Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Background

"The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings" is an action role-playing hack and slash video game developed by Polish studio CD Projekt RED. It is a sequel to the 2007 video game "The Witcher" and like its predecessor, the game is based on the book series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.

The protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is a professional monster slayer AKA witcher. Entangled in the political turmoil that engulfed Temeria, Geralt helped quell the rebellion of the Order of the Flaming Rose. Soon after, he saved King Foltest's life when the monarch was attacked by a witcher-like assassin. Follow Geralt's journey through the northern lands. Make decisions that strengthen or weakens the northern kingdoms while discovering more of Geralt's past.

LP Style

This LP will mostly be focused on the story but there will be some commentary on game mechanics. Will be pretty heavy on verbal commentary except doing cutscenes... usually.

Episodes
Note: "Original/1440p" quality is 1152p and has a much higher bitrate than 1080p. Can actually see textures instead of blobs. Consider using it if you like watching at 1080p.
Newer Note: Looks like Youtube has stopped processing "Original/1440p" on future videos. Which is why some episodes will not have the option.

Roche Path

Iorveth Path

Bonus Videos
What about Triss?
What about Radovid?
What about Letho?
Killing Guards and Finding Phillipa
Dealings with Cynthia
Loose Ends

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

This was supposed to be a character info part but I did a shite job maintaining it.

Have an awesome picture from Bootcha instead.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 20, 2014

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
I've not played this game so I don't know what gets revealed about Geralt's past but since I've read the books I can elaborate on some of the situations were Geralt's amnesia comes into play if you want. For example the history between Geralt and the Reavers is part of one of the short stories.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Sure, that would be interesting. Though... since you haven't played the game, it would be harder for you to know what to not elaborate on.

Like I don't think you can go too deep on Borch Three Jackdaws or Yennefer. Focusing on what the Reavers are about would be ideal.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Hmm, perhaps its best if I avoid talking about the stuff in the books then - it'd be difficult for me to talk about specific characters without potentially spoiling some of the events later in the game it seems. That's a shame, seems like the games are based around the assumption that you haven't read the books rather than accounting for the fact that you might have.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cor Geal posted:

Hmm, perhaps its best if I avoid talking about the stuff in the books then - it'd be difficult for me to talk about specific characters without potentially spoiling some of the events later in the game it seems. That's a shame, seems like the games are based around the assumption that you haven't read the books rather than accounting for the fact that you might have.

The first game is very much designed that way. Assassins of Kings is more positioned as a sequel to the books and the first game, so Geralt's amnesia is less of a plot device this time, more an actual plot point, and him remembering what happened to him prior to the first game is a big part of the story, and most likely of the next game.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Cor Geal posted:

Well, I think this game is interesting regardless of whether you read the books are not. But the joy that you get is different.

If you read the stories, it is sort of like watching a friend play a scary game that you've played before. You know a jump scare is coming but you don't quite know when your friend will stop looting and finally open the chest that summons zombie Nixon.

On the other hand, if you haven't read the stories, it is like watching a good M. Night Shyamalamanana movie with your friend for the first time and finally getting to the twist. Both of you are shocked and don't know how to react for a second.

Don't really want to spoil the second type of enjoyment if at all possible.

LegzMackenzie
Feb 15, 2010
Vizer, I bloody love you for this.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Pretty sure those were cantaloupes or some other similar fruit and not boulders in the cinematic.
Witchers generally dont hunt dragons because 1: Its a suicidal thing to do and 2: They are not considered monsters. While he was involved somewhat in a dragon hunt in the past he didnt end up killing it.
All of the Nilfgaard stuff is from before the Witcher 1, but yeah they are a huge empire to the South that conquers everything.

And man I always loved the detail they put into Foltest's camp, you can actually get a decent view of the trebuchets and see that they are actually manned and the npcs load and fire it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Given that it's Geralt, it is exactly the right time for hitting on Ves.
Geralt is hardly one to talk about being lusty, given the first game. And he's, you know. Infertile.
I'll say this for King Foltest. He's certainly a character.

I think with looting, it doesn't let you loot while in combat.

It amuses me they use ploughing instead of loving.

It does make me wonder what DO they do about Dragons if even Witchers don't hunt them generally.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I dunno... I still think it looks like a boulder to me.

Granted... why would they make perfectly round boulders just to shoot them. Seems like a waste of time.

As for "ploughing", it is kind of weird that they also use "gently caress" at times. Maybe an anachronism.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're going to show off the Triss Playboy session right? :v:

I still find it hilarious that's one of the extras Gog gives you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This is a game I keep trying to get into, and totally appreciate as being well made, but keep stalling out on fairly early.

Maybe I'll pick it back up, maybe I'll just watch along with you. Either way, glad you're doing this, Vizer.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

VivaVizer posted:

As for "ploughing", it is kind of weird that they also use "gently caress" at times. Maybe an anachronism.
That particular euphemism is old as hell but I've heard it being used in several places around Europe.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hah, I thought it was an euphemism that they made up. Fact that it was used in the past and sometimes now makes it 10x better.

