Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really have an issue with monthly over weekly. It's kind of the same deal, you just get more of it at once.

It's about half as much pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

The art might be better, though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really have an issue with monthly over weekly. It's kind of the same deal, you just get more of it at once.

You objectively get less pages per month with a monthly series, but OTOH they tend to be paced better and have less blatant filler so I'd say you end up with like 75% of a weekly manga. Still overall slower though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the other hand, To Love Ru turned monthly.

Is Akamatsu getting a messy divorce?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm more unhappy about the hiatus than the transition. I can't imagine the story will be at a "happy ending" spot for the transition... Though it could be the perfect time to go back to Negima for a while...

It worked out for PCP though. Too bad he isn't announcing a second series or job, like designing Tales characters.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

chumbler posted:

On the other hand, To Love Ru turned monthly.

Is Akamatsu getting a messy divorce?

Those nipples and vaginas take 4 extra weeks of work.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Looking forward to Vinland Saga levels of art improvement

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Skychrono posted:

Three and a half months.

Any reports of health issues or anything?

I have to suppose the next issue will be big, now.

I read somewhere that some of the breaks he took, not noted to be for research (or, as many used to joke, researching his hot cosplaying wife), were for preventative health breaks, since the schedule of weekly chapters with that much background detail and such was wearing him down.

Dunno how truthful that is, because the guy who said it acted all indignant when I was discussing the "Akamatsu's Wife Demands Hiatus" meme posted above that was thrown around a lot during Negima and said that it was a lovely meme because it was actually health problems causing those hiatuses, but it might be something to keep in mind. He didn;t provide any proof, mind, besides some old interviews that hinted at it, but nothing concrete, to the best of my remembering.

Skychrono posted:

I'm more unhappy about the hiatus than the transition. I can't imagine the story will be at a "happy ending" spot for the transition... Though it could be the perfect time to go back to Negima for a while...

Yeah, that's what bums me out the most about the monthly thing, since this is damned poor time to go on hiatus for a couple of months, because of what's going down right now in the latest couple of chapters.

Meh, if I was good with FMA being monthly, I guess I can get used to Holder doing it as well. At least there'll most likely be more stuff to read in the chapter every month, even if there's less material outright than a weekly series would put out the same month... The art is likely to be better, and the chapters almost certainly will be better paced because of it.

Don't want to think what the race would've been like if it had been monthly then... That probably would've felt like a lot shittier pacing too.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Don't want to think what the race would've been like if it had been monthly then... That probably would've felt like a lot shittier pacing too.

Probably would have been better pacing frankly. It would take 2 months though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This sort of puts a crimp on CR's shonen output as that's Seven Deadly Sins, Fairy Tail and UQ Holder and Sins looks like it's going into it's final set of arcs (Kongoro Bancho was pretty much set up in the same first-half second-half structure) and Fairy Tail is almost certainly in it's twilight.

I can't even think of what big Kodansha weekly shonen could replace that lot once FT or Seven Deadly Sins ends.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

If it really is for his health or family, that's good then! In that case I'm worried about the hiatus.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ChronoReverse posted:

Probably would have been better pacing frankly. It would take 2 months though.

Definitely. Would've felt a lot longer as well, and we most likely would've complained a lot more about it.

Skychrono posted:

If it really is for his health or family, that's good then! In that case I'm worried about the hiatus.

Dunno how true the health thing is, but yeah, I'm ok with it going monthly for that reason. The hiatus after the last couple of chapters is what bums me out a lot.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Akamatsu decides Negima is only kind of sort of over

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Akamatsu decides that Negima isn't over at all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Akamatsu decides Negima is only kind of sort of over

Welp, I guess those spoilers that came out with the raws was right... Wanna see the context, but that seems like a decent cliffhanger with which to go on a 4 month break to build up a ton of hype...

EDIT: Chapter is out.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 22, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Akamatsu decides it's time to resume Negima.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

this is so weird

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Maybe when it comes back it'll be called Negima...

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Yue immediately getting her hair back after it being destroyed by Eva

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lurking Haro posted:

Weeklies are full of fillers and Ken progressively takes more breaks as series move.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Yue immediately getting her hair back after it being destroyed by Eva

that was the best part of the chapter

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Weeklies are full of fillers and Ken progressively takes more breaks as series move.

Gotta say, he spends a ton of effort on his fillers. The detail in the filler-y race was still top notch.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Negima: Akamatsu decides UQ Holder is kind of sort of on hiatus.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 22, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skychrono posted:

Gotta say, he spends a ton of effort on his fillers. The detail in the filler-y race was still top notch.

