Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember not bothering with Negima originally because it struck me as Love Hina all over again, until I one day was reading TV Tropes, came across an article about Negi's black magic, which piqued my interest as I wondered how they went from being a love-comedy to such a dark visual and started reading the entire thing.

And I really loved it once it started to pick up and it seemed like it would never end. Then Del Ray stopped and Kondansha started and everything just started falling apart.

It still strikes me that his "ending" was left intended to be open for interpretation; one version of many he had planned, but none could be conclusive or satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Was this ever proven or sourced? I seem to remember it was just a lot of speculation from the fanbase when they coupled the ending with the new legislation. I think it likely was the case behind the scenes either way but I don't think Akamatsu actually came out and said it was a protest.

You can't really come out and say such a thing publicly, that'd be the equivalent of publicity suicide as a manga writer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Jesus how loving weird did Negima get? I stopped reading around the Magic Tournament arc.

Why would you stop reading when it turned really good? :stare:

Sonata Mused posted:

Negi is a descendant of the Thousand Master. "He was called that because he had 1,000 pactios." - Chamo

Funnily enough, Nagi still had more pactios with guys than Negi does. Presumably Nagi had only pactios with guys.

I think he actually envies Negi at some point.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Only problem I really have with Eva's new form is that she looks way too much like one of the teachers from Negima who was mostly a background character except in a short side-story involving Yuna and her daddy issues and does not really resemble her "adult form" we saw in early Negima.

I guess it's a workable disguise though, but it looks a bit off from what I expected.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Considering she's no longer confined to Mahora and is no longer restricted in her magic use, I think it's safe to say she's just free to do whatever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Silento posted:

Yea, the festival arc was really good but I prefer the magic world arc. There's just so much cool stuff going on all over the place, and the lore is very interesting! :allears:

My favorite parts of the Negima books were the special bits at the end where he showed 3D models of things he used when drawing and went into deep elaboration about the magical spells in the latin, greek and other sources and backstory stuff.

It made the entire series feel so much deeper than most shonen stuff and far deeper than anything he's ever done before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

Deeper even than Love Hina?

What was so deep about Love Hina?

EDIT: vvvv Alright, just thought I might have missed something about it, but the only places I could see it being even slightly educational would be when they traveled to foreign places and deserted islands, but that was more the exception than the case.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 10, 2013

• Locked thread