Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #44: Fighting Back Tears

There's nothing new for us in the ship's log, so let's jump right into it.

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"Finding Mydia will do nothing to ease this, but still I feel I must."

"Oh yeah? How come?"

"Well, with Velis gone, maybe part of her anima's been restored. And if it has, maybe that part wants us to find a way to stop her."

"We won't know for sure until we find her and talk to her."

"The Feol viera village must be where Mydia's from, right? Maybe we can find out something by talking to the people who knew her."

"It should have us in good with the emperor, and there might even be treasure in it."

Well, maybe we can ask him when we're done in the volcano. It's been long enough, let's head to it!

- Fighting Back Tears: The map in the ruins showed the way to a hidden village of exiled viera - Mydia's home. Following the only clue they have, the party makes for a volcano indicated on the map.

Soundtrack: Field 5 (Challenging the Empire)

"A mountain of death few would dare approach."

- Objective: Reach the top of the volcano! At least one ally must survive. -

This mission is basically training wheels for the next mission, which is one of the hardest in the game (and that's not just my opinion). Mateus is our esper of choice, and if I'm going to be honest, I don't quite remember why. I think they're to counter bombs without being weak to fire. Vaan's sprint shoes can be helpful, and Kytes is pretty much a must-take, as is Penelo. There is a change I would have made to this party, and we'll see that during the mission.

Soundtrack: Field 5 - Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

Although this mission is the easy version of the next one, and can be beaten with whatever usual strategies you'd employ for a fight against fire espers, paying attention to some of it's quirks will put you in a good place for the next fight.

Things start off pretty cruising. Kill some flans, nab an early treasure.

It might look like we can head straight up and to the southwest summoning gate from here going by the map, there's a sheer cliff in the way.

Looks like we're going southeast, and to our first bomb fight. Observation for the next fight 1: Bombs will explode if given the chance, and it hurts. A lot. But Kytes can still take them out in one majick ability, and magick ability except Fira, even the ones which bombs aren't weak to. This is why Kytes is a must-take.

After beating the bombs, I capture the summoning gate. On to the next foes. Um hey is that another bomb in the corner.

Observation for the next fight 2: Bombs make a formidable foe, especially in large numbers, and tend to come out of nowhere here. These guys spawned behind us after we trod on the area between the summoning gate and the other enemies, and they do a lot of damage. Kytes can still take them out in one magick, but they're too wide spread to get in one magick.

Well, that problem is gone, but there's another. Penelo's dead. Observation for the next fight 3: Only two characters have the ability to raise other characters, Penelo and Llyud. Bring both along next time, so they can mutually revive each other and you'll never be without one. This is also the one change I would have made to the party, replacing either Balthier or Fran with Llyud.

I've marked the path I've travelled so far, in case anyone reading is lost. The end is in sight, and without Penelo, I'm planning a grab-that-last-treasure-and-get-out strategy, just make a run for the flag marked on the map pretty much.

I kamikaze everyone else, to thin the path for Vaan's dash to the end.

It's a pretty newbie strategy, but I figured it would work out. A bit hasty and probably not the best way to learn from this level, but to be honest, there were a few failed attemps at the bomb section earlier and I was keen on finishing and.

Ha ha what.

Somehow, my guys had overwhelmed all the enemies at the end there. I guess with the type matchups, it was bound to happen, so I'll take it.

I wanted to do things the cheap way, but ended up doing them right. Huh.

Soundtrack: Genjyunomori (Eruyt Village)

Look, I know it's been a while between updates, so it won't be hard for the next update to be a shorter wait between now and next time. Then, we'll see what awaits us in Mydia's homeland, and also get to fight fire with fire and put into practice the lessons of this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread