Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I bought my house in August using the VA home loan. The VA requires the seller to get a pest inspection done on the house before you can buy it. Also, they do have a fee that is involved. Mine was like 2% of the cost. You don't have to pay it up front though, you can add it to your mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Does the VA home loan help folks with bad credit? Or as I like to call it, standard veteran credit?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Obama Africanus posted:

Does the VA home loan help folks with bad credit? Or as I like to call it, standard veteran credit?

You still deal directly with the banks on 99% of everything, so not really. You should be able to get more house than you would otherwise, but if you have veteran'd your credit to the point that banks hang up when you call them, the VA can't help you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It can definitely help. A lot of civilians have to go through other means to cover the down payment, like paying a higher rate in exchange for a lower down payment, or even getting an additional loan for it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I made the mistake of budgeting myself and not buying dumb poo poo for 8 months to make my down payment, like some kind of fiscally responsible human being

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Use your VA loan and throw that money at the principal. I worked with a guy who paid off his house in like 7 years by making an extra payment every month. You can save thousands in interest if you pay big money early in the loan.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I was in the guard for six years, during which I deployed to Iraq for over a year's time. Is VA healthcare available to me and if so, is it free/worth it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Helmholz posted:

I was in the guard for six years, during which I deployed to Iraq for over a year's time. Is VA healthcare available to me and if so, is it free/worth it?

If you deployed to Iraq, you're eligible for free healthcare for five years.

Whether or not it's worth it depends entirely on what VA medical center is near you. I've dealt with two already and it's... uneven.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
i haven't had any dealings with the VA where i live now after my initial experience with the phoenix office totally soured me on the prospect of being treated by the VA. glad i have free non VA healthcare paid for by the GI bill since my school requires students to have healthcare

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
If you have health insurance or access to cheaper doctor visits etc, I wouldn't ever use the VA. Basically if you're able to afford private healthcare, absolutely use it because the VA is one giant red tape headache and just awful to deal with. Obviously get your disability funbux and go to any appointments they absolutely require for that though

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
On ebenefits Does the amount that it shows I'm supposed to get paid on the 1st reflect back pay as well?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Cole posted:

On ebenefits Does the amount that it shows I'm supposed to get paid on the 1st reflect back pay as well?

The amount ebenefits shows is the exact amount that will hit your account.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Man I just realized that post was over a month old.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Nevermind, wrong thread

Spiderjelly fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 15, 2014

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
How does one get to help at the vet suicide hotline? I think I could be good at talking with vets in distress. Surely they need bodies willing to fill those cubicles - and I'm willing to work for nada for this job at least.. anyone have a clear cut guide on becoming a VA suicide hotline team member?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I figure this is probably the place to most likely have someone in my situation, so I'll ask here. I have only been in the AF for a little over four years but I am getting medically retired (as a SSgt without having to go to ALS) due to heart surgery. The AF gave me 60% and the VA gave me 70%, but that is pretty much all I know about this.

My main question is, do I get any retirement pay in addition to the disability pay? I'm not expecting it at all, I would just like to know. Do I have pretty much every benefit of an actual 20 year retiree like Tricare, BX and commissary access, space a travel, etc? Does my wife get Tricare for life, as well? When the hell am I supposed to find this stuff out? My last day before PTDY and terminal leave is 6 Feb and I feel like I still don't know poo poo.

No one seems to know anything and every briefing I go to about retirement they just tell me that they don't deal with whatever questions I happen to have at that time. The best was the mandatory retirement briefing that only went over the survivor benefits plan (which, as I understand it, comes out of your retirement pay) couldn't tell me if I was even going to be getting retirement pay to have a survivor benefit plan attached to, but said I had to make a decision to sign up for it or not before my final out...wtf

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
You don't get any more money than what the disability percentage entitles you to, and its very rare that you can double dip, but you'll always get the higher amount. I believe a retiree ID entitles you to base access and the PX but I would rather get the clap than step foot on a mil post again so I'm not 100% sure.

Cole fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 21, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only reason to go on base is to point and laugh, and hit the Class Six.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah apparently you can get a card to go to the px/ class 6 if you are 50% or more. Anyone know how to get that?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

GoGoGadget posted:

My main question is, do I get any retirement pay in addition to the disability pay? I'm not expecting it at all, I would just like to know. Do I have pretty much every benefit of an actual 20 year retiree like Tricare, BX and commissary access, space a travel, etc? Does my wife get Tricare for life, as well? When the hell am I supposed to find this stuff out? My last day before PTDY and terminal leave is 6 Feb and I feel like I still don't know poo poo.

No one seems to know anything and every briefing I go to about retirement they just tell me that they don't deal with whatever questions I happen to have at that time. The best was the mandatory retirement briefing that only went over the survivor benefits plan (which, as I understand it, comes out of your retirement pay) couldn't tell me if I was even going to be getting retirement pay to have a survivor benefit plan attached to, but said I had to make a decision to sign up for it or not before my final out...wtf

Okay, so there's 2 ways to get paid both. One, is CRDP, which is if you manage to stick out your 20, and you get medically retired, or you retire and put in for va disability, you can get CRDP (both disability and retirement pay). It happens automatically, but unfortunately is not for you in your case.

The other way is CRSC, which is if whatever disability you have was caused in combat, or in training simulating combat, or by an "instrumentality of war". This means that you pick up your disability, and your retirement percentage from the army pro-rated. If memory serves, it goes like this.

military base pay x 60% x 0.75 = $4,000 (for example)

$4,000 / 20 * years of service = CRSC.

If you didn't get your heart problem in any of the above combat or combat like situations, sorry, but you don't get poo poo in that regards.

There are also things like Individual Unemployable (or something like that) where if you have a single disability rated at 60% or more that makes you unable to engage in meaningful work you can get the unemployable rating and get paid at the 100% rate.

Master Bateman posted:

Yeah apparently you can get a card to go to the px/ class 6 if you are 50% or more. Anyone know how to get that?

Should be the blue retiree card.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
just had a back exam done today relating to minor but persistent back pain that's all documented in my service record and whatnot. I still have full range of motion and its really only an issue when doing actual labor. I'm curious whether I just wasted an afternoon at a sports therapy office because my understanding is that back pain is rarely if ever qualified.

Did get to skip class though which was p.nice

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Seems like it can be tough without an MRI showing something (which they almost always do) or x-Ray at least

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

just had a back exam done today relating to minor but persistent back pain that's all documented in my service record and whatnot. I still have full range of motion and its really only an issue when doing actual labor. I'm curious whether I just wasted an afternoon at a sports therapy office because my understanding is that back pain is rarely if ever qualified.

Just "back pain/lumbago/nonallopatic lesions of the lumbar spine" do not. A diagnosed condition like a lumbar strain, degenerative disc disease, intervertebral disc syndrome, etc. would.

If you have it documented in service, just talk to your doc and have them write a letter saying that "dude/dudette has a back condition diagnosed as _______. Upon reviewing his/her history and treatment records, it is my medical opinion that this condition is at least as likely as not the same back condition documented during service. Also, my patient is unable to work in any setting as a result of this condition."

An you don't need an x-ray or MRI per se, but it does help to establish the presence of a current condition. VA is incredibly liberal as long as there is some current documentation. The problem usually comes with the examiners ignoring evidence or thinking everyone is trying to scam the system.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I ended up with 20% disability from my back alone due to 2 of my discs being halfway to gone, and my spine occasionally rubbing on the nerves that run to my feet (which gives random numb spots on the outer edges of my feet). Most days I don't notice, but if I do any kind of lifting (like moving furniture) I sure as hell notice it. It's possible to get a rating for it, but you probably shouldn't expect it to be too terribly high unless it's completely and absolutely debilitating. DAV helped me get my claim through and 20% for my back was (in all likelihood) the best they could do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The shrapnel in my forehead is itching, is this going to turn into anything horrible or should I just leave it alone

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LeoMarr posted:

The shrapnel in my forehead is itching, is this going to turn into anything horrible or should I just leave it alone

I used to know a Korean War vet who had a poo poo ton of shrapnel still in him from a Chinese arty barrage. They were still pulling pieces out right before he died. He usually just went to the VA hospital and they'd pull anything out that came close to the surface with local anesthesia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I used to know a Korean War vet who had a poo poo ton of shrapnel still in him from a Chinese arty barrage. They were still pulling pieces out right before he died. He usually just went to the VA hospital and they'd pull anything out that came close to the surface with local anesthesia.

its ceased to itch, I'm just afraid that it's the same poo poo that gave me a horrrendous leg infection after a year of being out so I may go to the VA and in 6months - 5 years get it removed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LeoMarr posted:

its ceased to itch, I'm just afraid that it's the same poo poo that gave me a horrrendous leg infection after a year of being out so I may go to the VA and in 6months - 5 years get it removed.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I was wondering if there was anything you guys dealt with during TGPS or whatever you call the classes for when youre getting out in your branches. Im mostly lookinf at information for working in California, taking board certification tests and the benefits in between getting out and stabilizing as a civilian. Also what timeframe you guys may have had to wait for GI bill benefits. Dont want to have to take out loans because theyre paying out late.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 13, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

I was wondering if there was anything you guys dealt with during TGPS or whatever you call the classes for when youre getting out in your branches. Im mostly lookinf at information for working in California, taking board certification tests and the benefits in between getting out and stabilizing as a civilian. Also what timeframe you guys may have had to wait for GI bill benefits. Dont want to have to take out loans because theyre paying out late.

I ETSed in Sept 2012 and my GI Bill was already lined up for school starting the next January. No wait for that to turn on at all, though I imagine that there's an application deadline out there somewhere on ebenefits.gov or on some VA website.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm a Marine in the IRR. I'm from Kansas, but go to school in NH. My parents go a letter for me saying I need to go to one day of "training" in Kansas City. I've heard of these, and heard they're good and you get paid, but I can't really afford to leave school for a weekend because my school is ball-crushingly hard. I figured no big deal, I'd contact someone in the orders, and it probably won't be a big deal. I have less than a year on contract so I probably won't get recalled anyways. My mother mailed me the orders about 2 weeks ago, but they still haven't shown up. Will this information be on MOL or anything? I just would like to tell people that I can't be there.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I got a letter saying all my GI Bill stuff for this summer semester is good to go, ect, was just wondering in relation to when school starts (say, June 15th)...when should I be expecting my book stipend? If I read the letter correctly I swear its telling me that is posts the day before the semester in question starts (June 14th)

?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

One of my friends who's a veteran and has been in combat has been asking me for advice regarding depression, and one of his big concerns about past experiences with psychiatrists/psychologists that he doesn't feel that they can really understand what he's been through. Is there a good resource to find local psychiatrists who specialize in helping combat veterans and/or people with PTSD? He's in the southwest CT area.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

GWBBQ posted:

One of my friends who's a veteran and has been in combat has been asking me for advice regarding depression, and one of his big concerns about past experiences with psychiatrists/psychologists that he doesn't feel that they can really understand what he's been through. Is there a good resource to find local psychiatrists who specialize in helping combat veterans and/or people with PTSD? He's in the southwest CT area.

Best bet would probably be a Vet Center. It looks like there are ones in Danbury, Norwich, Orange and Rocky Hill. There might also be more/closer ones.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Delizin posted:

Best bet would probably be a Vet Center. It looks like there are ones in Danbury, Norwich, Orange and Rocky Hill. There might also be more/closer ones.

If this doesn't work out, contact the West Haven VA Hospital

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Why the gently caress would they want me to IRR muster in loving oregon when I live east of Seattle in WA? Seriously. This email from my COLLEGE ACCOUNT softly letting them know that " Hey...thats fuckn far and I aint doing it " will be enough to not have them upset at me.
I keep hearing two different sides. 1.) THEY WILL gently caress YOUR rear end in a top hat FOR NOT SHOWING UP. 2.) They dont loving care. Then the :tinfoil:.) They will recall you and stop loss you if you go! :tinfoil:

I went to the last one and it was good info and a quick two hundo for booze. But driving to OR? You are out of your god drat mind MC IRR.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

MaxPowers posted:

Why the gently caress would they want me to IRR muster in loving oregon when I live east of Seattle in WA? Seriously. This email from my COLLEGE ACCOUNT softly letting them know that " Hey...thats fuckn far and I aint doing it " will be enough to not have them upset at me.
I keep hearing two different sides. 1.) THEY WILL gently caress YOUR rear end in a top hat FOR NOT SHOWING UP. 2.) They dont loving care. Then the :tinfoil:.) They will recall you and stop loss you if you go! :tinfoil:

I went to the last one and it was good info and a quick two hundo for booze. But driving to OR? You are out of your god drat mind MC IRR.

Did you update your address on Marine Online?

I have no idea what will happen if you don't go, but worrying about stop loss is pretty dumb. The letter probably even explicitly says that you're safe from that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Did you update your address on Marine Online?

yeah, im curious if you ever lived in that area, since they usually send you to the closest location

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nothing happens at all. I never showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

MaxPowers posted:

Probably nothing will happen if you don't show, but if you want to be on the safe side call whatever number is on the muster thing and say you're out of state and can't come. Even better, say you're out of the country. I got a muster notice in 2008 while I was in Canada and called the number on the notice and explained to some LT that I was out of the country so I couldn't make it. He said no problem and that was that.

However, I did get IRR recalled a year later so maybe that LT put my name on a list that said "gently caress these no shows, recall immediately". I got snatched up in 2009 when they were apparently hurting for infantry NCOs to fill out natty guard units about to deploy. My recall group even had a marine dude in it and no one could figure out why he was there. The whole IRR thing is one big poo poo show and you never know what could happen.

• Locked thread