Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPRzH7Nrg4

:pirate:Official summary:

“The eight-episode first season of the pirate adventure centers on the tales of Captain Flint and his men, and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island. Toby Stephens (Die Another Day) stars as Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver. Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of New Providence Island, the most notorious criminal haven of its day – a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers, a place defined by both its enlightened ideals and its stunning brutality.”

Strangely enough, this is Michael Bay's (yes, that Michael Bay) first real shot at television; he's producing it alongside Jon Steinberg, who produced the short but pretty good Jericho.

:pirate:Will it be as good as Starz's (only other good show) Spartacus?

Who knows. I wasn't a fan of Da Vinci's Demons or Camelot (which even Eva Green's boobs couldn't save) but for some reason I have high hopes for this show. Because, you know, pirates. Also, Bear McCreary (of Battlestar Galactica fame) is doing the soundtrack.

Edit: Apparently, Starz has already greenlit a second season before the first one has even aired, so that bodes pretty well.

:pirate:When does it come out?

January 2014, according to the website.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Bumping for a new preview:

http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails/videos/video/16

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 31, 2013

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Looks like we have a fixed date: January 25th.

The last few years I've had a great lineup to television shows to watch, and two of them ended (Spartacus and Breaking Bad). I'm really hoping this joins Justified and Game of Thrones as poo poo I aim to catch every week.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hughmoris posted:

I thought the trailer looked great. :smith:

I did, too. I'm not looking for Shakespeare or The Wire here. I want something full of back-stabbing, politicking characters, hot women (and hot men for the straight women and gay friends I'll watch this with), sword fights, shootings, and all seven sins.

I just want more Spartacus. But I hope this'll do in a pinch.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
McCreary's changing things up. I expected a lot of BSG-like drums (being on a ship and all, seemed like a perfect fit), but got some bagpipe-like rock instead. Liked it a lot better the second time through.

edit: According to the article, it's this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy which is pretty lol actually, not even close to a bagpipe.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 31, 2013

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Digging it. Why? Because no matter how old I get I'm still a loving Lost Boy, and stories about pirates still get me the same way Treasure Island got me when I was a little kid.

The way the Spartacus was to 300, Black Sails is to Master and Commander, which is pretty much what I was hoping for: over-the-top violence, boobs, lesbians, and back-stabbing politics. We'll see where it goes, but I think the pilot's a pretty good foundation for awesomeness later on. And I'm vaguely curious to see if it's as progressive as Spartacus was.

edit: but Silver and his hair might as well be Jon Snu, which is p. distracting, but whatever

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Just watched the show last night and it was great. Really looking forward to it. Maybe I was drunk or something but I think I missed the plot at the end. Can someone explain it to me? So Long Jon Silver had the real map the whole time and Pirate Captain guy pretended to find it in order to trick his crew, but in reality he has no idea where the Spanish treasure ship really is? Is that about right?

That's pretty much how I saw things. Flint, at least so far as he's portrayed in the show, wants power. He wants to rule. The fight on the deck was a Hail Mary to claim dominance and buy himself more time.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Xoidanor posted:

I've never even heard of the book. :ohdear:

It's great swashbuckling fun written for teenage boys, and is directly responsible for getting me into the Aubrey-Maturin books (More boats and cannons and muskets? Sign me the gently caress up!) a few years later.

Don't know how much of a reader you are, but I recommend it. (Black Sails future spoiler maybe:) In TI, Silver is a politicking disingenuous gently caress not unlike Frank Underwood in House of Cards, and I'm curious to see if the show will build him up to Stevenson's description.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PlushCow posted:

Why is it being compared to Spartacus? I remember watching the Spartacus pilot and turning it off halfway through because of the ridiculous tsunamis of CGI blood made me laugh too much.

I compared it to Spartacus in the title because at the time I wrote the OP, Spartacus had just gone off the air and this was next in the pipe for the "historical action series aimed at men ages 18-35."

But I'll be perfectly honest and say that, at least so far, Black Sails is completely tonally different, so my comparison is no longer valid. But I can't change the title so everyone has to live with it and that's just how it's gonna be ok :colbert:

Also: I hope you gave Spartacus a second shot because it improved exponentially after the third episode and by the end of the first season it went from something I (and most others) ironically watched to something that was legitimately compelling.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
i know the second season is generally (and rightfully) maligned compared to the rest, but it had some great moments.

edit: anyone have Spartacus.jpg? The one with Illythia slitting Seppia's throat while she's straddling Glaber?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 31, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
That's the one.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hot drat. Thanks.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Quoting myself here, but:

quote:

I compared it to Spartacus in the title because at the time I wrote the OP, Spartacus had just gone off the air and this was next in the pipe for the "historical action series aimed at men ages 18-35."

But I'll be perfectly honest and say that, at least so far, Black Sails is completely tonally different, so my comparison is no longer valid. But I can't change the title so everyone has to live with it.

edit: went ahead and threw it into the OP, because this far along in the thread and series your question is a completely valid one

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Deadpool delivers with the title change. Thanks!

edit: I also cleaned most of the Spartacus stuff out of the op since there really isn't much of a comparison to be made anymore

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Gazaar posted:

I'm finishing up episode 2 and while I normally don't notice this sort of thing I absolutely love how this show is shot. Also I just really like this show.

Yeah, there's a lot to admire. I love the civilization on the island, and the show is very Deadwood in that regard. The intra-group politics is fairly complicated (if not nuanced), which isn't something I expected from a Michael Bay show.

Gonna spoil this, since you said you were only on Ep. 2:

Another bonus is that it's showing us things about pirates that we (read: I) have never seen before and doing it in a remarkably graceful fashion. Bringing the ship ashore to clean the hull pushed the plot forward, but it also shed some (pretty loving hilarious) insight into this version of pirate culture (in re: gently caress tent).

Downsides: The acting is kind of spotty in parts and with the exception of Flint and the two quartermasters, there aren't a whole lot of characters I like and really want to see more of. But that dialogue between Flint and Vane, with Gates and Jack Rackham acting as their counsel, was loving hilarious. If the show can keep up that kind of writing--the kind that comes out of the story instead of the other way around, like the plot-driven scene where Eleanor fucks over Vane--then the show could really be something great.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Those really are some awesome credits.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Thanks for the gif, that was a fantastic scene to a great episode. They really picked it up near the end for this series. All this talk on naval tactics is pretty interesting to me, does anyone know of a decent book on the subject?

I don't know any non-fiction offhand, but if you're looking for more swashbuckling, ship combat, and politics, the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian is really, really good.

It takes place almost a hundred years after Black Sails, and it's heavy with early 19th century naval jargon, but once you get into it you'll blow through the entire series.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PaybackJack posted:

I was so sad to see Gates go. This show has been great and might get me to go back and watch Spartacus. I remember watching the first couple episodes of Spartacus but not really getting into it, this show had me hooked(no pun intended) from about episode 3.

Like Black Sails, Spartacus takes three or four episodes to get rolling. The Thing in the Pit, episode four, is where I got hooked (and so did some of the victims lol; tell me that isn't intentional).

Stick it out. It's worth the watch. The back half of the first season and the prequel (Gods of the Arena, which you want to watch after the first season) is where the show fires on all cylinders. Season 2 is the low point for a number of reasons, but if you can get through that and into season 3, you're in for some absolutely crazy poo poo.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'd have a hard time arguing that season 2 of Spartacus is the low point considering what had happened with Andy Whitfield. Liam took what he had to work with and ended up knocking it out of the park just like Andy did. It was a slow start but he had such enormous shoes to fill I can't lay any sort of blame at his feet. The worst I can say about season 2 is that Andy had died and that Navia had been replaced and I wasn't a huge fan of the actress but she did ok trying to go from broken woman to a relatively bad rear end killer. Looking back I'm not sure the first actress could have done any better.

I'ma throw my reply in spoilers for the guy who hasn't watched it yet. Sorry for the black bars. (And for clogging this thread with Spartacus chat yet again.)

I liked Vengeance, but I found it the weakest of all the seasons, which is why I call it the low point. There are some pretty lol parts to it, don't get me wrong--the fall of the arena, spartacus.jpg, and the face-chop all come to mind--but it was missing a lot of what made the first season and the prequel so good: the upstairs/downstairs story that oozed class warfare, the fights that held different meaning for different characters, and loving John Hannah owning every scene he was in. Blood and Sand--and to a greater extent, Gods of the Arena--were paragons of tight plotting and organic story that rose from character desires. Except for the green-screen scenes, it could've been a play, and that's a huge compliment.

Vengeance lost a lot of that. It was a transition season, taking the story from small and intimate scenes to battlefields south of Rome, and while it wasn't bad, it felt more functional than anything: it was about Spartacus finally getting revenge on Glaber, who was the weakest villain of the series, and raising an army in the process. Replacing old roles with new actors and actresses was the least of the season's issues.

War of the Damned, on the other hand, was balls-deep from the first episode to the last. Crassus, while not as comically hedonistic as Batiatus, was a really great antagonist. Caesar got rear end-raped by Justin Bieber. The constant chess-match between Spartacus and Crassus was fantastic, and that fight at the end between them was probably the greatest moment in the series, barring the fight at the end of GOTA. Vengeance was a bridge, and again, it certainly wasn't bad, but compared to what came before and after it, it's by far the weakest.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Whelp, all the AC chat made me just buy Black Flag even though I couldn't get through more than ten hours of AC3 (which was a shame, because I really liked the Ezio trilogy). Besides all the ship battles, I'm looking forward to see how the characters like Anne Bonny and Vane differ from their counterparts in the show.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Well. Except for the meta-retarded Abstergo video game industries frame, I'm digging it so far. It has the open-seas freedom feel that Black Sails does and some decent characterization, and that's pretty much all I really wanted.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Yeah. Gates' murder really hurt.

Future spoilers, based on Treasure Island poo poo: Billy obviously isn't dead, so I just shrugged that one off, but Gates was a really loving great guy. His sitdown with Flint and Vane and Calico Jack totally endeared me to his character.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Resurrecting the thread for a season two teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4KhWE5tiIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Season 2 kicks off January 24th.

Edit: And Starz is marathoning season 1, starting at 3pm on December 28th.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread