Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I enjoyed the first episode for this one more than I did the first episode of Spartacus and I ended up putting Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena up there with my favorite seasons of all time for a show so I'm pretty hopeful for how this one will turn out once it hits its stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

The first episode of Spartacus was a loving disaster. I'm so relieved Black Sails got a decent start.

Yeah, Spartacus took a few episodes to get going and this show already looks to be off to a better start. Hopefully it only gets better from here onward.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Good second episode - things are looking up. Kinda disappointed they killed off the guy with the facial scars so early as he had a lot of character. The 'accountant' seems so out of place and it's funny every time. Really looking forward to seeing how this show turns out, enjoying it so far. It's a shame more people aren't watching it. The pirate political chess is pretty interesting and a side of it that I don't think I've seen on television before.

Also:
"Sure I can't suck your cock while you do that?"
"Uh thank you, no."
"Use my hand? Sing you a song? Something worth paying money for."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah this show (at least on screen) looks to have a substantially bigger budget than Spartacus had. That or they're getting far better with their background filling CGI. A lot of the effects and specifically the arena crowd looked incredibly bad throughout Spartacus' entire run and it's a shame because that show deserved better. I was thankful during the first few arena scenes in Gods Of The Arena that they had a physical set with an actual live crowd there even if it was much smaller. The crowd in the bigger arena looked completely flat after being put in and it was bizarre.

Here's to hoping they do much more on location filming with their historical dramas in the future. I think Game Of Thrones has proven without a doubt that filming on location and having mostly real environments will make the show look leagues better than the competition. If Starz wants to be seen as a big player in original programming they're going to have to invest in it.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Spartacus had those awesome people who portrayed the crowd in the arena going all wild, shouting and loving and screaming and fighting. It was glorious. Game of Thrones is sterile as heck compared to that.

I'm not saying the crowd itself wasn't great I'm saying the way they were inserted into the arena shots looked flat and ridiculously fake. It looks like the crowd is being projected onto a giant flat screen. It's not something that made me enjoy the show less it just felt like a shame because of how good the show is otherwise. There are other moments that stand out (Solonius in the arena) as being really poorly done but I really enjoyed Spartacus so I'm not going to say it wasn't a great show overall regardless.

So far Black Sails looks great so I doubt there is much to worry about on that front anyway. The one sea battle we've seen so far looked pretty good so the future ones on a bigger scale should too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm another that got burned coming back to the Pirates franchise only after seeing a trailer with Ian McShane in it. Then again I'll blindly watch just about anything he's in after Deadwood so I probably shouldn't have expected more from the hundredth movie in that series. I wouldn't compare Black Sails to Deadwood overall, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There's probably far more CGI than you think in Black Sails and it being closer to modern times than Spartacus doesn't really change the fact that the tone and scale is very different between it and Deadwood. I'm not really sure what you're even comparing at that point but it's probably not a point worth arguing over either way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was not expecting the neck biting move by the accountant and it got a holy poo poo reaction out of me. Great episode.

Edit: Also liked the shots from his perspective when he was trying to find a target with his pistol - the total chaos with smoke everywhere really drove home how crazy and frightening those ship attacks had to have been.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That got hostile quickly.

Lord Tywin posted:

The Black Sails facebook just posted this which I thought was pretty funny.

It's always weird when 'official' things for TV shows and movies start using memes.

• Locked thread