Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My wife and I have gone a bit bird-crazy over the last couple of years or so. We both started out with a purely photographic interest, but now I'd probably describe each of us as 50% birder and 50% photographer. Our identification skills have vastly improved, although we have a lot to work on with shorebirds and songbirds.

One thing we noticed after meeting more and more birders is that there seems to be a real dislike between birders and photographers. We've seen some pretty atrocious behaviour from both groups of people in regards to the treatment of birds, but we get some crazy attitude directed at us from the birders when we're out in a popular birding spot with our photography gear, and I haven't really heard of the reverse happening. Is it just in our head or is there a strong anti-photographer sentiment among the "pure" birders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Then there's baiting. Photographers loooooove baiting Great Gray Owls. If you google an image of a great gray and see all of those awesome flight shots of the owl coming straight at the camera, I can virtually guarantee they were baited. It's a lovely thing to do because it acclimates the owls to people and they can and have attacked humans. They will also follow humans into roadways where they can get hit by cars. It is also possible to spread disease from domestically raised mice to the owls. Here's some video of fucknecks baiting:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I will say that InternetJunky has shot tons of amazing Great Gray Owl shots and I don't believe he baits. He can explain for certain, but I think he just sets up in a blind and watches the owls hunt.

I don't bait, but lots of people think I do thanks to the swarms of others that do bait. :(

I posted this picture online and got a stream of poo poo from people accusing me of baiting

The truth is my wife and I spent hundreds of hours sitting in ditches up to our shoulders in snow in -30 temps last winter, all to watch and photograph great grays. I know photographers can be real assholes, but the truth is photography is probably the best way birders are going to get more people to care. I got into birding through photography and can't be the only one.

Now I'm enough of a fanatic that I drive thousands of kilometres all over the place to find new birds (this weekend it's 700km to find what is essentially a darker sea gull).

[edit] On the flip side

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 5, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Me and a buddy tried tracking down some grays in Oregon last winter and didn't even see them, let alone get any photos. Totally cross country skied in and then sat in the snow for two days for nothing. Such a bummer. Gonna try again this winter but in a place where the owls are known to be habitually seen.
If you ever make it up to Alberta, Canada during the winter I'd be happy to introduce you to "my" owls.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Had an amazing weekend birding, finding 12 lifers including this super rare (for Alberta) Parasitic Jaeger.

On the way down to try and find the Jaeger we came across a Peregrine Falcon with a freshly-killed pigeon. We parked our car very far back, but he was not happy to be interrupted and flew a circle around us coming a bit too close to the highway for my comfort, so we got the hell out of there. His fly-by did net us a nice picture though:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I hate to say it, but is that photo supposed to be of the Jaeger? Looks like a 100% match for a juvenile Ring-Billed Gull to me. I spent a morning in a thunderstorm looking for Jaegers last week. I finally gave up when the thunder stopped sounding like distant rumbling and instead sounded like the crack of a gunshot. Probably not a good time to be carrying a big tripod.
I'm fairly sure it's a juvenile Parasitic Jaeger. Here's a poorer shot of the top of the bird showing the much darker colouring:

The bird was about 1.5 times the size of any of the other gulls in the area.

My ID is based on other people's posts about the same bird, so I hope they got it right. I'm hardly an expert on the subject!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

El Perkele posted:

It's a gull, in Europe I would say Herring sp. Jaegers show large white patches on the underside of primaries and pale shafts on the uppersides; also the upperside coloration is different.

Here's Arctic, two 1cy (pale and dark morph) http://tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=Dick1314858877&lang=eng
That's disappointing. Based on the size I was sure I had the right bird!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The warblers are apparently migrating through my area right now. Currently the only one I have ever seen is the yellow warbler so I have a long list of ones I'd like to see. What's the best way to observe them? Should I park my butt in front of a tree and hope for the best? I find small birds like these almost impossible to notice if I'm moving around.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I really need a comprehensive bird guide that shows pictures for all the different plumages a bird can have, my field guides are useless with all the winter & juvenile plumage I'm seeing now.

I would love confirmation on some IDs:

American Golden-Plover (junvenile)?

Pectoral Sandpiper (the bill colour doesn't seem to match)?

Semi-Palmated Plover (juvenile)?

Mystery Gull that stood out as very black amongst a group of much lighter Bonaparte's Gulls

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Those pics are great! I have The Shorebird Guide, which was linked earlier I think and is really pretty excellent. Shorebirds of North America, Europe, and Asia is also very good, but might be a bit too broad since it covers just about the entire world. For the gulls, Gulls of the Americas is the best I've found with tons of examples of plumage variations and comparisons between the species, hybrids, the different age groups and such. Gulls and shorebirds are really challenging!
Thanks for the links. I will admit I just bought both (and a warbler guide and sparrow guide).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Which sparrow guide did you order, InternetJunky? Was it this one? A friend of mine has it and it seems pretty solid. I should probably get that one as well.
That's the one. It was exactly what I was looking for. Each type of sparrow is presented with lots of photos, which is my main complaint about the normal field guides.

So the Shorebird Guide still doesn't really clear up if I got a shot of a black-bellied plover or an american golden-plover. I've had 4 veteran birdwatchers respond to my inquiry in a local mailing list -- 2 saying it's a black-bellied and another 2 saying golden. The biggest defining characteristic seems to be the 4 primary feathers extending beyond the tertials on the golden, and none of my shots clearly show that area. Too bad too since the golden plover is much rarer than the black-bellied around here so I'd love to know conclusively one way or the other.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

The state of birds of prey in the north of England is all rather depressing
http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/2013/09/17/bowland-raptors-the-final-solution/
This was a really sad read. :(

It's not like the situation is much better in North America though. I found a long-eared owl that had been shot this spring, one of the red-tail hawks I helped band had missing tail feathers from a shot gun blast, and I know of several people who brag about shooting hawks/owls.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This one is driving me insane because I saw it's identical twin with a group of Black Bellied Plovers on Friday, but I forgot my field guide in the car and didn't bring my camera because getting to where I was going required walking through submerged logs in the dark with a flashlight and dunking $1500 worth of camera gear in salt water was not something I wanted to risk. Of course I made notes of every little detail other than the primary projection. I still think your bird is a Golden.
I think I've settled on black-bellied for this one. I received this reply from a birding mailing list I posted on, and it sounds like they know what they are talking about :

quote:

is a black-bellied plover P squatarola. The bill size & structure alone rule out pacific or any other golden plover. Also the coloration in general would be exceptionally light gray for any golden-plover species, plus the dark spots on head are not "sufficiently" dark..

Matti Koivula, PhD, Docent, Senior lecturer
School of Forest Sciences

On the topic of bird IDs however, I'm still struggling with sparrow-sized birds. I picked up "Sparrows of the United States and Canada" hoping it would help with ID, but it's really quite useless to be honest. Short of flipping through 300 pages hoping to see a picture of something similar there's no easy way to get an ID with it.

Here's a couple from yesterday I would love some help with:

Female Chestnut-collard Longspur seems to match the closest but I'm a bit out of it's range according to the guidebook.

No clue for this one

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta and these were taken about 1 hour to the south-east.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Vesper sparrow?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Damnit. You have me rethinking my ID again.

I agree on Sparrows. At least shorebirds and gulls tend to be walking around in the open and don't constantly fly.

First one I'd lean towards Vesper Sparrow.
The consensus from other sources is Vesper for both pictures as well, so good job guys. Apparently I have a long way to go with IDs.

On that subject, why do the guides have to be so useless in the way they present their information? That sparrow guide has lots of nice pictures, but flipping through 300 pages hoping to find a match isn't a great help.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Is there any chance my wife and I saw a yellow-billed magpie in Edmonton, Alberta?

We were driving yesterday and at a stop light we were both watching a magpie picking through the leaves. Initially we both thought he had a french fry or something in his mouth, but as we got closer and passed him in the car it became clear it was his beak colour and not a fry. We both blurted out "yellow-billed magpie!" at the same time. We rushed home to grab the camera but couldn't find him again. :(

I checked eBird and they seem pretty constrained to California.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Speaking of Christmas birds, is this a snow bunting? (2 hours north of Edmonton, Alberta)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Knockknees posted:

Is a Christmas Bird Count something a beginner can be involved in, or would someone who didn't know what they were looking at just get in the way. I'm not totally clear on how CBCs actually even work.
The way it was organized here was that you could choose to go out in your own group, or join a group that was specifically aimed at newbies and you'd all go out to a park together. I assume it's similar elsewhere. My wife and I were complete novices and chose the latter option and had a lot of fun. If you're a newbie birder I think the CBC is THE event you want to involve yourself in.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I don't think I ever posted a link to my Gannet and Puffin shots from my summer trip to Newfoundland. If you're a birder this needs to be a bucket list trip, and if you're not a birder you'll leave as one.

Here's a link to a gallery of 50 shots from the trip (warning, some graphic images showing gull-on-Puffin violence): http://colquhoun.smugmug.com/Newfoundland

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

hey santa baby posted:

This guy got my hopes up that he may not be a red-tailed hawk since I can't make out a red tail, or the typical chest band. Looking at the books though, he's big, but he lacks the "mask" of a peregrine. Also, the solid patch on his chest does say red-tail to me. Is this just a juvenile red-tail after all?

The easiest marking to distinguish between a Red Tail and Swainson's when the bird is perched like that is to look at where the wing tips reach. If the wing tips touch the end of the tail it's a Swainson's. (ie your bird is a red tail)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm doing the Edmonton, Alberta CBC on Sunday. I just hope the weather improves a bit -- there's all sorts of reports of birds dying from the cold right now (including a poor barn owl that made its way up here :( ). I went out on Saturday to find some owls and it was below -40 not counting wind chill (which probably brought it to -60).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Speaking of bird crimes, I was about to head a few hours south tomorrow to get a look at a short-eared owl that was hanging around in the same area for a few weeks now but someone posted a picture of a rough-legged hawk killing the owl this morning. :(

Does anyone know how common this type of behaviour is in roughies? There is a huge number of them in Alberta right now (compared to last year when I saw none) and I wonder if that's why I'm not seeing any Great Grays so far.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

2013 was the first year I was serious about birding and ebird reporting, and I ended up at 152 species. I imagine I'd be somewhere around 250 species if I actually could tell the difference between all the gulls, shorebirds, and tiny birds.

The modest goal for 2014 is 200 species within Alberta. It sucks having to wait months before anything shows up though.

Here's the last new species reported for me for 2013:
Short-eared Owl

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Assuming budget wasn't a big issue, if you had to get a birding scope that would also working well when digiscoping, what would you pick?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Zeiss Photoscope is possibly the answer if you actually meant budget wasn't a big issue.

Honestly, I don't really get the whole digiscoping thing. It can certainly come in handy in a pinch for documenting rarities, but in general I think they turn out poor photos of any bird you need a scope for. You can certainly sit in your backyard and get ok photos of birds at your feeders with one, but you could do that even better with a DSLR and a cheap lens. Superzooms seem like they might be a better solution for a cheapish way to document distnat rarities, etc. and they are way less awkward than holding a P&S/Phone up to your camera. I'm certainly not an expert, however, so feel free to show me I'm wrong.
I've seen some pretty impressive shots from digiscoping. Obviously atmosphere plays a big role at those ranges but I think with really good glass and a good dslr on the end you can get some good results. I'm interested in getting more into video as well, for which the quality isn't as critical.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

El Perkele posted:

If the above-mentioned Zeiss seems too steep, then Swarovski ATX 30-70/90x is the next tier. Behind that are the new Zeiss Diascopes and Kowas - which are great scopes, although even their prices have more than enough air. Nowhere near Swaro, though!

edit: ATX has all kinds of accessory meant for digiscoping with DSLR setups and the scope itself is phenomenal.
Yeah, the Zeiss really isn't what I'm looking for. I have camera equipment that puts the built-in camera on that scope to shame. I'm definitely looking for something I can integrate with my existing camera bodies.

I've been researching the Swarovski ATX a lot these past couple of days and that will probably be my choice. I spend so much time observing owls, and much of that time is when they are beyond the reach of my camera gear. Being able to record video/photographs of their behaviour even when they are further away is going to be a huge value to me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other regarding bird feeding?
The only thing I've heard is that if you're going to offer a feeder during the winter in Canada you pretty much have to commit to keeping it full for them for the entire winter since there just isn't enough food naturally to support them otherwise. I'm not sure I buy that completely, but on days like today when it's below -40 with wind chill my feeders are completely full of birds the entire day. I'm sure a lot of them would simply die if I didn't keep the feeders full.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Knockknees posted:

What is the best book for helping me differentiate raptors in the Midwest (eg. OH, IN, IL, WI). I'm still a beginner, but I love love love detail, especially tips like where its wings come in relation to its tail when perching, behavior, wing flapping, silhouettes, and all that jazz.

