Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate Micheal Bay as much as the next guy, but i'm all in with this - R-rated pirate show with MB's bottomless wallet, no brainer.

Starz has some big balls, occasionally it's bound to step on them e.g, Camelot which had some pretty great scenery chewing by Eva Green, and introduced Phillip Winchester from Strike Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For me this show is working because it's using a fictional crew alongside real pirate crews.

Vanes quarter master is John/Jack Rackham or Calico Jack a famous pirate in his own right and owner of one of the most used Jolly Rogers in history. His gently caress buddy in the show, is Anne Bonny... a ruthless female pirate. Which was an enormous feat for a woman, they were considered bad luck on a ship by the deeply superstitious seafarers.

This is taken from 'A General History of the Pyrates' published in 1725.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 25, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah! :pervert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pigdog posted:

It's too bad every female character / actress in the show is terrible. Particularly Eleanor in her petrified forest of woodenness. Spartacus had its share of boobage, but also good actresses and characters to back it up.

Poppycock

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i missed a eureka moment when Moneybags found that painting Mr and Mrs Thomas Hamilton.

who the gently caress is Thomas Hamilton, it's after doing my head in now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Billy Bones has to be the most jacked pirate in history. What a tank.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Jesus those abs belong on Arrow

His forearms have Abs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Pirates of Penzance not homosexual enough?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No gently caress tent.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't flint knock his rear end out in Guthries office, with Billy Bones.

e: Captain Hume IMDB tells me

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
English man o'war. pretty much meaning, full of dudes with guns.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
needs moar gently caress tent

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
His forearms will save him...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lovers, as they were in real life.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mans posted:

How is this season only eight episodes long? Every episode has been so good, Starz is producing really high quality tv.

Was Da Vinci's demons any good?

lost me with a scene not unlike this one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
IRL Vane was universally hated by everyone, because he was so ruthless and crooked.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Impressive no doubt, playing Assassins Creed: Black Flag atm. capturing man o' wars is a highlight.
Very few in that era had 100 guns, usually around 65 i read somewhere. Blackbeard had 40 at his most baddass.

Been researching these ships a lot recently for a possible sleeve tattoo, engineering masterpieces everyone of them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^

CODChimera posted:

Yeah once you saw that wall of guns appear you suddenly realize why they all treated the Manowar as such a dangerous enemy. Incredible.

Flint WAS right though, it was the wrong time for a mutiny and in the end it got a lot of them killed, although I'm not sure how well their original plan would've worked. Hitting the front and back of the ship would do what exactly? Surely it could still turn around and blow up both ships in an instant?

The bow and stern of the ships were the weakest and least armed sections, if they got penetration through the hull, the shot would go through the decks hitting everything in it's path.

I'm a carpenter, and the first thought i had was how long it would take to fix all that damage. Ships carpenter would be a bastard of a job.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 16, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
speed vs firepower i guess.

edit: beaten

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheizerbrick posted:

I can't remember if this was explained earlier in the season or not, but why did the Spanish have all that gold doing laps in the ocean where a storm can wreck it all, instead of on land?

Was the ship trying to reach Spain or just chilling?

It was on a schedule, probably going from spanish port, to spanish port. That's what the missing page was, so they knew roughly where it would be and when... hurricanes not withstanding.

What interesting, is getting into the geometry of naval navigating and horizonal viewing distances between a ship with a 80 feet mast, and one with a 100 foot mast crownest view distance, was about 2.1 miles extra for the 100 foot. (give or take, Imperial is a the tool of the devil)

So the bigger your ship, they more ocean you could survey

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 17, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dude... AC: Black Flag.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
'Black' Bartholomew Roberts managed to capture a Man o War with the Governor of Martinique onboard by pretending to be a French merchant ship offering information on his own where abouts.

He hung said Governor from the yard arm.

If they used a Man o War, they'd also have to crew it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyle Hyde posted:

The story missions are whatever, the real fun comes from sailing around and fighting sea battles. Also sea shanties.

The story missions are usually a bit of a rehash here and there but some of them are loving sensational. The actual story is brilliant because of the voice acting of the Pirates. Blackbeard is awesome.

Also... take the Spartacus over to the Spartacus thread, it could use the love.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 18, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah the Walrus is a square rigger.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

3Romeo posted:

Whelp, all the AC chat made me just buy Black Flag even though I couldn't get through more than ten hours of AC3 (which was a shame, because I really liked the Ezio trilogy). Besides all the ship battles, I'm looking forward to see how the characters like Anne Bonny and Vane differ from their counterparts in the show.

Blackbeard!! :black101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i found myself groaning going "gently caress off day job, gimme my shanties back."

Pro tip, kill every animal you see.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Hello guy who works on the production. Do you know of anywhere I could pick up a set of shades like Jack was wearing in that one episode? If they're custom I'd be willing to buy the real one.

we know they aren't historical, sunglasses weren't invented until the 1750's and 4 lens frame sunglasses weren't invented until somewhere around 1800.

I had a search on some antique optics stores and forums, couldn't find anything as sweet as Jacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blackclambeard doesn't count

• Locked thread