Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Welcome to the all-purpose Veterans Megathread.
This is a place to talk about how great your last unit was (the one you hated while you were in), how you're going to start running again probably next week, and how much civilian friends suck.

Veterans come in all shapes, sizes, genders, orientations races and creeds. There are combat veterans and non-combat veterans, liars and quiet professionals, fatties and folks in better shape after active duty than ever before.

The term "Veteran" once applied to most American males after WWII. Fast forward to Vietnam and "Veteran" usually meant crazy homeless guys, and the population of smokey stale-beer VFWs and American Legions. Today, this term applies far more inclusively, both because fewer service members see combat (causing most to say "gently caress it" and call everyone a veteran), and the diversity of service members has increased greatly in the last 10 years (again, safer to apply the label universally).

Some of us leave our units, and go on to lives in which our service is only a memory. But the opportunities for veterans are growing thanks to a national desire to help, empower, educate, etc. veterans that are often perceived as under-supported by the US government.

Most veterans today (OIF, OEF, Gulf War, Vietnam, etc.) are finding opportunities for work, education and "extracurriculars" that have never before been so widely and freely available. Mostly non-profits, these organizations are usually founded in the name of helping veterans and/or getting those donations and grant money that (pre-budget crunch) existed in abundance. While money does indeed limit the effectiveness and reach of pretty much everything, it is common to see excess in the form of foundations that exist purely to chase money, marketing, logo-spamming, photo-ops and ridiculous amounts of swag (looking at you, WWP).

But move out of the way, American Legion and VFW. These organizations are ignored by many thanks to flashier, more tangible benefits of investing time and attention with newer groups.
Keep in mind many of these organizations are local. In my own experience you can reach out anywhere and folks across the country will help you find something of interest near you - whether that's a writing group, fishing club or art workshop for veterans. You have to reach and ask, though.

When I left the army last year I avoided anything that reminded me of the military for several months. I ended up volunteering at a veteran community outreach center, and now I work there. A lot of guys I know now, especially the 100% disability ones, have a hard time interacting with the world in general. All of the programs below do great things in their particular field, but the socialization aspect is equally, if not more important.

Education-Focused Organizations

The Entrepreneurship Boot Camp Puts veterans with a disability rating through an intense "Mini-MBA" designed to prepare veterans for starting or running their own business. Its programs run at several universities throughout the country.

Culinary Command is an intense 45-day resident cooking course in the Hudson Valley region of New York state. The course and living accommodations are provided for free. The course prepares veterans for a career in the culinary industry. The only hard part about this opportunity is that you have put your life (and income) on hold for 45 days.

Artistic Organizations

Veterans in the Arts is a Minnesota-based non-profit that offers classes in writing, visual art, music, theatre, woodworking and photography to veterans. They are affiliated with the...

Combat Paper Project, which offers 5-day workshops in which you can recycle your old BDUs/ACUs/cammies/etc. into paper. Combat Paper Project has received some national attention and makes some decent money selling pieces. It's also nonprofit, limited but national.

Veteran Artist Program is an east-coast based non-profit that has programs for veterans in film, visual art, and performance art.

The Vet Art Project is a national nonprofit that offers workshops, stress-reduction and mindfulness classes, theatre, storytelling, poetry, and a lot more. They have exposure on NPR and other major media sources.

Veterans Writing Groups (NYTimes Article) are common in most cities with universities. They are a good way to get into expressive writing, creative nonfiction, and a community atmosphere. Some groups produce their own publications, others are mentored by writing professors that will help you edit a piece into something publishable.

National Journals that publish only military-related pieces (poetry, fiction, nonfiction) are growing. Ron Capps famously wrote a piece about his near-suicide in the Darfur desert as a foreign service officer, years after his ETS. He founded the...

Veterans Writing Project, which provides free writing workshops to veterans.
O-Dark Thirty (yeah, I know) is the literary journal of the Veterans Writing Project.
The Journal of Military Experience is one of the publications that consists solely of veterans' writing (I'll be published shortly in Volume 3).

Physical Activity, Recreation & Disability-Rating Based Organizations

TeamRWB is a nationwide non-profit open to veterans that focuses on group physical activities (runs, ski trips, etc.) and re-connecting with the community through volunteerism.

Project Healing Waters is another national non-profit for veterans with a disability rating that organizes group fly fishing classes and expeditions.

The Wounded Warrior Project is a nonprofit dedicated to ensuring every disabled veteran has a backpack. Experiences may vary - in my neck of the woods, WWP has a bad reputation due to refusing church donations, requiring guaranteed minimum donation amounts of fundraising events in its name, and appearing to prioritize marketing itself over offering anything of substance.
That said, all veteran programs and non-profits will generate some negative buzz, bad experiences, etc. simply due to the demographic they cater to.

Basically ever CrossFit Gym ever offers discounted memberships to veterans.

Service Dogs are increasingly common as a method of helping veterans with severe PTSD re-engage with the outside world.
There are several programs that partner a veteran with a service dog. Some provide fully trained service dogs to a veteran applicant at no charge, others find dogs with a fitting personality at a shelter (evaluated by professional dog trainers) and use an "Owner/trainer" model that requires the veteran to attend sessions, effectively creating their own certified service animal. All service dog programs typically require a diagnosis of PTSD (or physical disability), proof of ongoing treatment/therapy and recommendation by a therapist.
Some programs include Patriot Paws, Veterans Moving Forward, Hero Dogs Inc., and Clear Path for Veterans where I am currently employed.

Lastly, Vet Centers (warning, VA.gov link) are a great low-key place to vent, talk, hang out or get away from all the crazy civilians out there.

There are over 300 Vet Centers in the US. I can't speak for all of them (check first if this matters to you) but most have a one-way relationship with the VA proper. Vet Centers are funded and maintained by the VA, but the VA does not have access to Vet Center records. This means you can see a counselor (all Vet Center services are free to combat-deployed veterans) about anything that may be bothering you, talk about anything you want and not worry about it coming back to you. You may choose to authorize a Vet Center to release some or all of your records to the VA, if for example you decide to seek a diagnosis or other treatment and don't want to "start over". Usually, VA mental health professionals are able meet veterans at their local Vet Center for informal appointments, if you have a "regular" therapist. If not, you can meet with any of the VA professional that rotate shifts at the Vet Center. YMMV depending on location.

Find a Vet Center near you

Keep discussion focused on life as a veteran and relevant topics. Specific questions, issues and rants about VA benefits, education, and employment with the DoD already have their own threads.
Related Threads:
VA Benefits Megathread
Educational Benefits Megathread
"Get Help" Thread
Civilian ThreadContractor Thread

Last but not least

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is considered a resource thread. Rules for resource threads apply.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Here's a question related to VA health care and the incoming Obamacare stuff. Would VA health care be considered medical coverage, so that one doesn't have to pay a fine or whatever the gently caress? I don't want to watch my wife's insurance triple because of me jumping on it and I certainly don't want to pay a loving bullshit fine/tax.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Here's a question related to VA health care and the incoming Obamacare stuff. Would VA health care be considered medical coverage, so that one doesn't have to pay a fine or whatever the gently caress? I don't want to watch my wife's insurance triple because of me jumping on it and I certainly don't want to pay a loving bullshit fine/tax.

I've thought about this too, like when the 5 years is up are you now without healthcare? Does the 5 year period not matter either?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I just got a letter in the mail from the VA stating I am totally covered under the affordable healthcare act. I'll scan the pamphlet when I get home later.

E: Nevermind, just typed the form into google and it found it for me.

http://www.va.gov/health/aca/docs/ACA_FAQ_v11.pdf

TLDR; For all intents and purposes, if you are enrolled with VA healthcare you are exempt from the affordable healthcare act.

Smoke Crack fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 26, 2013

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Smoke Crack posted:

TLDR; For all intents and purposes, if you are enrolled with VA healthcare you are exempt from the affordable healthcare act.

Entirely exempt? What if the comprehensive coverage is expired and you're only receiving coverage for documented disabilities?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Entirely exempt? What if the comprehensive coverage is expired and you're only receiving coverage for documented disabilities?

Depending on your percentage you may be covered entirely for life.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Definitely varies and I've been out more than five years but I never pay for anything more than $8 for each prescription that isn't directly related to my back problems/disability.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Recently moved into a state that has many breed specific legislation. We have a dog that has been tested to have amstaff and german pointer. One thing about her is that people notice the bully traits (square face, tail, body shape). In addition she has very bully breed personally, very protective over her family and very loyal. The apartment we just moved into has BSL and doesn't apply because she's almost a mutt per the DNA testing we want to CYA.

She's gone through dog training, and we are doing more dog training to convert her to an apartment mindset instead of living in a house with a big back yard. Trying to teach her to not bark. Earlier today she was surrounded by a few dogs and she got very scared. She put her tail between her legs and then started barking at them. She didn't bite or hurt the other dogs but the owner of the three dogs started berating my wife "you are a bad person, you pot smoker, bad dog owner.." etc. Now we are both scared that because she looks like a bully and certain parts of Colorado are well known for stealing dogs and euthanize them without owner notification we are going to lose our dog because of bias.

That being said, this is my dog and this is the dog that I was really worried about while deployed. It really saddened me when I saw she was depressed and morose while I was gone. I really don't know what would happen if I lost my dog and so far I've read that you can get them certified as service/ companion animals and bypass this BSL. What type of information do you have for this process. I really don't want to lose my dog.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
Please add this to the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q72goReNPBQ&t=5s

Thanks and goddess bless.

e: Concerned and supportive parties have also asked for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZf619DIpo

to be added as well, perhaps with a notation to play in the background while browsing thread.

You're doing a great job, OP. Keep it up.

v/r

Ghost Bones

ghost bones fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 26, 2013

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Is veterans health care any good? Des it cost a lot of money of money? If I can get affordable care elsewhere (wife's job) should I just go with that?

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Beria posted:

Is veterans health care any good? Des it cost a lot of money of money? If I can get affordable care elsewhere (wife's job) should I just go with that?

No, no, yes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
VA healthcare is good if:

You don't have a real plan

You don't need to visit a doctor regularly

You don't have a lot of money

Otherwise, you should probably use something else.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Thanks Mokey.

E and Vas.

zoop
Sep 11, 2012
I'm trying to file for unemployment online (CA) but they require an address of my last employer (Army). Not really sure what to put down and I can't seem to find any info about it (called the VA a couple of times at the beginning of the week but no one picked up/called back and now it's a holiday weekend). Anyone know what address I should use? My last assignment was an MOS school so I don't think I should be putting that address down. Thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anytime I needed to put an employer address I've always just put the address for the navy dispersing office that comes in on my W2.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zoop posted:

I'm trying to file for unemployment online (CA) but they require an address of my last employer (Army). Not really sure what to put down and I can't seem to find any info about it (called the VA a couple of times at the beginning of the week but no one picked up/called back and now it's a holiday weekend). Anyone know what address I should use? My last assignment was an MOS school so I don't think I should be putting that address down. Thanks.

I've put "200 Stovall St Alexandria VA 22332" for the department of the Army building when asked for that. I might just start putting my old unit's address though, since it'll actually be worth using :v:

poop dollar
Jun 3, 2012
I just filed for unemployment not too long ago and I just used the address off of my w2. For me it was in Indiana but I was Air Force not sure who you guys were routed through.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
DFAS isn't part of any specific service, so that seems dumb to me. You might as well use 1600 Pennsylvania Ave since that's your boss' work address, or whatever the Pentagon's mailing address is.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'd just scrawl in 'ARMY' in crayon :v:

e: or semen for navy

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Helping Hands

I love dogs as much as the next guy, but why get a service dog when you can get a service monkey?

I give these guys money every time that federal employee donation scam rolls around, so they better give me a loving monkey when I finally get out.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Delizin posted:

Helping Hands

I love dogs as much as the next guy, but why get a service dog when you can get a service monkey?

I give these guys money every time that federal employee donation scam rolls around, so they better give me a loving monkey when I finally get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoD7jro1cE

zoop
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like the claim went through.

"You're going to pay me HOW much to look for a job?!" :eyepop:

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

zoop posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like the claim went through.

"You're going to pay me HOW much to look for a job?!" :eyepop:

UI and GI bill combined are wonderful, it's like a miniature retirement.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Chriskory posted:

UI and GI bill combined are wonderful, it's like a miniature retirement.

drat my state for only doing 26 weeks due to low unemployment rate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HClChicken posted:

drat my state for only doing 26 weeks due to low unemployment rate.

Florida is refusing to give me anything because I got severance and will be collecting VA pay.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Doesn't florida drug test for unemployment now anyhow?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I don't know if they do anymore but they did for welfare and wasted millions of dollars on it. Some fascist states, North Carolina I believe being one, won't let you collect unemployment if you're a student.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

No. They started a program to drug test for welfare conveniently contracting the governor's wife's testing company to perform them. Cost the state a shitload of money and is currently suspended pending a number of trials. Never was the case for unemployment.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

gleep gloop posted:

I don't know if they do anymore but they did for welfare and wasted millions of dollars on it. Some fascist states, North Carolina I believe being one, won't let you collect unemployment if you're a student.

Minnesota as well.

Even if I wasn't collecting GIB benefits, what the gently caress? Why yes, paying a huge amount of money and spending a lot of my available hours is very much like having a stable income, thanks, state government

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

NC is weird on this, because I was told both ways by people at the UI office. Either way the current crop of partytards just reduced UI to half of what it was. I think you max out at $300 per week and have to be able to show proof of having applied for a job to get the next week's $$, and have to have "2 contacts with employers" per week on top of that. Also, you can't refuse any job they offer you (because they have a job-hunting service that will try to pair you up with an employer) otherwise you lose all benefits right there, from then on. I kept it up for like a month early this year before I couldn't tread water on it anymore. Obviously if you're in school you can't accept a full-time job, so even if you're bullshitting it it's only a matter of time before you have to turn something down and they shut you out.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

gleep gloop posted:

lump arizona into that group, fuckers

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

lump ohio into that group, fuckers

Fixed :(

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Point for glorious socialist empire of New Jersey.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

S1 NCO on FB posted:

Hey, just wanted to give you a heads up. You're two months out from your ING contract ending. Just need you to know that you gotta set up a date to come in and let us know you're back.

Now, if you wind up going into day 366, and you don't come off ING- it's an automatic discharge. Just to give you some thing to think about. Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one

So, basically the deal is my ETS day was Dec 16 last year, after a six year contract. In January of 2012, I raised my right hand for another six years (for $10k that I never got); however, I left on Nov 20 to be a contractor. I am not going to finish my Civilian contract if I leave Afghanistan before Dec 5th.

What kind of discharge are they talking about? I don't particularly care to stay in, for a lot of reasons. I failed my last PT test, but that's my only negative mark. No articles, no negative councils in the last 3 years.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Can anybody offer insight for applying for/collecting Washington state unemployment while going to school full-time in Florida?

e: currently ad, eaos end of october, start school in january

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you're out of the military you dont get to milk the multi-state thing anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

Can anybody offer insight for applying for/collecting Washington state unemployment while going to school full-time in Florida?

e: currently ad, eaos end of october, start school in january

Yeah, you'll have to get FL unemployment. There are ways to get it while going to school so long as a workforce center certifies that you're working towards a job in a needed field. They will reduce the amount you get or postpone eligibility if you have any kind of separation pay or get monthly VA pay. FL unemployment is poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assume it varies from state to state, but here I had 60 days to switch over my license plates, drivers license, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida it's technically 30 days, but they don't really give a gently caress in Tallahassee because of the school. What school are you going to?

• Locked thread