Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Schwartzcough posted:

Remember kids: enslaving someone under threat of torture is perfectly fine, as long as he's one of those dirty "lesser races."

Remember kids...

Kids? Kids?! Oh... oh no.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Really, what we need is playable Miguelo. He has the awesome-est voice in FF12, too (John DiMaggio!). I wish he was playable in Revenant Wings or even Tactics Advanced 2 (he DOES show up in some of the mission logs there!).

Migelo would be pretty cool! Since RW expanded the roles of a alot of the Rabanastre cast, Filo, Kytes, and Tomaj, it's a shame they didn't do it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Actually, on that note. I feel like Migelo could have filled Tomaj's role of Merchant/Skyship organizer just as easily. And certainly Migelo had a larger presence than Tomaj did in FF12.

That doesn't actually give us a playable Bangaa, but it does round out the cast diversity a bit.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

You're right though. There needs to be more heroic Bangaa in the Ivalice universe. I can so far only recall the Clan Centurio Bangaa who helps you take down Ba'Gamnan and other hunts in FFXII. And he isn't even voiced!

Actually, Monid did get a voice in that confrontation with Ba'Gamnan in FFXII. Granted, it was only two lines, but it was still voiced. And now I kind of wish there had been some sort of prequel so we could see Migelo in his prime; maybe he would have been playable at that age.

While we're on the topic of bad guys, it felt like the bangaas were generally shown in a bad light here because the writers couldn't find any other B-List villain from FFXII (not that there were many to begin with) and yet were too lazy to come up with additional new villains like that Judge of Wings.

At least Raz is here to fill up our good Bangaa quota for the time being, even if he wasn't playable.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Wait, Raz is a Bangaa?!

How did I miss this? I think I just kinda assumed he was some sort of sentient parrot monster...

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #20: Filo in a Bind

New logbook entry:

Despicable
  • Of all the underhanded treachery! That spineless snake Ba'Gamnan thinks he can get back at us by taking Filo? Mark my words - he'll pay for this! Make him pay for this, Vaan!
    - Tomaj

Soundtrack: World Map (Cerobi Steppe)

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"Better stock up on implements of death and destruction for this one."

Alright, enough mucking around, let's go save Filo!

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword)

"I think there's something wrong with her. We'd better hurry!"

"Can't sink much lower than that."

"Arr, aye. Incorrigible."

"What say you lend us a hand rescuing her?"

"If they were to scratch our backs, I see no reason we might not return the favour."

"Am I not right?"

"Right you are! This is no common foe. That's Ba'Gamnan you ask us to take to task!"

"We'll need just compense for danger such as this."

- Objective: Defeat Ba'Gamnan! At least one ally must survive. -

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword) continues to play throughout the battle.

Our foes either have no weakness, or are weak to earth. There are Wyvern espers, who are fire elemental, and thus have the upper hand against most all Earth espers, but a neutral esper like Diabolos or even Kytes' magic can take them out.

Despite preamble, there is no treasure here. Usual stuff by now.

There are three summoning gates, one of them being behind Ba'Gamnan.

And Filo is near the summoning gate behind Ba'Gamnan!

The level is winding with many ways through it, but first, I start with the north-west summoning gate. Rikken and crew follow behind.

Then, over to the south-east gate.

Flying espers can soar over lava.

About this time, the fight is interrupted by...

"Mayhap a smaller prize would raise spirits more, my brother."

"A fine idea, that! A distraction, then, to get like the upper hand!"

I can't say I know precisely what triggers the cutscene, but it doesn't matter too much.

Here's another look at the map, the bangaa are the arrows to the west. For now, listen to Rikken, and let them handle the bangaa.

Finish capturing the south-east summoning gate. You could potentially not capture it, but as always capturing it stops it from summoning enemy espers. Which is why I nabbed it.

Once captured, let's see how Rikken's crew is doing. Not very well at this, it appears.

Luckily, Llyud can revive them all. There's no harm in leaving them dead, except they can kill enemy espers alright. From my impressions, it appears they're a lot more frail in this fight than the previous two.

Gwaji likes to poison your units, so don't forget Penelo has esunaga. Once those three are dead, time to head up to Ba'Gamnan.

"Hang on, Filo! We're almost there!"

My fight with Ba'Gamnan gets a bit hectic here, but remember the goal is just to kill him. If you can beat him in a damage race, you can ignore the espers flanking him, maybe. The point is...

Soundtrack: Pleasant Conversation (Clan Headquarters)

"Seems like whatever I do I just end up getting into trouble. Always runnin' off half-cocked... Maybe I should just head back to Rabanastre."

"Filo, don't say that."

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

"I mean, sure, you cause a lot of trouble, but no more than the rest of us. I don't know what i'd do if you weren't here. I really don't think we'd have made it this far without you. Really!"

"True, true. Without that, this is a regular job at our regular fee. What were that again?"

"One million gil."

"And with the bounty on this one's head, we'll dine well tonight!"

"A bit frayed 'round the edges. I hope the bounty were not frayed to match."

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 2 (Desperate Fight)

"Ahhh!"

"It's the Judge of Wings, it has to be!"

"The Judge of Wings?"

"Just like the time we saw that vision of Balthier. (pant pant)"

"Nothing."

"We'd better go take a look."

With Filo safe, let's hope she (and the rest of our party) is up for another showdown with the Judge of Wings next time! But will it go any better than our first?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

I don't quite understand why Gijuk and the others show up to help Ba'Gamnan? Weren't they all about mutiny not that long ago?

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I think maybe they showed up to kill him themselves? But the dialogue could go either way, so it's hard to say.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tsk, so much casual bangaa racism from a group that includes a bangaa. I feel sorry for Raz.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Doesn't the Judge have it out for the aegyl in particular? Why are the humes the only ones affected?

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Schwartzcough posted:

Tsk, so much casual bangaa racism from a group that includes a bangaa. I feel sorry for Raz.

Not to mention potential bangaa cannibalism!

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

New title: Politics are boring, but FF12:RW needs a Bangaa Rights Activist Movement

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #21: Rite of Despair

New logbook entry:

Insecure
  • I barely remember being taken, but now that I'm back on the ship I'm sort of scared. Not so much of Ba'Gamnan as the Judge of Wings. But everything'll be fine, right, Vaan?
    - Filo

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

Now Filo's back, we also have a new memento.

"Don't be. It's not your fault."

"I guess... But I won't let it happen again, I promise! And if it does, i'll take matters into my own hands."

"I'm sure you can take care of yourself. But we'll always be around if you need us."

"But if the Judge of Wings is down there waiting for us, I don't think this is the time to celebrate."

"If I were you, I wouldn't leave the ship until I was ready for a fight."

This is some good advice from Tomaj. Our next fight will feature a lot of fire element enemies, something we haven't seen much since level II espers became commonplace for us to use. It's possible you'll have very few unlocked. Cu Sith can craft you some water-element weapons from the Secondary Principles book. Tomaj also has an armour, the ruby chestplate, which resists fire and is highly recommended for Vaan. Go nab these things!

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"I guess we have to be ready for anything."

"So why are you all so quiet? What's gotten into everyone?"

"I wonder how similar the senses of hume and aegyl are..."

"Those feelings...what was that?"

- Rite of Despair: Ba'Gamnan is defeated with the help of Rikken and friends, and Filo is back safe and sound. But they don't have long to stop and rest, as a new darkness gathers...

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

"This is no auralith. Auracite, yes, but no more than that."

"So we're in the wrong place."

"What's that?"

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper)

- Defeat Belias, the Gigas! At least one ally must survive. -

If i'm not mistaken, Belias is our first story-quest foe with over 200 strength. An oddity of damage calculation in this game, is that for every 200 points of strength or magick you have you get an additional base stat multiplier. 1-199 attack has a x1 multiplier, 200-399 gets a x2 multiplier, and 400+ gets you a x3 multiplier. To put it in practical terms, Belias is about 70 strength points over most of my units, but is ridiculously strong compared to them due to the multiplier.

The only ranged level II water espers are Shivar, who are strong against most fire espers, but are also weak to fire. In this fight, Sagittarius is fairly neutral when it comes to elements. As a lightning element who's weak to earth, Sagittarius won't hit any foe's weakness and won't get their weakness hit. Their gambit is good too, so rather than a frail Shivar, i've chosen Sagittarius.

On my ring of pacts, i'm at the stage I could unlock level III espers. I won't be, at least not for this mission, because i'm low on water level II espers. You'll also notice some cracked circles on the Ring of Pacts around level III espers. These are espers that need to be unlocked first through story missions, before you can use your auracite to unlock them. Belias is one of them!

"Just stay calm, and take 'em down one at a time!"

There are two ways to do this mission. You can go slow, and capture all the summoning gates. Or you can go fast, only taking the center gate, and taking on Belias from there.

(Obviously I added the captions to this map) I will be doing things the fast way. Belias can be a bit unfair, and the fast way lets you repeat the mission quicker if you lose. The Djinn and Bombs won't become aggressive doing things the fast way either.

If you were doing things the slow way, you'd nab the gate guarded by Djinn first. The fast way only captures the middle gate, but first you need to clear the monsters away from it.

Start capturing is as soon as it's safe to do so, as you might need reinforcements.

Lamia from either side will become aggressive and move in to attack. Summon reinforcements and take them out.

A wave of Lamia will spawn by Belias, and come for you. Defeat them.

Another group of Lamia will stop you before Belias. If you're doing things the slow way, you could capture the summoning gate to the east now. Watch out for the bombs though!

At level 18, everyone is learning their fourth ability. Penelo has learned War Dance, which buffs attack. Use it, or Mystic Dance, to buff before engaging Belias.

Kytes' Blizzara makes a good opener.

Spam Kytes' magicks here, the fight might quickly grow too chaotic to really know what's going on!

Belias' Firaja can wipe out your level I and II Espers in one blow. This is why he can be a bit unfair. Filo didn't survive it though. Since Belias is a ranged unit, Filo and Llyud as susceptible to dying.

I'd managed to put enough damage on him to finish him off shortly after the Firaja, but there is a bit of luck to getting this down. Buffs and the right equipment can tip the odds in your favour, so it's not all luck, just come prepared and recognize luck might screw you over sometimes.

- Pyroclasm deals massive damage to all foes in a given area. You can use quickenings when the Mist Charge gauge is full. New quickenings become available as you defeat certain bosses. -

Quickenings are a returning mechanic from FFXII, and are comparable to other FF special attack staples like limit breaks or desperation attacks. Since this game has no MP meter, mist charges increase through different means, which vary for every character. I'll explain Vaan's better when I can demo it in a battle.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

Official art of Belias:

Next time, we'll find out what state our airship is in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How did Udgey summon Belias? Shouldn't he be pacted with Vaan and Co.? I recall hearing he was a story mode boss in XII.

And since when is Bahamut a Dragoon? That's kind of ironic. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 31, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, it's nice how they try to keep the "mechanics" of the world the same between XII and this game by keeping the Quickenings and Espers and such. It's a little weird to have mandatory story Espers suddenly be on the loose again, though. And it's a little strange to have classic FF summon monsters thrown into the mix in monster form instead of Airship form.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In the case of the latter, you can always look at it as the Ivalician ships being named after the Yahri.

Then again, that would require the people from Ivalice to know about the secret flying ruins in the sky.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Given the whole thing where you can summon the Espers in FFTA2, plus this, I always thought that while the pact-symbol from FFXII was one (and the main) way of summoning the Espers, it didn't necessarily make it the only one.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
The yarhi and espers are different things. The terminology is a bit confusing and the game flips between the two a lot, I think the game explained this early on but let me explain again.

When Vaan first started using these creatures, they resembled espers, so the group called them espers. The aegyl, however, call them yarhi. Yarhi are summoned from the World of Illusion, and are not the same creatures as the espers who appear in Ivalice. They resemble the monsters and espers from Ivalice, but they aren't.

The espers of the original FFXII are also known as scions, so they're definitely different. Maybe esper is just a word for things you can summon, and scions and yarhi are different sorts of espers? Maybe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ivalice as a whole seems to have several different types of summoning. The Scions themselves have been summoned in three different ways (XII, TA2 and RW), and both Tactics A2 and Revenant Wings have a separate type of summon from them (both the Yahri here and the normal Summons in TA2, which may or may not be the same kind of Summon used in the rest of the Tactics series).

It's likely this Belias is not the same as the Belias of XII (which is, however, likely to be the same Belias/Velius of Tactics, same for the rest of the Scions and Lucavi), but rather, like ok Amazing said, a being from the World of Illusion that has taken that form (why beings from that world take the form of monsters and Scions from Ivalice, I have no idea). These illusionary beings may or may not be the same as the Summons used in the Tactics series, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gonna don on my xii lore hat here.
All the espers in the xii are scions. But from what i understand the texts describing their status as godlike creatures is a bunch a phooey.

Only things that you can trust in ivalice are the musings of streetears and the diaries of the recently deceased.

Soooo think of them as SMT demons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Prythian posted:

Given the whole thing where you can summon the Espers in FFTA2, plus this, I always thought that while the pact-symbol from FFXII was one (and the main) way of summoning the Espers, it didn't necessarily make it the only one.

So maybe it's the same Belias getting summoned a different way. Now I'm imagining Vaan see Belias gets summoned here, cocking an eyebrow, and trying to summon Belias himself only to get his voicemail.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #22: The Man in the Jungle

Soundtrack: Suspicion (Auditory Hallucination)

"Here we are, hot on the judge's trail, and this happens."

"Summoning that Esper named Bahamut, wasn't she?"

"But there was more. The summoning gate was already active."

"I saw him too. Do you think he helped us escape?"

"It couldn't have been Ba'Gamnan. Maybe Rikken?"

"I don't think it was him, either."

"What about all the aegyl who lived there?"

"I'm sorry, Llyud."

"Sorry we couldn't stop her."

"Do not apologize. It was destined to happen."

"Destined? What do you mean, 'destined'? How can you stand there and make excuses for what happened? Show some emotion for once!"

- We must struggle against the environment if we are to survive. Our first order of business is the procurement of foodstuffs. I am tasked also with repairs of our ship, and the recording of our plight. I mustn't let the others know that keeping these journals has become something of a pastime for me... -

We have three possible areas to explore. Obviously, the Guguerro Greendeep is where our next mission is. You can fight a melee battle at the Zwaua Rainforest, if you're feeling a bit low on experience. The airship and notice board functions have vanished from the interface, so we can't do side missions right now.

Maybe we can go and patch things over with Llyud.

"You don't seem too concerned. Doesn't anything get under your skin?"

"Under my... skin?"

"Yeah, it means - aw, never mind."

"...You humes are quick to anger. What is it that makes us so different?"

"That won't leave Cu Sith much time to craft anything, but i'm sure you'll manage. Oh, and if you need to lay in some supplies, i'm still open for business."

There are a few new things at Tomaj's shop, including an accessory which increases mist accumulation. Let's have a chat to Tomaj for now.

The sky pirates have been pitching in with the repairs. They get a roof over their heads, and we get free labour. Everybody wins.

"And why aren't you helping out with the repairs?"

"I have... other tasks to keep me busy. A man has to keep his secrets! You'd be surprised how quiet things get on a deserted island. Looks like the notice board is going to be out of work for a while."

"Well, i'm through yelling now. Are you happy?"

"I just don't think you should be so hard on Llyud. You, of all people, should know what it's like to lose family and friends."

"Yeah... Yeah, I know."

"What is it, Kytes?"

"Is everything gonna be okay? Nothing's gonna change, right? I hope it'll be like this forever."

"I hope so too. That's why we need to watch out for each other. It looks like we're going to be here for a while."

"Are we in trouble?"

"Something like that."

"What if no one finds us? What'll happen to us then?"

"We'll find a way to get outta here. Somehow..."

"Have you seen the log book anywhere, Vaan?"

"Wanna go take a look around and see if we can find anything to eat?"

"Maybe we should just stay in the airship for a bit. Don't wanna wear ourselves out."

"Kytes has a point, Filo."

"Having time to myself just makes me think of that lizard. It's really annoying."

"No one's gonna make you stay here if you don't want to. We've always got room for you two."

"Exploring an uncharted desert isle - this is what I call an adventure!"

- The Man in the Jungle: The Gilgamesh sustained heavy damage when the Judge of Wings destroyed the skysea, but managed to make landfall on a deserted island. However, the island may not be so deserted after all...

Soundtrack: Dungeon 1 Field

"Just look how clear the sky and water are!"

"We aegyl make no homes here. It is how we maintain the order of things in Lemurés."

- Objective: Save the wounded man! The man and at least one ally must survive. -

Our foes are mostly weak to fire. But this mission is glorified-melee-battle hard, which means, not hard at all. Take a break after beating Belias and enjoy an easy mission!

Soundtrack: Dungeon 1 Field - Dungeon 1 Battle

Guess what the first thing to do is. Just guess.

- Objective: Escort the wounded man to safety! The man and at least one ally must survive. -

Rather than turning around and going out the way we came in, Penelo has decided the safest course of action would be to wind all the way around the course and back. I'm not complaining.

The first material node is the only thing worth splitting up your party for, otherwise run around as a pack and hit things.

Both treasure chests on this map are a bit out of the way, but they both contain auracite. I mentioned it at the beginning of the LP, but Auracite is in surplus in this game, so no sweat if you give it a miss. It's not hard to grab on this occasion though.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to show off Vaan's Quickening here.

Rock Wolf will occasionally spawn at the entrance, where the mission started, and attack you from behind. They're not tough, but the wounded man tends to be at the back of your team, so they might strike him if you're not looking. Keep an eye on the map and spot them as they come!

"You don't think he's dangerous, do you?"

"I don't think he's one of those sky pirates, if that's what you're worried about. Let's go."

Here's the official artwork of the wounded man:

Next time, we find out what this guy's name is. Also, what kind of girl is into a mysterious man who's not afraid to show some belly? That's... not hypothetical, it's in the next update too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh my gosh.
A sexualized male character. Last thing I expected here in the sticks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Actually that looks a lot like Dalmasca's wildly inappropriate military uniform. If there's any doubt why Dalmasca lost to the Empire, it might've had something to do with their armor amounting to steel nipple plates and some knee guards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah I think you have a point.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

ok Amazing posted:

The aegyl, however, call them yarhi. Yarhi are summoned from the World of Illusion, and are not the same creatures as the espers who appear in Ivalice. They resemble the monsters and espers from Ivalice, but they aren't.

The World of Illusion, eh? Isn't that the place where Rydia lived for a while in FF4? It seems like a lot of FF games with summons make reference to it, so despite (most of) the FF games taking place in different worlds, it's possible that they are all connected to this "World of Illusion", thus explaining why the same summons keep showing up game after game (an in-universe explanation, obviously - the real reason is brand recognition).

