Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

blanktester posted:

I don't even... What's even remotely controversial about "talk to the hand?"

The full insult is, "talk to the hand, because the face doesn't care." As a statement taken in a vacuum it is incredibly rude and disrespectful, even if it is not used that way in practice. You are telling whomever you are addressing to talk to an object that literally cannot hear, thus insinuating that their speech is not even worthy of not listening to. The hand is often brought up to face level of the addressed as to indicate that you are about to render them unable to talk by covering their mouth. Body language during this gesture is often exaggeratedly confrontational, as is the tone of voice the line is delivered in.

In a strict "Christian values" household, expressions similar to "talk to the hand" are often seen as directly undermining the respect for the divine chain of authority, from God, to Jesus, to the church, to the husband, then the wife and finally the children. I was not allowed, as an example, to watch The Simpsons when I was younger specifically because Bart showed a flagrant disregard for authority, especially the parental kind.

Or maybe their cousin is just dumb. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

blanktester posted:

I'm familiar with the phrase, it just never seemed as "confrontational" or whatever as you say. I mean, when I was a kid we just said it mostly as a joke. I never got offended by the phrase and I can't remember a single time it was interpreted as anything but largely innocuous.

I can see the thing about christan values though. Speaking of christian values, how about that Miley Cyrus kid?? What ever happened to her, amiritegaiz???

That's the point, it's not actually offensive, but can be interpreted that way by out of touch people. I had to deal with a lot of that poo poo growing up. The whole "talk to the hand" thing was also originally associated with sassy black women as far as I can tell, making it even scarier to concerned white parents.

They had every reason to be concerned. Miley Cyrus is a painful object lesson about the dangers of appropriating "urban" culture!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Next white people craze: lighting yourself on fire while twerking. I'll bring it up at the next Purity Council. Let's do this, people!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So is Miley getting into Dada and absurdist surrealism? I could be ok with that.

• Locked thread