Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The ending to Negima was legitimately insulting to the readership. He made the climax of the story occur off-screen and then never explained any of it. There's no way he did that as anything other than a "gently caress you" to someone.

Impressions (includes Negima spoilers): The chapter seemed like a standard opening chapter, with pretty much nothing from Negima being explained in any real sense (presumably on purpose). I'm going to go ahead and call that Touta is just going to turn out to be Negi himself reborn or reincarnated or something along those lines. His surname is "Konoe" which is the same as Konoka from Negima, but the ending of Negima showed that she was clearly a lesbian paired up with her demon-girl bodyguard, so we didn't really learn anything there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paracelsus posted:

Or Negi was the donor for a lesbian couple with whom he had a close relationship; that's not unheard of in the real world, and would explain both how Negi could be his grandfather and how his name was Konoe.

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:, although it was sad to see her have to leave even Chachazero behind. And drat, Kaede got taaaaall.

...or Negi's kid was a girl who married a male Konoe.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

That's also possible, but the graves are for Negi and two Konoes, with no obvious signs of a wife for Negi.

Edit: As an addendum, there's another issue: two girls -> no Y chromosome -> no male offspring without extensive genetic engineering.

I think that's just a contrivance to not let you know who won in Negima. How Konoka and Setsuna had children, or even if its theirs (the Konoe family was apparently quite large), I don't know. Its a magic world and Setsuna's some kind of demon, so who knows.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm just shocked at how little fanservice there was in UQ. There was only one panel of outright fanservice and nobody's clothes got blown off.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd honestly be baffled if Akamatsu was legitimately satisfied skipping the entire final arc of Negima and doesn't just revisit it here through time travel hijinks which were pretty much all over the place in Negima.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just realized the Touta is just Negi and Kotaro combined into a single character (e.g. he's a hard-working, earnest chick-magnet AND he's hot-blooded and airheaded) Too bad the result is a stock shonen protagonist.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

chumbler posted:

I think Touta was turned immortal 2 years ago, if I remember right. Given that his parents were biological and medical scientists according to their tombstones, I'm guessing he's in some way artificial or a clone. Or hey, maybe the data really is just wrong :v:.

I would be extremely surprised if he didn't turn out to either be Negi himself or a clone of Negi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

booksnake posted:

He clearly identifies as a dude and takes offense to being constantly taken for a girl, so yes, it's probably more appropriate. Also him becoming a girl would ruin the joke.

I think Kuromaru identifies as a dude simply for "I must be strong" purposes.

chumbler posted:

I am pretty sure at this point that Touta is gayer than the day is long, and it's going to be really sad if Kuroumaru doesn't figure it out and decides to become female. Also I guess it's probably more appropriate right now to use 'he' as a pronoun for Kuroumaru?

Didn't Touta clearly show interest in seeing Evangeline naked?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bremen posted:

The opposite, IIRC.

He said he didn't want to see an old lady naked, but he also said he wanted to go spy on the girls bath because its just a thing guys do.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Let's not forget Ken literally never resolved the Negi-harem at all. He just ended the series without saying anything. So there's the possibility Kuromaru is still a non-gender at the end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The chances that Tota isn't just Negi reincarnated after a fashion when a wizard did something are falling to abysmally low numbers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Huh? I don't see this at all, not even a little bit. For starters, Tota's personality is polar opposite to Negi's.

If you were reincarnated in Japan as a Japanese baby with Japanese parents, I bet you would have a different personality than you do now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Doubt and anger are completely natural reactions to the situations in this manga, though? Touta is totally Negi because he got angry at people who burned down a slum town and killed the innocent inhabitants and has doubted his ability after getting beaten up, you know!

I think Touta is much more like Nagi than Negi anyway, though he still isn't a carbon copy since he lacks Nagi's signature all-consuming arrogance.

I just think he's probably Negi because Ken's gonna have to tie his existence into the story at some point and I don't buy that Negi ever picked one of the chicks. I'll take "clone" too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its going to get tiring super fast if they just keep bringing in random loving Negima characters for 3 chapter cameos. He should have actually loving finished Negima if he wanted to show us all the poo poo that went down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Allarion posted:

New chapter's up. And I guess the Touta is Negi/Nagi theory is alive again.

I'll hold off from the "I CALLED IT and you all said I was dumb and wrong" until we get confirmation on that, but yeah. I mean, come on, obviously he's not going to be Negi's real grandchild because that would imply Negi picked a girl, which Ken isn't going to let happen because he's a horrible bastard who hates closure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Source doesn't seem credible.

Chao Lingshen says hi.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I legitimately think this would be a top-tier shonen if not for the fact you can't understand practically anything that is happening without reading all of Negima.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Then maybe you should read all of Negima

I did, I just can't recommend the series to anyone else because then I have to recommend Negima to them first. Then they read chapter 1 and see a bunch of girls getting their clothes blasted off so then they refuse to read it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Man, for a bunch of immortals this bunch are such kids. "I have come to a startling realization. I love my weird adoptive mom in a completely normal, non-romantic way."

"Bwaaaa? That is completely shocking and it makes me blush."

Not only is that not particularly unusual, it wouldn't have been that unusual if he had the hots for her either (he's like 16, has only known her for a couple of years and her typical form looks like a Ken Akamatsu character).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

Since he doesn't actually look like Negi, that's probably what it is. Either that or else a fictional usage of clones is actually taking epigenetics into account for once.

Of course, the Occam's Razor solution is that he doesn't look like Negi so they could save the "he's a Negi clone" for 75 chapters in and Ken could troll us about Negi actually picking a girl for an entire year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Anyway, Kirie's training makes a whole lot of sense and I think several of us predicted it.

Edit: Actually now that I checked none of us did, at least in this thread.

I liked Kirie better when she was Chisame.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm really confused why Touta went from loving his adoptive mom in a normal platonic way to being in love with adoptive mom.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

The Backdown happened entirely because he realized who Kitty was.

I'm not sure I follow. He didn't know it was Evangeline until when?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Can't we just go back to her being "Evangeline?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

She's been "Kitty" since like chapter 112 of Negima. Or whenever it was Albeiro showed up.

That was just like one guy. Everyone else called her Evangeline the entire time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've never had a real problem with the reader other than I tend to visit the minute after chapters are loaded because it's the end of my work shift and the chapters aren't visible so I have to manually type the chapter in to the url.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You guys seem more excited for elderly Ayaka than Chachamaru?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

If it's Chachamaru in the flesh, then I require Chisame as well.

Kirie is a pretty straight Chisame expy.

HellCopter posted:

Chachamaru's Pactio was an orbital laser. I wonder if there's too much stuff in space in the year 2XXX for it be used safely.

Chachamaru's pactio chapter was really funny too.

KISS HARDER

(...Akamatsu please do not include any Tota cranking Chachamaru scenes)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 26, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

Touta is still a dummy who doesn't quite understand romance. He wants to marry Eva the same way a 4 year old wants to marry their mom, because they don't actually understand such concepts and just want to live with them always.

Which makes some sense since Touta is only a few years old in actuality anyway. Poor clone kid's got a body that's way older than his mind.

Touta actually is 4.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The way Touta rekd Kuromaru's confession was super-Negi like. I got chills.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

No, man there's no ship teasing. It's just Kirie's honor as an immortal. It's not like she likes him or anything.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Santa mostly reminds me of Kotarou. Random clueless sidekick.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's obviously Kuro and then she'll just say "uh I'm Kuro's sister, yeah."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I can't help but imagine gender relations would be incomprehensibly different in a species that selects gender based on what they're attracted to well past adolescence. The concept that Kuro wants to go male because dudes are stronger is pretty lolworthy in a series in which all of the strongest people in the setting are either 10 year old kids or 14 year old girls.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's not going to be a resolution on Kuromaru's gender ever. We're talking about the same guy who didn't resolve the main plot in his last work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

And he is going back to that plot in this work!

I'll believe that when I see it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kirie hoping to repopulate the Earth in frozen spacetime; Touta just wants to spend eternity looking at Evangeline's rack. Kirie doomed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

No chapter this week because last week was a double issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine apparently. I guess that's to be expected near the end of the year, right before Christmas and New Year's. We'll have one more chapter for the year the week after this in another double issue, then it'll almost certainly resume weekly publication in the new year, until Ken's next weekly hiatus, whenever that will be...
Am I way behind? I felt like the new chapter came out today but I guess I'm just behind. Seems like the difference between Touta and Negi is that they both have massive harem powers, but Negi spread it around whereas Touta concentrates it more on his main haremites due to him being slightly older and being way more forward in doing things that get them going.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, there was no chapter this week. The last one was chapter 105, released on Crunchyroll a week ago. Are you following it on another site indtead? Maybe that's why you feel behind if that site hadn't released the chapter yet.

Yeah, Touta's only like 3 or 4 years old (remember, he's a created human or a clone of some sort, Santa found out as much when he was researching him in his room in Mahora right before they met by becoming roommates when Touta, Kuromaru, Karin, Ikku, and Kirie were sent to Mahora to deal with that murderer that turned out to be connected to him as Sayoko gave him his powers; and all but confirmed when he fought that dark skinned clone who claimed to be his sister a wielding a copy of Asuna's sword). Even Negi was 10 (technically 9 and some months close to a half) when he started turning on the Springfield charm to the girls of 3-A.

Negi had a core group in his harem that he focused on, but then eventually got most of 3-A involved, plus others. Touta just has less to work with here in the female non mook members of Holder, plus his other hanger ons that he picked up via the Springfield gene and other misadventures. Likely if he meets more people, like descendants of 3-A or whatever, he'll work his magic on them as well with the skills he inherited from his grandfather...

But the chapter that I read on Crunchyroll was 106. It is on Crunchyroll right now, just type in 106 in the URL, same with Fairy Tail, Fuuka and Yamada and the Seven Witches, all of which I read on Crunchyroll.

Edit: No, wait, they took it down! But when I posted that I had read it and then I was confused because no one else had read it! I guess they weren't "supposed" to put it up this week but did for a while anyways. That would explain why I was talking about Kirie's backstory and everyone was like "what the gently caress are you talking about."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

No, that's just his actual age. His mental age is a bit more advanced, probably due to all the heavy poo poo he has to deal with.

I'm guessing he was cloned at a level of intelligence befitting his apparent age, not his real age.

• Locked thread