Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

As the title suggest, You're Next is a really good horror film, but I'm not sure how easily I'm going to be able to convince you of that. Yes, it's getting pretty good reviews and all but it's really hard to express why this movie is so good without spoiling things and what's out there isn't really helpful. I mean look at this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUQWpEkbf0
Just looks like a typical home invasion horror film, right? Well it is one but it also does more. How so you might ask? Well I don't want to tell you because that would spoil the fun of this movie. I will say that even taken as a home invasion film, it is really well done. There are plenty of clever creepy moments and while it does alot of the things you'd expect, it does that stuff really well. Also the animal masks are pretty creepy.

One thing I can tell you is that this movie is really funny. It's still scary and the humor doesn't take away from that but the whole thing has a very dry, dark humor that knows it's genre without being self aware or self referential. It has that The Host (the Korean monster film, not the Stephanie Myers one) thing going on where the dynamics of a dysfunctional family put an off spin on the tropes that are going on but it's a different family and a different situation, so it plays out very differently. The horrible situation just isn't enough to destroy family dynamics that have built up over the years and stuff plays out differently than you'd expect and often in ways that are funny in a way that's also kind of real.

So it's both scary and funny and neither of those aspects cancel each other out, is that enough? No? Well I certainly can't convince you by dropping the name of the director. Adam Wingard is probably best known for making not so great segments in the V/H/S films (he did the framework segments in the first one and the artificial eye segment in the second). Still, I'll assure you that despite those missteps, he's really on his game here. He both shows a great understanding of the genre while playing with it and slightly poking at it. In general the film is really well shot and created a great mood that balances the horror and humor while making the whole thing kind of human while still making it a slasher film.

While there's not alot in the ads or the films pedigree that make this film interesting, I will say that these posters are awesome:

No they didn't get permission from those movies but Tyler Perry thought it was awesome!

Still not convinced? Okay fine. The main thing this film does that's interesting is it puts on ultra competent character in the mix. This might not seem like a big change but it changes the dynamic character. While most of the character act like the typical horror movie characters, you have one that does everything right at all times and it just changes everything. It creates that horror movie where the character does the tactically realistic thing at all times and as a result she ends up being more threatening than the killers which just drastically changes the dynamic as the film goes on. This basically creates a situation where you question what makes the killer in the horror film the killer. It takes the typical powers that the killer in a slasher has, and gives them to another character and lets it play out and the results are kind of amazing.

This is probably my favorite horror film so far this year (though oddly enough the thing ranking this over V/H/S/2 is a short by the director of this film). It might not look all that special but it really will surprise you if you give it a chance (unless you read all that stuff I put under spoiler text).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times and it looks like Hotline Miami: The Movie, only rubbish.

And I know Hotline Miami is basically Drive: The Game, but the aesthetic of You're Next just looked like someone had been directly cribbing from Hotline Miami. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

tanglewood1420 posted:

I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times and it looks like Hotline Miami: The Movie, only rubbish.

And I know Hotline Miami is basically Drive: The Game, but the aesthetic of You're Next just looked like someone had been directly cribbing from Hotline Miami. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

You're Next has been playing the festivals for a while and was made in 2011, so it predates Hotline Miami.

Also, for better or worse, the movie is nothing like Hotline Miami outside of animal masks.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006
Teenage Mutant Ninja Cripple

There's something inherently creepy about cheap crappy animal masks. Except for that one horse mask everyone wears, that thing is hilarious.

The thing you put in the spoiler is interesting, but it makes me wonder, has that been done before? It seems really obvious, but in a 'why didn't I invent that?' kinda way.

Corek
May 11, 2013

SMG Macklemore Fanclub

cat doter posted:

There's something inherently creepy about cheap crappy animal masks. Except for that one horse mask everyone wears, that thing is hilarious.

The thing you put in the spoiler is interesting, but it makes me wonder, has that been done before? It seems really obvious, but in a 'why didn't I invent that?' kinda way.

Robocop?

Golem II
Jan 14, 2006

With his mouth sewn shut, he still shakes his butt

I saw the trailer and figured out it was a typical home invasion horror film with a possible twist that someone that's being attacked isn't as they seem. Am I right? Should I bother still seeing it?

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Really good reviews from friends. Might go check it out. Every single one says the trailer was garbage for the actual tone and flow of the movie.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Golem II posted:

I saw the trailer and figured out it was a typical home invasion horror film with a possible twist that someone that's being attacked isn't as they seem. Am I right? Should I bother still seeing it?

The twist is that the guy in the mask is Goldberg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This movie is a blast, I'm always down for humor that isn't forced. Perfect casting, especially Joe Swanberg, who just looks like a goddamn rear end in a top hat. It's why Ti West's V/H/S segment is so good (and Ti West himself plays to type very well).

axleblaze posted:

In general I like how real the characters felt. Even the killers felt like real people. I like the scene where the killer just sits down for a second. There's no reason for it beyond the fact he's probably tired.

Also, I like when they sneak in a quote from another movie but don't make it obvious. When he sits down on the couch next to the guy and looks at the axe in Kelly's (?) head, he does the Michael Myers head-tilt thing. But then when it's revealed what's going on later, it becomes less mysterious and creepy and more just plain funny. He might be a hardened killer but you know what's going on his head now that he's been revealed to be a (presumably) relatable person, which is: "huh, that looks weird."

JP Money posted:

We have to assume that she loses in the end by killing the cop (inadvertently).

I didn't stick around to watch an after credits thing but the credits themselves imply that she's imprisoned as the perpetrator of the massacre (or more likely, for the murder of the cop). Unless that's not what you meant.

Love that the villain of the piece at the end is a mansplaining nice guy, linking it back to all the brosploitation that these guys are now known for. So much about the specificity of all that stuff, like the dozy woman-child just getting banged by her slob boyfriend, Swanberg casually asking for Vicodin which comes up in two good jokes later on, the high strung sister who's just like the mom (which they wisely don't overexplain), the well-meaning sitcom Republican dad; it kind of reminds me of a Jody Hill thing but with people who are just kind of gentle and comfortable but awful as opposed to just obnoxious and awful.

Even the ultimate villany of the movie is two guys being passive aggressive; Zee is turned off by the fact that Felix will go there but not really "go there", Crispin's basically one of those guys who starts a fire so he can rescue a girl he likes to look like a badass but ends up killing a bunch of people instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2013 around 19:43

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

One thing I liked in general was just how unerotic all the sexual stuff was. Like you mentioned, the movie opens in a typical fashion of a couple having sex but it's such uninteresting sex and the woman just looks bored and it just kind of lingers awkwardly after it's done. Then later you have one brother try to fondle his wife and she's just not into it and that ends that scene. Then later Zee tries to have sex on the mother's corpse and that just gets shut down because it's kind of weird. Like all these typically forced titillation moments happen but they then play out like they would if they happening with real people.

In general that's just how the movie is though: it's a horror film tropes being messed up by people that react to them in the wrong way. Most of the characters in the film react like people rather than characters written to force a plot along and then you have the one character who is as close to a tactical realist as you can possibly get and who fucks everything up.
It's really such a slight change in attitudes and characters but it changes things so drastically and in a way that feel natural.

Also how do you mispell my name while quoting me You're just doing this on purpose now!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I manually did the quote tag. Let me change that!

Also the brother fondling his wife is a quote of his own scene in V/H/S! Except, of course, from a "correct" perspective. He's not holding a camera, so it's easier for her to just shut him down without controversy. Hilarious.

The adolescent hanky-panky is part of who they all are, they play fight, their parents judge them by their company, they can't even sit through dinner without rolling their eyes at each other despite all being in their 30's. Even the dirtbag military commandos aren't immune from this immaturity, the killing of the brother is "traumatic" in the sense that their distance from all the killing has ended and now it's all "real". They're stone cold killers until they're forced out of the roles they're assigned to play. Their tactical sense is a posture they take to achieve a goal but it breaks down when they're caught off guard. Erin was raised with that mentality so she's less than impressed.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Yeah, in general the immaturity and pettiness of the characters is a driving force in the movie. You have to love how the two brothers react to seeing their parents being killed as in they talk about how hard it is for them to see that. In a moment where their actions lead to the deaths of their parents, they still have to make the moment about them and try to get sympathy and attention out of it.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

In general you gotta love how this movie basically plays off of Ils and The Strangers. Those are movies that are trying to find horror in the nihilistic concept that sometimes people kill for no reason and they just do it because it's something to do. In this they're trying to make the murders look like that when they're actually just doing it for really shallow reasons but in the end Erin kills Crispen basically for those nihilistic reasons. It's like they're trying to create this horror plot but faking it's central element, so it has to come out elsewhere.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Exactly. That's what I mean when I talk about the specificity of it; typically when you think of "types" and "archetypal" characters, you are thinking of something quite big - you're thinking of the ludicrous trillionaire eccentric Peter Weyland of Prometheus or NY to LA transplant exaggerated everyman hero cop John McClane or Walter White or what have you, but small, specific characters can be "big" too. Film's so good because it can convey a lot with visual information and a few lines of dialog, unfortunately this can lead to arm-flailing stereotypes but when it's pulled off well it makes you forget how much work goes into making a movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

I'm surprised no one's brought up its revisionist take on Bay of Blood or Agatha Christie yet. This is a film that knows its history, looks all those movies in the face and throws up a middle finger. I love it. Someday, I hope it's mentioned alongside Scream and The Cabin in the Woods as one of those movies that reinvented a stale genre.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I wasn't really sure what to have expected from this movie going in as I kept myself in the dark and just knew it was by Adam Wingard. But I really enjoyed it. Like it was mentioned, a very clever approach to the otherwise stale home invasion genre. I was hoping Erin was going to stab/kill Crispian in the middle of his speach. But he got his, so vv

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

OBVIOUS LANNISTER PLANT SPOTTED

Copying over my black text posts from the Gimme Blood thread to here. Short story is this movie is amazing and I don't know why we still need to be telling folks "Guys, it's way better than you think it is from the trailer" when that's literally in the thread title. Anyway:

quote:

I feel like this movie did a much better and subtler job at commenting on horror forms than Cabin in the Woods, both of them being concerned with the imposition of archetypes onto real people. The brothers' plan involves dressing up some ex military guys in slasher trappings, making them wear the animal masks not even really for anonymity but because they seek to compartmentalize the attack into an act of pure madness and malice - "Why would someone do something like this?" Similarly, Erin needs to be their final girl. Crispian knows Erin is sweet, and the undertones are that he's more or less been successfully exploiting her in their relationship so far. So the strength of their plan is determined by how effectively characters fall into their expected archetypes. It's mostly successful! But then Erin decides she'd like to be the killer instead, and that she can do a better job at it than the military guys (she traps the house just like they do, but hers is effective even after it's noticed).

It's not even that she has those survival skills, as things still proceed in a standard slasher lens during the early sections of her revealing her badass training. But it's once she makes the more convincing argument that she ought to be the slasher (her kills are way more viscerally entertaining than those of the masked guys) and the camera switches allegiances. Now she's the killer, and now we're rooting for the jump scare to happen.
Fantastic movie. Hilarious movie. I normally don't go for horror comedy at all, having hated Drag Me to Hell and Cabin in the Woods, but this was so fantastically on point.

quote:

I don't really have a problem with her being so hyper competent because it feels like a natural consequence of her taking on the mantle of the (heroic, cathartic) slasher. I realize I'm essentially making a "but it's SUPPOSED to be unrealistic!" argument, but when she gets her first kill, it's not even really implausible. She dodges one attack that Tiger wasn't expecting her to dodge, fights dirty, and presses her advantage. It looks cool as hell, and she transitions it into ultraviolence, but at that point it's reasonably plausible. But then it ends up acting like a ritual of sorts, almost a job application for the narrative power of the slasher. What the audience wants is more powerful than military training or survivalist training, and that's what she channels most effectively.

I'd even argue that when her trap kills Adam Wingard the incompetent idiot cop, it's still a moment of catharsis. Compromised, complicated catharsis, but still. It's a trope for the final survivor of a horror film to denied victory in a mean-spirited way at the last moment by some assholes who lack the film's context (e.g. Night of the Living Dead's protagonist getting killed by some racists, or Sarah Connor getting institutionalized). It sucks to have our moment of audience triumph stomped on by some idiot fucker who doesn't get how cool our hero is, and that's just what Officer Wingard does. So we're mad, we feel betrayed, we want triumph for our heroine. So while we're not shouting for him to open the trapped door, we're happy even it happens to some extent because it means some idiot can't just come in and mess up the status quo where Erin has her moment of triumph, her rejection of the film's initial premises in favor of premises where she kicks rear end.

I agree with you totally that it's not a completely happy ending, and does indicate a little how Erin is kinda hosed up and how we're kinda tucked up for cheering for her. But it's still a cathartic kill, in line with her earlier ones, when her brick trap finally pays dividends on some guy we've known for two minutes but that we already hate (Adam Wingard knows just how punchable he looks. This wasn't an accident)

Note: I've been since told that I misidentified the actor I mentioned in the second post. It's actually another director named Calvin Lee Reeder, which is exactly what I'd expect a guy who looks like that to be named.

Ronco Showtime
Apr 30, 2004
You'd probably expect to spend...

Just got back from this, going in mostly blind except for the trailers and expected a pretty typical home invasion slasher with Hotline Miami masks.

Instead what I got was something fan-loving-tastic. Movie was a total blast and also managed to be very funny at times, it's really a great blend of suspense and humor. I'll probably see this again and bring new people, it's that much fun.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

I found this really mediocre despite the excellent reviews. I feel like this movie set out to do something that other movies like Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs Evil did much MUCH better. They also started throwing in retro 80s synthesizer music tracks towards the end. Whatever.

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

What are those things, if you could express them briefly, and how did those two films do them better?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

My review is up, if anyone cares. I went out of my way not to spoil anything, so if you're concerned about such things, you can still get a pristine viewing experience.

Toriori
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

I'm looking forward to checking it out, I thought the trailer was creepy and while I hated The Strangers with a passion, I'm still interested in this. Not reading the spoilers this time! Is there a lot of gore in it? Or is it more left to the imagination? Im squeamish and hate the sight of blood despite loving horror films and find not seeing things directly a lot more unnerving.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Toriori posted:

I'm looking forward to checking it out, I thought the trailer was creepy and while I hated The Strangers with a passion, I'm still interested in this. Not reading the spoilers this time! Is there a lot of gore in it? Or is it more left to the imagination? Im squeamish and hate the sight of blood despite loving horror films and find not seeing things directly a lot more unnerving.

It's pretty violent but there's not much too much in terms of like creatively violent or excessive kills.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I don't know, man, this movie is pretty drat gory. It's not a mile a minute, nor is it Saw but it will definitely catch you off guard more than a couple of times.

Mr. Flunchy
Mar 26, 2005

I really dug it. I loved how they didn't make the central family obviously despicable, just self-serving, annoying and wrapped up in their own vanity. That, capped off with the father making his money out of bloodshed (in a roundabout way) subtly places violence at the centre of this sweet little middle-class fantasy, which is borne out when the brothers turn out to have organised the whole massacre.

Much, much better than I'd thought it would be, and I adored the John Carpenter 80s soundtrack that kicked in towards the end. Usually films stay on the shelf for 2 years because they're poo poo - why wasn't this released sooner?

Mr. Flunchy fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2013 around 14:48

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

I saw a movie with a really similar concept a couple of years ago but I'm totally blanking on the name. It started out like a generic haunting/home invasion movie. Nice family keeps finding creepy/dead poo poo lying around then this priest shows up and asks to crash with them. Turns out he is of course a serial killer and starts offing them one by one. The twist is the daughter is also a killer, she traps him and he pleads and offers to take her around the country with him but she just kills him instead. Not exactly the same, but ballpark.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

What are those things, if you could express them briefly, and how did those two films do them better?
Turning typical horror tropes/cliches on their head. I felt TaD and CitW were much more creative and in-depth about the way they go about it. Cabin had an underground lab with a huge selection of horror movie monsters and a vast network of scientists conspiring to sacrifice five college kids every year to appease a demon. Tucker and Dale had two lower class redneck but harmless bumbling brothers mistaken as serial killers that stupid upper-class college kids overreact to and get themselves killed in idiotic ways. But then this movie is just the protagonist took survival classes in Australia or something and knows how to make intelligent decisions in stressful situations and the killers are afraid of her! I don't think You're Next is a bad movie, I was pleasantly surprised. I like seeing good women protagonists. I just felt it was very plain and don't understand the outstanding praise.

I also don't like horror movies that much.

Name-drop Fellini
Nov 21, 2001

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.

AASman posted:

Turning typical horror tropes/cliches on their head. I felt TaD and CitW were much more creative and in-depth about the way they go about it. Cabin had an underground lab with a huge selection of horror movie monsters and a vast network of scientists conspiring to sacrifice five college kids every year to appease a demon. Tucker and Dale had two lower class redneck but harmless bumbling brothers mistaken as serial killers that stupid upper-class college kids overreact to and get themselves killed in idiotic ways. But then this movie is just the protagonist took survival classes in Australia or something and knows how to make intelligent decisions in stressful situations and the killers are afraid of her! I don't think You're Next is a bad movie, I was pleasantly surprised. I like seeing good women protagonists. I just felt it was very plain and don't understand the outstanding praise.

I also don't like horror movies that much.

I didn't like You're Next (didn't like the jokes and couldn't get past first act issues) but had almost exactly an opposite reaction between this movie and Cabin in the Woods. CITW is a fun watch but it's an absolute disaster thematically because the cliches it tears down hadn't been relevant since before Scream tackled the same ones 15 years earlier, its take on attacking those cliches is just to put the admittedly worn ideas together in a high quantity, and it implicates the audience in causing these cliches by demanding only what they've seen and nothing new. On the other hand, You're Next wasn't a fun watch for me but it was solid thematically because it tackled cliches still in use as recently as The Purge 2 months ago and the proficient protagonist was something actually new to the genre and allowed the movie to find more creative ways for Erin to get into trouble instead of just relying on the same lapses in logic as every other home invasion movie.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I liked You're Next a lot more than Cabin In The Woods, precisely because the plot wasn't a giant blinking This Is A Fresh Take On Horror Genre Conventions sign.

I can understand the complaints about the first act, but I feel like everything with the snobbier brother struck the perfect chord with me and was legitimately funny enough to make up for all of the setup that was going on around it. I might have laughed harder at parts of the first act of this than I did when I saw The World's End afterwards, and I really liked that, too.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Industrial posted:

I saw a movie with a really similar concept a couple of years ago but I'm totally blanking on the name. It started out like a generic haunting/home invasion movie. Nice family keeps finding creepy/dead poo poo lying around then this priest shows up and asks to crash with them. Turns out he is of course a serial killer and starts offing them one by one. The twist is the daughter is also a killer, she traps him and he pleads and offers to take her around the country with him but she just kills him instead. Not exactly the same, but ballpark.

I want to say it was The Bleeding House? I can't really remember it but your description made me it pop into my head.

You're Next was pretty great and this thread's title is very accurate.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

xbilkis posted:

I liked You're Next a lot more than Cabin In The Woods, precisely because the plot wasn't a giant blinking This Is A Fresh Take On Horror Genre Conventions sign.

I can understand the complaints about the first act, but I feel like everything with the snobbier brother struck the perfect chord with me and was legitimately funny enough to make up for all of the setup that was going on around it. I might have laughed harder at parts of the first act of this than I did when I saw The World's End afterwards, and I really liked that, too.
Looks nice, Dad.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Yeah, I had no problem with he first act. I thought it did a good job setting up the characters as real and sligly irritating people and made it so the rest of the movie could flow without needing to stop to explain or setup that much. It's not like the first act is just bad exposition. It's just slightly irritating people that we've all met at some point in life interacting like they would. It's a nice quiet start and a pretty refreshing change of pace from horror opening that flash in giant signs "GOOD PEOPLE THAT ARE ABOUT TO BE TRAUMATIZED!" or "BAD PEOPLE THAT ARE ABOUT TO BE MURDERED!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I loved the first act.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I had no problem with he first act. I thought it did a good job setting up the characters as real and sligly irritating people and made it so the rest of the movie could flow without needing to stop to explain or setup that much. It's not like the first act is just bad exposition. It's just slightly irritating people that we've all met at some point in life interacting like they would. It's a nice quiet start and a pretty refreshing change of pace from horror opening that flash in giant signs "GOOD PEOPLE THAT ARE ABOUT TO BE TRAUMATIZED!" or "BAD PEOPLE THAT ARE ABOUT TO BE MURDERED!"
I didn't care for the acting in the first ten minutes or so. The dad is a particularly wooden actor. But once it gets cooking, man...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I like the first ten minutes just for the mom, she perfectly sets up the appearance of the sister later.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Did anyone else notice the Home Alone reference that appears in the middle of this gruesome home invasion? I'm pretty sure that Marv stepped on broken ornaments when he entered through the window, and the nail was another scene, but it was close enough to make me guffaw.

I also realized something very special about the final death in the movie. Disregarding the scene that opened the movie, the policeman's death gives Erin a higher body count than all of the bad guys combined. There were ten family members (the parents, four children, and each child brought an S.O.), and three masked men, according to the credits. 6 of the family members were killed by Lamb, Tiger, Fox, and Felix, while Erin killed the other 6. Plus, the cop was the only person she killed from afar, echoing the crossbow and piano wire the mercs had killed with. But don't forget the obvious: the cop announcing his presence with a shot fired at the protagonist (prior to even appearing on frame) refers to the ending of Night of the Living Dead, only here the cop was 100% justified in discharging his weapon.

And I was going to warn against mentioning Cabin in the Woods, since that always tends to derail a thread here, but I suppose this movie needs all the attention it can get, going by its performance at the box office. (Mostly because it came out after that vastly inferior home invasion movie featuring silly masks, The Purge.)

Batui fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2013 around 02:30

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012

the fact you all think I made this and I am trying to self promote it to the 1300 people who read this subforum is a indication of the quality of my work

Home alone was very much on everyone's mind while working on this It was fun to read through a lot of your comments. This was very much a little movie that could even with the box office its had so far its a success.

I was the sound designer on the film

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

Jst0rm posted:

Home alone was very much on everyone's mind while working on this It was fun to read through a lot of your comments. This was very much a little movie that could even with the box office its had so far its a success.

I was the sound designer on the film
Hats off, man. Y'all made a great film.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this falls within your realm as sound designer, but during the crossbow barrage, I loved the effect of the characters arguing over each other just loud enough to obscure some of what they were saying, which made the bits and pieces I did catch that much funnier.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2013 around 04:01

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Pretty much this. While I feel like there's an argument to be made for a larger sense of worldbuilding, Gabin in the Woods was really in love with its dated cleverness, and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil mostly had one joke that it dragged out over and over. I think there's something to be said about the subtlety with with You're Next executes its switch-up, since there's no magical moment at which all of a sudden Erin just start clowning on everyone and is invulnerable from here on in. Rather, as she starts being more and more obviously a badass, there's still a slasher movie going on around her, still a lot of threat, and we're still wondering "Okay, so she's a badass, but there are three badasses outside who are these creepy demonic maniacs - is she actually gonna take them down, or is she just gonna put up a valiant fight before everyone dies and YOU'RE NEXT appears on the screen?"

It's not until she gets her first scene as a slasher herself, when everyone but Lamb's run out of the place and left him behind, that we understand exactly how far this is going. And even there's it's just a change in scene construction, the camera acting differently, rather than the surviving villains being like "My God, it's like she's some sort of... SERIAL KILLER from a BAD MOVIE..."

Also can we talk a bit about how hilarious this movie is? So much of the humor boils down to unreasonable people in an unreasonable situation who all think they're acting reasonably, e.g. the pissing contest about running speed that goes on while Drake is under the influence of a crossbow bolt. A lot of horror-comedy goes for goofy camp when it's in its comedy mode, but You're Next takes a much more restrained approach where something weird as gently caress is said or happens, often with a bit of a straight man response to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012

the fact you all think I made this and I am trying to self promote it to the 1300 people who read this subforum is a indication of the quality of my work

A lot of that dialogue was not written in the script. They just all got together and did it improve. If I recall correctly during that scene there was a lot of overlap on the mics but the intended effect was what you heard and it was recorded on set to be that. It's actually really ballsy to do that on the set as its near impossible to unravel later on and would require adr and nobody likes adr. I work more on the "other sounds" aside from dx (dialog)likecrossbow barrages and the nuance of a bolt hitting a skull and the bodyfall thump. I really loved Amy's character's scream in that scene

«5 »