There's no way that race would have been more than 1 monthly chapter and it was 4 weeks of chapters. Monthlies worked just fine with FMA. Honestly, monthly chapters always made more sense to me when I first got into manga anyways since weekly chapters have to have cliffhangers every 16 pages (or 25 if you're Hiro Mashima and have infinite stamina to draw).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey all. Pardon me if I ramble a bit.

Recently I got sick, and decided to blitz through UQ Holder since I stopped reading it around, uh, chapter 40-ish? Right when they were gonna enter Mahora, dunno why but I didn't read the next chapter... or any until I heard the series was moving to a monthly format and remembered I hadn't read it for two years. So, yeah, read through the whole series, from chapter 1, in about three days, with breaks. It's five am now and I have work in three hours but whatever, here are my thoughts on the series that no one asked for and matter only to myself:

It's alright. But it's not as good as Negima.

Now, I'm gonna acknowledge that it's not a competition here, it's perfectly alright to have a follow-up manga that doesn't work as well as the previous one, particularly since Negima was way better than it had any right to be. But even when not comparing UQ Holder to Negima and just judging it on it's own merits, it still falls flat, and it comes down to two main reasons:

1) Touta isn't an interesting character
2) All of the side character only having working relationships with Touta, and not interesting relationships either

Frankly, Touta is just dull. He's shown some glimmers of being interesting, but so far he's gone over 100 chapters and has had basically no character development. You'd think, given the first few chapters, that he'd at least have had a revelation on what his dream is gonna be by now, or maybe started working on figuring out what he wants, but nope! We've seen him acknowledge the fact that he's aware of how shallow he is going through life with no dreams, no aspirations, no real incentive to pursue a goal of his own... but see, just acknowledging that fact doesn't change it. He's still basically in the same position as when he started.

That would be fine if he was surrounded by other interesting characters, but so far the series has done it's best to erase any potential from them so they don't steal the spotlight from Touta. Take Santa, who's introduction arc was where I stopped reading, and I'm sorry I did cause that arc was cool and Santa was a big part of why that arc was cool. Oh, but he's been basically ignored since then. Shows up in a couple of panels every chapter but hasn't been actively involved in anything since the training arc. Same with Ikku, actually he's been out of the loop even longer than that, and I don't think that Santa and Ikku have even interacted beyond a "Hello" and "Sorry for trying to kill you". Actually pretty much all the male characters have at best a couple of panels every few chapters to show that they still exist.

Well then how about Kuroumaru, Karin, or Kirie, characters who've been around for the majority of the series and who all have interesting powers and potentially interesting stories? Nothing that's not directly related to how they feel about Touta has been brought up for at least thirty chapters if not longer. Ever since the manga got back from the training arc it's been spinning it's wheels with no plot advancement at all and lots of girls inexplicably having the hots for Touta. Okay, there's been a little bit more than that going on, but looking back on the whole, when trying to trace what each character has gone through, all of them have had their focus on Touta, and while he gets to chat with Fate for a bit and hang out with Chachamaru, Ayaka and Zazie, none of the other characters are privy to any of that, which makes it seem like they're really out of the loop, like they don't matter beyond being friends with/having the hots for Touta. None of them have interacted with each other in meaningful ways, it's always either being around Touta or talking about Touta.

Oh but I guess Kuroumaru had some development in that one surprisingly sexist chapter where he literally couldn't do anything because he was a girl?

It's kinda frustrating cause you'd think having fewer characters would mean having more focus on developing those characters, right? So why is Kirie having a race against FuckingWho? and WhoTheFuck? with magically split apart Touta's? What are the stakes? Why does this matter? Why am I reading a manga with a bunch of ten year old girls getting naked and splashed with water? I feel very safe in saying that the jetski race with naked girls is probably the lowest point in both Negima and UQ Holder, and thank gently caress Negi showed up to end that nonsense.

Hopefully the most recent chapters and the switch to a monthly format are indications that Akamatsu is going to finally kick the plot into motion. Maybe we'll get some kickass fights soon, because one of the best ways a shounen manga can develop it's characters is with a kickass fight. gently caress we haven't had a proper, not-training-for-a-fight fight in ages. Speaking of, the early chapters had kickass immortality poo poo like getting Touta's head cut off or Karin eating a bullet fired in her mouth or the werewolf super-sonic heart attack, but recent chapters have pretty much dropped the whole immortality angle, so I kinda hope when the series gets back it works that kinda stuff back into the mix.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's true. If it weren't for this thread there's no way I would bother checking for new chapters on my own. Despite looking like a table of stereotypes, Negi and his entourage were a breath of fresh air in Shonen.

Negima-related: A friend recently came over and saw the Negima volumes on my shelf. He grimaced and went, "Dude, they're like 15."
I mean, when I read it I was 15 too. The character and fights haven't gotten any less interesting over time, and I still like to re-read it occasionally. It's a mental hurdle to get over but I don't think it makes sense to "grow out" of the series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like the implication that if you read Negima, it must be because you get off on the fanservice.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That would be fine if he was surrounded by other interesting characters, but so far the series has done it's best to erase any potential from them so they don't steal the spotlight from Touta. Take Santa, who's introduction arc was where I stopped reading, and I'm sorry I did cause that arc was cool and Santa was a big part of why that arc was cool. Oh, but he's been basically ignored since then. Shows up in a couple of panels every chapter but hasn't been actively involved in anything since the training arc. Same with Ikku, actually he's been out of the loop even longer than that, and I don't think that Santa and Ikku have even interacted beyond a "Hello" and "Sorry for trying to kill you". Actually pretty much all the male characters have at best a couple of panels every few chapters to show that they still exist.

Haha, you're pretty much right. I don't put much stock into the Bechdel Test but I hadn't thought about how bad this manga was about that recently.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Recently I got sick, and decided to blitz through UQ Holder since I stopped reading it around, uh, chapter 40-ish? Right when they were gonna enter Mahora, dunno why but I didn't read the next chapter... or any until I heard the series was moving to a monthly format and remembered I hadn't read it for two years. So, yeah, read through the whole series, from chapter 1, in about three days, with breaks. It's five am now and I have work in three hours but whatever, here are my thoughts on the series that no one asked for and matter only to myself:

It's alright. But it's not as good as Negima.

Now, I'm gonna acknowledge that it's not a competition here, it's perfectly alright to have a follow-up manga that doesn't work as well as the previous one, particularly since Negima was way better than it had any right to be. But even when not comparing UQ Holder to Negima and just judging it on it's own merits, it still falls flat, and it comes down to two main reasons:

1) Touta isn't an interesting character
2) All of the side character only having working relationships with Touta, and not interesting relationships either

Frankly, Touta is just dull. He's shown some glimmers of being interesting, but so far he's gone over 100 chapters and has had basically no character development. You'd think, given the first few chapters, that he'd at least have had a revelation on what his dream is gonna be by now, or maybe started working on figuring out what he wants, but nope! We've seen him acknowledge the fact that he's aware of how shallow he is going through life with no dreams, no aspirations, no real incentive to pursue a goal of his own... but see, just acknowledging that fact doesn't change it. He's still basically in the same position as when he started.

WRT 1, I actually like Touta a lot more than I did at the start of UQ Holder. He appears dumb since he's such a child and somewhat naive, but he's actually quite clever. I definitely took his extremely positive demeanor as dumb at first, but recently I've come to think he's just a kid with a kid's endless optimism. Also, during the training arc with Dana he does find a dream. He wants to make Eva happy! It's a very cute dream, IMO. :3:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well then how about Kuroumaru, Karin, or Kirie, characters who've been around for the majority of the series and who all have interesting powers and potentially interesting stories? Nothing that's not directly related to how they feel about Touta has been brought up for at least thirty chapters if not longer. Ever since the manga got back from the training arc it's been spinning it's wheels with no plot advancement at all and lots of girls inexplicably having the hots for Touta. Okay, there's been a little bit more than that going on, but looking back on the whole, when trying to trace what each character has gone through, all of them have had their focus on Touta, and while he gets to chat with Fate for a bit and hang out with Chachamaru, Ayaka and Zazie, none of the other characters are privy to any of that, which makes it seem like they're really out of the loop, like they don't matter beyond being friends with/having the hots for Touta. None of them have interacted with each other in meaningful ways, it's always either being around Touta or talking about Touta.

Oh but I guess Kuroumaru had some development in that one surprisingly sexist chapter where he literally couldn't do anything because he was a girl?

It's kinda frustrating cause you'd think having fewer characters would mean having more focus on developing those characters, right? So why is Kirie having a race against FuckingWho? and WhoTheFuck? with magically split apart Touta's? What are the stakes? Why does this matter? Why am I reading a manga with a bunch of ten year old girls getting naked and splashed with water? I feel very safe in saying that the jetski race with naked girls is probably the lowest point in both Negima and UQ Holder, and thank gently caress Negi showed up to end that nonsense.

I agree that a bunch of the other characters are treated badly, especially Santa. I also agree that the race was terrible, though I do like Shinobu and mini-Ayaka, they're funny. I wish we could have had that time with them somewhere else instead of the 6-chapter (or however many) race, ugh. I would say that Kuroumaru being unable to fight as a girl wasn't really sexist on Akamatsu's part, it was because of the complex Kuro has about his/her gender. Why would Kuro be the one girl who can't fight, after Negima and UQ Holder? :cheeky:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hopefully the most recent chapters and the switch to a monthly format are indications that Akamatsu is going to finally kick the plot into motion. Maybe we'll get some kickass fights soon, because one of the best ways a shounen manga can develop it's characters is with a kickass fight. gently caress we haven't had a proper, not-training-for-a-fight fight in ages. Speaking of, the early chapters had kickass immortality poo poo like getting Touta's head cut off or Karin eating a bullet fired in her mouth or the werewolf super-sonic heart attack, but recent chapters have pretty much dropped the whole immortality angle, so I kinda hope when the series gets back it works that kinda stuff back into the mix.

I hope so! I don't mind the antics too much, and even enjoy some of them a lot, but they really started to drag on after a while. I'm also really hoping Santa gets to do something sometime in the future!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bumping because apparently according to reddit, new chapter comes out in the monthly magazine on October 8. Late birthday present, but I'll take it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Bumping because apparently according to reddit, new chapter comes out in the monthly magazine on October 8. Late birthday present, but I'll take it.

Hope this date is correct, we've been waiting long enough! If it is then there's less than a week to go! :aaaaa:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I need more Ken action and hijinks

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Silento posted:

Hope this date is correct, we've been waiting long enough! If it is then there's less than a week to go! :aaaaa:

Oh yeah! Can't wait. We'll get it "Early" I bet.

Does anyone know if Crunchyroll's deal extends to this new magazine?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

Oh yeah! Can't wait. We'll get it "Early" I bet.

Does anyone know if Crunchyroll's deal extends to this new magazine?

Probably not; a new magazine would probably mean a new company, which would mean new negotiations for a new contract.

They'll probably just get a new deal and have it out relatively soon after it's Japan release.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I hope the info is right; even though I posted the info here, I have no way to confirm it, as I only spotted the rumor somewhere else.

I'll be working at NYCC this weekend, so I won't have the time to look for it, but it should hit the internet sooner rather than later once it comes out, via Crunchyroll if a new deal is made to simulpub it, or via other sites when available. We'll most likely get it soon, I need my Akamatsu fix. And it'll be right after my birthday too, so there's that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like raws are out

E:

quote:

Posted by hata on animesuki:

confirmation:
there are 64 pages in the chapter (from BSM cover), and 1520 spoiler pages so far.
as leaks by Ken chapter starts with services
(interesting all go totally nude except Asuna, with underwear left so her hands are free to dash out punishment,)
Al made the gravity sword.
there will be some kind of paid all member services project, details will be out next month.

new info:
NTR complete, Tota sees how Eva was happy with Negi, and accepts it. (from the exact same scene in Negima ch. 137, but you see the gorgeous smile from Eva afterward.)
Lifemaker’s initial name is ヨルダ·バオト. (Yoruda·Baoto, probably name after Yarudabaoto, a super god robot after apotheosis in Super Robot War.)

note:
as someone acutely notices, on the chapter splash page, it was UQ Holders! #129, Mahou Sensei Negima! 2, as Ken no longer need to shy away with the obvious.

in the flashback you can tell the character design, especially Negi, Ken tries to use the Negima earlier style.

the spoiler pictures come out 30 minutes after Titans, which is impressive, (I thought it would be days after like SM) this means UQ is still pretty much in high demand, however, they are not originally from 2ch or reddit… but whoever is doing Titans spoiler is obviously also taking it up.

there are actually not that much story progression, in the end of chapter we were back in UQ timeline, so I will skip the blow by blow (Tota took lot’s of them) description, people should be able to find those pictures in the usual place after a delay, (I see they are already reposted to reddit and 4chan already.)

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 6, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look at this scrub, not knowing Yaldabaoth is the name of the Demiurge in Gnostism.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, people pointed that out really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
UQ Holder: Akamatsu decides that Negima isn't over at all in the slightest.

• Locked thread