Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

VDay posted:

"If you loved Black Sails but thought it didn't have enough Pirates of the Caribbean mystical/magic bullshit and had too many interesting characters, then do we have the show for you!"

Oh God, an NBC show. Of course. Glad they are among the list of networks jumping onto the Pirate Show bandwagon :rolleyes:. I don't even see Malkovich as BB. Like, I think he's a great actor, but he doesn't seem to fit the role, and yeah I feel the same, it's just gonna be some lukewarm "pirate" show for the whole family to watch before the kids go to bed and is going to totally glamorize BB despite the fact he was not exactly of stellar repute. I mean, I know that this is the same network that airs Hannibal, but come the gently caress on. This trend of "Well, HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax show X did really well, so let's emulate it by creating a watered-down aping of their show."

I predict it lasts maybe a season at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

On the other hand, it looks a little bit more professional than Black Sails.

Black Sails was ok, but it had the feel an amateur cameraman was filming the entire thing. It was fun at first, but got tiring.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I kind of like how the whole show feels like it's filmed on a boat, even the scenes that aren't actually on a boat.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am looking forward to when Black Beard shows up on Black Sails. Cause i am hoping he'll be scary as poo poo and intimidate everyone.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

PlushCow posted:

NBC released a trailer of their own upcoming pirate show, Crossbones, with John Malkovich as Blackbeard (without an actual black beard ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdrrHm3HhY

John Malkovich as Teddy KGB as Blackbeard

*lovely Rihanna music blaring*

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Holy poo poo, way to be a condescending rear end in a top hat. I actually work on the show, and am intimately acquainted with all of the effects work on it.

And for the record, our CG is made from unicorn farts.

Hello guy who works on the production. Do you know of anywhere I could pick up a set of shades like Jack was wearing in that one episode? If they're custom I'd be willing to buy the real one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That main guy looks like a more well groomed and professional Kenny Powers

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Meatwave posted:

This is a spoiler I'm quite glad to read.

Also Billy had some Popeye-sized arms. There's no sane pirate on that ship who should believe that a dude like Billy just loving lost his grip and fell. It looked like two bulldogs wrestling when he crossed his arms. Dude could probably pop my head off my neck like a zit.
I noticed that as well; to me it was like "does he have hams implanted into his forearms or something?" every time he did a scene with his arms crossed.

Might check out the Blackbeard as well and could catch my interest if it's even half as good as Hannibal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I kind of like how the whole show feels like it's filmed on a boat, even the scenes that aren't actually on a boat.

It's because they built a full scale practical boat set for the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Hello guy who works on the production. Do you know of anywhere I could pick up a set of shades like Jack was wearing in that one episode? If they're custom I'd be willing to buy the real one.

we know they aren't historical, sunglasses weren't invented until the 1750's and 4 lens frame sunglasses weren't invented until somewhere around 1800.

I had a search on some antique optics stores and forums, couldn't find anything as sweet as Jacks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I could have done without all the tedious soap opera elements of Black Flag, and i hope we get away from the island in the next season. But Crossbones just looks like a poor version of the same story.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Oasx posted:

i hope we get away from the island in the next season

But they always go back to the island. :lost:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Oasx posted:

and i hope we get away from the island in the next season.

pretty sure somebody is not leaving that island next season

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Sorry if I'm rezzing this thread but just got done watching the season in one sitting.

Felt it was awesome and Flint's character development will be a definite selling point to friends who are GoT/Vikings watchers 'Nah you see the dude who you thought was 2nd protagonist is actually a dick'.

That said and I will try and skirt around it because cba spoiler tags and I don't think the whole 'Based on Treasure Island', 'Never read Treasure Island', 'The gently caress? It's a public domain treasure' spoilers/no-spoilers was ever resolved in thread. My favourite part of the series is the Silver/Randall interaction. When everyone was griping over Silver in the first few eps I thought maybe they would do a bait and switch:- Randall has a lot of the Treasure Island LJ Silver characteristics (cook, 1 leg, maybe smarter than is letting on) and it's nice the show played with it. Can't believe a pirate mastermind would end up losing a leg over a cat but the build up to the John Silver/Randall -> Faaaaaaaart scene was great and maybe played on such assumptions.