Genocyber posted:

You're going to show off the Triss Playboy session right? :v:

I still find it hilarious that's one of the extras Gog gives you.

Well, I guess I could. NSFW

Though I have the Enhanced Edition on Steam. If you want the Bonus Content, you have to install "The Witcher 2: Bonus Content" which is under "Tools" in Steam for some reason.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe I'll pick it back up, maybe I'll just watch along with you. Either way, glad you're doing this, Vizer.

Hey, game has 16 endings. Could always try for a few of them. Though what about the game did you not like?

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 29, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

VivaVizer posted:

Hah, I thought it was an euphemism that they made up. Fact that it was used in the past and sometimes now makes it 10x better.

Also the execution method Roche mentioned isnt that far off from things they actually did.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Yeah... I talked to a friend who is into medieval history and he mentioned that a person will be alive for a bit after they are gutted and skinned. I just went "oh..." and cringed.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Veloxyll posted:

It does make me wonder what DO they do about Dragons if even Witchers don't hunt them generally.

Geralt tells you what they do right in that scene. They run.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

Hey, game has 16 endings. Could always try for a few of them. Though what about the game did you not like?

Not so much that there's anything in particular about the game that I dislike, just that it's a little slow at times and I've got a save a few events into the first town and I keep thinking to myself 'I'll pick it back up soon' and never getting around to it. It's not the game, really, it's me. The graphics are great, the writing seems really good so far, and I've heard great thing about its branching story - my only faults are that the combat seems merely serviceable and it takes time to build up speed once you're out of the prologue.

Like I said, maybe I'll pick it back up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was joking. Hence the ":v:".

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I thought that meant you were trapped in a room with ghosts and pellets. I'm not very good at this.

@Spiritus Nox

Actually, talking about the combat in general, there's been something that I've been wondering. I pretty much never put a point into dagger throwing and opt for the vigor skills, parry, and arrow redirection or vitality.

Do any of you guys find the daggers fun?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And yet, all I can think is why does she have Geralt's pendant? I am aware of exactly two of those in the Witcher games. And neither bearer is inclined to remove theirs as a rule.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really glad you're doing this one, Vizer. I loved your Bully LP, so I'm looking forward to the mix of informative and entertaining you bring to games.

I'm also looking at this LP as a sort of extended tutorial. I picked up Witcher 2 a while back and just couldn't get into it because there was just so much to learn. I feel like the game really punishes the player for not knowing how to mix and match all the different elements, i.e. potions, magic, combat and traps. I wanted to like the game, but all the micro-managing irked me.

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office

Blacksuit posted:

I'm really glad you're doing this one, Vizer. I loved your Bully LP, so I'm looking forward to the mix of informative and entertaining you bring to games.

I'm also looking at this LP as a sort of extended tutorial. I picked up Witcher 2 a while back and just couldn't get into it because there was just so much to learn. I feel like the game really punishes the player for not knowing how to mix and match all the different elements, i.e. potions, magic, combat and traps. I wanted to like the game, but all the micro-managing irked me.

Seconding this. I love your style and can't wait for the next video.

I picked up W2 on the recommendation of a friend and played for ~5 hours (up to the first mission "hub") without really getting it. A friend has since told me that they kind of expect you to pick certain builds in the beginning that make the combat easier, but this has always come off as a bit counterintuitive to me. As a result, I died a lot and didn't really get anywhere.

Not to say it's a bad game, though - I thoroughly enjoyed most of it, just hit something of a brick wall early on.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

You don't require any particular build to beat the game, unless you focus exclusively on the alchemy tree in the "dark" difficulty, which makes a very specific part of the game infuriating.

The Witcher 2 is pretty intimidating until you realize 2 abilities completely break the game : Quen and rolling.

manyleeks
Apr 22, 2010

Just another day at the office
Quen is kind of what I was referring to, although my friend also had a few things he viewed as "vital" in the sword tree.

I get the impression that there's a lot more to the game's combat system than you'd expect from the tutorial, which is kind of cursory.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

manyleeks posted:

I get the impression that there's a lot more to the game's combat system than you'd expect from the tutorial, which is kind of cursory.

This is one of the few games where I use consumables frequently, not because they were needed, but because it improves the experience for me. Using potions and poisons and stuff feels more witchery than charging head on and hitting people with a sword until they fall.

I recomend to new players to play a hibrid character, even if it's less than optimal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

And yet, all I can think is why does she have Geralt's pendant? I am aware of exactly two of those in the Witcher games. And neither bearer is inclined to remove theirs as a rule.
Advertising the Collector's Edition swag while they're at it?

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Eraflure posted:

The Witcher 2 is pretty intimidating until you realize 2 abilities completely break the game : Quen and rolling.

Rolling is such a huge deal. It doesn't take Vigor like blocking which means it doesn't reduce your damage output and it keeps multiple enemies way more manageable. I don't really think you can do well in combat without rolling.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I actually only got up to the fight around the ballistae. Then died a bunch of times and gave up

Looks like the secreta was using Aard Signs. which is kinda rough for the first real fight in the game.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

I actually only got up to the fight around the ballistae. Then died a bunch of times and gave up

Looks like the secreta was using Aard Signs. which is kinda rough for the first real fight in the game.

There are many ways to tackle combat and it doesnt require you to do one specific strategy or the other. For the Ballistae fight I liked using traps and Yrrden. Anyway general consensus in the games thread is that if you just stick with it at some point combat just clicks for you. I encourage you to pick the game back up and have another go at it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Effective crowd control is IMHO the main asset in TW2. That's why I personally found the shield sign quite useless: Fights get exponentially more difficult the more enemies there are (I'm not kidding, I'd rather fight any single boss in the game than a moderately sized herd of lowliest minions), and the shield only blocks so much. So yeah, Yrrden was my personal favorite, because taking out any quantity of enemies, even temporarily, is extremely useful.

Traps aren't bad either, but I actually phased them out pretty early in the game in favour of signs.

Yrrden is also a godsend in dealing with some of the tougher enemies (knights) you encounter in the tutorial level, who would otherwse tear you apart, but are rendered trivial by basic Yrrden placement.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
The biggest issue with Quen (Shield) early game is it only blocks one sword swing and lasts at most 30 seconds. I feel it might be more useful later on in the game.

Yrden (Stun trap) and Aard (Knockback/stun projectile) are both useful early on but I tend to use Aard more just because it is more fluid in combat. Though I like Axii (Mind-control) the most early on. Can easily take two enemies out of a fight and expose both of their backs for bonus back-attack damage.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

VivaVizer posted:

The biggest issue with Quen (Shield) early game is it only blocks one sword swing and lasts at most 30 seconds. I feel it might be more useful later on in the game.

People's love of Quen stems from the fact that when the game was first released it basically made you invincible even if you had no points in it, they later patched it but it still made you practically invincible if you invested points into it util the EE patched it into its current form. Like you could shrug off 6 or 7 attacks no problem. I dont really use or like quen much now except for dark mode, my main gripe with its current form is that it still prevents vigor regeneration while its active (because in the old version if you could regen vigor youd cross the threshold of practically invincible to invincible) despite the fact it only blocks 1 attack.
Still a good sign if you are learning the ropes of combat since itll prevent enemies from ping ponging you.

steinrokkan posted:

Traps aren't bad either, but I actually phased them out pretty early in the game in favour of signs.

Best use of traps is to lay 20 bear traps where the Endrega queens spawn in and just sit back and watch as it instantly dies when you trigger its spawn.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I don't know if I'll ever be able to think of this game as a successor to the original - on the one hand, it has gained a number, on the other, it's lost two letters. :downs:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I beat Witcher 2 on normal using a playstyle that was 90% Hack & Slash & Rolling. It worked really well for non boss fights. I didn't really use Quen up until the end though. Aard served me well when I needed to get away from beasties. Witcher 2 is a great game and Interested to see how you play it. Iorveth (path) owns

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

SpRahl posted:

People's love of Quen stems from the fact that when the game was first released it basically made you invincible even if you had no points in it, they later patched it but it still made you practically invincible if you invested points into it util the EE patched it into its current form. Like you could shrug off 6 or 7 attacks no problem. I dont really use or like quen much now except for dark mode, my main gripe with its current form is that it still prevents vigor regeneration while its active (because in the old version if you could regen vigor youd cross the threshold of practically invincible to invincible) despite the fact it only blocks 1 attack.
Still a good sign if you are learning the ropes of combat since itll prevent enemies from ping ponging you.

It really says something about its power when the extremely nerfed version of Quen can still save your life. Sadly, rolling is still overpowered and nothing will change that. Fortunately, the Witcher 2 is a single player game, which means you don't have to abuse it ! You can definitely beat the game on the dark difficulty without those two things if you follow the Witcher's path : careful planning and dirty fighting.

For those who find the game too difficult, a cdprojekt employee released an unofficial combat rebalance patch here : http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/?c=mod&m=show&p=77
It makes the game easier (in my opinion), but also more responsive and adds a few neat features : new animations, EXP system reworked to discourage grinding, skill trees require less points and let you branch out more easily, changed the backstab mechanics so you don't have to roll around everything to maximize your DPS ... I haven't played through the whole game with it, but it seems very stable.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone getting a Ben from Full Throttle vibe from Geralt's voice actor? Hes got that sort of gruff "I don't give a poo poo about your existence" rasp to it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is everyone swearing constantly going to be a constant thing? It makes it sound like the script was written by a little kid that just found out a bunch of bad words and is cramming them in everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Erm, I don't remember it being particularly high.

Just did a check and watched the last 7-8 minutes of the last video. Only heard "plough" once. And well, a "dog".

• Locked thread