Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #26: Sidequests again! Materialistic + A Gift for Penelo + Rally to the Cause + That Left Behind

:siren: Chapter 6 contains some of the only missable missions in the game. Some side missions become unavailable at the end of the chapter, and failure to beat them will mean you won't get 100% completion! Furthermore, The Trodden Past, a mission unlocked (and which I tackled) back in Chapter 3, will also vanish at the end of Chapter 6. We will be covering the rest of the missable missions in this update.

But first, I will be doing the missions Tomaj and Penelo gave us at the Sky Saloon.

Who wouldn't do a mission for this kind of guy?

- Materialistic: A material i've been after for the longest time has finally turned up in the Guguerro Greendeep. I won't ask how you missed it the last time you were there. Just promise not to miss it this time!

Soundtrack: Pleasant Conversation (Clan Headquarters)

"The material we're looking for is supposed to be perfect for making rings."

"I dunno. Maybe it's a present for someone."

"Umm, this is Tomaj we're talking about."

"Well, we'll find out."

- Objective: Gather the materials for Tomaj! At least one ally must survive. -

Pretty much all your foes here are weak to fire, so bring along some fire espers.

Soundtrack: Field 3 (Dalmasca Eastersand)

All the side missions i'll be covering in this update have foes between level 29-33. How high your level is varies, but my party is about 25 on average for this mission.

There are 3 material nodes on the winding map.

Combat isn't terribly exciting here. Wander around, kill things.

You can tap the touchscreen to skip the animation for the Quickening, once it starts.

For a simple fight, I played this too close to the wire. Whoops.

Soundtrack: Lighter (Naivety)

"I already told you. Tomaj only wants it to fatten his purse!"

"Bravo! Splendid performance!"

"I couldn't sit still amid the anticipation. Had to get myself a front-row seat. I knew this would be perfect for you."

"For me?"

"Did I just hear what I think I heard?"

"Your ears do not deceive you, and neither do I. It should make quite a weapon."

"A weapon?"

"Stop by my shop, too, while you're at it. Never know what you'll find!"

Tomaj and Cu Sith run off.

Back on the airship, what does Tomaj have to say for himself?

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"Business has been so good, in fact, i'm going to lower prices across the board by five percent."

"Now that is a surprise. I didn't know you had such a deep purse."

"I told you this sky saloon would be worth the trouble. It affords us unique... opportunities."

"Selling treasure on the side? I'm impressed."

"I'd rather not go into the details. The sky pirates I was dealing with are long gone, but my discretion is part of the price they pay."

"I don't even wanna know."

Well, I guess Tomaj is cool and stuff after all. Now, let's go help Penelo, and cross our fingers she's not mad at us helping Tomaj first.

- A Savory Task: I've tracked down an ingredient Penelo's been pining after to Isshu on the skysea. My mouth waters just writing about it. Bring back enough for everyone!

"I'll go get 'em!"

"Then, get to it!"

- Objective: Gather the foodstuffs! Filo must survive. -

This fight isn't too interesting either.

We'll take the scenic route, collecting the material nodes on the way down to our goal, the north-eastern node on our map.

Everyone's on their way to learning their gambits, and Filo is no exception. She's learned Speed Snare, which is another trap that reduces speed. She's also learned Decoy Bit. It sets up rotating decoys around a group of allies, which absorb a good amount of damage for them. Decoy Bit is a good boost to use on squishy units.

It may seem a bit weird that Filo was bragging in the beginning, so you have to keep her alive. But it's not that weird.

Your ultimate goal, the Sea Currants for Penelo, are across water. Only flying units can cross water. So you have to use one flying unit, and although you could use Llyud, the game's picked Filo.

Either or, to stop the duty falling to... these.

Thanks, Filo!

"As a reward, how about I whip up something special, just for you?"

"Do you really mean it?"

"I think that was Penelo's plan all along."

"Kytes! It was supposed to be a secret."

"You may have a point there..."

"Let me know if you need me to take this bullet for you, Filo."

"No, no. I brought the foodstuffs back, I should be the one to suffer."

"Is my cooking that bad?"

Poor Penelo. At least she should have a new store at the Sky Saloon now, maybe that'll cheer her up...

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"C'mon, it wasn't that bad."

