Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sunning posted:

Come to think of it, spoilers for Robert Louis Stevenson's book are to this show what the historical account of the slave rebellion was for Spartacus.

Dear lord I hope those idiotic rules don't ruin this thread. Its a prequel and its being told like viewers should somewhat know that. Its a 220 year old book. People have had literally their whole lives to read it and probably have in school.

Its like spoiling the end of the US Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dear lord I hope those idiotic rules don't ruin this thread. Its a prequel and its being told like viewers should somewhat know that. Its a 220 year old book. People have had literally their whole lives to read it and probably have in school.

Its like spoiling the end of the US Civil War.

The age of the material the TV show is based on is irrelevant. You're still spoiling a show for someone that is specifically avoiding that information. Not everyone is familiar with detailed pirate history enough to just know off-hand exactly how every character on the show eventually ends up. There's no reason it has to spoil the thread, and it worked out just fine for Spartacus.

Also your analogy is a bit silly. The personal details of a few famous pirates is hardly some kind of widely-known topic on par with the US Civil War.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I read the book.

I don't remember it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I'd say Treasure Island is pretty darned well known. Its been adapted to film dozens of times and even had a Muppets movie made about it. I'm not saying every one should be familiar with Calico Jack's history (they should be because its awesome history), but I dont think talking about Treasure Island feels like that at all.

I know thats how TVIV works, and I won't be an rear end about it, but come on. Its a classic work of fiction for children thats been around for centuries. I had to read it in like 5th grade.

Whatever, kids these days and their hatred of books and back in my day school was uphill in the snow and blah blah blah....

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I read the book.

I don't remember it.

Same. And watched at least one of the movies.

Just do we we did for the Spartacus thread and spoiler character fates and plots. We had very few problems with this.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just watched the pilot and goddamn this show already has me hooked. Between this and Assassin's Creed IV, it's been a really great year for pirate media! The "I want to gently caress." line was a little out-of-place and unnecessary, but I thought everyone else did a great job. Flint in particular was fantastic casting if the series holds as well as the pilot.

As for Treasure Island, I've never actually read the book but don't really have any issues with people talking about where this show will lead. Like others have said, it's public domain, heavily referenced in other media, and most people probably have a basic idea of what its about.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, I'd say Treasure Island is pretty darned well known.

No, it's not really. Not the intricacies of the plot and characters anyway. Most people have probably heard the title at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've never even heard of the book. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Treasure Island is probably more well known than the details of the Civil War though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Wait, there is another pirate show coming? On network TV?

quote:

“Sails” is set 20 years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island” and is free of the peg-legs and talking parrot tropes. It follows Capt. Flint (Toby Stephens) and his men as they fight for the survival of New Providence Island in the Bahamas — a criminal haven with pirates, prostitutes and thieves.
Since this is Starz, the premium cable elements are there — lesbian sex scenes, nudity, bloody violence — which may help distinguish it from NBC’s upcoming drama “Crossbones,” which stars John Malkovich as the notorious pirate Blackbeard. And while the first few episodes set up a familiar plotline of seeking treasure, Steinberg doesn’t want “Sails” to be defined as simply a “pirate show.”
“We try not to use that word when we’re talking about it. It is to define them by the crime that they’ve committed as opposed to by the life they’re trying to eke out for themselves,” he says.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/21/starz-takes-on-real-pirates-with-black-sails/

Xoidanor posted:

The book isn't hard to find now that it's public domain now.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Xoidanor posted:

It's great swashbuckling fun written for teenage boys, and is directly responsible for getting me into the Aubrey-Maturin books (More boats and cannons and muskets? Sign me the gently caress up!) a few years later.

Don't know how much of a reader you are, but I recommend it. (Black Sails future spoiler maybe:) In TI, Silver is a politicking disingenuous gently caress not unlike Frank Underwood in House of Cards, and I'm curious to see if the show will build him up to Stevenson's description.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Treasure Island also started a bunch of "piratey" stuff we all know and love. Talking parrots, treasure maps marked with an X, the black spot, and possibly the entire idea of buried pirate treasure.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

By the way, the spirit of Spartacus won't live on until we get some gay romance.

Lesbians don't count.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I watched it last night and enjoyed it, other that the casting of John Silver. I watched a few different versions Treasure Island and really liked the book when I was growing up, so I'm biased by my previous notions that have been with me for a long time, but Long John Silver has traditionally been cast as being pretty drat grizzled looking, or at least like he could be capable of doing you harm. John Silver in this show, (while being much younger in this iteration) just kind of looks goofy.

(never saw this version)
vs.

I was also surprised to learn that Captain Vane's "Cliche badass eyebrow scar" is apparently real.
Captain Flint looks perfect.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeah, for me, Long John Silver is the worst part of the show so far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But from your pictures he definitely could be a younger Tim Curry.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Aphrodite posted:

But from your pictures he definitely could be a younger Tim Curry.

He looks more like a tanner Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) than anything when in motion in the episode, I think.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, the dude does have 20 years of pirate-lifing to go through. That'll probably pirate him up some.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I don't really mind the character/actor since the pilot made it pretty clear that he's more of a conman than some rough pirate. We'll see where they go with it but I'm alright with him for now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me this show is working because it's using a fictional crew alongside real pirate crews.

Vanes quarter master is John/Jack Rackham or Calico Jack a famous pirate in his own right and owner of one of the most used Jolly Rogers in history. His gently caress buddy in the show, is Anne Bonny... a ruthless female pirate. Which was an enormous feat for a woman, they were considered bad luck on a ship by the deeply superstitious seafarers.

This is taken from 'A General History of the Pyrates' published in 1725.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 25, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Spartacus bro chiming in.

Enjoyed the show. Nice tits. Nice violence. What I expected and what I got. Waiting for the next episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

Yeah I don't really mind the character/actor since the pilot made it pretty clear that he's more of a conman than some rough pirate. We'll see where they go with it but I'm alright with him for now.

Yeah, they made it pretty obvious with his first scenes that he's an opportunistic guy who tries to lay low until he sees a chance to capitalize. The actor seemed fine to me, he showed some personality when he was first talking to the cook at the beginning, the rest of the episode the character was just going with the flow and observing poo poo. That wig he has is terrible though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I enjoyed the first episode for this one more than I did the first episode of Spartacus and I ended up putting Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena up there with my favorite seasons of all time for a show so I'm pretty hopeful for how this one will turn out once it hits its stride.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The first episode of Spartacus was a loving disaster. I'm so relieved Black Sails got a decent start.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

The first episode of Spartacus was a loving disaster. I'm so relieved Black Sails got a decent start.

Yeah, Spartacus took a few episodes to get going and this show already looks to be off to a better start. Hopefully it only gets better from here onward.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Blackbeard was the best joke. It bought me at least half a season.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Think we should also sorta note that some critics have seen around three or so episodes already and are down on it because there isn't enough action. All political/trade stuff. Sepinwall particularly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Here's hoping John Hannah gets a role as a foul mouthed innkeeper.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Tokubetsu posted:

Think we should also sorta note that some critics have seen around three or so episodes already and are down on it because there isn't enough action. All political/trade stuff. Sepinwall particularly.

Critics are much more split than viewers. Seems about 50/50 positive and negative reviews. It's a shame they were only sent 4 episodes as the season is really backloaded (action wise).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Critics are much more split than viewers. Seems about 50/50 positive and negative reviews. It's a shame they were only sent 4 episodes as the season is really backloaded (action wise).

Whoa whoa whoa, how do you know this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, how do you know this?

Even if he's just speculating, it does seem obvious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully they avoid any more CG shots of the ships sailing because the ones in the pilot were pretty bad. The sets look good and the New Providence dock was fine but that part at the beginning was just rough looking.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

I havent watched it yet but has no-one else mentioned the fact that the pilot was directed by Neil "Blackwater" Marshall?

You mean Neil "Centurion" Marshall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZs2_i_cDE
Bad trailer, decent movie.

I quite liked the pilot, obviously CGI is a standout for being a bit iffy but I was surprised at the Island Village set, looks pretty drat good for a TV show.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

drunkill posted:

You mean Neil "Centurion" Marshall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZs2_i_cDE
Bad trailer, decent movie.

I quite liked the pilot, obviously CGI is a standout for being a bit iffy but I was surprised at the Island Village set, looks pretty drat good for a TV show.

I rather enjoyed the pilot and thought the CG looked fine, but the land sets (was that Nassau? Port Royal? I can't remember if they said) looked amazing. I saw some "Making Of" for the pilot and they actually built Flint's ship they use, though it was on a platform next to the ocean and not in it.

Why is it being compared to Spartacus? I remember watching the Spartacus pilot and turning it off halfway through because of the ridiculous tsunamis of CGI blood made me laugh too much.

Also anyone wanting to watch/rewatch the Black Sails pilot, Starz put it up on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-vbDtyMXw

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PlushCow posted:

Why is it being compared to Spartacus? I remember watching the Spartacus pilot and turning it off halfway through because of the ridiculous tsunamis of CGI blood made me laugh too much.

I compared it to Spartacus in the title because at the time I wrote the OP, Spartacus had just gone off the air and this was next in the pipe for the "historical action series aimed at men ages 18-35."

But I'll be perfectly honest and say that, at least so far, Black Sails is completely tonally different, so my comparison is no longer valid. But I can't change the title so everyone has to live with it and that's just how it's gonna be ok :colbert:

Also: I hope you gave Spartacus a second shot because it improved exponentially after the third episode and by the end of the first season it went from something I (and most others) ironically watched to something that was legitimately compelling.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I rather enjoyed the pilot and thought the CG looked fine, but the land sets (was that Nassau? Port Royal? I can't remember if they said) looked amazing. I saw some "Making Of" for the pilot and they actually built Flint's ship they use, though it was on a platform next to the ocean and not in it.

Yeah that's the impression most got from that episode. Just ignore it and go on Netflix or something and watch the rest of the season. By about episode 5 you'll be completely hooked. The hooky CGI will be there for all of season 1 (their budget was kinda limited) but the characters, drama and ridiculous slow-motion fight scenes will make it all worth it.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 27, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PlushCow posted:

Because it's on Starz and will hopefully be similar in that in contains a lot of political intrigue, violence, nudity and strong characters. Also it's been said a million times but Spartacus is an amazing show which you should definitely watch, even if the first few episodes are a bit rough.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

3Romeo posted:

I compared it to Spartacus in the title because at the time I wrote the OP, Spartacus had just gone off the air and this was next in the pipe for the "historical action series aimed at men ages 18-35."

But I'll be perfectly honest and say that, at least so far, Black Sails is completely tonally different, so my comparison is no longer valid. But I can't change the title so everyone has to live with it and that's just how it's gonna be ok :colbert:

This is shaping up to be more Boardwalk Empire than Spartacus anyway, which I'm totally cool with.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

DivisionPost posted:

This is shaping up to be more Boardwalk Empire than Spartacus anyway, which I'm totally cool with.

Given that some critics have "complained" that later episodes of Black Sails lack action and are full of political intrigue, this might be shaping up to be more like Game of Thrones. Intermittent action set pieces that happen in a narrative full of political maneuvering, backstabbing, etc. And that's a great show to be compared to so I'm not sure why critics complained so much. Guess they expected just another Spartacus and this might be going for a different angle, like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

PlushCow posted:

Also anyone wanting to watch/rewatch the Black Sails pilot, Starz put it up on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-vbDtyMXw

No way that's TV-14 unless they cut out 20 minutes of it.

• Locked thread