Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just wish he had stuck to the amazing downer ending from the penultimate chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, but that is a whole lot of characters with swords.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I see that Negi never overcame his natural tendency to act like a gigolo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So the manga is going to be about meeting all those weird characters for a while, and presumably the main plot will gradually start during this period. This looks very promising.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Negima is roughly half shounen fighting manga and half creepy harem manga. The latter aspect is much more prevalent in the beginning, but it never goes away entirely. Just when you think that it is going to be all explosions and Jack Rakan, they go back to the harem poo poo and then underage girls lose their clothes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Negi was supposedly immortal too. Maybe some of that got passed down to Touta, and interacted oddly with Eva's brand of immortality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
PENGUIN.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta is not an ordinary vampire, though. Something that would work on most vampires might be less effective to Eva's progeny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta lacks motivation. He does whatever seems fun, and latches on to other people's dreams on a whim. I'm sure this will change, but right now he isn't all that interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
At least now we know why Touta's immortality was supposed to be so powerful. He had the potential to become immortal before Eva made him a vampire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Robviously posted:

Honestly, reading the Kyoto arc gives a pretty good idea of what Eva is capable of even before there's all of the exposition and training in the magical world. The early Eva arc basically just sets up a bit of backstory that I remember being able to be inferred later on. After that, if you're skipping around, you're missing a bit of stuff. It goes pretty quick, again from what I remember, to the festival arc and the questionable stuff diminishes. The tournament in the festival is great if only for Chisame's reactions to her world quickly melting around her.

Kyoto seems to be where Akamatsu decided to go full shonen with it and found his true calling. I like Love Hina but between Negima and this series, it's obvious he should have been doing this all along.

Akamatsu wasn't originally anything special as an artist and storyteller. UQH is great, but it comes after years of him developing his craft.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You have to keep in mind that it isn't like a switch flips and Negima goes from being entirely about naked 14 year old girls to entirely about ballin' fight scenes. The wretched fanservice harem content takes up about 50% of the manga total and it never goes away entirely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silento posted:

While I agree that the amount of fanservice in Negima is unfortunate, I definitely do enjoy the wacky hijinks. The slice-of-life chapters pretty frequently put a smile on my face when I read through them.

On the topic of UQ Holder, I hope Touta gets a bit more clever. Rakan wasn't stupid, he just gave no fucks. Touta already has the give no fucks part down pat, he just needs the experience to back it up.

What Touta really needs is motivation. The thing is, he could get that at any time if his memory came back, because whatever killed his parents also hosed up Eva. However, the manga could also continue as it is and he could gradually find something to motivate him. The whole 'make friends with every immortal' thing was dropped just as quickly as all of the life goals he borrowed from his friends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Honestly, I'm surprised that the future isn't a dystopia following the mold of DNA^2. The idea that Negi overcame being a natural gigolo seems incredibly unlikely. I wonder why he doesn't seem to be all that famous, though? No one ever mentions him even though he was responsible for most of the defining features of the setting. Heck, even the slum is unbelievably pleasant (for a slum), which says a lot about the rest of the world. Maybe he is only famous on Mars?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems obvious that an 'immortal hunter' would have pretty strong feelings about immortals, but maybe immortality is viewed negatively in the magic world.

Also, this guy is pretty much just a dumbass. Immortals are all bad, especially the ones who saved the world(s)! Like, he was probably the only person to directly witness the mage of the beginning being taken down from the outside and that is what he took away from it.
What, did his girlfriend dump him to spend more time on the Negi fanclub?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 22, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

One of the things I thought was neat about magia erebea as Negima used it was that the negative emotion or darkness didn't stem from just fear or anger or the typical things one would assume, but his own doubts and misgivings. It was literally his own negativity about himself and his decisions. "Dark doesn't mean bad" isn't a particularly new concept, but it was used, I think, in a logical way rather than just asking the reader to roll with it.

He was always a very negative kid, full of doubts and worries. It was nice, as it set him apart from most shounen protagonists. I guess Touta seems to take more after his great grandfather. I wonder what sort of enemy will let him channel those traits productively?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

He doesn't seem to have much in the way of negative emotions, so it's a possibility.

By the way, am I the only one who finds it weird that our heroes have numbered ranks and command squads of interchangeable weak subordinates? Usually those are traits of villains, or at least secondary protagonists.

Why is it odd? UQ Holder was founded by Eva. She might have mellowed out due to her time in Mahora, but I doubt she will ever give up the demonic queen of the night schtick entirely.

I hadn't really realized before this chapter that if Touta's goal is to meet all of the existing immortals, that includes a few members of class 2A.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, while the fanservice is 50% or more of the manga and that it never goes away entirely, most of the really egregious bullshit is at the start of the manga. It started lousy, and got better.

None of the anime adaptations really cover what is good about the later parts of the manga, either. The first one emphasized the skeevy naked 14 year old girl poo poo above all else and had a crappy anime filler ending. The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming. The OVAs jumped all over the place, and even though they were ostensibly adaptations of (arguably) the best parts of the manga they cut out as much of the crazy fights and character development for fanservice as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, the first anime totally got the point. Strip a bunch of underage girls, watch the cash roll in. That crap is the main source of Negima's popularity, we just aren't the target audience for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The Negima cast is big. Like, holy poo poo it's a big cast. It's inevitable that Akamatsu would have had to reduce it down to what he felt were the most interesting ones for character development. More time allocated to I don't know the cheerleading squad means less time for Chachamaru, Eva, Nodoka, etc.

