Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And we have title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm really liking where this is going. Also a lot of those probable future cast members look like they have interesting gimmicks for their immortality.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Welp. That was quick. Dream achieved! Now let's go back and see what Negi and the rest did to save Nagi!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Isn't this story moving a bit fast?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

HellCopter posted:

Isn't this story moving a bit fast?

Nah. All we're doing so far is setting up the introductory characters and finding out what happened in a Post-Negi world. I'm assuming our story will truly begin after that with getting the band back together or something.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This was a pretty great chapter for its length, the idea of an awesome immortal family was one of my favorite parts of Baccano! and I'm glad to see that indeed it will be a theme here.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Touta is so mean to Eva. Ever since he found out she's 700 years old, it's been granny this and granny that while cutting off her attempts to spend time with him (i.e., let's learn this new technique hey? no? :()

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So the manga is going to be about meeting all those weird characters for a while, and presumably the main plot will gradually start during this period. This looks very promising.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
So that bit at the beginning where Eva was going on about the loneliness of immortality was just melodramatic bullshit?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Touta is so mean to Eva. Ever since he found out she's 700 years old, it's been granny this and granny that while cutting off her attempts to spend time with him (i.e., let's learn this new technique hey? no? :()

Yeah, so far I'm not really liking Touta as the protagonist too much. He's kind of, well, annoying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't help but think it would have been a lot cooler if the story really had been about Touta building up such an organization rather than having it all dumped into his lap already.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Sonata Mused posted:

Yeah, so far I'm not really liking Touta as the protagonist too much. He's kind of, well, annoying.

Seconding this. He's an obnoxious brat with shounen protagonist optimism cranked up to eleven. I really hope he either mellows out or gets supplanted by the supporting cast.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I think Touta will definitely grow up (though I doubt the optimism is going anywhere), but it might take a few arcs. He IS just a kid for now, and Akamatsu has done plenty to prove himself very proficient with character development. Actually, I'd say that character development was one of Negima!'s stronger points. Even with such a large cast, a good portion were fleshed out, and even more probably would have been if the manga hadn't ended in such an unfortunate way.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Okay, been re-reading Negima and it's become apparent that either Eva has grown weak, or Akamatsu forgot how powerful Eva is actually supposed to be.

Chapter 291, Super Saiyan 2 Negi finally manages to overcome illusion Eva, who is supposed to be several times weaker than the real deal. She can basically react faster than lightning. How in the gently caress is anyone even doing anything to her at this point?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

Okay, been re-reading Negima and it's become apparent that either Eva has grown weak, or Akamatsu forgot how powerful Eva is actually supposed to be.

Chapter 291, Super Saiyan 2 Negi finally manages to overcome illusion Eva, who is supposed to be several times weaker than the real deal. She can basically react faster than lightning. How in the gently caress is anyone even doing anything to her at this point?

It's explicitly stated by the guy who gave Kuromaru his mission that she's weaker than she once was.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FrantzX posted:

So that bit at the beginning where Eva was going on about the loneliness of immortality was just melodramatic bullshit?

I was under the impression she was speaking of class 2/3 A, specifically.

And I really want to see what's up with Save Point girl.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm thinking Eva might just plain not be trying that hard anymore. She's definitely mellowed out a good bit.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I was under the impression she was speaking of class 2/3 A, specifically.

Almost certainly, I'd say. It's not the friends you make, but the friends you don't get to keep.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

It's explicitly stated by the guy who gave Kuromaru his mission that she's weaker than she once was.

I hope we get a story reason why that is, because goddamn she should just be killing everybody that even tries anything.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
The only serious fight we've seen Eva in is the one in the first chapter, where she had her magic sealed beforehand by the bracelet and then let team scrub get the first hit in, since she didn't expect them to have ridiculously expensive first class magic binding apps. The only reason she lost was because she didn't take the fight any more seriously than usual when dealing with the scrub squad. It's less that Eva is weak and more that the bounty hunter had a really good plan for taking her down by using the kids to seal her before she even realized she was in danger. Hubris has always been one of Eva's biggest weaknesses. It's why she lost to Negi in the beginning of Negima before he had gotten even the most basic of his powerups.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Okasvi posted:

