Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #23: A Gift for Penelo + Object of Desire

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village)

- I can't decide if he's ignoring us, or simply playing things close to his vest. Either way, I don't care for him. I wonder if anyone else feels the same? -

"You shouldn't try to run. You're hurt. Don't worry, you can trust us."

"..."

"I don't like it. He talks even less than those aegyl!"

"..."

"..."

Soundtrack: Penelo's Theme

"...Thank you."

"That's more like it! My name's Penelo. What's yours?"

"My name... My name is Velis."

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Velis."

"Penelo doesn't usually dance for just anyone."

A new area has been unlocked on the world map. You'll also notice Kytes is following behind us, not Penelo. But let's head back into Tomaj's camp, to see how everyone's going, before we check out the new area.

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

"What's he doing here?"

"I do not know. He is like no other I have met in Lemurés. How could a hume with no airship come to be stranded here?"

"I'll help you get through this, Vaan."

"What are you talking about?

"Are you blind? Don't you think Penelo's been acting a little strange lately?"

"Oh? I hadn't noticed."

"If you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll be here for ya."

"His body was really cold - like he was a... uh... a bangaa!"

- A Gift for Penelo: The man the party rescued from the Yarhi remains silent, winning no friends save Penelo. Vaan, having none of it, strikes out to find food.

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

"Sometimes when I'm not feeling so good, she dances to cheer me up, too."

"She's nice like that to pretty much everybody. I'd imagine that's what having a mother'd be like."

"Yeah...maybe."

"Let's just concentrate on finding something to eat, okay?"

- Objective: Gather foodstuffs! At least one ally must survive. -

There's no flying type Esper foes here. You could probably summon in some Level I flying Espers, most of your opponents here are Melee, but it's probably better to stick to Level II Espers that match your leader's types.

Soundtrack: Vaan's Theme (The Mosphoran Highwaste)

"Penelo'll be real happy if we bring back a whole bunch!"

"Let's see who can find the most!"

"Yeah!"

There's several material nodes here. Vaan and Kytes will say different things, depending on how much of it they mine. Enemies are few, but with only two party members, keeping your leaders alive and as many Espers as possible is important.

Collecting the purple Prickleplums off the trees is the main goal. These three Flans will spawn when you approach the first tree, so be ready for them!

As with last mission, all treasure chests contain Auracite, so you'll want those.

Over in the east, there's a node that Flans will spawn around.

Because Penelo isn't here, being aware of, and using foraging points is important. Always try to chow down on some mushrooms when you pass them by.

Sometime in between here and the last Prickleplum of the level, I get a chance to use Vaan's quickening, Pyroclasm!

Since there's no way to GIF this quickening without the file being unwieldy huge, click here for a video of what it looks like.

Pyroclasm does a lot of damages to foes within it's range. It has a range similar to that of Penelo's cure, a bit less than Kytes' magicks. It's hard to judge this range a bit, because it's animation is a cutscene. Even so, it's just a powerful attack best saved for tough single foes or big tricky clumps of smaller foes.

"I think we made quite a haul! Penelo's bound to be impressed!"

"Good job! We'll return to a hero's welcome!"

Alright then, before calling it a wrap, what does Kytes say when he collects a bunch of nodes?

And here's happens if you only pluck the Prickleplums and don't bother with any other nodes!

"Well, that's that. How'd we do, Kytes?"

"We'll have to do better next time. Let's try to sneak back into camp without anyone noticing."

And a middle-of-the-road ending where we mine some nodes, but not others.

"Well, that's that. How'd we do, Kytes?"

"Not bad. Now we better be gettin' back."

It's gotta be getting dark after all that. Time to return to the camp.

- Object of Desire: Vaan and Kytes return from a hard day's work gathering foodstuffs to find Penelo and Velis have grown even closer while they were away.

"Shh! Look!"

"Those two have certainly hit it off."

"Penelo!"

"You get anything else out of him?"

"Well, he says he came here looking for someone."

"Looking for who?"

"..."

"Very well."

"He's looking for the woman he loves. A viera named Mydia."

"Hmm..."

"During the war?"

"I was at Nalbina."

Soundtrack: Theme of the Empire

"That... is a long story."

Soundtrack: Battle 2 (State of Urgency)

"If they are, it's up to us to keep him safe!"

"Of course it is, don't be silly!"

- Objective: Protect Velis! Velis and at least one ally must survive. -

Soundtrack: Field 2 - Battle 2 (State of Urgency)

"Velis is still too wounded to move. We have to hold our ground here!"

"Leave it to us!"

"No problem!"

You can stay in the middle and wait until the foes come to you, if you want to play things safe. Velis will never move, attack, or be helpful, and attacks can come from all sides. It takes them a while foes start moving though, and I like dangerously. Down the south of the level are Arctic Wolves, that Filo and Llyud can kill easily.

To the north-east, near to some foraging points, are Malboro. They know Bad Breath, which inflicts a bunch of debuffs, and can be kinda bad to fight. Fortunately, there's only a few of them!

They can be killed by Filo and Llyud easily, again. Use the foraging point if they get low on HP, and leave Penelo and Kytes to protect Velis.

There are a lot of melee types here, so I send in the rest of your units, or summon some espers to help, once they're done with the Malboro.

To the north are Atomos, who will die in one hit from Kytes Firaga.

By this stage, enemies will be approaching the center of the field rapidly, so you should just surround Velis and make sure he doesn't die.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 1 (Slash of the Sword)

"Velis, try to hang on just a little longer!"

Whoops, just realized I left Velis on his own. Malboro have spawned around the map, including the Great Malboro with the group to the south, and will head to the center of the field. Time to regroup around Velis and deliver the smackdown!

Using Kytes magicks will help, as usual. Clear out the clutter of the smaller Malboro before going for the big guy. Vaan's quickening can help with this, if I hadn't had squandered it elsewhere. Whoops.

Penelo also has Esunaga, which can help recover from Bad Breath. The summoning gate is really close to you, so keep Esper numbers topped up.

Once the normal Malboro are gone, the Great Malboro isn't hard.

"Not a scratch"

"I think Vaan's jealous!"

"Maybe he's gonna need to start looking for a new partner."

Ah, a simple love triangle if there is such a thing, uncomplicated at least by the things that usually complicate love triangles in Final Fantasy games. So next time, this romance really gets tricky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread