Going on a birding walk with the Seattle Audubon Society was a ton of fun for me even though I usually go out and do my birding photos alone.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I ran across what I think is a female merlin here in Seattle in the Magnolia neighborhood, near Discovery Park. I'm sure about the merlin part, but it's really hard to tell if it is a female or male:

Didn't post it in the photography thread because it's a heavily cropped image (she was in a 25+ meter tree). Was a little surprised to see her instead of one of the local (to that neighborhood) red-tailed hawks, but I guess they do winter down here.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The weather in the NW is all gray, if I were to fly somewhere from Seattle for the weekend (sometime in the next month or two) that is warm and sunny specifically to go birding (particularly photography) where should I go?

There are cheap flights to San Diego, Phoenix, LA... anywhere else I should look at? I can camp or find a couch surfing host or whatever, I just want sunshine and some warmth and places I can easily get to lots of pretty birds. I was looking at Albuquerque but there are no direct flights there from Seattle and it's kinda silly to have a layover from SEA to ABQ and back.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

San Diego would be great- anywhere along the coast (e.g. Monterey, SF/Oakland) too, although rain/clouds gets more likely the farther north you go. Hard to beat the zoo there if you are interested in animal photos.

Can you get to Tuscon? Much better than Phoenix. Sonoran Desert museum is awesome for pics of birds in and out of the cages.
Layovers. :(

Looks like it'll probably be San Diego, I do have a photographer friend down there even if she doesn't have a place for me to crash at.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

San Diego would be my choice as well. Large numbers of wintering species in SD itself and you're a couple hours from the Salton Sea and a whole different assortment of birds there. They also get (and more importantly people actually find) a large number of rarities in SoCal. The only downside might be that there's just too much to cover for a weekend, even a three day one.
"Too much" is only a curse if you want it to be one. :)

Sounds good. I think I'll do this, I haven't had good lighting for bird photography here in Seattle for a few weeks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Mom is roosting, and one of the eggs has had some pips. Expect great horned owl chicks to start hatching very soon:

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/46/Great_Horned_Owls/

HD video feed with audio of GHO nest. :)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Just saw a very small hawk on a tree in my front yard in Southern Illinois. I would venture to guess it was no bigger than a bluejay. Guessing it must have been a Kestrel, but the GIS images for kestrels seem to have them being a lot redder and more contrasty than what I saw, this guy was brown and white. Seasonal coloration? sex? not a kestrel?

Probably a sharp-shinned hawk or a merlin.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 3, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If portability isn't as much of a concern you might look into spotting scopes as well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Maybe a White-throated Swift?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How big are they?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

About 5-6 inches? Kind of guessing, they REALLY don't ever just land that I've ever seen, they fly around and then somehow manage to fly into those entry holes without splatting into the side of the house.

I don't think cliff swallows make nests like that, do they? Huh. I used Merlin earlier and couldn't come up with anything either.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Could a Vaux's Swift be using a cliff swallow nest?

Because the color description and wing drawing kinda matches a Vaux's Swift, but the nest is nothing like they use, and they'd be quite the vagrant in northern NM...

Yeah, this probably isn't going to be solved unless you can get pictures of the birds.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'll be in McAllen, TX in mid September for a few days to visit Santa Ana NWR and some of the other surrounding parks and wildlife refuges along the Rio Grande, so look for my pictures in the bird photography thread for what to look forward to. :)

It'll also be peak butterfly season!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Can anybody help me with an ID assist on this? Taken in McAllen, TX on September 19th. I'm not used to the birds down there and while I know it's a somewhat common one I just can't figure out what it is.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I think it might be a Great Kiskadee?

aha, that sounds right! Thanks

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

A lot of people are a few % neanderthal, with maybe some Denisovan thrown in there. I'm not totally up on the human evolution lit but there was definitely a lot of genetic exchange between modern humans and the other related lineages. Some evidence that Male Neanderthal x Female Human didn't work as well though. Maybe not quite the same as the bird example...
Very offtopic for this thread, but the PBS series "First Peoples" does a fantastic job of presenting all the new science about Homo Erectus and "archaic human" interbreeding. (not-a-spoiler: there was a lot of it going on for much longer than anyone even theorized)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you have a window nearby the feeders, a fun way to mess with the squirrels is sneak up to the open window and hiss like a cat at them. You can't do it too often or they'll figure out that there isn't really a cat, but otherwise it's an effective (and fun!) way to get the pesky rats to gently caress off for a while. My little brother discovered this technique by accident, and boy let me tell ya, growing up in rural Minnesota this sort of thing was the absolute height of entertainment.

On the upside for those of us living in areas with urban raptors, putting the feeder in the middle of a big open grassy area can really help the hawks get easy squirrel pickings. ;)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Can't you just mix in a bunch of cayenne powder or red chili flakes?

Birds aren't bothered by capsaicin, squirrels and deer most certainly are.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Aquila posted:

That's me. These binoculars are amazing. I bought them as a gift to myself after using a decent pair of east german binoculars for 15 years. You don't have to spend nearly that much either, https://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-Ultra-Compact-Binoculars-Black/dp/B00004THDC will get you 99% of the benefits, cost a third as much, and weight half as much (I kinda wish I got these instead). Imaged stabilized binoculars are the best thing you can get for bird watching, any difference in optics quality from spending more is completely overwhelmed by the human inability to hold something steady. IS binoculars also work handheld for astronomy.

Those are listed as out of stock, but these appear to be the new model:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-Image-Stabilization-Binoculars/dp/B00XOGP13S/

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I live in one of the residential neighborhoods of Seattle and I regularly see hawks and eagles out my window because the crows are mobbing them (and that gets my parrot all excited too)

Crow friends best friends

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Is this a good thread for some bird identification? I have some hummingbirds I can't get a grip on, despite having a Sibley's. If so, I'd like to post some pictures. 25 miles west of Denver, altitude about 8900 feet.

Yes

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Probably just soulless bird-haters

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Spent yesterday skulking around the Hood Canal area of Puget Sound and came away surprised at how lousy the whole place is with Bald Eagles. If you can't see them you can hear them. That said I didn't get a lot of usable photos because my camera/lens was throwing focus like a drunken MLB pitcher if I aimed at anything avian that didn't have pure sky behind it.

Some kind of Swallow? It had a split tail.

Some kind of sparrow singing happy pudgy songs near me while I was waiting for eagles.

No idea what this was and it flew away before I could get closer.
Barn swallow, Song Sparrow, Northern Flicker

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Get a lightweight tripod, not a monopod, that way once it's set her coordination doesn't even matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I got my partner some Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x42 for her birthday this year and they are excellent, and in your budget. Highly recommended.