Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #21: Rite of Despair

New logbook entry:

Insecure
  • I barely remember being taken, but now that I'm back on the ship I'm sort of scared. Not so much of Ba'Gamnan as the Judge of Wings. But everything'll be fine, right, Vaan?
    - Filo

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

Now Filo's back, we also have a new memento.

"Don't be. It's not your fault."

"I guess... But I won't let it happen again, I promise! And if it does, i'll take matters into my own hands."

"I'm sure you can take care of yourself. But we'll always be around if you need us."

"But if the Judge of Wings is down there waiting for us, I don't think this is the time to celebrate."

"If I were you, I wouldn't leave the ship until I was ready for a fight."

This is some good advice from Tomaj. Our next fight will feature a lot of fire element enemies, something we haven't seen much since level II espers became commonplace for us to use. It's possible you'll have very few unlocked. Cu Sith can craft you some water-element weapons from the Secondary Principles book. Tomaj also has an armour, the ruby chestplate, which resists fire and is highly recommended for Vaan. Go nab these things!

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"I guess we have to be ready for anything."

"So why are you all so quiet? What's gotten into everyone?"

"I wonder how similar the senses of hume and aegyl are..."

"Those feelings...what was that?"

- Rite of Despair: Ba'Gamnan is defeated with the help of Rikken and friends, and Filo is back safe and sound. But they don't have long to stop and rest, as a new darkness gathers...

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

"This is no auralith. Auracite, yes, but no more than that."

"So we're in the wrong place."

"What's that?"

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper)

- Defeat Belias, the Gigas! At least one ally must survive. -

If i'm not mistaken, Belias is our first story-quest foe with over 200 strength. An oddity of damage calculation in this game, is that for every 200 points of strength or magick you have you get an additional base stat multiplier. 1-199 attack has a x1 multiplier, 200-399 gets a x2 multiplier, and 400+ gets you a x3 multiplier. To put it in practical terms, Belias is about 70 strength points over most of my units, but is ridiculously strong compared to them due to the multiplier.

The only ranged level II water espers are Shivar, who are strong against most fire espers, but are also weak to fire. In this fight, Sagittarius is fairly neutral when it comes to elements. As a lightning element who's weak to earth, Sagittarius won't hit any foe's weakness and won't get their weakness hit. Their gambit is good too, so rather than a frail Shivar, i've chosen Sagittarius.

On my ring of pacts, i'm at the stage I could unlock level III espers. I won't be, at least not for this mission, because i'm low on water level II espers. You'll also notice some cracked circles on the Ring of Pacts around level III espers. These are espers that need to be unlocked first through story missions, before you can use your auracite to unlock them. Belias is one of them!

"Just stay calm, and take 'em down one at a time!"

There are two ways to do this mission. You can go slow, and capture all the summoning gates. Or you can go fast, only taking the center gate, and taking on Belias from there.

(Obviously I added the captions to this map) I will be doing things the fast way. Belias can be a bit unfair, and the fast way lets you repeat the mission quicker if you lose. The Djinn and Bombs won't become aggressive doing things the fast way either.

If you were doing things the slow way, you'd nab the gate guarded by Djinn first. The fast way only captures the middle gate, but first you need to clear the monsters away from it.

Start capturing is as soon as it's safe to do so, as you might need reinforcements.

Lamia from either side will become aggressive and move in to attack. Summon reinforcements and take them out.

A wave of Lamia will spawn by Belias, and come for you. Defeat them.

Another group of Lamia will stop you before Belias. If you're doing things the slow way, you could capture the summoning gate to the east now. Watch out for the bombs though!

At level 18, everyone is learning their fourth ability. Penelo has learned War Dance, which buffs attack. Use it, or Mystic Dance, to buff before engaging Belias.

Kytes' Blizzara makes a good opener.

Spam Kytes' magicks here, the fight might quickly grow too chaotic to really know what's going on!

Belias' Firaja can wipe out your level I and II Espers in one blow. This is why he can be a bit unfair. Filo didn't survive it though. Since Belias is a ranged unit, Filo and Llyud as susceptible to dying.

I'd managed to put enough damage on him to finish him off shortly after the Firaja, but there is a bit of luck to getting this down. Buffs and the right equipment can tip the odds in your favour, so it's not all luck, just come prepared and recognize luck might screw you over sometimes.

- Pyroclasm deals massive damage to all foes in a given area. You can use quickenings when the Mist Charge gauge is full. New quickenings become available as you defeat certain bosses. -

Quickenings are a returning mechanic from FFXII, and are comparable to other FF special attack staples like limit breaks or desperation attacks. Since this game has no MP meter, mist charges increase through different means, which vary for every character. I'll explain Vaan's better when I can demo it in a battle.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 3 (Esper Battle)

Official art of Belias:

Next time, we'll find out what state our airship is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread