Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #14: A look around the Sky Saloon.

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

"I've got big plans. Big. Let me show ya around."

"We'll help run the stores, too. Right, Llyud?"

Welcome to the Sky Saloon! Built on the deck of our airship, the Sky Saloon contains lots of new goodies.

"Hi, Vaan. (sigh)"

"You don't look so good, Filo. You feeling all right?"

"I'm just tired. Don't worry, i'll be fine."

"Listen up, everyone! I'm making my special soup for dinner tonight, so save room!"

"Yuck. Now I think I am feeling sick."

Lets go through the stalls in the order Tomaj pointed them out. We'll start on the lower left.

"After all, who can fight on an empty stomach? I'll take care of the kitchen.

"I know i'm not the greatest chef, or even a halfway decent cook for that matter, but still."

"Don't sell yourself short! I'd love it if you cooked for us."

"Speak for yourself, Vaan."

Like most videogame food eateries, Penelo's cafe doesn't actually sell food or anything. It's rather a place that you sometimes see characters hanging out and shooting the breeze. There's also a few sidequests that relate to the cafe.

Let's talk to Kytes, and find out how he really feels.

"I dunno, Vaan. This talk about Penelo cooking has me worried."

"She cooked for us all the time in Rabanastre. I don't remember anyone complaining then."

"We just didn't want her to feel bad. But up here, we're trapped!"

"I'll let you in on a little secret, Kytes. If you swallow it without chewing, you don't taste a thing!"

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

Alright, moving north, we find this blue guy near Llyud's shop.

"I'm afraid a dozed off a moment and awoke in this curious place. I've a penchant for ascribing names. Might I inquire whether you harbor such inclinations? Perhaps I might tempt you to rename your ship... What do you say?"

No thanks! You can change your ship name here, but I don't think anyone here wants that. Just tap Done without making changes.

And he walks off. Namingway likes to hide behind things, but he's never hard to find.

Namingway appears in other Final Fantasy games, most notably in FFIV.

Here's what he looks like in FFIV, in case you didn't know. He is a rabbit-eared creature who can change the name of the playable characters. In the 3D remakes of FFIV, he can no longer rename characters, and is re-purposed as a sidequest character who travels throughout the land changing his own name in order to seek his purpose. He looks kind of like an Ivalice moogle, doesn't he? So, naturally, in a game set in Ivalice, he becomes a Sahagin. Naturally.

Tomaj runs over.

"Here you can sell materials you find in battle, or buy new ones. Come by whenever you need that last hard-to-find material you've been looking for. "

"He's as entitled to work here as anyone else. I couldn't very well deny him the honour, could I?"

"I would not protest."

"Don't be modest! You've earned this privilege! Okay, back to work!"

And Tomaj runs off.

Let's chat, Llyud.

"What is there to talk about? There, now we have talked."

O... kay. Let's check out the shop.

Well, there's sure some materials As Tomaj said, this place is best used to buy materials you're missing. Like, if you just need one more material, rather than doing a whole melee battle just for one material, you can just buy one. It's helpful sometimes.

Well, it's time. To find out what these materials do.

Tomaj runs over again.

"Master artificer. And I must object to you calling me 'Cu Sith'. I do not call you 'hume'."

"The difference is there are lots of humes here, and only one of you. Stubborn thing, but with the right materials she can make weapons better than most you'll find. She'll ask you some questions before starting, so be sure to pay attention."

"So you summoned this, uh... Cu Sith just to man the forge?"

"It's not so simple as that, but I do answer to Master Tomaj. That's all you should need to know."

"It's a long story, and not a particularly interesting one. If I were you, i'd worry about getting the right materials to Cu Sith. It's worth the trouble!"

And Tomaj runs off again. A bit of Tomaj and Cu Sith's story was told in the logbook from last update, so go back and give it a read if you're curious.

"I owe Master Tomaj more than you can know! If there is any way I can help him, I will try!"

Soundtrack: Shop Menu (Rabanastre Downtown)

This is it, the crafting system.

To demo it for the let's play, i've decided to make Filo a new hoverboard skybandit! You can see the general sorts of material we'll need, and the base stats of the sky bandit. We can do better than that!

Each material comes in three grades. Rare material is the best, obviously. It will give you bigger stat boosts. The stat boost from Medium grade material is fine, but the stat boost from Low grade material is only worth it if you're starving for a new weapon.

This is what's going into the new skybandit. Next, is the quiz...