Looking forward to season 2.

wizardstick fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 30, 2014

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

wizardstick posted:

Randall has a lot of the Treasure Island LJ Silver characteristics (cook, 1 leg, maybe smarter than is letting on)

gently caress's sake, I have no idea how I missed all that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

rejutka posted:

gently caress's sake, I have no idea how I missed all that.

Counterpoint:

FAAAARRRRRTTTT *blank stare*

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Counterpoint:

FAAAARRRRRTTTT *blank stare*

CounterCounterpoint:

*BONK*

"You're welcome"

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Resurrecting the thread for a season two teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4KhWE5tiIk

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So faaarrrrr away

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

How many drugs do I have to take to put myself into a coma until 2015?

By the way, how in the gently caress did Black Sails not win an Emmy for title design? I'm a big fan of True Detective (see avatar) but that was bullshit.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 15, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Meatwave posted:

How many drugs do I have to take to put myself into a coma until 2015?

By the way, how in the gently caress did Black Sails not win an Emmy for title design? I'm a big fan of True Detective (see avatar) but that was bullshit.

It owns along with the catchy title song.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

3Romeo posted:

Resurrecting the thread for a season two teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4KhWE5tiIk

Dammit Eleanor leave Vane alone! :argh:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I can't wait for this show to come back, it's shot pretty amazingly.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I AM SO GLAD THIS WAS RENEWED PROMPTLY UNLIKE SOME OTHER SHOWS I COULD MENTION

... When does the new season start?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

SET EMERGENCY POWER TO RENEWAL

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
For any fans of history and the main actor in this show, Toby Stephens, you should check out this excellent docudrama the BBC put out on the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RM5rYOuVYY

I'm a rabid fan of Plains Indian history and the study of the Battle of the Little Bighorn in particular and this documentary nails the history and Toby Stephens plays a fantastic George Armstrong Custer in it. Something maybe to tide you over till the season starts.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
‘Black Sails’ Renewed For Third Season On Starz

quote:

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht virtually assured a third-season pickup of its Michael Bay-produced pirate drama Black Sails at last summer’s TCA, and today the pay cable network made it official at New York Comic-Con, more than three months ahead of the series’ second-season premiere, set for January 24.

Black Sails is set 20 years before Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Treasure Island and chronicles the tales of Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) and his men, including young John Silver (Luke Arnold). Hannah New, Tadgh Murphy, and Zach McGowan also star. Season 1 debuted to 2.6 million Live+Same Day viewers during its opening weekend in January, setting a viewership record for a Starz original series. Jonathan Steinberg and Robert Levine are the creators and executive producers, with Bay and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form also EPs.

“The incredible world that Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine have created continues to unfold in Season 2,” said Carmi Zlotnik, managing director of Starz. “Flint’s journey is riveting, and around him, Jon and Robert have woven an intricate web of conflict, betrayal, and redemption for the other characters that we believe will keep fans of the show coming back for more.”

Good news, this is a great show. I've been itching to re-watch it, that first-season finale was a kick in the guts. Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5Cxv-boPc

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

PlushCow posted:

‘Black Sails’ Renewed For Third Season On Starz

Good news, this is a great show. I've been itching to re-watch it, that first-season finale was a kick in the guts. Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5Cxv-boPc

Hell yes to that!

But god dammit we're still 3 months away from season 2.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
So does anyone think Black Beard will show up this season? Cause i am hoping he does, and is scary as poo poo.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

ElBrak posted:

So does anyone think Black Beard will show up this season? Cause i am hoping he does, and is scary as poo poo.

Um excuse me blackbeard already showed up :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blackclambeard doesn't count

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Athropos posted:

Um excuse me blackbeard already showed up :colbert:

Original Blackbeard best Blackbeard. That scene was hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OptimusWang posted:

Original Blackbeard best Blackbeard. That scene was hilarious.

It was the best type of bait and switch trick for the viewer.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
just finished watching the final episode

Man, I loved it. This show is so good and I can't wait for next season

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a side note the whole 1st season is on Google play for $13.49.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just got done rewatching the first season, why isn't it January yet?! :argh:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Season 2 kicks off January 24th.

Edit: And Starz is marathoning season 1, starting at 3pm on December 28th.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
S2 thread up:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696171

• Locked thread