Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #13: Backstabbing Bangaa.

New Folio entries:

Astral Crystal
  • History - Exceptionally rare and powerful pieces of auracite entrusted to the faithful after long hours of vigil and prayer. These crystals mark their bearers as devoted servants of the Eternal, and through Him, enable them to fortify the Yarhi at their command.
  • Lore - Should you seek powers surpassing even the Yarhi, look once more to the auraliths. To the chosen among you shall I give Stones of peerless might.
    -The Canon, Book of Calling, Canto VIII

The Judge of Wings
  • History - The mysterious figure behind the sky pirates' search for auracite. Little is known of this so-called judge's identity or motives, though there are whispers that the Judge of Wings plans an assault on Ivalice.
  • Lore - I hear her in my mind. Behind my eyes. Her words a siren song to me. Attack Ivalice? Never! And yet... I cannot do otherwise. I am powerless to stop.
    -A Sky Pirate's Lament

New Logbook entries:

Preparations
  • Business has been brisk, and I've thought of a good use we can put the sky saloon to. I've also taken in a stray Yarhi. I think there may even be a place for it in my plans.
    -Tomaj

Master Artificer
  • Master Tomaj, I must object to you calling me 'it'. I am a master artificer, and you cannot expect to receive my services if I am not treated with the proper respect.
    -Cu Sith, Master Artificer

Worried
  • So are we going to fight the Judge of Wings? The one Balthier couldn't even beat?
    -Kytes
  • I'd give Balthier a little more credit. Wouldn't you agree, Vaan?
    -Penelo

The game automatically sends you onto the next mission and... woah! Three missions in a row without an airship break? Really?

If you pause the game, you can exit back to the world map, among other things. Since the game automatically sends you into this mission, the only way you can see the in-between mission airship chat is by quitting after it's begun! Then, it can be selected from the world map like any other mission. This chat is easy to miss, so let's get to it!

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"I wouldn't write off Balthier just yet."

"Who asked you? You keep to your affairs, and i'll keep to mine."

"If the auralith lies broken, that, too, is the will of the Eternal."

"The auralith is destroyed? Then such is our fate. Why struggle against it?"

"They tell me you can use something called astral power to strengthen Yarhi during battle."

"I think we found something like that in the auralith chamber."

"Why am I always the last to hear about these things?"

"Don't ask me. You're the 'streetear'."

"I go out of my way to help, and this is the thanks I get. The aegyl didn't seem too concerned when I told them what happened to the auralith. They do care, right?"

"Who can blame him? Something important to him was destroyed right in front of his eyes."

"What does this mean for Lemurés? What do we do now?"

"We'll figure out something."

"Right. It's been a while since I had to cook for so many people. I hope it turns out okay!"

"Just wanted to see how you were doing. Try not to think about it too much."

"..."

"Me, I spend all my time worrying about what to do, and end up not doing anything."

"I mean, everybody has doubts about stuff, but you can't let 'em get in the way. With all these aegyl onboard, the bridge is getting kinda crowded. Not that it bothers me. But I wonder what the aegyl think of all this."

Alright, so, back to our mission... let's do this from the top.

Soundtrack: A Scheme (Little Villain)

"Addled of wit from playing at pirates with the wee ones, aye."

"We're done followin' you, my brother. No more will we come running at your beck and call."

"We have to stop them."

Kytes can be helpful for crowd-control, as a lot of enemies attack in groups. However, a lot of enemies are of the melee type, which makes him less effective, so I choose not to bring him. Ba'Gamnan must join you for this battle, as indicated by the little lock next to his icon.

The level III esper that Ba'Gamnan's siblings have is Tiamat. She is a ranged unit, of the thunder element. She is weak to Earth. My level II esper is Golem, who is a melee Earth type, to counter her. Bombs are also dangerous and prominent in this battle though, and some people prefer an pick a level II esper to control them instead. Kytes Blizzard can also thin their numbers efficiently.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Field - Dungeon 3 Battle (The Beginning of the End)

- With the astral crystal in your possession, you can use the Fortify Esper command at any summoning gate. As time passes, the crystal accumulates astral power (AP) which you can spend to increase the level of your Espers for a short time. -

Right in front of you, is a line of bombs. It's tempting to charge straight in, but that's the wrong idea!