I already have Sibley's Guide to NA but I'd love a raptor or hawk specific book.
I would recommend A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors. Lots of pictures in the book, and there's a section at the end that shows pictures of common raptor situations (i.e. perched juvenile raptors) and what to look for to help with ID.

I spent a lot of time this past summer driving around banding hawks with one of the book's authors (William Clark) and can safely say the guy is currently forgetting more about raptors every day than I will probably learn in a lifetime.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I went birding at a power station cooling pond yesterday. It's a great location because the waters don't freeze so thousands of waterfowl overwinter there. I even saw a bird that triggered a rare bird alert (Ring-necked Duck) which was a first for me.

Just curious about these guys though:

They were quite far out so this is a heavy crop. Is it an American Wigeon?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Looks like a Gadwall to me. I always think they're female Wigeon at first because the head shape is so similar.

Congrats on the RBA. That's basically my favorite thing about birding.
Comparing with other Gadwall shots online I can clearly see that's what I shot as well. Thanks! I wish my guide had better reference pictures for ducks. The actual male Gadwall looks very different than the picture in my guide.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Which guide are you using?

In other news, the birdfeeder I put up two weeks ago has yet to attract a single bird. Do the little passerines that hang around all winter (I'm in the cold part of "cold-temperate" - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) mostly just hunker down in small areas, and not explore much during the winter?
I'm using Lone Pine Field Guide: Birds of Alberta. I like it quite a bit, but there are some weak areas.

When I first put up my feeders it took forever for something to come. It's been too warm here lately which keeps the birds away too.

On an unrelated note, I just got back from a day trip owling in a new area. It was too warm for owls although I did see a couple of great grays for a few minutes. The real treat was dealing with the local rear end in a top hat who really didn't like me driving around his farm. He pulled up beside me while I was pulled over looking through my binoculars and just started right in with "what the hell are you doing here" and "I've already reported your license to the police". I was on public roads and never once stepped foot over a fence, so this behaviour certainly surprised me. After a brief conversation trying to explain that I was birding I drove off and went down what turned out to be a dead end road, and he followed me down there and blocked my exit. He laid into me again saying this time I was on his land (it was still a public range road) and it took me a while to get him to calm down. Not a great situations and not something I care to repeat.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My rule of thumb is always try to calm people down by trying to be the coolest person ever. I'm basically doing the least invasive thing ever so I just try to act like it.
Yeah, I certainly didn't try to escalate anything and eventually we got to talking about owls and eagles and I think he realised I really was just looking for birds and not some robber from the city. I shouldn't have to deal with that though if I'm not doing anything illegal, and I can't tell you how intimidating it is to be blocked from leaving an area by a huge truck while you are in the absolute middle of nowhere with no one else in sight.

All my other experiences with grumpy farmer types has always turned completely positive by the end. I spend a lot of time in farm ditches photographing owls, and lots of farmers will come out very hostile at first and once they see what I'm doing they immediately change their demeanour and usually even offer me access to their property if I want.

I'm tempted to report his farm as a birding hotspot for great gray owls on ebird. :)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Any chance an ID is possible from this picture?

Taken in Jasper, Alberta

I suspect Scaup but I don't know if it's possible to tell Lesser from Greater.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What a horrible birding winter. Almost no owls and not much else either. Now that the birds are migrating back it's awesome to get out there and see some variety again!

On that subject, I found a mixed group of ducks yesterday in a flooded farmer's field. Green-wing Teals, Northern Pintails (lifer), Mallards, Northern Shovellers, possible Cinnamon Teal, and this mystery on the right:

That's a Northern Pintail beside it for reference. Any ideas what it is?

This is in Alberta, Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Couple of ID requests. These are all from central Alberta, Canada:

I believe this to be a Hudsonian Godwit, since he was standing beside a Marbled Godwit and the two looked completely different, and nothing else seems to match around here.

Is there a way to tell a juvi California Gull from a juvi Herring Gull? I thought the black beak was the deciding feature but then I found a picture of a black-beaked juvi California Gull in my Gull guide (Peterson's). I hate juvi bird IDs.