We saw what happens when one of the completely uninteresting characters gets some focus. (Ako sucks.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he could really send objects literally anywhere, he wouldn't need to do this immortal hunter stuff. He could become fabulously wealthy via smuggling, since I'm sure that the route to Mars has become even more regulated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eva tries to do the whole disinterested thing, but more importantly she is very, very possessive. If it was just a matter of Kouta getting his rear end kicked in a personal fight, sure. She'd sit back and watch all day. However, Kouta is her student that she made a vampire and a member of her organization doing work she assigned. No way she'd let him be captured, presumably as a research subject. Eva never liked humans very much, after all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Usually it isn't the main character, so I suppose if this goes through that would be interesting at least. Now if Eva's the one who winds up getting captured that would be kind of :doh: though.

Like that's gonna happen. The grunts were tough, but it wasn't completely one-sided. Eva is just on another level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder how long it would take Karin to get back from the moon under her own power? She won't have to, but I'm sure she is capable of doing so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yggdrasil325 posted:

The guy in the last panel... is that who I think it is?

It looks like Fate, yes. But remember, he might not be the only surviving Averruncus. I think Eva stuck most of them into some sort of eternal ice?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If she can freely load from her save points, it is obvious how she got so rich. She has to do a little ritual, so it is very much save points rather than save states. It seems much better suited to finance than fighting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Her immortality is very dependent on having a safe refuge where she can leave save points, which explains why she rarely goes out. Also, unlike most of the immortals her immortality hasn't manifested in a way that is useful for fighting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder if her latest save point expires and she dies again does she go back to an earlier save which did not expire? Of course, that would require save points to burn out if she dies too many times, which certainly hasn't been stated either way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think there was any deep dark secret involved. Kaede was from a ninja clan and ended up in that class because that is where all of the weirdos naturally congregated. She had loads of talent and potential, but there wasn't much opportunity for her to go out and actually be a ninja until she got caught up in Negi's stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

None of the anime adaptations really cover what is good about the later parts of the manga, either. The first one emphasized the skeevy naked 14 year old girl poo poo above all else and had a crappy anime filler ending. The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming. The OVAs jumped all over the place, and even though they were ostensibly adaptations of (arguably) the best parts of the manga they cut out as much of the crazy fights and character development for fanservice as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silento posted:

If you end up reading Negima, and you should, please post your reactions in this thread. I'd love to hear what a first-time reader thinks of it. :)

"Hooray, I'm now on an FBI watchlist. Thanks, ADTRW."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is true. Episode nineteen if I remember correctly. That's literally all that's worth watching; I can't remember if the comic touched on Sayo's backstory at all.

It didn't, but instead we got Mini-Sayo piloting a life-size Sayo with laser eyes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta is fine with the being unkillable part of immortality. He is like 14, so it probably comes naturally to him. The necessary emotional detachment, though? He doesn't understand that at all. Touta isn't going to be able to put his friends at risk even if he knows it will be reset. He lacks emotional maturity, even more so than most teenage boys because he only has like 3 years worth of memories. Basically all he needs to do here is not hesitate, but that is basically all he can do right now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fate was never human. By the time they became friends, Negi wasn't human either. Why would he give a drat about Touta being a vampire?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

In the end, what bothered me most about Negima's ending is that he never picked a girl.

Considering that Negi never hit puberty, having him never pick a girl was perfectly fine with me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tota is descended in some way from Konoka. Personally, I hope that Negi just served as a sperm donor for Konoka and Setsuna. Those two were the only real couple in Negima, after all. In other words, Negi might have never managed to choose a girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Natsumi and Kotarou are over in the corner being sad about how you forgot they existed.

Again, I have a very hard time taking a relationship involving a pre-pubescent child seriously. In Negima, all of the named male characters are either children or adults. Asuna was portrayed as being a weirdo for being into old men, even though she was pretty much the only person who consistently pointed out how bizarre it was to consider a 10 year old boy as a love interest. Besides, Kotarou was even less interested in girls than Negi, except for when it came to power levels. He was physically and mentally a child in every way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Robviously posted:

And it literally says that Kotarou and Natsumi got married like two pages after Setsuna and Konoe are shown to have in that last chapter. Ain't got nothing to do with age and they're apparently still crying in that corner all alone.

Now that, I did forget.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GodFish posted:

It probably isn't, but I'll laugh if the waitress is Tsukuyomi.

I'd say that it is very plausible. Tsukuyomi worked for Fate a long time ago, is casually murderous, and of course uses a katana. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she was the only person who ever associated with Fate to use a katana. She was only ever a hired gun, so Fate going back to his rear end in a top hat ways means she would be perfectly willing to work for him again. Tsukuyomi wasn't entirely human so she would have aged but not as much as a human, and the hair fits (not that this means much in a b&w manga).

I kind of forgot that she existed, personally. We never did find out just what her deal was, provided she even had one aside from the obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, I really love this cast of characters.

• Locked thread