...because one of the Bangaa will try and take the nearby summoning gate away from you! Foes can steal summoning gates off you, as you can steal gates off them. If you're off fighting Bombs while this guy is taking your gate, things will get thorny. Camp around the summoning gate until the Bangaa tries to grab it, and deal with the Bombs after you've dealt with him.

Now we're a bit into battle, you can see the AP system at work. On the top screen, you can see your AP accumulating over time, and up to five crystals at once can be held. These are spent to fortify your Espers, each fortification raising an Esper's level by one for the duration of the battle. The first fortification for an Esper costs one AP, the second one costs two, and so on. This battle, I am going to focus on fortifying Golem and the White Hares.

Bwagi teams up with Tiamat. Level III espers like Tiamat, or Shiva from the last battle, are as strong as party leaders, and have a few abilities to their name. Tiamat has Plasma Storm, which hits a radius of targets for a fair bit of damage. She also has Mighty Guard, which casts Protect and Shell on herself and her allies within range, those being two buffs reduce the amount of physical and magical damage taken respectively. If Tiamat uses Mighty Guard before you engage her, wait for it to wear off before engaging.

I keep Llyud out of the skirmish, because as a flying type, he's weak to Tiamat. He's also the only one on the party who can revive the fallen, so if he dies, the battle becomes a lot harder.

The summoning gate here is protected by not much. Take it, regroup, and have a breather. You've cleared half the field. Now onto the second half!

Here's what's left on our overhead map, entering this part of the battle, and... Tiamat? Again?
If you do take a break, Tiamat may be summoned, but to Rinok's side. As far as i've seen, you'll only have to fight Tiamat twice in this battle, she won't be re-summoned after she dies here.

"A gift from your new masters?"

"You'll rue the day you turned on me!"

The second skirmish with Tiamat and one of Ba'Gamnan's siblings is no different than the first. It might be a bit easier, if you've been fortifying your Espers!

There's a summoning gate right behind Rinok. I think it's better to wait until after you've beaten her to capture it.

A row of bombs is protecting Gijuk. I coax them into exploding, sacrificing Filo and Ba'Gamnan in the process. It's ok, Llyud can revive them. There may be better ways for dealing with bombs, but keep Llyud out of the skirmish, for the same reasons as before, you may need him to revive others!

Gijuk's AI gets him stuck behind the Carbuncle for a while here. Oops. So um... don't forget the material node here!

The Carbuncle are very dangerous right now, because they can heal so much of your foe's HP, it can easily null the damage you're doing. With Penelo healing you, it can end up a stalemate. To avoid this, once Gijuk has had his spiel, lure him down and away from his summoning gate.

Once he's further away, then engage him. Some Carbuncle may follow, but enough to pick off.

"We'd best get whilst the gettin' be good!"

Bonus: Ba'Gamnan can't talk to his siblings if he's seeing stars! Here's the alternative dialogue.

Vaan is the one to talk to Gijuk, so what happens if Vaan is unavailable?

"The Judge of Wings has gone to the skysea, and you'll not be followin' her!"

And that's all!

Soundtrack: Dungeon 4 Field (An Imminent Threat)

"We're gonna go after that Judge of Wings, right? That means we have to fight her. But Balthier tried, and look what happened to him."

"I wouldn't worry about him."

"She's using sky pirates to find these auraliths for her, so she can take over Ivalice and all."

"Then we just have to make sure she doesn't get them."

"Right now only one of the auraliths is gone, so the barrier's still there, right? But what would happen to Lemurés if the barrier went away completely?"

"It's reasonable to assume it was put in place for some purpose."

"But things like this, they give you a chance to look inside yourself. And that's where you find hope. For one thing, i'm sure Balthier's still alive. Vaan said as much, and i'm sure he's right."

"..."

Soundtrack: Main Theme

"We'll look for her first."

"There is an island to the east that holds a great skysea. Perhaps this is the place they spoke of."

"Then that's where we're goin'!"

I think I spotted a new character named in the logbook, so next time, let's find out who they are. Let's find the Judge of Wings! Let's find Balthier! Let's find the skysea! Hmm... maybe we won't find all these things, but better get lookin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread