Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings was released in 2007 (JP, US) - 2008 (EU, AU) for the Nintendo DS, and is the smaller scale, portable sequel/spinoff to Final Fantasy XII.

A lot of world building and exploration from the original is gone, as well as all the political drama, to tell a simpler, shorter story more focussed on it's characters. The plot also shares little with the original FFXII, perhaps because it actually started development as an unrelated title. Because of that, it's accessible to those not familiar with the original. I gotta admit, I played this one before I played FFXII, and I was fine. But there's still a lot in there for people familiar with the original, and they're gonna feel a bit more comfortable through this! If you wanna jump into this Let's Play, go ahead. However, there's an FFXII LP in the archives, as well as another, more informative one, so if you want to look at either one of them and come back, that's cool too.

The graphics use a style easier for the DS to render, 2D sprites on top of 3D environments. There are a few FMVs, which will be posted on Youtube. The soundtrack is almost entirely recycled from FFXII, but it unfortunately sounds a bit worse coming from the DS hardware. Gameplay wise, its a real-time strategy, although I find that the strategy is a bit light. I'll explain the combat more when it comes up in the Let's Play, including elaborating on my feelings about it.

Since this is a story-heavy game, let's not go ruining it for anyone! No spoilers at all for Revenant Wings please! Also, because this game is accessible without being familiar with FFXII, don't needlessly ruin the original FFXII. But you can just spoiler tag for the original FFXII if you're not sure, and then yap all you want! Later in Revenant Wings, there will be parts that assume you have knowledge of FFXII, and a couple of things, big things, from FFXII will be spoiled! There's nothing that will "ruin" the original in my opinion, but if you're hoping to go through FFXII completely blind one day, don't read this first! When anything that assumes you know FFXII comes up, i'll fill you in on the blanks. But enough out of me, let's start the game!

Prologue - In Search of the Eternal

Chapter 1 - The Derelict

Chapter 2 - Distant Skies

Chapter 3 - What goes up...

Chapter 4 - A Grand Hunt

Chapter 5 - Stranded

Chapter 6 - Stealing Eternity

Chapter 7, Part 1 - Illusions Within

Chapter 7, Part 2 - The Oath

Chapter 8 - Ivalice

The instruction book. Just in case you wanted to read it, I scanned it in for you. Click here.

Magicks and Abilities

ApplesandOranges makes some informative posts about our playable characters and Espers.

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread