Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Relax. Where you're going, there is no weapon triangle.

Latest Episode: Jasper Batt Jr............(UNCUT)

Suda51's No More Heroes is a comically bloody and gory satire on many different topics, including violent otaku tendencies, video games and plot twists for the sake of plot twists. It was very well received outside of its home country of Japan and is considered a cult classic for the system. Inside of Japan, it wasn't as popular and sales were kinda pathetic. Despite that, it got a sequel based solely on its western sales.

No More Heroes 2 follows up on the satire that its predecessor was known for with cheeky commentary of its own while also refining gameplay to be a whole lot less clunky. The "hero" of the last game, Travis Touchdown, returns and has to climb his way back up to being the #1 assassin again. Naturally, Travis is upset about having to re-climb the ranks, but hey, it means more game for us to enjoy. You can watch his original climb to the top here in my LP of the awful HD remastering. A character says early on that continuity doesn't matter, so you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. Spoilers from the first game will probably be thrown about carelessly however.

On the topic of spoilers, no discussion whatsoever regarding this game. I don't care if you want to discuss the first game or discuss stuff that we've seen, but don't mention anything about this game that I haven't covered. Pre-release material may have spoilers, so take care if discussing any trailers or whatever. This is for the sake of people who haven't played the game yet and don't want to be spoiled. My co-commentator, LaGanj, returning from my LP of the first game, is one such person.

We're going to try something new this time, for us at least, and that is uncut commentary where we talk over cutscenes and the like. If you don't want to watch uncut, then click on the big middle portion of episode banners. Uncut videos will have a small button on the right on each banner and will be labeled as such if there is uncut commentary.

Uploads will be every Monday and Friday assuming that I'm not doing anything important on that day.

I think that about covers everything that needs to be said, so let's get the ball rolling!

Table of Contents

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at Mar 24, 2014 around 14:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RESERVED

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It was kind of a cool idea to let us revisit the first game's trailer fight in playable form. No uncut commentary for this one, this was recorded before we decided to do that.

Skelter Helter official art:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2013 around 19:04

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I love how the Skelter Helter fight is exactly what was shown in the first trailer for No More Heroes, as well as its intro cinematic. Although that was when it used a similar shading style to Killer7.

Killer is Dead is out in a short while, so this should remind me why I look forward to his games so much, even if Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw didn't really do it for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Actually, Lucy, my trouble is football. I just don't understand it. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down.

Go Lions.

Either I'm clicking on the wrong spots, or you only posted one version of the video.

Regardless, this is a pretty neat game and I think it improves on more things from NMH1 than it drops the ball on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I love how the Skelter Helter fight is exactly what was shown in the first trailer for No More Heroes, as well as its intro cinematic. Although that was when it used a similar shading style to Killer7.

Killer is Dead is out in a short while, so this should remind me why I look forward to his games so much, even if Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw didn't really do it for me.

Man I wish I had the money for Killer is Dead because it sounds like it'll be a fun game. More Suda games are never a bad thing if they incorporate his nonsensical style!

C-Euro posted:

Either I'm clicking on the wrong spots, or you only posted one version of the video.

Regardless, this is a pretty neat game and I think it improves on more things from NMH1 than it drops the ball on.

There's no uncut video for the first episode. I probably should've made that more clear in the post itself. Sorry about that.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

The "Helter Skelter killer" laGanj was talking about is Charles Manson.

The Beatles had a song on their White Album titled "Helter Skelter." Ol' batshit crazy Charlie thought the lyrics of the song portended some racial apocalypse or some other batshit crazy thing that he used as his reason for going out and murdering.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

I love how the placement of this character in the game sort of subtly reveals Suda's thoughts on Final Fantasy VII. The fact you kill a thinly-veiled Cloud Strife clone as the tutorial boss can't just be coincidence.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BULLSHIT
PUZZLES
A PLENTY

It's fitting that Colonel Campbell is doing the intro for this game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It's fitting that Colonel Campbell is doing the intro for this game.

Man I wish LaGanj would get off his rear end and play Metal Gear already so I can start making more Metal Gear jokes.

I was hoping to be able to post concept artwork of the assassins again like the last thread, but I can't find any so oh well.

I apologize ahead of time for the video's length. I'll try to keep them from getting stupidly long like this again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up, I don't think I can post an update today since I've been away all weekend and completely forgot to encode today's update despite having it all edited and autoducked for weeks now. We should be good to go for Friday, assuming school doesn't swamp me.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Ooh, I never got to finish this game because I got rid of my Wii too soon

I like to think the Suda games are modern-day beat 'em ups...which automatically makes them overly cool in my book. I haven't played Killer is Dead yet, but honestly, the only one I can say I truly disliked was Shadow of the Damned.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

Ooh, I never got to finish this game because I got rid of my Wii too soon

I like to think the Suda games are modern-day beat 'em ups...which automatically makes them overly cool in my book. I haven't played Killer is Dead yet, but honestly, the only one I can say I truly disliked was Shadow of the Damned.

I hear that one's not so great because Suda barely touched it. I've also heard the same about Killer is Dead so I'm not so enthused about it anymore.

I wish the bosses in this game had silly names or some kind of title or pseudonyms like some of the bosses from No More Heroes 1.

Nathan Copeland official art:

Edit: These are going to take a little while to process so you might have to try again in a few minutes.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2013 around 21:39

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

Villain tip: Next time kill
someone I actually like.

You did a decent job with the boss opening. You gotta work on that crawling text a bit, it's really tiny compared to the old NMH style text.

I like Nathan's design, but his battle turns into a clusterfuck way too quickly. Love the boombox arms though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

You did a decent job with the boss opening. You gotta work on that crawling text a bit, it's really tiny compared to the old NMH style text.

I like Nathan's design, but his battle turns into a clusterfuck way too quickly. Love the boombox arms though.

Oh don't worry, I've got it slightly better (but kinda choppy) for the next one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Coco-co-conutz time. It wouldn't be No More Heroes without them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Actually, Lucy, my trouble is football. I just don't understand it. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down.

Go Lions.

A video late, but the "PS3 shop theme" as you called it was from one of the first NMH2 trailers.

E: Spoilers maybe? As much as a trailer can spoil one on a game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2013 around 03:12

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

A video late, but the "PS3 shop theme" as you called it was from one of the first NMH2 trailers.

E: Spoilers maybe? As much as a trailer can spoil one on a game.

Oh that's kinda cool, actually! I still don't like the song, but I can respect it somewhat for matching Skelter Helter's tone. Slight spoilers on a few things, so watch at your own discretion.

Edit: Song's called No More Riot, if you wanna look for it I guess.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2013 around 12:30

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know what the hell happened, but I lost the boss intro for the next episode and everything else I edited aside from the commentary track, so I have to re-edit it and make sure it all lines up properly so don't expect a new episode tomorrow. Updates should resume Monday.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

No worries, keep at it,you're doing a good job.

I watched the abridged DSP plays Dark Souls and it was everything you said and worse. I hate that the man makes money on that poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Go Lions.

The coconut game is pretty obnoxious so I usually don't bother with it.

E: Is one of you playing DOTA or something in the second half of the video? The mouse clicks are kind of annoying.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at Sep 15, 2013 around 21:43

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The coconut game is pretty obnoxious so I usually don't bother with it.

E: Is one of you playing DOTA or something in the second half of the video? The mouse clicks are kind of annoying.

That was LaGanj multitasking. I couldn't remove the clicks in audacity, but I've told him to cool it with the clicking since recording that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Funnily enough, there's a football player named Charlie MacDonald. He plays the other kind of Football though. Also I kinda goofed with the text crawl but oh well. You only really see the goof for a fraction of a second anyway. Also in one of the cutscenes Travis always wears the default outfit for some reason. Not sure why, but oh well, it's not a big deal.

Charlie MacDonald Offical Render:

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

I liked this boss a lot. Especially how he's basically a Ganman from Gurren Lagann. The special moves you get are pretty cool too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Go Lions.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sat on that killscreen thinking "I'm pressing these buttons in order, why can't I finish him off? "

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Destroy Beef; now with 100% Angus beef! The upload on the non-uncut video is taking forever, but the uncut one uploaded just fine. drat college internet! If you really need to watch the non-uncut video, then I suggest waiting until the end of today. As soon as I say that, the upload finishes immediately.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at Sep 20, 2013 around 18:48

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's time for a little role-reversal even though that means nothing in the context of this game.

Kimmy Howell Offical Art:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

"The more Ecstasy you have, the bigger the peony gets."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh dammit, LaGanj's audio for the next episode got messed up and ends like 5 minutes before the episode does. I don't know when the next time we can record will be, but hopefully it'll be soon.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

Kimmy is kind of nice because it shows what an icon Travis has become. And it shows how accepted violence is with the rest of the world.
It's funny to see her showing the same sort of warped logic Travis used in the first game. And how she is obviously aroused when he hurts her.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Crap, I forgot I had this ready to upload today. Better late than never, I guess?

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

I don't know why, but I'm really poo poo at the Tiling minigame. I can never match up the blocks correctly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Because I am totally on top of things, here is the next assassin a day late. Sorry if my upload schedule gets messed up from here on, school's been eating up my time like no tomorrow. Also Youtube's being kinda weird and didn't convert the uncut version of the episode properly or something. I'm giving it another go now but if it doesn't work I'll have to put it up later.

Matt Helms official art (and also concept art for Kimmy that I forgot I had):

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TO SPACE!

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Matt Helms fight. On the one hand, it's creepy and awesomely atmospheric. On the other hand, it's claustrophobic, you get stuck on geometry and the camera is horrible. You kinda wanna explore the house, but it's detrimental to your fighting ability.

Also the spinning slice is from NMH1. I think you are also invincible when you use it here, but not for as long as in NMH1.

SSNeoman fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2013 around 21:14

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Also the spinning slice is from NMH1. I think you are also invincible when you use it here, but not for as long as in NMH1.

I'm honestly not sure if the Running Slash or the Step-in Slice is the Lovikov move. And in practice, the invincibility frames don't really mean too much since the attack is so fast. Then again, if you're good with timing, then you could probably dodge a bunch of attacks with it.

Travis, this is a sneaking mission. Do you copy?

Cloe Walsh Offical Render:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This is not how you go get money.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

someone I actually like.

I wonder why the worst minigame of NMH1 made it into NMH2? Like, who thought that was a good idea?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I wonder why the worst minigame of NMH1 made it into NMH2? Like, who thought that was a good idea?

I'd say it was a good idea if the intent was to troll the players.

Anyway, LaGanj's computer is awful (STAY AWAY FROM ALIENWARE AND DELL) so we don't have an update ready for today. He should have it fixed within the week though so we should be good to go on Friday. If not we'll be back Monday or whenever the next episode is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Deathmatch is always a fun game type in FPSes, I guess. Let's do one Beat 'em Up style!

«2 »