The only serious fight we've seen Eva in is the one in the first chapter, where she had her magic sealed beforehand by the bracelet and then let team scrub get the first hit in, since she didn't expect them to have ridiculously expensive first class magic binding apps. The only reason she lost was because she didn't take the fight any more seriously than usual when dealing with the scrub squad. It's less that Eva is weak and more that the bounty hunter had a really good plan for taking her down by using the kids to seal her before she even realized she was in danger. Hubris has always been one of Eva's biggest weaknesses. It's why she lost to Negi in the beginning of Negima before he had gotten even the most basic of his powerups.

To Nagi too, he didn't bother with any great battle, just a pit trap filled with negi.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

veekie posted:

To Nagi too, he didn't bother with any great battle, just a pit trap filled with negi.

I see what you did there

(but garlic is ninniku not negi).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ChronoReverse posted:

I see what you did there

(but garlic is ninniku not negi).

He did use negi

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

What the, so he did have a sprig in addition to the garlic. Eva soup?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ChronoReverse posted:

What the, so he did have a sprig in addition to the garlic. Eva soup?

I suppose nobody's actually made shinso soup before.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://www.mangapanda.com/uq-holder/7

Hmm, not sure if there's gonna be a timeskip or not. I think it will probably go the "get out fast and impress people" route instead of having a timeskip, because we haven't seen Touta pushed to his limit yet. Also, if there are too many timeskips Touta's friends from back home will get old and die... :(

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Most likely the 8 year thing allows for a few mistakes like getting eaten by a monster and needing that long to be pooped out. If you don't screw up you could be out really fast.

Also is it just me or does anyone get the feeling this dungeon used to be the Mahora library underground?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm getting the feeling the future might not be the Utopia Negi was hoping for.

Also, this manga seems to be good at keeping people guessing where it's going. Akamatsu might be having fun teasing all the Negima fans.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well it looks like our intrepid duo has now met Mop Nagi. Also I bet he's not actually the leader but is just loving with them. Odds that it's actually Negi but we won't find out until 100 chapters from now?

Also it amuses me that the question of Kuroumaru's gender is now completely forgotten. I have to wonder whether we will ever know.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It'd probably show up 150 chapters in, as a throwaway line.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bremen posted:

Also, this manga seems to be good at keeping people guessing where it's going.
This is easily my favorite thing about it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/8/2105/1

I'm not sure if it's this week's chapter or last week's chapter.

Yeah, let's get more cool fights! :)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So Touta's first response to a giant hideous monster is to stick his finger in its mouth while saying "are they real?". That cracked me up.

Also throwing the leader into a death pit for drinking her sake definitely sounds more like the old Evangeline.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Bremen posted:

So Touta's first response to a giant hideous monster is to stick his finger in its mouth while saying "are they real?". That cracked me up.

Also throwing the leader into a death pit for drinking her sake definitely sounds more like the old Evangeline.

I think she would have frozen him in a block of ice for twenty years or so personally.

Not really feeling it yet. I think the series has yet to truly rev up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, that's the same fire spell Setsuna used.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Definitely hoping that a theme of this series is the exploration of immortality. Seems like it would be an interesting thing. Reading through the last few chapters has me really nostalgic for some Negima. Think it's definitely time to reread that.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I found the bit where s/he used a special attack to estimate the size of the dungeon by the time it takes for it to hit and the sound to travel back hilarious as hell.

A Hacked Soul
Feb 22, 2009
This is looking to be a interesting series thus far.
I am looking forward to more.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ch 9: http://www.mangareader.net/uq-holder/9

Featuring some familiar looking structures. Unfortunately it looks like its taking a break next week for research.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Well, at least we got two chapters this week even if there isn't one for next week.

I wonder why they're calling Al an evil mage... I guess someone might have moved in after him? Maybe Eva? Or maybe Eva was just spreading lies about him, it would be totally in character. Al is probably still around even now, because I believe he said he's older than Eva. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a few months since I read through Negima, so my memory is a little faded on some parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Blhue posted:

taking a break next week for research.

It's like he never left.

• Locked thread