The quiz indirectly asks you what where you want your stat boosts to go. Some questions, like this one, are pretty obvious about it.

And a few questions are a bit obtuse. You can tell these things will affect other things, but the relationship is hard to determine exactly.

Cu Sith can also ask something about the person receiving the weapon! Sometimes, entire quizzes can be made up of questions like these. It's really hard to tell what they'll do for the final result.

This weapon is really good, the attack boost alone is more than twice that of a Mythril Cutter you can buy from Tomaj. The quality of material also determines it's sellback value, so if/when this weapon becomes a bit obsolete, it can be sold back for a nice price. We're also given the option to name our weapon.

In a casual playthrough, i'd name all my weapons. For now, i'll be using the default name, for clarity's sake. Anyway, what are Cu Sith's other quizzes in the Starter Manual? Let's take a gander.

Who would this sword protect?
  • Anyone who needs protecting.
  • Those who make a difference.
  • The people closest to me.

What will drive the sword?
  • A brave heart.
  • A compassionate soul.
  • An unbreakable spirit.

Are you worthy of this sword?
  • I sure hope so.
  • For everyone's sake, I need to be.
  • Of course! No question about it!

What do you think of Penelo's dancing?
  • I'm really impressed.
  • It's really cute.
  • She should tone it down.

Is Penelo's cooking any good?
  • Of course it is!
  • I like to think so.
  • It's... edible.

What do you like about Penelo?
  • Her heart.
  • Her smile.
  • What's not to like?

What magick impresses the most?
  • The flash of fire!
  • The crack of lightning!
  • The rumble of earth!

What would you use this rod for?
  • To defend freedom.
  • To keep us together.
  • To restore peace!

Bless the rod!
  • Let us be strong.
  • Let us be safe.
  • Let us be brave.

How can you recognize a true warrior?
  • By his courage.
  • By his honour.
  • By his skill.

Name your rival.
  • Probably Balthier.
  • Anyone but Penelo.
  • Basch, but i'm no match for him.

Do you consider yourself a warrior?
  • Not quite.
  • You could say that.
  • I'm a sky pirate.

I'll be posting one recipe book full of quizzes every update, as long as we have new books to post quizzes of. Anyway, there's one more shop to check out, but before we go there, let's talk to some of the NPCs wandering around the saloon.

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

"Of all the mutinous - ! Grragh! What gives those petter ne'er-do-wells the right to cut me out! Without me, they're nothing! And that's all that'll be left of 'em when i'm done!"

"If you ask me, you're getting all worked up over nothin'."

"Quit your jabberin', boy! When I want your opinion, i'll beat it out of ya!"

Yikes. How are the aegyl holding up?

"My people harbour no love of disorder. Even should the sky pirates fail to steal the Stones, they've already robbed us of our peace."

"All auracite derives from the auraliths. The astral crystal left when the auralith was destroyed is a rare variety of auracite. You can channel the power that accumulates in the crystal to fortify your Yarhi."

"We ought be thankful we escaped with our lives, but what life have we without our home? Aegyl are not meant to travel the skies in these crude vessels."

Right, onto the last shop.

"Rare aegyl and sky pirate equipment at prices you wouldn't believe."

"Actually, I wanted to ask you about that. How come you charge us for all this?"

"Do you think these wares are going to stock themselves? It's simple: You make money, I sell you weapons, take that money, and buy new, stronger weapons. So have a look at the notice board, get out there, and make some money!"

"Right..."

Actually, I just wanted to talk, Tomaj.

"You don't think anyone's expecting to get paid for working here, do you?"

"I doubt Llyud does, but Penelo might be a different story."

"Hmm, I better think about that when setting my prices..."

When we talk to him a second time...

"This kind of reminds me of working at the Sandsea back in Rabanastre. I hope I have a job waiting for me when we get back..."

Tomaj's shop functions the same way it did before. Except there's some new items! New items will be unlocked periodically.

We've got some okay armour upgrades. If enemies are ever kicking your rear end, it's nice to be able to buy this, but you should be able to find a lot of armour in treasure chests too.

And there's some new accessories as well. This one, the Goblin Pouch, was brought up in the thread in particular. I find it handy to take on Melee battles, as it increases your chances of getting a rare material. Otherwise, use it with restraint, it might be more practical to take an accessory that can help you win a battle in the first place!

To the south of the sky saloon, there's the exit to the bridge.

Since this update is fairly long as it is, i'm going to call it an update here. Next time will be a time for sidequests! (and the update after that will explore the new territory)

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread