Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
They only get 20% of what active party leaders get. Also, each map's EXP is predetermined and you always get the same amount regardless of how many enemies you kill, but there seem to be some factors that reduce the amount of EXP party leaders get, and no, it doesn't seem to be getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How the Ring of Fates and Esper Troupes work

The Ring of Fates is a pretty simple concept - spend Auracite to unlock Espers. New Espers become available as you unlock the ones next to them, in a manner similar to FFX's Sphere Grid. Level 1 Espers cost 1 Auracite, level 2 Espers cost 2, and no prizes for guessing level 3s. Some Espers are only unlocked after certain points in the storyline, but you'll still have to activate the Espers next to them to buy them.

Initially, Esper troupes allow you to configure five level 1 Espers. After you buy your first level 2 Esper, they become updated to allow a limited number of level 2 Espers and a few level 1 Espers. After you buy your first level 3 Esper, they become updated again to allow you to add one in. You can use a higher level slot to accommodate a lower level one - so even after you buy a level 2 Esper for the first time, you can have a troupe full of level 1 Espers if you want. Each Esper requires a certain amount of points to summon at a gate, which is dependent on your party leaders. Higher level Espers require more points.

At the start of most missions, your party leaders will summon two Espers to their side. By default they will summon a level 2 Esper of their specialty - so Vaan will summon Melee units, Penelo summons Healing units, and so on. If your troupe doesn't have any level 2 Espers of their type, then they'll summon level 1 Espers of their type. If they don't have those either, they'll just summon level 1 Espers of other types. Healing Espers have the lowest priority - if you want someone other than Penelo to start off with them, then you have to configure your troupe such that they don't have any Espers of their type and the only level 1 Esper are White Hares. If there are more than one Esper that matches their summoning preference (so if there are two level 2 Melee Espers for Vaan), then they'll summon one of each randomly. You can never start a map with a level 3 Esper - they have to be summoned through gates.

Elemental Affinities

The standard Elemental cycle goes like this:

Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire > Earth

There are a few exceptions, but that's the basic gist. Unlike the Melee/Flying/Ranged cycle, an Esper doesn't take less damage from the element they have an advantage against. So a standard Earth Esper would be strong against Earth, deal extra damage to most Lightning Espers, and be weak to Fire. There are also Espers without elemental affinities.

Espers of a given element also have an innate immunity to a certain status, again with some exceptions. Most neutral Espers don't have status resistances.

Fire Espers are immune to Disable.
Water Espers are immune to Poison.
Lightning Espers are immune to Confusion.
Earth Espers are immune to Stop.

Level 1 Espers

These are done in clockwise order. If an Esper requires other Espers to be purchased before they are available, I'll note it. Most Espers have a 'standard' attack with no cooldown, or their auto-attack. Level 1 Espers almost universally only have those.

Garchimera (Neutral Flying) - Auto-unlocked
~Gnaw: Deal damage to one foe.

Boring. Replace with elemental Fliers as you see fit.

Alarune (Neutral Melee) - Auto-unlocked
~Ram: Deal damage to one foe.

Boring. Replace with elemental Melees as you see fit.

Slyph (Neutral Ranged) - Auto-unlocked
~Aero: Deal damage to one foe.

Third fastest Ranged Esper, which is nice, but no elemental affinities means you'll usually leave it on the bench once you get others. Useless if Silenced.

White Hare (Neutral Healing) - Purchasable from the start
~Cure: Restore HP to one ally.

Slow attack speed like most healing Espers, but useful enough. Literally has no self-defense though.

Cactoid (Earth Ranged) - Purchasable from the start
~1000 Needles: Deal damage to one foe.

Fastest attack speed in the game for a Ranged Esper. Their projectiles can't curve though. Otherwise a decent neutral pick.

Goblin (Earth Melee) - Requires Cactoid or Gnoam
~Goblin Punch: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard Melee. Pick them if you fight a lot of Lightning Ranged.

Gnoam (Earth Flying) - Requires Goblin
~Floating Kick: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard flier. Has better defenses than other level 1 Fliers.

Aquarius (Water Flying) - Purchasable from the start
~Bubblebath: Deal damage to one foe.

One of the fastest in mobility units in the game. Otherwise standard flier.

Sahagin (Water Melee) - Requires Aquarius or Shivan
~Smack: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard Melee. Pick them if you fight a lot of Fire Ranged.

Shivan (Water Ranged) - Requires Sahagin or Chocobo
~Blizzard: Deal damage to one foe.

Note: Weak to Fire instead of Lightning.

Fairly fast attack speed, but being weak to Fire makes picking them in response to Fire Epsers slightly counter-intuitive.

Chocobo (Neutral Melee) - Requires Shivan or Ramih
~Choco Beak: Deal damage to one foe.

Extremely fast mover, making them great fallback options for level 1 Espers. Like Vaan though, tend to die quickly since they're frequently at the frontlines.

Ramih (Lightning Flying) - Requires Chocobo or Remora
~Spark: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard Flier really.

Remora (Lightning Melee) - Requires Ramih or Quetzacotl
~Thunderchop: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard Melee, use them if you fight a lot of Water Espers, though note that Water Ranged espers aren't weak to Lightning.

Quetzacotl (Lightning Ranged) - Purchasable from the start
~Thunder: Deal damage to one foe.

Second fastest attack speed, otherwise pretty standard.

Djinn (Fire Melee) - Requires Salamander
~Flame Sneeze: Deal damage to one foe.

Standard Melee, use them if you fight a lot of Earth Ranged.

Salamander (Fire Ranged) - Requires Bomb or Djinn
~Fireball: Deal damage to one foe.

The only level 1 Esper whose projectile curves, though has a longer travel time. Great for attacking mobs of foes though.

Bomb (Fire Flying) - Purchasable from the start
~Bomb Blast: Deal damage to one foe.
*Self-Destruct: Consumes all HP to deal massive damage to surrounding foes. Must be manually commanded to use.

One of the only level 1 Espers worth mentioning, and that's because of Self-Destruct. Potentially powerful, especially if you send in swarms of them to explode on Melee bosses. If you see enemy Bombs, make them a top priority before they explode on you.

Yeah level 1 Espers are very boring. Hopefully I'll have more to say for the level 2 ones.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Is there more to differentiate Espers besides Tier/Element/Type/Speed? As in, attack strength, attack range, defense, etc. so that you'd choose one over another of the same type when facing off against neutral elemental compatibilities?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
They all have their own base stats and stat growth rates when you level them up. They also all have an innate Skill they use as their basic attack. Many of these have secondary effects, though the Level 1 Espers aren't very diverse outside of Element/Type. The write up covers almost all of the salient differences in the first tier Espers.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

I'm bad at making a red mage rabbit, apparently. But here's some rabbits.

Espers level up with your party, and stay at the average level of all your members, if anyone was wondering. You can use some later game abilities to raise their levels while in battle, but that's stuff in the future. Espers have some abilities which afflict ailments and things that give an advantage in a neutral matchup. Their stats don't make too much of a difference, not enough to be seriously considered as an advantage or disadvantage in most situations in the game. Party Leader's base stats are worth considering and comparing sometimes, but not Espers.

It's hard to show off a lot of this stuff in early battles, because they're pretty easy and can be won with some basic strategies.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
That's perfect! Enjoy ;)

I'm so psyched you're LPing this game. I've never seen a lot of hype for it, so I'm surprised there are even this many fans for it around here.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ok Amazing posted:

I'm bad at making a red mage rabbit, apparently. But here's some rabbits.

:3: awwwwww.
I'd play a Rabbit based FF.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

DjinnAndTonic posted:

That's perfect! Enjoy ;)

I'm so psyched you're LPing this game. I've never seen a lot of hype for it, so I'm surprised there are even this many fans for it around here.

I laughed when I saw my new avatar, like I just had this little giggle-fit right now. Gosh, and thank you!

One of the reasons I chose to play this game for the internet was because it feels like a lot of people are curious about it, but there's not that many who've actually taken the leap and played it for some reason or another. I'm glad there's all these fans of it though, it makes things more interesting that way!

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #8: 'Neath Darkened Wings

New Folio Entries

Yarhi
  • History: The magickal beasts of Lemurés. They do not perish when felled in battle, but merely return to their own world, where they wait to be called again. For this reason, the aegyl refer to them as the swords of the eternal.
  • Lore: It is my seventh day in Lemurés. Already I find myself accustomed to fending off the Yarhi -- the vulgar word for the beasts of this land. They much resemble those of Ivalice, but they lack substance, fading to nothing when slain.
    - An Antiquarian's Musings

Ba'Gamnan
  • History: Bangaa headhunter of ill repute. He once hunted the most notorious marks in Ivalice -- Balthier himself among them. But Ba'Gamnan's ruthless ways eventually led to a price being put on his own head. Even his own henchmen have begun to doubt his leadership.
  • Lore: He has long been a menace and threat to the peace of the Empire. The Ministry of Law may once have had use for such as he, but in a time of peace we can ill afford the threat in such allegiances. Let a bounty be placed on his head, and his head on a pike.
    - Proceedings of the Imperial Senate

New Log Book entry

Ba'Gamnan's Bane
  • Tomaj told me how it works, but I still don't trust it. I just hope Ba'Gamnan doesn't break free in the middle of the night and come for me... It's kinda scary in my room all alone. Maybe I can stay at Penelo's?
    - Kytes

Ba'Gamnan's Folio entry bridges his story between FFXII and now, if you had any questions on your lips about that.

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"That trinket was worth every gil."

"Trinket? You mean the muzzle you've got wrapped around Ba'Gamnan's snout? What did you buy that for in the first place?"

"Sorry, I can't be giving out trade secrets."

"Whatever you say, Tomaj."

"Have you seen the size of the sky saloon on this ship? There must be some use we can put it to."

"I wouldn't get too worked up if I were you. Wouldn't want anything to happen to ya."

"Let's have it, then! All wind and no steel is what you are!"

"I warned you."

"Leave me be. This muzzle's bad enough without having to talk to the likes of you!"

"Aw, c'mon. You're having fun, aren't you?"

"I guess.... But i've never really been much for fighting. What if something really big attacks us?"

"Then just be glad we'll be facing it together."

"Right, Vaan! Just promise me you'll try not to get us in too much trouble, okay?"

"I'll say!"

"All that hard work and practice down in Lowtown really paid off."

"It sure did! I told those scurvy landlubbers it would!"

"Too bad we couldn't bring more of the old crew along."

"He he he. They'll just have to wait for next time! When are we gonna go see what's in that temple?"

Penelo and Llyud don't have any new dialogue. Our mission is in the Fane of Gucuma Qul once more. So what is it?

- 'Neath Darkened Wings. The group presses on with the help of Ba'Gamnan, who is tamed by Tomaj's device. Arriving at the shrine's inner sanctum, they learn the true ambitions of the sky pirates. -

Right, let's get going!

Soundtrack: Battle 4 (Rebellion)

"If you think you're taking that auracite, think again."

"Slice 'em up good, lads!"

- Possession of a soul crystal enables KO'd group leaders to rejoin the battle after a short period of time. -

Soundtrack: Vaan's Theme (The Mosphoran Highwaste)

These are Ba'Gamnan's stats.

I put him in battle in place of Llyud. Most of our enemies are Melee or Ranged, so a Melee until has less weaknesses than a Flying one here. The Revive Gambit is also less useful on a field with a soul crystal.

I unlock Bomb Espers to use in this fight.

And this is my team going in! Let's begin battle!

Soundtrack: Field 4 - Battle 4(Rebellion)

Bombs have a self-destruct ability. When you tap an Esper, usually you just get the option to dismiss it. (Dismissing an Esper can be helpful, as it frees up Affinity points to spend on other Espers) Espers with abilities, like self-destruct here, get a Magick/Abilities option similar to the one party leaders get. Espers can't have Gambits, so you've got to use their abilities manually like this!

The map is fairly straightforward, there's a summoning gate in the middle that starts off property of our foes, so we should catch that on the way. Righty-o!

Filo has learned Defense Snare after the last battle. It's a trap which lowers the Stamina and Mind of foes. Setting up traps near a Soul Crystal or on choke points on an arena can be a good idea. Trapping abilities have a pretty long recharge time, so don't just place them anywhere, put a bit of thought into it! But this trap never comes into play here, as this is the first battle to show off the soul crystal mechanic and therefore not a tricky fight. In fact, let's get to discussing Soul Crystals now!

Soul crystals don't appear in all battles, but do show up semi-regularly from now on. Since they automatically revive leaders, healing becomes less of a priority.

The mission won't end unless your soul crystal is destroyed, so you could have everyone dead and be able to make a comeback. Not that having everyone dead would be a good place to be in, mind you, but since death isn't as big of a deal, a focus on offense and bruting your way to the foe's crystal is important.

In this battle, you need to keep summoning Espers, as they tend to die quickly as well, and need replenishing.

Enemy leaders are also automatically resurrected by their crystal, after a short period of time. Killing leaders as you go means they'll all be at the crystal by the end, and it can get thorny then.

I don't kill the white mage here, since they're the least threatening, and having them close to the Soul Crystal will make every other enemy leader who's going to spawn there harder to kill.

Soul Crystals change the approach you should take to battle significantly. Other ways things will change will be seen in future fights!

Bonus: If Ba'Gamnan isn't around, Llyud has something to say on the Soul Crystal's destruction!

Kinda dull compared to Ba'Gamnan. Doing the battle a second time, to find out this worthless little bite of info, my strategy was: Press X to select all party members, and tap the soul crystal. And it worked! I was kinda surprised it did work, but if you're having trouble on this mission, just charge wildly at the soul crystal and hope for the best!

Soundtrack: A Scheme (Little Villain)

"And who gave you the auracite in the first place?"

"You'll not get another bleedin' word outta me!"

"I'm going to enjoy this..."

"Fine, i'll tell ya what I know, which is little enough. We got the stone we used from a shady character called the Judge of Wings, ya follow? I don't know who or what she is, and that's the truth of it!"

"What would a judge from the Empire be doing here?"

"They wouldn't be doing anything here! Who said anything about the Empire, anyway? This Judge of Wings is all done up in armor with wings on the back, so that's what we call 'er, ya follow?"

"So who is she?"

"The Judge of Wings broke the barrier protecting Lemurés, and now she plans to invade Ivalice. She sits in judgement of all life... and death."

"What's this about invading Ivalice?"

"Shh! Don't give 'em any ideas!"

"Auralith?"

"Hey, get back here!"

Soundtrack: Shop Menu (Rabanastre Downtown)

"Did you see any of those sky pirates come this way?"

"Why didn't you stop him?"

"I'm not much of a fighter. No weapons, scarcely any muscle on me -- I'll pass."

"Look on the bright side. At least he's all right."

Soundtrack: Suspicion (Auditory Hallucination)

"The auraliths are the root of the power that sustains our world. It is said there are three such crystals. Their story begins many thousands of years ago, when the Eternal created this land."

"When He created Lemurés, He used the three auraliths to create a barrier to protect us. Feolthanos lives even now, standing watch over Lemurés, sheltering us from harm."

"He is the Eternal. He knows not death."

"I'm starting to see a pattern here."

"Is something wrong?"

"No, but we better get moving. You wanna keep the auraliths safe from the Judge of Wings, don'tcha?"

"The auraliths hold the power of the Eternal. They are the very foundation of Lemurés. They must be protected at all costs."

"Anybody trying to become a god's got his armor on too tight, if you ask me."

"Do you know where any of the auraliths are?"

"One, yes."

"A great cloudstone rises from the island to the west. The auralith is there."

By the way, here's the official artwork of Vaan and Penelo.

Phew.
So next time: Chapter 3 begins!

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 17, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So was that gargantuan statue supposed to be of the Judge of Wings, or did they just pan up to it for no reason?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Upon arriving at one of the sacred shrines of Lemurés, besieged by Sky Pirates causing havoc and destruction, Vaan says:

Wow, Vaan, you're the best protector this land has ever seen.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glazius posted:

So was that gargantuan statue supposed to be of the Judge of Wings, or did they just pan up to it for no reason?

Seeing as it doesn't look like the judge, I'd say that they just did it for dramatic effect.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #9: Savagery

New Folio entries:

Summoning Gates
  • History: To battle the many wild and unbound Yarhi they encountered, the ancient aegyl harnessed the Yarhi themselves. They called forth these Yarhi using sacred stones known as auracite. The portals through which they enter our world are summoning gates, doorways to the World of Illusion.
  • Lore: Lift up auracite and offer prayer. To the faithful shall I send armies of Yarhi that will pour forth as a great flood to down their enemies.
    - The Canon, Book of Calling, Canto III

Auracite
  • A variety of magicite -- a substance with which the reader is no doubt familiar -- peculiar to Lemurés. Auracite is but a small fragment of the much larger auraliths, of which there are three. These feature prominently in the lore and history of Lemurés.
  • Lore: Three auraliths have I sent upon this land. Protect them and the Stones they bear. For all auracite is born of the auraliths, and it is through these Stones I grant my power unto you.
    - The Canon, Book of Stones, Canto XII

Feolthanos the Eternal
  • God of the aegyl, said to have led them to Lemurés and then used the power of the auraliths to erect the great barrier that had stood for so many thousands of years. The aegyl believe he watches over them even now, inviolate before Time's ravages.
  • Lore: Know that my name is Feolthanos, He who laid open this land of Lemurés for you, My followers and people, the aegyl. Know that I ever stand above you, delivering you from harm. For I am the Undying, the Eternal.
    —The Canon, Book of Origins, Canto I

New Log Entry:

Log Check
  • I'm sure you'll do fine on your own, Kytes. Llyud, this log is for the entire crew, which you're now a member of, so write something when you have the time. That goes for you too, Vaan. Don't tell me you're too busy captaining to scribble something down!
    - Penelo

To the west, we've got a new area open! We'll head off there in a second, but first, let's... well, you know the drill.

"Could be bad for your health, aye."

"No, we're just taking a little break is all."

"Phew! I was gettin' worried."

"Don't forget what Penelo told you. There's more to all this than finding treasure."

"Right, right."

"What are you up to this time, Tomaj?"

"I'm hurt, Vaan. When have I ever been anything but a valued ally?"

"He dwells in the Keep of Forgotten Time. It lies in darkness, in a place not even our wings can reach."

"The Cache, Lemurés...they all have a connection with the eternal. Maybe she's looking for eternal life."

"Is that even possible? This talk about the Judge of Wings has me worried. Be careful, okay, Vaan?"

"-- (pant) I can't keep it all straight!"

"Sounds like you've got it down better than I do."

"You really think so? I don't know..."

With the Kisne Rise open, we can now land on Tormelados, Isle of the Megalith. Getting close to the landing point triggers a cutscene.

"What's the matter, Vaan?"

"Aren't you coming?"

"While we're busy here, what's to say some other sky pirates aren't off causing trouble somewhere?"

"That's actually a good point, Vaan. But we can't exactly be in two places at the same time."

Soundtrack: Shop Menu (Rabanastre Downtown)

"All right, let's get going!"

Soundtrack: World Map (Cerobi Steppe)

The notice board can wait for now. We've got a new button for Tomaj on the world map, but let's check out the Kisne Rise.

- Savagery: The Gilgamesh drops anchor at the Isle of the Megalith to stop the Judge of Wings from reaching to auralith, only to find a sky pirate attack already underway -

Soundtrack: Field 2 - Battle 2(State of Urgency)

"We're too late..."

"Not too late to help!"

- Objective: Defeat all enemy leaders. All aegyl must survive. At least one ally must survive. -

The aegyl are yellow arrows on the world map, naturally. Penelo will heal aegyl in trouble, like she'd heal anyone else, so if you're ever worried about an aegyl dying it's Penelo to the rescue!

After defeating the sky pirate badgering an Aegyl, they'll fly to the entrance point of the arena. Once they're back, they'll be officially saved, and they'll thank you and vanish.

The aegyl here won't take damage before your party approaches and they say their blurb. This is the last aegyl we'll get to, but he won't be hurt a hitpoint until we get close. Don't worry.

We should be rescuing aegyl in the order Vaan counted them in the prior cutscene, so our party kinda zigzags around the field. We're going to capture a summoning gate here, so don't forget to queue some new summons after it's captured.

Looks like I forgot to kill a goblin, and it chased this aegyl all the way back. Aww. The aegyl are fast, have a lot of HP, and it's pretty forgiving.

Kytes learned Bio last battle! Bio takes a bit longer to recharge than Firaga and Blizzara, and it doesn't do direct damage, but it adds the poison status ailment to your foes. Poison takes away 2% of an afflicted character's max HP per second, for 10 seconds. So I guess you could say that's 20% of foe's Max HP damaged away by Bio! That's not bad!

(The exclamation point's colour mucked up in the GIF, it's still meant to be red. My bad.)

Even though this seeq comes out of nowhere and intercepts this fleeing aegyl, he's slow, and the aegyl is fast so he shouldn't die. The seeq will be distracted by your party when they approach, so he's not too dangerous, but after he appears taking him out should still be priority #1.

Trying to solo these guys with Filo was dumb. Llyud's revive to the rescue. By the way, Llyud has a new ability, called Lancet. Activating Lancet will give Llyud's regular attacks a HP draining property for 20 seconds. Handy for recovering from using a Revive! Or just recovering in general, really. He drains 80% of the damage he inflicts with Lancet active, but there's an accessory you can get later which will change it to 100%

Lancet has a 40 second recharge time, which is very long. But it's effects last for 20 seconds, so it's effectively 20 seconds of recharge after it wears off.

Well, just gotta kill this last guy and...

Bonus: Aegyl death reel.

You fail the mission if even one aegyl dies, so I took these with screenshots with save states. A game over doesn't mean your game is over, you still get a few experience points from the battle you lost, and the option to retry or go back to the airship.

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village)

"And that's where the auralith is."

"You don't understand the kind of people we're dealing with here. All they care about is getting what they want. To them, it doesn't matter if people get hurt doing it."

"Why don't we let them on the airship to stay safe? Who knows if they'll get attacked again. Besides, there's plenty of room."

"That's a great idea."

"The ship's as much yours as it is ours. Maybe it'll give Penelo someone else to mother for a change."

Hey, I just remembered I haven't shown Llyud's official art yet either. Here you go!

Next time, let's see what Tomaj has got for us on his notice board.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Are Donga's eyes supposed to be black voids?

It's creepy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Petty Sky Pirate should've been the only one of the enemy leaders at Level 10. That would've made his flavor text make more sense.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's creepy.

Seeq are creepy in general. They're basically the secondary default evil race in the games, from what I've seen, aside from Bangaa.

Of course, there are good people from both races, but still.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's creepy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seeq are creepy in general. They're basically the secondary default evil race in the games, from what I've seen, aside from Bangaa.

Of course, there are good people from both races, but still.

Seeq are like bigger, dumber Bangaa. I wouldn't call them default evil, but they're predisposed to tedious and undignified work. And in this game, it mostly involves working for the baddies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So you're moving an entire lost race of dudes to your airship? That poo poo must be luxuriously appointed.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #10: Sidequests! Bug Hunt + Once Bitten, Twice Shy + Maleficent Mayhem + The Scofflaw

Dialogue on the airship doesn't change between side-missions, so we won't be reading the new dialogue there until the beginning of the next update. Tapping the new Tomaj icon on our world map gives us our sidequest menu.

Let's do these in order. First up's Bug Hunt!

Selecting a mission will automatically transport you to where it's taking place. Handy.

Soundtrack: Field 1 - Battle 1 (Giza Plains)

"Yeah, what's with all the bugs? Ick!"

"Now, be good little children and feed my pets for me! Hehehe..."

- Objective: Defeat all enemies! At least one ally must survive. -

These side missions are super-straightforward. Just don't forget to grab the treasure chest!

The hardest part is the huge pile of Antlions. But if you bring both your flying leaders, and some flying Espers, and victory is easy as. You should come here sooner than later, a weakened team might have trouble, and everything else on the map is pretty easy to pick off in comparison. If your characters have any buffs by this stage, using them before charging into the Antlions is a good idea!

"You'll be singing a sadder song when you encounter my next creation! But first, I must experiment! To the laboratory!"

"Hey! Get back here!"

"Bring on the bad guys, and the Auracite will follow!"

And that's the end of that!

Here's what our noticeboard looks like in our airship. Hmm. Noticeboard-y. By the way, I lied, and Tomaj has a new dialogue.

"I've already got some choice bits of information about the Windward Isles. It's all up on the notice board, so take a look when you get the chance."

We know, thanks. Let's get moving!

- Once Bitten, Twice Shy: Already word of these sky pirate's wrongdoing reaches my ears. They beleaguer a group of aegyl at the Fane of Gucuma Qul on the Windward Isles. Best hurry while there's still time. -

Soundtrack: Field 2 - Battle 2(State of Urgency)

"She won't stand down."

"But why fight? It doesn't make sense!"

- Objective: Capture the summoning gate! At least one ally must survive."

Aegyl fly, so ranged espers are helpful. Flying units and kinda neutral, and the aegyl use some melee espers (like Chocobo) so some flying Espers can help beat those.

The objective says to capture the summoning gate, but it actually means all four of them.

Since you'll murder everything on the way, it's not too different to a kill everything objective.

The last summoning gate is a bit tricky. Some tough espers defend the staircase up, there's an aegyl to knock out, and this gate spends the whole battle spitting out chocobo and would have spat out quite a lot by now. Take a bit of time to heal and beef up your esper supplies, don't just charge in.

"Once her guard was down, they wrought destruction on the shrine."

"So she thought we were playing the same trick."

"Not exactly."

"She said it was unbecoming of an aegyl to consort with sky pirates of any sort."

"Does that make you an outcast or something?"

"Perhaps."

"It doesn't matter. Either way, you're still one of us!"

- Maleficent Mayhem: Monsters block the way to the auracite at the Fane of Gucuma Qul. From what I can tell, the sky pirates are only making the situation worse. See that it doesn't grow more so. -

Soundtrack: Field 3 (Dalmasca Eastersand)

This isn't a very good esper troupe for this battle. There's more enemies weak to earth than fire, so I should have focused on earth more. I still win with it, but yeah, this troupe could have easily been better.

Unlike our first time here, the switches aren't active. Doesn't change anything really.

At the end, there's a bunch of enemies that will climb up these stairs and attack you. Set a trap up on the stairs to snare them all!

"I'll bet it's those sky pirates!"

"The nerve of those guys!"

"We'll just have to follow Tomaj's leads to get to the bottom of this."

"I'm sure they'll take us to the bottom of something."

Beating those last 3 missions unlocks a fourth one. Time to bring the little side plot in these sidequests to it's conclusion!

Soundtrack: Field 3 (Dalmasca Eastersand)

"A true sky pirate pillages and plunders as he pleases!"

"Well, then, why don't we settle this dispute in true pirate fashion!"

- Objective: Defeat all enemies! At least one ally must survive. -

This battle isn't too different from the previous battle fought in the Dais of the Auracite, even though we have another enemy leader, and no soul crystal. It's a bit trickier, but the soul crystal battle was so easy, it's hard not to be trickier than that.

One of our enemy leaders had died when I took this screenshot, a Viera archer, and where they were is now a star. There's two summoning gates here, and it's better to capture them both, to stop your foe from using them. The white mage is weak, and I didn't kill the white mage the last time I fought a battle here, so.

The second Viera archer is up the stairs between the two summoning gates, and likes to cast Vanish. Vanish will make her invisible on the map, so don't forget she exists. Vanish automatically comes off when she starts attacking.

Quaddo likes to come down and attack you when you climb the stairs the second Viera archer was defending, rather than waiting for you to get to him. You should just kill him when he comes for you. Don't forget to replenish your Espers as you do!

"But I guess there are plenty of thieves who call themselves sky pirates too."

"Nuh-uh! Tell him, Vaan!"

"That's why there are good sky pirates and bad ones. It's just a question of which you want to be, Kytes."

"I wanna be one of the good ones!"

"Just believe in yourself and the sky's the limit!"

"Er... right, something like that."

And with that, we've done all the sidequests available to us for now!

So, why do sidequests? You get things for hundred-percenting the game, and beating all the sidequests is part of that. In addition, you get EXP, so it allows you to level-up a bit. There are other ways to level, but they feel like grinding, and this doesn't so much. There's also a bit of character development and stuff you'd otherwise miss. All the usual reason you'd do sidequests in games, I s'pose.

We have him to thank for this diversion, so here he is! Tomaj's official art!

And next time, it's back to the main plot.

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 22, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sidequests are pretty fun and have nice flavor text. Getting 100% is painful, though. :negative:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Llyud looks so unhappy to be part of the crew.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

ok Amazing posted:

"You'll be singing a sadder dong when you encounter my next creation! But first, I must experiment! To the laboratory!"

Heh heh. You said dong.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

PopeCrunch posted:

Heh heh. You said dong.

Ha ha yeah but now the typo is edited, and thus the fact anyone saw it is edited out of reality.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #11: Rendezvous Round Back

New Folio Entries:

The Canon
  • History - A collection of inscriptions scattered throughout Lemurés believed to contain the words of Feolthanos. The Canon is the code by which the aegyl lead their lives. It details the origins of the auraliths and proscribes all contact with the outside world.
  • Lore - Herein inscribed are the words of He Who Leads, Feolthanos, the Eternal. Honor His words. Teach your children to honor them, and your children's children. In so doing, may you know peace.
    - Sacred Epigraph

Tormelados, Isle of the Megalith
  • History - The great skystone piercing the island cuts an imposing figure, but many are the sky pirate who have found respite on the slopes of the gently rolling hills in its eaves. An auralith sits enshrined in the island's fane, marking it for the sacred place it is to the aegyl.
  • Lore - I've not seen the like of the skystone that dominates the landscape here. The climate beneath the stone is cool and pleasant, and there is a great shrine -- small though it appears by comparison -- standing near its base. What treasures wait within?
    - Royal Society of Anthropology

New Logbook Entries:

Captain's First Log
  • Happy now? I'm writing! I don't think a log check should count as you entry. What am I supposed to write? 'Isle of the Megalith ahoy! Rudders full to port!'?
    - Vaan

Clouds Below
  • Rescued fellows from attack.
    In pursuit of sky pirates.
    We make for the fane.
    May the clouds be below us.
    - Llyud

That's it?
  • Is that all you can say, Llyud? There has to be something more you could write. We are your friends, after all.
    - Filo

Grand Opening
  • No need to bicker! If I don't see you at the grand opening of my shop, then we'll have something to argue about. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this...not literally, of course.
    - Tomaj

We have a new location, but also some shopping to do. So we're going to do the one that involves going back to the airship first.

"When did you find the time for that?"

"I'm a man of many resources. You should know that by now."

Let's see what he's got.

"Buying or selling, you've come to the right place."

You get a choice to buy, sell, or cancel. Let's take a look at what we can buy.

If you've been opening every treasure chest so far, as I have been, you should have every weapon and armour Tomaj is selling. Frankly, you should never have to buy a weapon from Tomaj. The not-unlocked-yet crafting system will always give you better, cheaper weapons.

Accessories are interesting though. As i've mentioned, they give buffs rather than direct stat boosts. Some accessories can be found in treasure chests, but some can only be brought here. Sprint Shoes are one of the first accessories you get, back in missions 2-1, the first mission we did on Lemurés. If you somehow missed them, you should seriously pick up a pair right now, and don't forget to equip them! You'll need them for the upcoming mission.

Let's go sell some stuff.

Since weapons become obsolete, stopping by and selling some you don't need should be routine. The main difference in this menu is that you can sell back materials.

Hey, look, I know menus are super-exciting, but we've gotta get back on track here. Let's talk to Tomaj!

"We've got aegyl crawling out of the woodwork."

"They're gonna be staying with us for a while. Just until we're sure they'll be safe."

"I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate? Maybe tell me who they are, or how they got here?"

"I'm sure a practiced streetear such as yourself should be able to piece it together."

"So now i'm supposed to investigate what my own friends are doing? This is a fine pass we've come to."

"Some say the Judge of Wings is Feolthanos come to walk among us. If this be true, we must not meddle in His affairs."

"Llyud's choice to befriend you is a puzzling one. Perhaps he fits in with your unlikely group."

"What's that supposed to mean, Vaan? When did I ever mother anyone?"

"Uh, when haven't you?"

"What!?"

"Take it easy, Penelo. It's not like it's a bad thing."

"The aegyl should be safe inside the airship now."

"Yeah. Who knows what would have happened if we hadn't found 'em when we did."

"We can't let things going like this. We have to do something about the sky pirates."

"Yes."

"So, what's the difference between auracite and an auralith?"

"The origin of auracite and the auraliths is the same. All auracite comes from the auraliths, and both were gifts given to Lemurés by the Eternal."

"In other words, the auraliths are just big pieces of auracite, right?"

"You might say that, yes. The Judge of Wings is gathering auracite and seeking the auraliths. To what end?"

"Yeah, I hope so. There's just so many of us now... Well, the more, the merrier."

"The more, the merrier! Are we going to fight the sky pirates again? I hope I'm not in the way..."

"Hey, not so fast, Filo. We gotta make sure we're ready first."

"I'm ready, already! Who's gonna stop those sky pirates if we don't?"

"Rushing off before we're ready will only make things worse."

"Okay, okay... So if you were the father, and Penelo were the mother, that'd make me the daughter!"

- Rendezvous Round Back: After saving the aegyl, the party heads for the shrine holding the auralith, but a watch has already been posted outside! How does Vaan plan to sneak past? -

Soundtrack: Dungeon 2 Field (Infiltration)

"Too many patrols."

"Are you crazy? You saw what they did to those aegyl!"

"Well, I don't hear any other ideas."

"You might have told us a little sooner."

"The entrance can only be opened by a switch inside the temple."

"Arrr..."

"By yourself? What if they catch you?"

"It's hardly the first time I've snuck inside a heavily guarded building. And if I go alone, there's less chance of getting caught."

"You guys head around to that secret entrance, and i'll meet ya there."

- Objective: Sneak into the temple! Vaan must survive. -

This mission can be a brick wall for some people, but the strategy is simple. Tap Vaan, tap the goal, cross your fingers that you don't get hit with an immobilising ability on the way. As long as you remembered the sprint shoes, it's that easy. You may have to brute-force your way, but you get exp even if you lose, so no sweat. If you're really having trouble, go around the outside of the arena, not right through the middle. No treasure chests here contain missable items, so feel free to skip them.

If you're not feeling confident about your level, you should go gain a few now. The main way to get levels outside of doing sidequests are melee battles. After completing the story missions in an area, you get the option to battle the indigenous monsters there. I'm not going to show the melee battles, as they're not interesting. They're fairly generic, no cutscenes wrapping them, and bland. Enemies in melee battles do scale to your level, and you can mine materials from melee battles, so they're for grinding levels only pretty much. So i'll still be doing them, just off screen.

But because this update is a bit short, i'm going to post the video of the melee battle in the Bosco Pampa. This won't be a regular thing, it's just in case you wanted to know what the battles looked like in motion.
Click here for the video

Next time: We go inside the temple.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Here's where I realized that this is a bad game, rather than just a mediocre one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This mission angered me so much, because I was OCD about collecting those treasure chests, but Vaan kept getting killed. :argh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't remember if you've gone over this, but does this game have a "line of sight" system allowing you to sneak around? Because putting a sneaking mission in a game that doesn't allow for sneaking seems... ill conceived.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't remember if you've gone over this, but does this game have a "line of sight" system allowing you to sneak around? Because putting a sneaking mission in a game that doesn't allow for sneaking seems... ill conceived.

It does - with careful waiting you can move Vaan past the first few patrols unnoticed. Getting the treasures on the other side is difficult, however, since the patrols are more erratic.

I usually just go for the goal early. The only things worth in the chests are another Auracite and an armour upgrade for Penelo.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This mission angered me so much, because I was OCD about collecting those treasure chests, but Vaan kept getting killed. :argh:

If you grind Melee battles, you can make it with all the treasure chests. But drat, still must have taken a while. At least you'd be in good shape for future battles!

Schwartzcough posted:

In addition to what ApplesandOranges said, combat seems inevitable, because of large lines of Viera archers right on the path. You also gotta turn off your Gambits, if Vaan has duel attack as a Gambit, he'll use it on a foe when you walk near. :sigh: This game isn't made for sneaking.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nothing hurts quite so much as a mission in a game that wasn't designed to support it at all.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #12: The Crystal's Cry + Judge of Wings

New logbook entries:

Security
  • When Vaan let us into the shrine, the auralith was out in the open, just asking to be stolen. The aegyl sure are trusting.
    - Kytes

An East Wind
  • Strong winds worry at my wings in spite of fair weather today. I know of no aegyl who would steal as the sky pirates do.
    - Llyud

Memories
  • Sneaking into the shrine the other day reminded me of breaking into the palace. I'd never have met Balthier and Fran if it wasn't for that. Now we're practically inseparable! Practically....
    - Vaan

"Best make your peace now. Hrah!"

"There are other aegyl who have fled here for shelter. Tomaj is showing them around the airship."

"The sky pirate mumbling to himself has been staring at us."

"The question is, what?"

"Better be careful, Vaan."

"It is the most direct way there."

"We owe you one, Llyud. I don't think we'd have found a way without you. You can leave the rest to us. We won't let anything happen to the auralith."

"Why are you doing this?"

"The auralith - it's important to you, right? That's good enough for me."

"To protect the auralith is our sacred duty. It is the will of the Eternal. The auralith is deep inside the temple. Are you ready to search for it?"

"We need you to be there for us, Vaan."

"Don't worry, Penelo. I know what i'm doing. Besides, even if something did happen, you'd still be here to mother everyone."

"Hmph! Just remember, we have to look after Filo and Kytes. So try not to do anything stupid."

"Maybe you should sit this one out. Y'know, stay here and get some rest."

"Rest!? We're sky pirates! What good is a sky pirate resting inside an airship? You don't need to worry about me, Vaan. Now let's hurry up and find that auralith!"

- The Crystal's Cry: Having slipped past the watch, the party continues toward the inner chambers of the shrine in search of the auralith. What they find is beyond imagination. -

Soundtrack: Dungeon 4 Field - Dungeon 4 Battle (An Imminent Threat)

- Objective: Defeat all enemy leaders. At least one ally must survive. -

The purple level II esper our foes have is Carbuncle. They're the upgraded version of white hares, and can provide some serious healing! You'll need to kill them first, or they'll keep topping up your foes HP.

Across the field from our starting point is the Spoony sky pirate, the white mage of the enemy team.

They have a few espers defending them, but not enough to be a challenge. Two of the espers are Carbuncle, and so once all the espers who can attack are dead, these guys can't do anything to you.

Some enemy espers come around the corner from the summoning gate our foes control, but they're pretty whatever.

These big-eared espers are the Cait Sith of this game. They're pretty cute, but sadly, they have to die.

We can take out the Regretful sky pirate here, but the Unscrupulous mechanist will run off.

Capture the summoning gate and summon more espers, take a bit of a break to bulk up your forces.

In this corner, the summoning gate will mostly spit out Carbuncle. You have to thin their numbers, perhaps even kill them all, before you go for the leaders.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Field (The Beginning of the End)

"Small wonder the barrier has fallen. What manner of device is this?"

"I don't know, but you can bet the Judge of Wings is behind it."

"Um, Vaan? Something's headed this way."

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

"Together we will find the two remaining auraliths. You will have all the auracite you want and more."

"And what of Ivalice? Under my dominion, I could grant your every wish."

"I already told you, we're not interested."

"(chuckle) Sky pirates are ever creatures of avarice and greed. Perhaps you, too, seek the Eternal?"

"Did you say "eternal"?"

"See for yourselves the true face of greed."

Soundtrack: Balthier's Theme (Destiny)

"But you, my dear, poison yours. You've no sense of fair play."

"Your 'eternity' is an illusion."

"Our desire for the Eternal is the desire to become undying. Ask, and I can make eternity a reality for you."

"All this talk of dreams and desire - I'm like to take you for a lover, not a foe."

"It's time you opened your eyes to reality."

"Not this day."

"I set him free - free of life's burdens."

"These tricks you're playing on us, these things you're showing us - I don't believe any of it!"

- Objective: Defeat the Judge of Wings. At least one ally must survive. -

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 2 (Desperate Fight)

"Who do you think you're talkin' to?"

The Judge of Wings starts up near Shiva, but will quickly rush over to engage your party.

This is near the second summoning gate, and she's already here! Smarter players would camp at the start until she came up and attacked, but it's not a hassle fighting her here. After defeating her, the objective changes a little!

- Objective: Defeat Shiva. At least one ally must survive -

Capture the nearby summoning gate, and sure up your numbers.

Shiva is behind Sirens and Goblins, Flying and Melee espers. She herself is Ranged, meaning it's a bit messy getting in there. Send Vaan (and/or Ba'gamnan, if you're using him here) to attack Shiva, after distracting the other Espers with other characters.

Shiva is also weak to Fire, so use Fire Espers on her. As a warning, most Fire Espers are weak to Water, which is Shiva's element, so distract Shiva with another unit. Kytes' Firaga is also helpful here!

Don't forget to top up your Espers! You can lure Shiva over on top of the summoning gate, then summon Espers she's weak to from under her, if you want.

Soundtrack: Sad (White Room)

"I... I just don't know."

"Don't know what?"

"How should I act?"

"Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes there is no right way to act."

"Well, what's everybody standin' around for? We've got a judge to catch!"

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 26, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I played Revenant Wings before looking into the story of XII (dumb, I know), but this chapter here really made me like Balthier. You've got this ridiculously powerful mage in armor, and he flirts with her instead of taking her seriously.

Additionally, Shiva is rather flirtatious in her appearances lately. Winking at Vaan here and flirting with Firion in Dissidia.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Balthier was, and always is, the best character.

But back to that sneaking mission. While the chests have nothing missable, one of them has a pouch for Kytes which nets you additional items at the end of the battle. It's not that great to be honest, but I remember there were a few that were fairly helpful.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I played Revenant Wings before looking into the story of XII (dumb, I know), but this chapter here really made me like Balthier. You've got this ridiculously powerful mage in armor, and he flirts with her instead of taking her seriously.

Additionally, Shiva is rather flirtatious in her appearances lately. Winking at Vaan here and flirting with Firion in Dissidia.

I played RW first too, so no worries! I also found Balthier pretty cool, it's hard not to. The subtleties of his body language in FFXII can't really be recreated in itty-bitty sprites though, but since i've played FFXII now, I can imagine it in the sprites.

SSNeoman posted:

Balthier was, and always is, the best character.

But back to that sneaking mission. While the chests have nothing missable, one of them has a pouch for Kytes which nets you additional items at the end of the battle. It's not that great to be honest, but I remember there were a few that were fairly helpful.

That item is also available from Tomaj, so unless there's anything super duper cool in between the sneaking missions and Tomaj selling it (and I don't think there is), then there's no reason not to buy it later.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Balthier is amazing. Vaan's pretty cool too, but drat if it don't seem like everybody's got some ancient lost stone of power these days.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #13: Backstabbing Bangaa.

New Folio entries:

Astral Crystal
  • History - Exceptionally rare and powerful pieces of auracite entrusted to the faithful after long hours of vigil and prayer. These crystals mark their bearers as devoted servants of the Eternal, and through Him, enable them to fortify the Yarhi at their command.
  • Lore - Should you seek powers surpassing even the Yarhi, look once more to the auraliths. To the chosen among you shall I give Stones of peerless might.
    -The Canon, Book of Calling, Canto VIII

The Judge of Wings
  • History - The mysterious figure behind the sky pirates' search for auracite. Little is known of this so-called judge's identity or motives, though there are whispers that the Judge of Wings plans an assault on Ivalice.
  • Lore - I hear her in my mind. Behind my eyes. Her words a siren song to me. Attack Ivalice? Never! And yet... I cannot do otherwise. I am powerless to stop.
    -A Sky Pirate's Lament

New Logbook entries:

Preparations
  • Business has been brisk, and I've thought of a good use we can put the sky saloon to. I've also taken in a stray Yarhi. I think there may even be a place for it in my plans.
    -Tomaj

Master Artificer
  • Master Tomaj, I must object to you calling me 'it'. I am a master artificer, and you cannot expect to receive my services if I am not treated with the proper respect.
    -Cu Sith, Master Artificer

Worried
  • So are we going to fight the Judge of Wings? The one Balthier couldn't even beat?
    -Kytes
  • I'd give Balthier a little more credit. Wouldn't you agree, Vaan?
    -Penelo

The game automatically sends you onto the next mission and... woah! Three missions in a row without an airship break? Really?

If you pause the game, you can exit back to the world map, among other things. Since the game automatically sends you into this mission, the only way you can see the in-between mission airship chat is by quitting after it's begun! Then, it can be selected from the world map like any other mission. This chat is easy to miss, so let's get to it!

"I wouldn't write off Balthier just yet."

"Who asked you? You keep to your affairs, and i'll keep to mine."

"If the auralith lies broken, that, too, is the will of the Eternal."

"The auralith is destroyed? Then such is our fate. Why struggle against it?"

"They tell me you can use something called astral power to strengthen Yarhi during battle."

"I think we found something like that in the auralith chamber."

"Why am I always the last to hear about these things?"

"Don't ask me. You're the 'streetear'."

"I go out of my way to help, and this is the thanks I get. The aegyl didn't seem too concerned when I told them what happened to the auralith. They do care, right?"

"Who can blame him? Something important to him was destroyed right in front of his eyes."

"What does this mean for Lemurés? What do we do now?"

"We'll figure out something."

"Right. It's been a while since I had to cook for so many people. I hope it turns out okay!"

"Just wanted to see how you were doing. Try not to think about it too much."

"..."

"Me, I spend all my time worrying about what to do, and end up not doing anything."

"I mean, everybody has doubts about stuff, but you can't let 'em get in the way. With all these aegyl onboard, the bridge is getting kinda crowded. Not that it bothers me. But I wonder what the aegyl think of all this."

Alright, so, back to our mission... let's do this from the top.

Soundtrack: A Scheme (Little Villain)

"Addled of wit from playing at pirates with the wee ones, aye."

"We're done followin' you, my brother. No more will we come running at your beck and call."

"We have to stop them."

Kytes can be helpful for crowd-control, as a lot of enemies attack in groups. However, a lot of enemies are of the melee type, which makes him less effective, so I choose not to bring him. Ba'Gamnan must join you for this battle, as indicated by the little lock next to his icon.

The level III esper that Ba'Gamnan's siblings have is Tiamat. She is a ranged unit, of the thunder element. She is weak to Earth. My level II esper is Golem, who is a melee Earth type, to counter her. Bombs are also dangerous and prominent in this battle though, and some people prefer an pick a level II esper to control them instead. Kytes Blizzard can also thin their numbers efficiently.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Field - Dungeon 3 Battle (The Beginning of the End)

- With the astral crystal in your possession, you can use the Fortify Esper command at any summoning gate. As time passes, the crystal accumulates astral power (AP) which you can spend to increase the level of your Espers for a short time. -

Right in front of you, is a line of bombs. It's tempting to charge straight in, but that's the wrong idea!

...because one of the Bangaa will try and take the nearby summoning gate away from you! Foes can steal summoning gates off you, as you can steal gates off them. If you're off fighting Bombs while this guy is taking your gate, things will get thorny. Camp around the summoning gate until the Bangaa tries to grab it, and deal with the Bombs after you've dealt with him.

Now we're a bit into battle, you can see the AP system at work. On the top screen, you can see your AP accumulating over time, and up to five crystals at once can be held. These are spent to fortify your Espers, each fortification raising an Esper's level by one for the duration of the battle. The first fortification for an Esper costs one AP, the second one costs two, and so on. This battle, I am going to focus on fortifying Golem and the White Hares.

Bwagi teams up with Tiamat. Level III espers like Tiamat, or Shiva from the last battle, are as strong as party leaders, and have a few abilities to their name. Tiamat has Plasma Storm, which hits a radius of targets for a fair bit of damage. She also has Mighty Guard, which casts Protect and Shell on herself and her allies within range, those being two buffs reduce the amount of physical and magical damage taken respectively. If Tiamat uses Mighty Guard before you engage her, wait for it to wear off before engaging.

I keep Llyud out of the skirmish, because as a flying type, he's weak to Tiamat. He's also the only one on the party who can revive the fallen, so if he dies, the battle becomes a lot harder.

The summoning gate here is protected by not much. Take it, regroup, and have a breather. You've cleared half the field. Now onto the second half!

Here's what's left on our overhead map, entering this part of the battle, and... Tiamat? Again?
If you do take a break, Tiamat may be summoned, but to Rinok's side. As far as i've seen, you'll only have to fight Tiamat twice in this battle, she won't be re-summoned after she dies here.

"A gift from your new masters?"

"You'll rue the day you turned on me!"

The second skirmish with Tiamat and one of Ba'Gamnan's siblings is no different than the first. It might be a bit easier, if you've been fortifying your Espers!

There's a summoning gate right behind Rinok. I think it's better to wait until after you've beaten her to capture it.

A row of bombs is protecting Gijuk. I coax them into exploding, sacrificing Filo and Ba'Gamnan in the process. It's ok, Llyud can revive them. There may be better ways for dealing with bombs, but keep Llyud out of the skirmish, for the same reasons as before, you may need him to revive others!

Gijuk's AI gets him stuck behind the Carbuncle for a while here. Oops. So um... don't forget the material node here!

The Carbuncle are very dangerous right now, because they can heal so much of your foe's HP, it can easily null the damage you're doing. With Penelo healing you, it can end up a stalemate. To avoid this, once Gijuk has had his spiel, lure him down and away from his summoning gate.

Once he's further away, then engage him. Some Carbuncle may follow, but enough to pick off.

"We'd best get whilst the gettin' be good!"

Bonus: Ba'Gamnan can't talk to his siblings if he's seeing stars! Here's the alternative dialogue.

Vaan is the one to talk to Gijuk, so what happens if Vaan is unavailable?

"The Judge of Wings has gone to the skysea, and you'll not be followin' her!"

And that's all!

Soundtrack: Dungeon 4 Field (An Imminent Threat)

"We're gonna go after that Judge of Wings, right? That means we have to fight her. But Balthier tried, and look what happened to him."

"I wouldn't worry about him."

"She's using sky pirates to find these auraliths for her, so she can take over Ivalice and all."

"Then we just have to make sure she doesn't get them."

"Right now only one of the auraliths is gone, so the barrier's still there, right? But what would happen to Lemurés if the barrier went away completely?"

"It's reasonable to assume it was put in place for some purpose."

"But things like this, they give you a chance to look inside yourself. And that's where you find hope. For one thing, i'm sure Balthier's still alive. Vaan said as much, and i'm sure he's right."

"..."

Soundtrack: Main Theme

"We'll look for her first."

"There is an island to the east that holds a great skysea. Perhaps this is the place they spoke of."

"Then that's where we're goin'!"

I think I spotted a new character named in the logbook, so next time, let's find out who they are. Let's find the Judge of Wings! Let's find Balthier! Let's find the skysea! Hmm... maybe we won't find all these things, but better get lookin'!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Skysea, huh? I wonder if we're going to get some ship-to-ship battles. That might be fun.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Just caught up with the thread and I gotta say, this Revenant Wings has a lot more charm then I was expecting. FFT/TA and XII were some of my favorite games in the series but for some reason I never picked RW up and I've yet to get more then 30% through FFTA2. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds and the little nods it makes here and there to the other Ivalice games.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It seems a little weird that the game had you fight the Judge of Wings so early, and that beating her wasn't even the victory condition of the level. Normally boss-types would give you a forced loss at this point in the game. So my theory is that the Judge of Wings will quickly be replaced as the Big Bad with an even more sinister villain.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Aristide posted:

Just caught up with the thread and I gotta say, this Revenant Wings has a lot more charm then I was expecting. FFT/TA and XII were some of my favorite games in the series but for some reason I never picked RW up and I've yet to get more then 30% through FFTA2. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds and the little nods it makes here and there to the other Ivalice games.

I'm about 10 hours into FFTA2, and the thing holding me back is how slowly the story is moving. I was enjoying it, it improved a lot of things gameplay-wise over FFTA, but the slow story makes things feel a bit more boring than they really are. But i'll have to go back to it sometime.

While we're talking about FFTA2 actually, Vaan makes a cameo in that game. His design in the game looks like this:

I'm pretty sure he also has this outfit as an alt costume in Dissidia, if that's anyone's scene. The thing I want to point out though, is the ornament around his waist, that resembles the wings of the airship in this game. It's a pretty cool nod from FFTA2, to this game, and I was looking for an excuse to mention it. Thankyou!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ok Amazing posted:

While we're talking about FFTA2 actually, Vaan makes a cameo in that game.

Penelo and Al-Cid, too.

ok Amazing posted:

I'm pretty sure he also has this outfit as an alt costume in Dissidia, if that's anyone's scene.

He does indeed.

• Locked thread