Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Anyone up for a 4-pack for this game? I'm looking to buy 2 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've yet to actually play this online, how well does it play? If a player dies mid map does he respawn if someone else makes it to the end?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

DeathSandwich posted:

I've yet to actually play this online, how well does it play? If a player dies mid map does he respawn if someone else makes it to the end?

Quite well, and yes.

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.

Mayheim posted:

I'd be down.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

That just seems like the antithesis of how this game plays - where you have to be able to deal with ENORMOUS piles of enemies at any point beyond the second level.

It's not nearly as bad as the Miner who just has to straight up melee them.

Mayheim posted:

I'd be up for it.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I'd be up for it.

Gothmog posted:

I'd be down.

Can one of you buy it at USD price?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Managed to get a win with the Commando about 10 deaths in. I got 4x ATG launchers early on, helped a lot. In the second stage I think I had three of them. I'd kill a pack of dudes, and half of the next group would be killed off screen by missle spam. I was lucky and had two easy Imp shrines right next to each other on the first level. On the previous attempt, I died in level 5 or whatever the temple is. I was tanky, but I didn't have enough damage. I had early Leeching Seeds and several Tough Times. I just couldn't kill poo poo fast enough. On the winning run I was making GBS threads out damage.

My strategy was to move along the first level and try to hit most of the chests before activating the teleporter, then use the money from the boss fight / final wave to hit up the shrines. I moved through the second level at a slightly faster pace, but man did I milk out the last few stages before the final level. Difficulty had gone to insane at that point so the game kept throwing bosses at me, and I kept mowing them down and getting items. I went back and redid the first stage and holy CRAP. Tons of bosses. When I activated the teleporter I got hit with two magma worms and an overloading magma worm. Wrecked them, moved to the final level - explored the whole thing, killed tons of imp and scavenger bosses, and wrecked the final boss without getting hurt much at all.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 11, 2013

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Also as far as items go:

War Banner is great. It stays great even past the 60m mark. You'll still get a level every stage pretty much - positioned well it'll save your rear end. Lots of attack speed.

Soldier's Syringe: Speaking of attack speed - the commando can get tons of procs so crank that attack speed way up!

Unstable Watch: The only active item I use. Seems to be mad broken

Golden Gun and Smart Shopper: Great if you want to be permanently ballin' and get a ton of damage at the same time

Leeching Seed: It gives a flat life leech, so it synergizes with attack speed.

Infusion: Holy crap get this. I had 4k life when I finished my playthough because of this fucker

Smart Shopper: It's worth mentioning this twice - I was swimming in cash with this pickup. It let me grab every drone I saw which really helped my damage output until I had so many damage items it didn't matter anymore.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I feel like the Enforcer needs a buff, and by that I mean he's complete garbage compared to the other classes. He has no escape, and his button that replaces where other characters have escaped is actively useless and usually hurts you if you use it.

To be fair, me and my group of friends have only beat the game a few times now, so maybe we're missing what makes the enforcer super awesome, but he just seems bad.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

goldjas posted:

I feel like the Enforcer needs a buff, and by that I mean he's complete garbage compared to the other classes. He has no escape, and his button that replaces where other characters have escaped is actively useless and usually hurts you if you use it.

To be fair, me and my group of friends have only beat the game a few times now, so maybe we're missing what makes the enforcer super awesome, but he just seems bad.

My first actual clear was with my friend who was running Enforcer. Being able to hole up behind the shield and just wait out waves while ignoring projectile spam is incredibly useful.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This game is much more difficult it seems than the beta, I like it a lot though. You guys should hop on the Steam group chat so we can play together.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

goldjas posted:

Back up against a wall, drop his shield, and just sit on the shotgun button. As long as there are no noclip enemies like jellyfish (or occasionally point-blank stuff can hit you from behind) you're invincible.

To you goons that have beaten the game - are you rushing for teleporters or are you taking your time and grabbing all the items? I usually seem to burn out around the 4th stage either way: if I rush, my damage output is too weak when things start to turn on, but if I take my time monster health and spawns usually outpace my items anyway. Is it just about getting lucky with item drops, or, (more likely) am I just garbage at this game?

At any rate this game is fun as hell and has been the only thing able to pull me away from SR4

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Personally I've had much more success with the Enforcer than with the Commando. I think they just suit my playstyle better than the Commando does. I unlocked the Bandit just the other day but I haven't tried that one yet. And I am still quite a long way from actually beating the game just yet...

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
You should be fighting as much as possible imo. Levels seems to make a pretty big impact on damage. Taking time to walk to far away chests or shrines after beating the boss / wave seems far more detrimental than taking too long to activate the TP in the first place. Always be killing.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Acrid is loving strong with that spreading plague. He is now my first clear and maybe favorite character

Onion Knight posted:

Back up against a wall, drop his shield, and just sit on the shotgun button. As long as there are no noclip enemies like jellyfish (or occasionally point-blank stuff can hit you from behind) you're invincible.

To you goons that have beaten the game - are you rushing for teleporters or are you taking your time and grabbing all the items? I usually seem to burn out around the 4th stage either way: if I rush, my damage output is too weak when things start to turn on, but if I take my time monster health and spawns usually outpace my items anyway. Is it just about getting lucky with item drops, or, (more likely) am I just garbage at this game?

At any rate this game is fun as hell and has been the only thing able to pull me away from SR4

I do half and half. When I'm solo I try not to spend more than 5 minutes on a level.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mayheim posted:

Can one of you buy it at USD price?

I can, but it'll be tomorrow.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Just finished a game with Franco and two other goons. I was the first character you get. We managed to get to the end, and maybe ten minutes into the last map everyone else died.

Running at a meager 4-5 fps, I managed to live long enough to get to the cannon, and somehow survived spamming his dodge/roll ability get to the boss battle with about 400hp. Once the boss battle started all the other monsters disappeared so I got my framerate back thank god.

Most intense 20 minute boss fight I've had in a long time, and somehow managed to beat it. Reading the chat was amusing during, "not even two black snakes can stop gay satan"

Glad I didn't let you guys down. But holy poo poo. Game is the poo poo, buy it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really want to like enforcer but I've yet to figure out how to kill the loot imps with one. He just moves too drat slow to catch them.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Where the hell do you find Acrid? I've beaten the game 7 times now, fully exploring the ship, and I still havent found him :smith:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is this game like Teleglitch or FTL where it has RL elements but is kind of shallow and you just end up sort of grinding and doing really simplistic gameplay over and over or is there some degree of depth to it?
I thought Rogue Legacy was terribly boring for example.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

JebanyPedal posted:

Is this game like Teleglitch or FTL where it has RL elements but is kind of shallow and you just end up sort of grinding and doing really simplistic gameplay over and over or is there some degree of depth to it?

Have you ever played Awesomenauts? The classes have that sort of diversity, not just "swing your sword with different stats" like on rogue legacy.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

No. This game actually punishes this sort of behavior by getting progressively more difficult as time goes by, so you can't just sit around and grind levels because the monsters will quickly outclass you. Also the only between-game progression is character and item unlocks, the latter of which you still need to find and buy in the world every game.

Basically it's really super good.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

automaticswim posted:

Just finished a game with Franco and two other goons. I was the first character you get. We managed to get to the end, and maybe ten minutes into the last map everyone else died.

Running at a meager 4-5 fps, I managed to live long enough to get to the cannon, and somehow survived spamming his dodge/roll ability get to the boss battle with about 400hp. Once the boss battle started all the other monsters disappeared so I got my framerate back thank god.

Most intense 20 minute boss fight I've had in a long time, and somehow managed to beat it. Reading the chat was amusing during, "not even two black snakes can stop gay satan"

Glad I didn't let you guys down. But holy poo poo. Game is the poo poo, buy it.

I was in the game as Lokus! It was a hell of a nailbiter, I didn't even mind that I was dead. There was one point that really showed the weakness of engineer though, he barely has any attacks that fire on the run and he's slower than average to boot. I had a gigantic horde of monsters on my rear end and pretty much all I could do was drop mines. My basic attack only fires forward, the third attack has a long casting time where you can't move (but you can jump for some reason) and the ultimate has a long cooldown. I just had to keep running and jumping and dropping a mine every now and then. I haven't tried him in solo play so we'll see how that goes.

I also unlocked the huntress and sniper in that run. The sniper seems like garbage because you need to reload after every attack. It's an active reload like Gears of War with extra damage for hitting the sweet spot but he's very slow and his ultimate seems practically worthless except for bosses. I found it really difficult to get enough lead time to use his charge-up attack and that was even before I got to the teleporting enemies. The huntress is basically the opposite. All of her abilities can be fired on the move and she even fires backwards while running! Seems like she has decent aoe but the lack of penetrating attacks may hurt her for teleporter defenses.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Just wrapped up a ~90 minute game with Split from steamgroup chat - he was playing Huntress and I was rolling Acrid.

What a mess - we didn't get particularly good drops through the first loop, so we went back again, and then AGAIN to try and make some progress. We were rolling well into the stage of the game where bosses are spawning left and right, and were doing ok up until we hit the Caves and ended up with something like 6 various types of Snakes diving out at all possible angles at all times. It was utter chaos at pretty much all times and with both of us having Will o' Wisps & Time Stops, we got to a point where Glaive + Epidemic would just murder huge stacks of enemies - we'd hit the TP almost immediately and end levels with more gold than we could spend.

This is such a great game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugh, died waiting for the door to open on the final level. Really wasn't expecting to get much farther when I dicked around for 10 minutes picking up loot on the third level but I guess having a fuckton of attack drones makes all the difference (I had 8+ of various kinds)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Whats the best way to play this with people anyways? It's hard to deal with really avaricious friends who can't stick together or let anyone else get drops :suicide:.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

dis astranagant posted:

Ugh, died waiting for the door to open on the final level. Really wasn't expecting to get much farther when I dicked around for 10 minutes picking up loot on the third level but I guess having a fuckton of attack drones makes all the difference (I had 8+ of various kinds)

All of my best games have been in part because of copious amounts of drones. They are so useful once you get a bunch.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

Whats the best way to play this with people anyways? It's hard to deal with really avaricious friends who can't stick together or let anyone else get drops :suicide:.

On mumble we try to just say how much money we have in each level and make sure people stay close together, leaves more or less equal item amounts with everyone. Shrines can mess this up a good deal, but they're grabbed last anyways.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, my first win was largely having 8 Attack drones on Commando, a few missile drones, 4 AtG Mk.1's, and the Broken Watch. The screen was 90% bullets and missiles and my god this game is so good.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Even when things go right you constantly have a swarm of assholes close on your heels. Run speed in this game is deliberately low giving you the feel of being hunted the whole time.

First run ever and the third level is a water cave. Goddamn is that a bitch. Not only was I probably underpowered due to poor play, I could only traverse part of the map and it didn't contain the teleporter. It felt like I was missing the jump height required to actually fully explore.

I probably missed something obvious like a rope/ladder whatever.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Huntress was my favourite character in the beta and I don't feel like grinding out 15 monster logs, anyone know what I have to edit in save.ini to unlock her?

I thought it was achievement33=2 and achievement_progress33=15 but that isn't working, maybe I need to get a monster log and die/win to trigger it?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The Gorp posted:

My game is locked between 24-26 fps for whatever reason making the game far easier than it should be.
My computer can run DoTA 2 at 60fps on max settings but it cant make this 100mb game go past 27. I have uninstalled and turned off all other applications to speed it up but it just doesn't want to work. Anybody else having this problem?

Same here. Are you using a laptop with switchable graphics by any chance?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game is incredibly fun. I am really satisfied with my four pack purchase. The game definitely has some issues, like some things being a pain to unlock, but I definitely did not expect to be playing this ten dollar game all day for three days in a row.

On my last run, I didn't get teleported into the final boss room when my friend went in. I got to help out anyway.

Mercenary is incredible with the right items. By that I mean all of the items.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
My main complaint is that I wish you could drop items after picking them up to share with friends. Something simple like right clicking them to drop would go a long way towards making it easier to ration them out. I did a run earlier with three friends and myself all as bandits. The third stage on the snow bridge was amazing just how fast we could murder everything :allears:. Of course it goes pear-shaped as soon as someone runs off on their own though.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I've beaten the game with Commando, Bandit, Han D, Acrid, and Mercenary so far. I am really surprised at how effective the melee classes are, especially once you start jumping and attacking non-stop to keep forward momentum when attacking.

I think I'll try for Monsoon difficulty soon, but I'm not sure who as (Merc or Commando I'm guessing).

I wish unlocking Miner wasn't the worst :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Studio posted:

I wish unlocking Miner wasn't the worst :(

To unlock him don't you need to have 10 jetpacks or 1 of the better jetpacks and get to him in the lava stage?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tracula posted:

To unlock him don't you need to have 10 jetpacks or 1 of the better jetpacks and get to him in the lava stage?

No, there is a rock shrine in the bottom left hand side of the map, keep using the shrine until he pops out of it. The shrine is super expensive though. By the time I got to the level, it cost like 1000 gold to try it the second time when everything else cost sub 200 gold. I wasn't able to stick around long enough to farm the gold to try it again.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This game is kicking my rear end goddamn. Got bandit, enforcer and Acrid unlocked and I am terrible with all of them.

Acrid is pretty cool but I get destroyed in stage 4 just about every single time. The damage just starts poring in and he can barely take it at this point.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone else have the issue where there's no sound? I'm on Win 7. And it's not a problem with the mixer or my PC.
I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Reinstalling C++, restaring steam and my PC but theere's still no sound. I noticed just now when it was starting it up it generated an error which looked like this, http://pastebin.com/LeBxFEnN

Is there anything that can be done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does anyone else have the issue where there's no sound? I'm on Win 7. And it's not a problem with the mixer or my PC.
I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Reinstalling C++, restaring steam and my PC but theere's still no sound. I noticed just now when it was starting it up it generated an error which looked like this, http://pastebin.com/LeBxFEnN

Is there anything that can be done?

There are FOUR different Redists you should let repair themselves. I was having sound troubles until I ran all 4 of them, let them repair/reinstall themselves(without uninstalling first) and only after that did I reboot my PC.

• Locked thread