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

DjinnAndTonic posted:

The World of Illusion, eh? Isn't that the place where Rydia lived for a while in FF4? It seems like a lot of FF games with summons make reference to it, so despite (most of) the FF games taking place in different worlds, it's possible that they are all connected to this "World of Illusion", thus explaining why the same summons keep showing up game after game (an in-universe explanation, obviously - the real reason is brand recognition).

What the place where Rydia lived in for a while is called is something that varies depending on what translation you're playing. In FF4DS, it's the feymarch. Even if the names are inconsistent, a land of summons existing is pretty common in the series! Gotta summon summons from someplace. I guess them all being the same place throughout the games doesn't directly clash in most cases, but I don't know... the World of Illusion, with the auracite and the summoning gates and it's connection to the aegyl just doesn't seem like it fits in with the other lands of summons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I dunno, summoning is often tied to strange rocks in the series. Crystal Shards in V, Magicite in VI, Materia in VII, various gemstones in IX...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, Viera have goddesses? I thought they were animists.

Anyway, looking forward to hear this guy's deal. I thought it was just sky pirates who came up to this sky kingdom.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #23: A Gift for Penelo + Object of Desire

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village)

- I can't decide if he's ignoring us, or simply playing things close to his vest. Either way, I don't care for him. I wonder if anyone else feels the same? -

"You shouldn't try to run. You're hurt. Don't worry, you can trust us."

"..."

"I don't like it. He talks even less than those aegyl!"

"..."

"..."

Soundtrack: Penelo's Theme

"...Thank you."

"That's more like it! My name's Penelo. What's yours?"

"My name... My name is Velis."

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Velis."

"Penelo doesn't usually dance for just anyone."

A new area has been unlocked on the world map. You'll also notice Kytes is following behind us, not Penelo. But let's head back into Tomaj's camp, to see how everyone's going, before we check out the new area.

"What's he doing here?"

"I do not know. He is like no other I have met in Lemurés. How could a hume with no airship come to be stranded here?"

"I'll help you get through this, Vaan."

"What are you talking about?

"Are you blind? Don't you think Penelo's been acting a little strange lately?"

"Oh? I hadn't noticed."

"If you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll be here for ya."

"His body was really cold - like he was a... uh... a bangaa!"

- A Gift for Penelo: The man the party rescued from the Yarhi remains silent, winning no friends save Penelo. Vaan, having none of it, strikes out to find food.

"Sometimes when I'm not feeling so good, she dances to cheer me up, too."

"She's nice like that to pretty much everybody. I'd imagine that's what having a mother'd be like."

"Yeah...maybe."

"Let's just concentrate on finding something to eat, okay?"

- Objective: Gather foodstuffs! At least one ally must survive. -

There's no flying type Esper foes here. You could probably summon in some Level I flying Espers, most of your opponents here are Melee, but it's probably better to stick to Level II Espers that match your leader's types.

Soundtrack: Vaan's Theme (The Mosphoran Highwaste)

"Penelo'll be real happy if we bring back a whole bunch!"

"Let's see who can find the most!"

"Yeah!"

There's several material nodes here. Vaan and Kytes will say different things, depending on how much of it they mine. Enemies are few, but with only two party members, keeping your leaders alive and as many Espers as possible is important.

Collecting the purple Prickleplums off the trees is the main goal. These three Flans will spawn when you approach the first tree, so be ready for them!

As with last mission, all treasure chests contain Auracite, so you'll want those.

Over in the east, there's a node that Flans will spawn around.

Because Penelo isn't here, being aware of, and using foraging points is important. Always try to chow down on some mushrooms when you pass them by.

Sometime in between here and the last Prickleplum of the level, I get a chance to use Vaan's quickening, Pyroclasm!

Since there's no way to GIF this quickening without the file being unwieldy huge, click here for a video of what it looks like.

Pyroclasm does a lot of damages to foes within it's range. It has a range similar to that of Penelo's cure, a bit less than Kytes' magicks. It's hard to judge this range a bit, because it's animation is a cutscene. Even so, it's just a powerful attack best saved for tough single foes or big tricky clumps of smaller foes.

"I think we made quite a haul! Penelo's bound to be impressed!"

"Good job! We'll return to a hero's welcome!"

Alright then, before calling it a wrap, what does Kytes say when he collects a bunch of nodes?

And here's happens if you only pluck the Prickleplums and don't bother with any other nodes!

"Well, that's that. How'd we do, Kytes?"

"We'll have to do better next time. Let's try to sneak back into camp without anyone noticing."

And a middle-of-the-road ending where we mine some nodes, but not others.

"Well, that's that. How'd we do, Kytes?"

"Not bad. Now we better be gettin' back."

It's gotta be getting dark after all that. Time to return to the camp.

- Object of Desire: Vaan and Kytes return from a hard day's work gathering foodstuffs to find Penelo and Velis have grown even closer while they were away.

"Shh! Look!"

"Those two have certainly hit it off."

"Penelo!"

"You get anything else out of him?"

"Well, he says he came here looking for someone."

"Looking for who?"

"..."

"Very well."

"He's looking for the woman he loves. A viera named Mydia."

"Hmm..."

"During the war?"

"I was at Nalbina."

Soundtrack: Theme of the Empire

"That... is a long story."

Soundtrack: Battle 2 (State of Urgency)

"If they are, it's up to us to keep him safe!"

"Of course it is, don't be silly!"

- Objective: Protect Velis! Velis and at least one ally must survive. -

Soundtrack: Field 2 - Battle 2 (State of Urgency)

"Velis is still too wounded to move. We have to hold our ground here!"

"Leave it to us!"

"No problem!"

You can stay in the middle and wait until the foes come to you, if you want to play things safe. Velis will never move, attack, or be helpful, and attacks can come from all sides. It takes them a while foes start moving though, and I like dangerously. Down the south of the level are Arctic Wolves, that Filo and Llyud can kill easily.

To the north-east, near to some foraging points, are Malboro. They know Bad Breath, which inflicts a bunch of debuffs, and can be kinda bad to fight. Fortunately, there's only a few of them!

They can be killed by Filo and Llyud easily, again. Use the foraging point if they get low on HP, and leave Penelo and Kytes to protect Velis.

There are a lot of melee types here, so I send in the rest of your units, or summon some espers to help, once they're done with the Malboro.

To the north are Atomos, who will die in one hit from Kytes Firaga.

By this stage, enemies will be approaching the center of the field rapidly, so you should just surround Velis and make sure he doesn't die.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword)

"Velis, try to hang on just a little longer!"

Whoops, just realized I left Velis on his own. Malboro have spawned around the map, including the Great Malboro with the group to the south, and will head to the center of the field. Time to regroup around Velis and deliver the smackdown!

Using Kytes magicks will help, as usual. Clear out the clutter of the smaller Malboro before going for the big guy. Vaan's quickening can help with this, if I hadn't had squandered it elsewhere. Whoops.

Penelo also has Esunaga, which can help recover from Bad Breath. The summoning gate is really close to you, so keep Esper numbers topped up.

Once the normal Malboro are gone, the Great Malboro isn't hard.

"Not a scratch"

"I think Vaan's jealous!"

"Maybe he's gonna need to start looking for a new partner."

Ah, a simple love triangle if there is such a thing, uncomplicated at least by the things that usually complicate love triangles in Final Fantasy games. So next time, this romance really gets tricky!

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

quote:

Ah, a simple love triangle if there is such a thing, uncomplicated at least by the things that usually complicate love triangles in Final Fantasy games. So next time, this romance really gets tricky!

So... someone's gonna get possessed by Golbez? :ohdear:

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually that looks a lot like Dalmasca's wildly inappropriate military uniform. If there's any doubt why Dalmasca lost to the Empire, it might've had something to do with their armor amounting to steel nipple plates and some knee guards.

By the way, good job calling it.

DjinnAndTonic posted:

So... someone's gonna get possessed by Golbez? :ohdear:

One of them will be possessed by Golbez, the other by Ultimecia, and the third will be murdered by Sephiroth.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Do I wanna know which one is which? :ohdear:

Man... FF Protagonists are bad this whole "uncomplicated relationship" thing. I guess the above options are better than "I was a dream all along" and "Turned into a glass prop before the prologue is over"?

I like the fact that Penelo actually does some dancing in the actual plot. That's more than 90% of RPG Dancer PCs.

Antipersonnel Mime
Feb 27, 2011
At least Dalmasca's military was prudent enough to provide boxer-briefs to it's conscripts.

Back on track, this whole arc (and some future conversations) is why I enjoyed Tomaj so much. He's breaking his back behind the scenes, arranging repairs & trying to keep this noble piracy gig afloat in the air (and not losing his head as he's at it).

Meanwhile Our Noble Captain is getting huffy that His Gal is making goo-goo eyes at someone they just met.

Unsung heroes are always more interesting to me than the ones who get the parades.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Huh, so they're really making Vaan and Penelo's relationship into A Thing in this game. In XII, they might as well have been siblings for all the romance they showed for each other.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Schwartzcough posted:

Huh, so they're really making Vaan and Penelo's relationship into A Thing in this game. In XII, they might as well have been siblings for all the romance they showed for each other.

They still could be. I'm reading Vaan's behavior here as a petulant teenager who feels insecure because his sister who he used to spend all his time with is suddenly into some random arguably hot guy. It could even be just that Vaan sees Penelo as his backup and exclusive sky pirate first mate and suddenly Penelo is hanging around with someone else. Everyone else is harping on "Oh Vaan and Penelo have a thing for each other" but unless (or more probably until) one or the other says something it could just be a bunch of kids misinterpreting or overstating a relationship.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DjinnAndTonic posted:

I like the fact that Penelo actually does some dancing in the actual plot. That's more than 90% of RPG Dancer PCs.

It is nice to see powers getting used out of combat.

...not suggesting I want to see Vaan Pyroclasm-barbecue their next meal, but I wouldn't be averse.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Glazius posted:

...not suggesting I want to see Vaan Pyroclasm-barbecue their next meal, but I wouldn't be averse.

If the game did this, I'll bet it would have sold better. I know -I- want to see this. :allears:

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Glazius posted:

Ha ha yeah that would be cool to see, but how do you know he didn't? ;)

Antipersonnel Mime posted:

Back on track, this whole arc (and some future conversations) is why I enjoyed Tomaj so much. He's breaking his back behind the scenes, arranging repairs & trying to keep this noble piracy gig afloat in the air (and not losing his head as he's at it).

Meanwhile Our Noble Captain is getting huffy that His Gal is making goo-goo eyes at someone they just met.

Unsung heroes are always more interesting to me than the ones who get the parades.

Nah don't worry about Tomaj he has Cu Sith to keep him company and make him nice things for a day's work well done. Without Tomaj though, Vaan probably would have lost this airship to the ages. He already lost one in the prologue.

Omnicrom posted:

They still could be. I'm reading Vaan's behavior here as a petulant teenager who feels insecure because his sister who he used to spend all his time with is suddenly into some random arguably hot guy. It could even be just that Vaan sees Penelo as his backup and exclusive sky pirate first mate and suddenly Penelo is hanging around with someone else. Everyone else is harping on "Oh Vaan and Penelo have a thing for each other" but unless (or more probably until) one or the other says something it could just be a bunch of kids misinterpreting or overstating a relationship.

Fair point, but if Filo and Kytes just want their Mum and Dad to get married, who can blame them?

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
I'm worried having another update on this page will lag browsers, there's already a lot on this page and it's a big update, so i'm going to make a few posts so I can post the next update on another page. Hope nobody minds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Another post towards the next page!

• Locked thread