Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Alereon posted:

What do "real companies" (~1000+ employees) typically set their exchange mailbox quotas to? We use <500MB which seems pretty small for this day and age, especially since employees are directed to archive to their local harddrive.

My previous employer we had 250MB mailboxes for ~12,000 employees. Customer sites (1000+ users) I've seen anywhere from 1 gig to no limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Alereon posted:

What do "real companies" (~1000+ employees) typically set their exchange mailbox quotas to? We use <500MB which seems pretty small for this day and age, especially since employees are directed to archive to their local harddrive.

The company that owns our hospital default mailbox size is 10MB. If you need anything bigger, you have to get approval. Managers generally default is 50MB but can go as high as 200MB. Director and higher I think also defaults to 50MB, but I think they can go as high as 300MB. That seems to be the absolute maximum. Even the Hospital CEO is capped at 300MB. As you can imagine, these users have many huge PST's.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

psydude posted:

Only one day left at this job! :toot:

Will you be able to post while in afghanistan? Do the IT guys get guns?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
I'd be afraid of what would happen to the printers if the IT guys got guns.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ganon posted:

Will you be able to post while in afghanistan? Do the IT guys get guns?

Yeah. I'm actually going as a construction manager instead of an IT guy, so I'll have guns.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Walter_Sobchak posted:

I'd be afraid of what would happen to the printers if the IT guys got guns.

I'd love would happen to the printers if the IT guys got guns. :unsmigghh:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just putting thoughts together right now but I want some additional input for the OP updates.

What do you guys look for in an ideal candidate in <name position>?

My post earlier in this thread goes into some of this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418754495&forumid=22

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

:psyduck: wow no idea how I missed that

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Taking a VCAP in Richmond on the 20th of Sept, any goons wanna hang out afterwards? I know I will go for a beer after that.

poo poo meant to hit edit

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

We archive all mail and auto prune anything older than 730 days. There are no space quotas, since our business runs on paper, and therefore scanned images.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Physical computer repair ain't got poo poo on databases and networks and whatnot, but has anybody heard of a BIOS that 1) won't boot from flash drives, 2) Blue screens on start-up because of ACPI non-compatibility, and 3) has no fixes on the innernet whatsoever?

I basically threw the book at this drat thing today, even tried tossing a linux distro on a DVD and tried making a DOS bootable CD that way and nothing works. gently caress BIOSes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's an abundance of computers with BIOS having no USB flash support. There's even Dell servers that can only load from USB flash from lights-out management, WTF is up with that?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Possible YOTJ? Got an interview next Tuesday. :toot:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Are there any good case study "here's what we're doing" type websites? I can read books all day long but I'm curious what people are actually doing. Like company X saying oh we went with this backup solution for this reason, another went with another for this reason, so and so chose this SAN, etc? Looking to put a little real world perspective on this theory.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Are there any good case study "here's what we're doing" type websites? I can read books all day long but I'm curious what people are actually doing. Like company X saying oh we went with this backup solution for this reason, another went with another for this reason, so and so chose this SAN, etc? Looking to put a little real world perspective on this theory.

The term you're looking for is "Whitepaper". They're generally vendor-published, as in "Customer Y switched from A to B because $reasons, here's a breakdown of savings and performance comparisons", but startups are constantly tooting their own horn about this on HackerNews, too. You just have take the "we run our business on Haskell and alpha Javascript frameworks" people with a grain of salt.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Nah I was deliberately avoiding whitepapers because those have been through an editing process (ie, EMC's not publishing any whitepapers that don't make them looking amazing). I'm looking for more of straight from the horse's mouth. HackerNews might be a great resource, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Nah I was deliberately avoiding whitepapers because those have been through an editing process (ie, EMC's not publishing any whitepapers that don't make them looking amazing). I'm looking for more of straight from the horse's mouth. HackerNews might be a great resource, though.

Yeah the first thing that comes to mind is company blogs. As evol says a lot of what's out there tends to come from the (web) startup space and may or may not be applicable to you. Some to start with might include Highscalability.com, Netflix's Tech Blog and Etsy's Code as Craft.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Anyone have any tips for dealing with chronic interrupters during teleconferences?

e: other than :fuckoff:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with chronic interrupters during teleconferences?

Thank them for getting you off a dumb conference call?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Chinese style, just keep talking.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You have to be a bit of a dick, but a "Hey lets stay on track and save all questions until the end, or lets let Jane finish the presentation before we ask questions" usually gets the point across. Other than that, if you're the moderator mute their line from the bridge lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Might be a YOTJ for me! One of our SysAdmins retired and the entire department basically is pulling for me to get it. I've got everything crossed that's possible to cross.

Moving from Helpdesk to SysAdmin would be... No words, just wonderful.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
I'm hopefully :yotj:-ing within the next few weeks. After being unemployed from a network consulting job for a year and a half, and under a non-compete agreement with details I dare understand, I've got two interviews on the same day with two different datacenters in the area.

Both positions are for a network engineer within their datacenters. As far as I understand, I'd be managing the local network for clients, and effectively removed from the helpdesk/operations support side of things. Question is, what does that entail? Have any goons worked that type of position at any datacenters? I've been looking for more detail on that type of position but I'm not having any luck.

Best as I can understand, I'd be troubleshooting routing/switching issues, both interior and exterior, and managing the backbone for VM clusters within the :yayclod:. Outside of that, I can only assume itll be a lot of documentation.

Anyone have any advice? What's life like in a datacenter?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Back of the Bus posted:

I'm hopefully :yotj:-ing within the next few weeks. After being unemployed from a network consulting job for a year and a half, and under a non-compete agreement with details I dare understand

Non-competes are largely unenforceable. Double check with a lawyer, but for the most part they're completely ignorable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Only time a non-compete will come into play is if you try to do business with your former company's clients in the same capacity as before.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Non-competes are largely unenforceable. Double check with a lawyer, but for the most part they're completely ignorable.

psydude posted:

Only time a non-compete will come into play is if you try to do business with your former company's clients in the same capacity as before.

Thanks for the tips, but the contract is expired now. I'd still like to know more about working in a datacenter, though!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Back of the Bus posted:

Thanks for the tips, but the contract is expired now. I'd still like to know more about working in a datacenter, though!

I was a DC technician for a few years. What I remember most is the noise. Hundreds of fans, all humming, all whirring, the noise that gets into your ears and your brain and just never stops my God THE FAAAANNNNSSS...

Seriously, though, if you're going to spend a lot of time on a DC floor with a sizable number of devices, invest in a good set of earbud headphones or some earplugs. Your ears will thank you.

If you end up being the layer 1 monkey and running cables, please, please, PLEASE, label your poo poo. Both ends. Consistently. When I worked in a DC, the number one bane of my existence was unlabeled cable or fiber runs. I once had to help an admin trace a fiber run through multiple patch panels, by using a goddamn flashlight. Don't be that guy who I wished death upon; label your runs.

Do you chill easily? Bring a jacket, even in the summer. The cold aisles get loving cold. This has the added effect of confusing the hell out of people as you walk to work in an Arizona summer with a jacket over one arm. :v:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yes always have a jacket. I spent one 15 hour day trying to fix a couple IBM Power 750's with no HMC or KVM, which meant I was sitting in front of them with a keyboard and screen. Having cold wind constantly blowing on you owns because you're shivering and getting sick in addition to the normal stress of something important being broken. :rip:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My desk at my last job was in a datacenter. It was actually colder in the summer because the chillers in the server room were buffered by the AC running in the rest of the building.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Thankfully, I prefer being cold to being hot. There is nothing worse than having to mount some old-rear end 3500XL-48 under a desk in a 3'h x 1'w x 4'd opening that you've wedged yourself into with a drill and a handful of Cat5 runs in 95 degree heat. Don't even get me started on the dustbunnies in there. The drat things were the size of cats, silently laughing at me.

I'll take an :iceburn: in the cold row every day over that poo poo.

Either way, as far as network operations go, what would a typical day be like? Coming from the consulting side, everything I did was break/fix and "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION" -type things. Sometimes I could setup a test lab or two to figure out a problem, but that opportunity was on the far side.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I recommend buying a coat rack and then keeping an eye out at goodwill for big bulky ugly coats.

Bulky enough to be warm, ugly so they stay in the server room.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I work in on-site help desk. I love it so far but the on call aspect is a pain in the rear end. Luckily my team is decently sized so it's only one week a month.

Is there any career path in IT that would allow a more work to live lifestyle or should I jump ship? Networking seems up my alley skill-wise but has hellacious hours and on call. My network team is constantly getting heartbeat pages day and night and there's always something somewhere breaking.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you don't want to be on-call, IT may not be for you. Most IT positions require some sort of on-call responsibilities.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Is there any career path in IT that would allow a more work to live lifestyle or should I jump ship?
In general, the higher up you go, the more out of hours demands you will have to deal with. Some environments handle this way better, others less well. Each person on my team is on call once every 9 weeks, but that's just due to size. Even when I am not on call, I occasionally get escalations from the helpdesk when they are on call.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

Jedi425 posted:

If you end up being the layer 1 monkey and running cables, please, please, PLEASE, label your poo poo. Both ends. Consistently. When I worked in a DC, the number one bane of my existence was unlabeled cable or fiber runs. I once had to help an admin trace a fiber run through multiple patch panels, by using a goddamn flashlight. Don't be that guy who I wished death upon; label your runs.
Outsource that job. It's one of the easiest things to make a business case for. There are firms that have security clearances and charge HelpDesk wages to do cable drops. Its one of the few things that outsourcing makes sense for since its going to a local firm from your city anyways.

Italy's Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 2, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Gah I didn't even get to work on the OP at all this studying for this beta certification exam has me tied up...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Gah I didn't even get to work on the OP at all this studying for this beta certification exam has me tied up...

It's Labor Day dude. Go do something not computer related. Have a drink, grill a steak, go to a state park and take a walk. Jesus dude. I'm driving back from the beach and haven't checked my email since Wednesday.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

If you don't want to be on-call, IT may not be for you. Most IT positions require some sort of on-call responsibilities.

It's Important to note that if you're on call you should be compensated for it. Don't be a doormat.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

adorai posted:

In general, the higher up you go, the more out of hours demands you will have to deal with. Some environments handle this way better, others less well. Each person on my team is on call once every 9 weeks, but that's just due to size. Even when I am not on call, I occasionally get escalations from the helpdesk when they are on call.

To avoid the above, find a company that separates engineering and operations. Operations (sysadmins) should get all calls unless things are OMG CATASTROPHIC in which case engineering should get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

It's Labor Day dude. Go do something not computer related. Have a drink, grill a steak, go to a state park and take a walk. Jesus dude. I'm driving back from the beach and haven't checked my email since Wednesday.

Eh, trying actually to focus more on computer related stuff. I feel I am getting a bit too comfortable/lazy with what I know currently. But eh, I see your point.

Also pretty much trying to cut out all drinking, but we'll see how that goes. Still on my drink one night a week habit I have been on since I was 21.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2013

• Locked thread