"Who am I kidding. I'm just not cut out to be a cook."

"Nah, you just need some more practice. Tell ya what. You keep trying to make new dishes, and Kytes and I will let you know how they are."

"Hey, don't bring me into this!"

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

With that done, let's get onto the :siren: missable missions!

- Rally to the Cause: The shrine that was destroyed with the skysea had a twin. With one shrine already lost, the aegyl want to defend the remaining shrine at all costs, but they can't do it alone!

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Field (The Beginning of the End)

"I believe so."

"Leave the rest to us!"

"This is our battle. If you care to join in our fight, that is your choice."

- Objective: Defeat all enemy leaders! All the aegyl must survive. At least one ally must survive. -

I've put it off long enough. It's time to look into Level III Espers.

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village) (music for the Ring of Pacts)

The last time I checked the Ring of Pacts was before doing the mission with Velis, and sure enough...

Defeating Velis unlocks Odin! However, Odin is between two other locked Espers, so we can't nab him without unlocking some more.

I select Ramuh as the first Level III Esper I unlock.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 3 Field - Dungeon 3 Battle (The Beginning of the End)

And this is the mob i'm bringing into the battle.

Level III Espers don't spawn at the start of battle. Therefore, they are a complete waste to bring on any mission without summoning gates. (It will say on the top screen during preparation, if a mission contains summoning gates)

The aegyl move at a brisk pace, and letting them go ahead of you is suicide. The aegyl are a bit fragile, and will need your protection the whole way, so don't fall behind them! It's better to get a unit to mine nodes, while your main party stays by the aegyl's side.

Fortunately, this mission does have summoning gates.

And there Ramuh is.

Level III Espers have really good stats, and a lot of HP, they're about as strong as a party leader. This means they don't die easily, and it's not a waste to use healing spells on them.

They still cannot do tasks only leaders can do, like capture summoning gates or mine nodes. Also, you can only have one on the field at a time, and they take up a nice chunk of Affinity points. When they die, you can just re-summon them.

Each has a rather strong gambit or sometimes two. Ramuh's is his signature Judgement Bolt, which does really nice damage.

Ramuh actually struck the winning blow in this fight with Judgement Bolt. Go Ramuh!

"I can't say I blame them. Think of all they've been through at the hands of sky pirates."

"Besides, we didn't help them just so they'd be grateful. We did it because it was the right thing to do."

"The aegyl will thanks us one day. All right, Filo?"

"I know, but - "

"No, no, no! It's not you, Llyud! We already know how thankful you are!"

The problem with the missable missions is how inconsequential they seem. They don't feel like missions with an expiry date, and they vanish with no fanfare. You can get right to the end of the game, and only realize you missed content because you find 100% unobtainable.

Speaking of stuff you can miss, let's get the other one out of the way.

- That Left Behind: I know we've only just left, but Penelo's forgotten something on the deserted isle. I don't know about you, but i'm a bit curious about what it might be.

"(snort) The treasures are there for the takin'!"

"You have no right to this place!"

"Time to show them home!"

Bringing along Ifrit, another Level III summon. Ifrit was the first boss we fought in the game, remember all the way back then?

Soundtrack: Dungeon 1 Field - Dungeon 1 Battle

The white summoning gate may be tempting, but I take the closest (red) one. Foes will quickly approach and capture the white one, so it's not very different just nab the closest.

Once you have a summoning gate, you can call forward a Level III summon!

This guy flees toward another summoning gate/leader, don't follow him, let him run. You'll take him out later.

From here, I systemically take out the worst-protected summoning gates until I get to the end.

The last guy took out a bunch of my Espers, but I still get him.

Soundtrack: Theme of Love (Ai no Theme)

"Kytes and Filo are taking care of 'em. Hey, Penelo. I've been wanting to tell you something..."

"It's not your fault. I'm not even sure what it is myself. When I talk to Velis, it's like talking to someone i've known all my life."

"Sorry. I didn't know."

"I'm sorry too."

"Don't apologize, Penelo... I apologized first!"

"I don't know, but at least they're laughing together!"

There's still some side quests to tackle, but we'll do that later into Chapter 6. Next time, it's back to the main story. Following Fran's advice, we're going to chase up Balthier. But where has Fran got off to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread