Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anatharon posted:

The biggest problem is enemies that come at weird angles like vagrants. I have no idea how to beat Wandering Vagrant with the miner.

If it isn't a shock one you can just sit inside it between volleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
It really feels like you need tons of Drone support or you just do too little damage against the enemies when they get stronger.

That or I'm supposed to blitz the teleporters?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Dizz posted:

It really feels like you need tons of Drone support or you just do too little damage against the enemies when they get stronger.

That or I'm supposed to blitz the teleporters?

Items help enormously as well, so long as they're the right items. Guaranteed additional damage like the missile launchers or ceremonial dagger are invaluable. If you end up with nothing but healing poo poo, you might be durable but you won't be able to kill anything on your own either.

Meanwhile, PORT FORWARDING FOR DUMMIES - since the playerbase appears to be 95% "WHO CAN HOST?"

Port Forwarding is a very simple, non-scary process:

1. Get to your modem/router(s) configuration interface. This will tend to be on your local 192.168 subnet - my Linksys router, for instance, uses 192.168.1.1 - just enter that IP into your browser and you should get a login page.
1a. The idiot-proof way to cheat on this on Windows 7(and probably 8) is to open your Network and Sharing Center control panel, click on 'See Full Map' at the upper right, then click on your router between your computer and the internet on the map. Or mouseover it to see its IP.

2. Login to the administration stuff

3. Find the Port Forwarding Controls - you can probably find guides and screenshots for your router at https://www.portforward.com - for Risk of Rain it is usually best to just forward the default 11100

4. The only catch about Port Forwarding tends to be that you need to know *your* computer's IP address to enter as the address to which the ports are forwarded. You can find this at the same Network Map as above, or by running 'ipconfig' from the command prompt and looking for the IPv4 Address for your main network adapter.

5. Save the forwarding settings - some Routers will reboot at this point and temporarily disconnect you.

All of this takes less than five minutes and will save you the 20 minutes of hanging out in Steam Chat begging for someone else to do it. If you run behind a complicated network with multiple routers, I really can't say - but you'll probably need to progressively forward the port for each router.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I don't even use drones, Mercenary everyday :smugdog:

Once you start maximizing damage drones are nice but not hugely important. If you're playing in the face of a lot of enemies and abusing the fact that you can't get hit just by direct contact, drones end up getting massacred more often than not. Melees shouldn't highly value drones since they die so easily, and a lot of ranged dudes can use drones, but have issues getting swarmed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey there. I just got gifted this game, and I was trying to join a goon host, but I couldn't stop getting an "Error: Failed to connect" message whenever I tried.

I just did the port forwarding tutorial just before my post, and still no dice. I'm from Argentina, they are from Canada; any idea what could it be? I was using a VPN before booting up the game to play Xcom: EW, but nothing else. I'm really, really terrible when it comes to PC stuff, so I'll apologize in advance if there's an obvious thing I'm missing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The enemy log and monster log are neat. I wonder if the fact that the stuff mentioned so far is non-hostile to other stuff according to the log means something.

I really like the game and would definetly pay another :10bux: for more content once I finish it up. Game's great so far.

Azran posted:

Hey there. I just got gifted this game, and I was trying to join a goon host, but I couldn't stop getting an "Error: Failed to connect" message whenever I tried.

I just did the port forwarding tutorial just before my post, and still no dice. I'm from Argentina, they are from Canada; any idea what could it be? I was using a VPN before booting up the game to play Xcom: EW, but nothing else. I'm really, really terrible when it comes to PC stuff, so I'll apologize in advance if there's an obvious thing I'm missing.

We had fun without you but my comsci major brother was of no use. :canada:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Anatharon posted:

The enemy log and monster log are neat. I wonder if the fact that the stuff mentioned so far is non-hostile to other stuff according to the log means something.

I really like the game and would definetly pay another :10bux: for more content once I finish it up. Game's great so far.

We had fun without you but my comsci major brother was of no use. :canada:

To clarify: PLAYERS do not need to forward ports, HOSTS do. It sounds like whoever was hosting did not have their ports forwarded correctly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Anatharon posted:

How would people respond if an alien were to crash in their backyard? The idea is probably similar.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I think this game needs a difficulty higher then Monsoon, me and my friends are now good enough and have enough poo poo unlocked that normal mode is yawn-worthy and Monsoon is generally not that hard either unless we just get dicked over by the RNG really bad.

Either that or a way to play past level 6, it'd be nice to actually make some use of all those items when your god-mode powerful besides stomping a really easy final boss (who is generally easier then the huge clumps of regular enemies that spawn in the final level).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goldjas posted:

Either that or a way to play past level 6, it'd be nice to actually make some use of all those items when your god-mode powerful besides stomping a really easy final boss (who is generally easier then the huge clumps of regular enemies that spawn in the final level).
Revisit old stages? After a certain amount of them, the game pretty much only spawns bosses.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

How I fixed my connection issues w/o port forwarding.

Because when I first tried hosting, I DMZ'd my freakin' router and still couldn't get an open port. Turns out the thing at fault was Windows Firewall being unable to default to proper rules regarding the executable. I had to apply an advanced incoming and outgoing ruleset to ensure the game had access across everything possible. After that, my connection errors (as host) ceased to be!

Also, gently caress any round where half the items I find are "use" items or stages end up with 2-3 items only.

picklefish
Aug 7, 2013

DaveKap posted:

How I fixed my connection issues w/o port forwarding.

Because when I first tried hosting, I DMZ'd my freakin' router and still couldn't get an open port. Turns out the thing at fault was Windows Firewall being unable to default to proper rules regarding the executable. I had to apply an advanced incoming and outgoing ruleset to ensure the game had access across everything possible. After that, my connection errors (as host) ceased to be!

Also, gently caress any round where half the items I find are "use" items or stages end up with 2-3 items only.

I had same issue. After setting port forwarding on my router it didn't work. Because the installer doesn't add a windows firewall exception.

To add a rule for RoR go to Windows Firewall from start menu/search.
Go to the "Inbound Rules" tab.
Hit "New Rule" on the right side of the window.
Select PROGRAM button option.
Select the program path option and then select the risk of rain.exe in your steam\steamapps\common\risk of rain\ folder. Something like this: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Risk of Rain\Risk of Rain.exe"
Save the rule or whatever and exit.
You should be good to go and when you try to host it should now say OPEN when it tests the port.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Engineer is fun as hell. Are his turrets flexible at all or do they need to be placed on the same land level as enemies are in order for them to fire?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No vertical aim but they'll shoot tall enemies from higher ground.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

No vertical aim but they'll shoot tall enemies from higher ground.

Well that sucks. I was hoping to place them in areas where they might not get destroyed easily.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They're pretty sturdy, especially if you stick some mines around them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

goldjas posted:

I think this game needs a difficulty higher then Monsoon, me and my friends are now good enough and have enough poo poo unlocked that normal mode is yawn-worthy and Monsoon is generally not that hard either unless we just get dicked over by the RNG really bad.

But you can do this already? :confused: Take the teleporter in level 5 to revisit old stages instead of going to the last level. It's basically NG+ mode.

How did you play long enough to consistently beat Monsoon without ever trying that function?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just got killed by the final stage of the final boss when he had less than 500 health left. gently caress. FUUUUCK. I LOVE THIS drat GAME. :negative:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Man I had a good Engineer game where I had a good line of drones and other good items [oh this makes my attacks more explosive? HOT DOG!] and I literally vaporize because some boss lobbed explosive pellets from under me in the lava world..

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Huntress really is so good.

Never stop moving, hardly ever get hit. I had my first winning game yesterday as a Huntress with another goon Avis (sorry don't know forum name) and coupled with infusion and the freeze time usable I was almost never getting hit.

It also made the last boss trivial, although without 4 MG drones it would have taken a lot longer.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

What is this so called 'Progress' that the Drizzle Difficulty won't save?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Does it mean it won't save any items you unlock, monster logs, character unlocks?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drizzle counts as "beating the game" for class unlocks, and you can get the classes hidden in levels too.

No monster/item logs or most challenges though.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
So has anyone figured out how to edit a file or something to unlock the bullshit achievements? I'm not interested in blocking for 5 minutes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Klaus Kinski posted:

So has anyone figured out how to edit a file or something to unlock the bullshit achievements? I'm not interested in blocking for 5 minutes.

Hah, this one is pretty easy if you get warbanner. I found a small ledge, inched off it and hit shield on the first level. Blocking 2000 damage + shield for 5 minutes all in one. I hate enforcer so that's probably the last time I'll play him in single player.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQv34cg4Ug Here is a speedrun of Bandit solo, 25:12 (not mine)

I thought I remembered the game originally being endless, is there no endless mode anymore? I like the "Keep going and getting stronger until overwhelmed" type thing too, especially with co-op.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Dana Crysalis posted:

I thought I remembered the game originally being endless, is there no endless mode anymore? I like the "Keep going and getting stronger until overwhelmed" type thing too, especially with co-op.

I've done the "NG+" with a buddy, we basically only had to end it because his computer was lagging too hard. We were both invincible even with bosses spawning like regular mooks.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's going to be an arena mode eventually, it might be endless. He's also going to add in mutators to make the game more difficult/interesting. Both were stretch goals and will be added in a free patch once they're done. I've got my fingers crossed for more classes too!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Made a trade for it through the community hub. I'll join in after selling the cards.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

There's going to be an arena mode eventually, it might be endless. He's also going to add in mutators to make the game more difficult/interesting. Both were stretch goals and will be added in a free patch once they're done. I've got my fingers crossed for more classes too!

For anyone curious about this like I was, here's what the Kickstarter page has to say on it.

"Risk of Rain Kickstarter posted:

$10,000 (REACHED!) - Arena Mode! Fight against incoming waves of randomized monsters, eventually leading to a slew of bosses. Items will be randomly distributed around the arena. Hitting certain rounds of the arena will also allow you to unlock a variety of content!

$15,000 (REACHED)- Game Mutators! By finding hidden mutators inside the game, you will unlock the option to customize the game as you see fit! Enable mutators like:
Double Spawn: While monsters will have 30% less health, they will now spawn twice as frequently.
Monster Affinity: Only one kind of monster can spawn, randomly chosen at the beginning of every level.
Top 1%: Every monster will spawn as an elite with elemental properties.
Shell Shock: Dropping below 50% health replaces all your items with another item from the same tier.
And many, many more!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Just tried a speedrun as Merc. Got some bad luck in level layouts (Cremator spawning far away from the teleporter :( ), and ended up dying going YOLO on the final boss. Was at 24 minutes versus Snakes, probably would have finished at 27/28 or so?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I just grabbed this on Steam after seeing a glowing review on RPS. Glad I still have this logitech 360 controller, since it feels way better with a gamepad than on keyboard.

Since commando is the only character available at the start, I noticed he sometimes shoots in both left/right directions - but I can't seem to reproduce this - is it just a random occurance or am I mashing butans and missing a combo I'm triggering?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Fishstick posted:

I just grabbed this on Steam after seeing a glowing review on RPS. Glad I still have this logitech 360 controller, since it feels way better with a gamepad than on keyboard.

Since commando is the only character available at the start, I noticed he sometimes shoots in both left/right directions - but I can't seem to reproduce this - is it just a random occurance or am I mashing butans and missing a combo I'm triggering?

I think it is his Suppressive Fire skill, if there are enemies on both sides it splits the bullet focus between them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have absolutely no idea how to be good at this game. Sometimes I do really well, sometimes I do really poorly even though I'm playing the exact same way. It's almost like Binding of Isaac in that sometimes the items you pick up can matter more than your own playing skill, which is kind of a bummer because occasionally I'll just get unlucky and end up wanting to start over. It's fun as heck though!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fishstick posted:

His fourth ability shoots in both directions if you have enemies behind the direction you're facing, otherwise it'll only attack forwards.

CJacobs posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to be good at this game. Sometimes I do really well, sometimes I do really poorly even though I'm playing the exact same way. It's almost like Binding of Isaac in that sometimes the items you pick up can matter more than your own playing skill, which is kind of a bummer because occasionally I'll just get unlucky and end up wanting to start over. It's fun as heck though!
Solution: play Huntress, where it doesn't matter the items you pick up as long as you can dodge well :v:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Geokinesis posted:

I think it is his Suppressive Fire skill, if there are enemies on both sides it splits the bullet focus between them.

The White Dragon posted:

His fourth ability shoots in both directions if you have enemies behind the direction you're facing, otherwise it'll only attack forwards.

Thanks, that explains why I only saw it every so often.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I unlocked Enforcer last night in multi but in single player I only have Miner/Commando. :confused:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jeffrey posted:

Hah, this one is pretty easy if you get warbanner. I found a small ledge, inched off it and hit shield on the first level. Blocking 2000 damage + shield for 5 minutes all in one. I hate enforcer so that's probably the last time I'll play him in single player.

Fine, the commando ones then :colbert:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
KoL and I started a NG+, but we got our buttes kicked since the level was already at HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, for those who are wondering, here are the conditions for unlocking new characters that I've compiled since some of them aren't listed on the Unlockables menu (they are listed in the order you will most likely unlock them):

Enforcer: Kill the first zone's three boss types (the Magma Worm, the Vagrant, and the Stone Golem)
Bandit: Activate the teleporter in the third zone and kill all remaining enemies
Huntress: Collect 15 monster logs, which randomly drop from enemies killed in large amounts
Miner: Can be found in the bottom left corner of the Magma Barracks. Sometimes spawns in an area that requires a higher jump power up to reach
Engineer: Purchase 40 drones total over all playtime (repairing drones that have been re-killed by enemies counts)
Sniper: Beat the game.
Acrid: In a locked container in the top right corner of the Sunken Tombs level.
HAN-D: In a locked container in the game's final stage.
Mercenary: Beat the game five times.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 13, 2013

• Locked thread