Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

But can Negima really handle a person who can send people to the moon?

It is my suggestion that you press forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

But can Negima really handle a person who can send people to the moon?

:mmmhmm:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
:tidus laugh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Though you may know this, there are two anime series - Negima! and Negima?!. The first kinda ended early (since it started so early) and has a totally-out-of-left-field ending that's actually surprisingly good and poignant, though it doesn't fit the feel of the series (since it's not really a fighting anime at all by that point). The other anime is just a 100% swerve from the source material into crazytown.

The first series had a good ending, but then it had a last episode which totally ruined it. Everything was sunshine and lollipops. I guess it fits as an adaptation of the early, naked-14-year-old-girl-centric manga, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Forget everyone else, this needs to turn into the adventures of Rakan and Dana.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Up to chapter 33 in Mahou Sensei Negima! Kind of remembering why I dropped it in the first place after the first couple of chapters. I was never a fan of Love Hina and Negima has the same feel going on with it. That being said things did pick up after a few chapters

• I love how the school has an entire island devoted to a library and apparently there is a "lost civilization" style city underneath it that the principal was completely aware of at the end of the baka squad's adventure. Hoping for a repeat trip in later chapters.
  • It figures that the first really interesting story bit is the one featuring Evangeline. It's kind of weird seeing her as just a kid and not the more mature (yet playful) individual she is in UQ. It'll be interesting seeing her character grow through the series.
  • Don't know why it never occurred to me that Karakuri is a type of mechanical doll and also Chachamaru's name.
  • Currently enjoying Setsuna's arc if only for the battles between eastern and western mages.
  • I could do without the CCG aspect of Negima'sbut it's a central gimmick so I'll just stomach it.
  • Kind of going hand in hand with my general disinterest of harem series; but I could do without the panty shots and constant wardrobe failure of a bunch of 15 year old girls.

There is actually very little I know about Negima so I have no idea what to expect. I'm assuming like Love Hina some kind of overarching plot will kick in and the world will need to be saved, it's just a matter of time before that happens.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just caught back up with this. I can't decide who is the better character:

Kitty, an adorable, vulnerable Eva who is in the process of becoming the powerful, confident, and sometimes lazy character we know.

Kirie, a Chisame expy with a power that I really, really like.

Chisame was the best character in Negima besides maybe Rakan, by the way. Fight me :colbert:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just caught back up with this. I can't decide who is the better character:

Kitty, an adorable, vulnerable Eva who is in the process of becoming the powerful, confident, and sometimes lazy character we know.

Kirie, a Chisame expy with a power that I really, really like.

Chisame was the best character in Negima besides maybe Rakan, by the way. Fight me :colbert:

Truth.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

How could you forget Colonel Sanders???

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

GodFish posted:

He's 3rd, obs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GodFish posted:

:colbert:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
After an inexplicable delay (because they did put it up long enough for /a/ to grab it and dump it before taking it down), this last week's chapter is finally out.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=86.00
(Well supposedly, it's not loading in my browser for whatever reason)
(It's already subscriber-locked)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wasn't chapter 86 last week?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, UQ Holder is on break this week, I believe.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Why do I get the feeling Dana is the one that wrote the message?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well I read something last tuesday and it wasn't via CR because they weren't posting it for some reason so gently caress if I know.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kyte posted:

Well I read something last tuesday and it wasn't via CR because they weren't posting it for some reason so gently caress if I know.

Yeah, I couldn't get this chapter until this week either. Apparently, CR posted it last Tuesday but then took it down for some reason? Like you said, /a/ still had it though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I couldn't get this chapter until this week either. Apparently, CR posted it last Tuesday but then took it down for some reason? Like you said, /a/ still had it though.

Thirding this. Was wondering why nothing was loading for Chapter 86.

Here's hoping Touta makes it in time to speak to Kitty again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
New chapter up on crunchyroll. SQUIDS.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shinjobi posted:

New chapter up on crunchyroll. SQUIDS.

Link to the chapter

Looks like Kirie was indeed made to repeatedly study magic using her reset ability, and she's gotten to the point where she can summon familiars. Was that her activation key, or do they not use those anymore with the proliferation of mana phones and magic apps?

Touta gets swallowed by a giant squid thing that cuts off his arm first, but is able to shundo right through it and then regenerate from the damage, complete with pose (which Kirie calls lame) and sound effects.

And we also get a backshot of Rakan when Kirie refers to an immortal master with chi-infused muscles of steel. Also, looks like Touta can repeatedly shundo to walk on water.

Kirie continues to be a great character and I hope we see a lot more of her in the future.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 24, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The neat thing about the set up here is that the time limit gives things tension where there would be none otherwise, yet doesn't feel particularly artificial or forced.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
that Touta/Octopus fight was legit. Can't wait to see Touta fighting using regeneration like that against a serious opponent...

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Argh Rakan teasing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm very well pleased that there's constantly some legitimate fear of failure despite our characters being literally immortal in one way or another.

And Kirie is threatening to become Chisame legitimately; this is basically when Negi and Co got scattered across Mars...

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

And Kirie is threatening to become Chisame legitimately; this is basically when Negi and Co got scattered across Mars...

I'm okay with this, because Chisame was the best.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got a good chuckle out of "...and Sound Effect!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That pose and sound effect technique is such a neat idea, because people kept getting disoriented as they regenerated pretty frequently up until then.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rizzen posted:

This is true

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wrapped up the Kyoto arc in Negima!. Mostly enjoyed it, good characterization for Setsuna and Asakura. Evangeline is always a fun. Good laughs and good fights.
I like this setup with the conflict between eastern and western schools of magic and am looking forward to the return of the petrification western mage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wrapped up the Kyoto arc in Negima!. Mostly enjoyed it, good characterization for Setsuna and Asakura. Evangeline is always a fun. Good laughs and good fights.
I like this setup with the conflict between eastern and western schools of magic and am looking forward to the return of the petrification western mage.

I forgot he first showed up so early in the story. The interarc features an awesome demon as I recall, Mr. Wilhelm.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I forgot he first showed up so early in the story. The interarc features an awesome demon as I recall, Mr. Wilhelm.

Doesn't he go by Graf William? Took an aristocratic title and all that.

Nate RFB posted:

I got a good chuckle out of "...and Sound Effect!"

Serious Frolicking posted:

That pose and sound effect technique is such a neat idea, because people kept getting disoriented as they regenerated pretty frequently up until then.

The whole Jojo pose thing is great, and I didn't even notice it because of the ridiculousness of it all, as well as Kirie calling him out for it. She's great.

rizzen posted:

Yeah, Kirie really is growing on me because she fits that Chisame in the Magical World vibe so well and that was such a great character by Ken. Can't wait to see her interact further with Touta and remind me even more of Chisame.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the odds of Chisame and Kirie ever meeting up?

Kirie as Chiu's Protege please.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else, I love the fact that Ken's using the fact that his MC's a "vampire" as an excuse to throw out as many JoJo things as he can.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=389&chapter_num=88.00

In this week's episode of UQ Holder, [spoilers] Touta dies.[/spoiler]

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
"I bet it's crawling with magical creatures that haven't done anything wrong." :allears:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Apparently, that lightning spirit thing that's guarding the ruins is the same spirit thing that Rakan fought back in Noctis Labyrinthine in order to learn how to counter Negi's Raitou Taisen Magia Erebea lightning form prior to the Ostia tournamwnt finals way back when in Negima. Great callback to a minor Negima detail there if that's the case. It's design is pretty cool looking as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 29, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently, that lightning spirit thing that's guarding the ruins is the same spirit thing that Rakan fought back in Noctis Labyrinthine in order to learn how to counter Negi's Raitou Taisen Magia Erebea lightning form prior to the Ostia tournamwnt finals way back when in Negima. Great callback to a minor Negima detail there if that's the case. It's design is pretty cool looking as well.

That is exactly what I was thinking that thing is. Cool that Tota's fighting it, that's gonna end up useful for him later.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This series is so good.

All those poor magical creatures who haven't done anything wrong :ohdear:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Really glad they're revisiting all the best parts of Negima without being obnoxious about it.

GodFish posted:

This series is so good.

All those poor magical creatures who haven't done anything wrong :ohdear:

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Loved the traveling montage.

• Locked thread