Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iorveth. Pretty sure most goons did Roche first anyway, and frankly I think the story works much better if you do Iorveth first. Roche's path would just have confused me if I hadn't known certain things.

Also Roche's broness is overrated. There, I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Roche - Because he was Foltest's bro, and Foltest was the raddest, most owningest motherfucker around. Seriously, we owe it to the man.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Foltest was also less of a bro than he's given credit for. Geralt was basically conscripted as his bodyguard against his will. Also there's the whole "I hosed my sister and accidentally made a horrible monster babby" thing.

Norsu
Mar 16, 2010
Tough choice here. Roche has been friendly towards us so far but he is more of a "mission first" kind of guy who takes Geralt's loyalty to Temeria as granted. Not really a bro in that sense.

So far Iorveth has been kind of a dick. On the other hand he hasn't demanded anything from Geralt or expected him to remain loyal to some cause. Thus I say go with Iorveth.

I actually punched Iorveth here only to return for him later. Storywise it actually worked for me and we'll see later why.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The Sharmat posted:

Foltest was also less of a bro than he's given credit for. Geralt was basically conscripted as his bodyguard against his will. Also there's the whole "I hosed my sister and accidentally made a horrible monster babby" thing.

Yeah, but he does it with such style :allears:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The sign was Kierkegaard and the countersign Heidegger? Incredible.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

inscrutable horse posted:

Well I won't dispute that. I could watch him do the absolute monarch thing all day.

Norsu posted:

I actually punched Iorveth here only to return for him later. Storywise it actually worked for me and we'll see later why.

I find the inverse works pretty well too. Though obviously that's not quite how it's meant to go.

Norsu
Mar 16, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

Foltest is portrayed as the badass king who doesn't really give a poo poo about royal etiquette. It's hard not to like a king who remembers lowly subjects like the arbalest guy and treats them with respect and then outright threatens the sleezy ambassador. I like however that Foltest wasn't perfect and he had questionable morals and family values at times.

WhiteHawk
May 5, 2009
Awesome episode as usual, Vizer.

I'd like to go with Iorveth.
I mean, if I were playing, I'd go with RPing, and while Roche is a bro,
we've struck a deal with Iorveth. I'm not opposed to killing him, but honorably.
Right now? He's gotta get his sword back. After that... I'd probably go with Roche.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Competence and style are just way more likeable than moral virtue. See: Everyone forgetting that one of the very first things Roche does upon being introduced is torturing a priest to death.

Not that Iorveth is any better, mind, what with his use of Comanche torture methods and blatant racism.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
I'm gonna go with helping Roche for now. If only because Zoltan doesn't like Iorveth.

Public Reprimand
Mar 26, 2007
Whitewashed for the masses
I say go with Iorveth - If it wasn't for Roche not trusting you enough to not tail you into the forest and ruin your trap you would have the kingslayer! On my playthrough I made the decision much later when (Imminent plot spoiler)Triss gets kidnapped and Roche is telling you to run errands for him while Iorveth is all "alright lets go".

If you side with Iorveth make sure to remove that tattoo, Anezka (the witch we just helped) sells Green Mold and Wolf's Aloe.(these don't grow in game).

Also you mentioned the Grapeshot not being thrown, if you get hit you get knocked out of the throw and when you let go of aim nothing happens. It's annoying as hell 'cos I suck at judging enemy distance and always seem to get hit!

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007
Iorveth all the way. Roche is always butting in where he doesn't belong.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Roche got us out of jail and helped us out. I say we owe it to the guy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mmtt posted:

Roche got us out of jail and helped us out. I say we owe it to the guy.

Well he didn't do it as a favor.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
True, but he still took a huge risk putting his neck on the line by giving you the keys and hiding you among the Blue Stripes.

He might not have done it out the goodness of his heart but he did trust Geralt's story in the end. Iorveth on the other hand has attempted to kill you twice and is sort of holding you hostage at the moment.

Yes, Roche ruined Geralt's plan but from his point of view, Geralt is walking in the forest surrounded by Squirrels after a trap in the clearing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

lets go with Roche as his end goals seem to involve less potential for wanting our demise.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

VivaVizer posted:

Yes, Roche ruined Geralt's plan but from his point of view, Geralt is walking in the forest surrounded by Squirrels after a trap in the clearing.

Can't you actually mention that your plan involves Iorveth to Roche and he does this anyway?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Roche just saved our rear end. Let's give him a hand.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

The Sharmat posted:

Can't you actually mention that your plan involves Iorveth to Roche and he does this anyway?

Only if you take advantage of the convenient break between Iorveth holding Geralt hostage which I'm pretty sure is there for gameplay reasons and not story reasons. I mean, really, who uses the honor system for hostages?

"Yeah, don't mind me. I'm just leaving to get something to eat. I'll be right back after you threatened to kill me. Don't worry about it."

I doubt Geralt had Stockholm Syndrome.

If that break wasn't there, then it would be a constant forced path from the start of the Arachas fight to what happens next and I doubt people would appreciate that. Sure, I had an easy time with the Arachas but I did all the available bits of EXP and took a Mongoose potion.

WhiteHawk posted:

I mean, if I were playing, I'd go with RPing, and while Roche is a bro,
we've struck a deal with Iorveth. I'm not opposed to killing him, but honorably.
Right now? He's gotta get his sword back. After that... I'd probably go with Roche.

That definitely is an option in the game but, ultimately, I would rather do Iorveth-Iorveth or Roche-Roche. Yes, Iorveth-Roche and Roche-Iorveth won't break the game or anything but it seems like they wrote the story with Iorveth-Iorveth or Roche-Roche in mind. So I'd rather show what I think is the more optimal two combinations that shows off more of the story content.

Though if we take the Iorveth path, I'll have to also remove that tattoo. Might do that off-camera or as a small bonus video or something. I don't think there is a reason to avoid the drunk Blue Stripe side-mission.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 17, 2013

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Iorvath. Normally I don't like to go all species traitor, but I feel like his arc is better overall.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Iorvith. We haven't really been able to see much of his character, so we may as well give him a chance. At least the Squirrels in this game are markedly better than they were in the original.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Public Reprimand posted:

If you side with Iorveth make sure to remove that tattoo, Anezka (the witch we just helped) sells Green Mold and Wolf's Aloe.(these don't grow in game).

This is the absolute worst advice ever :colbert: Keep the tatoo fover.

That better transfer over to Witcher 3.

The Sharmat posted:

Of the Monarchs actually portrayed in this game he is probably the least bad and is definitely the coolest. Plus Gerlat was basically living the lap of luxury when working for Foltest and to his credit he does let you go after saving his life (several times). And if you actually tell him his assassin was a witcher he is pretty understandable about it.

VivaVizer posted:

That definitely is an option in the game but, ultimately, I would rather do Iorveth-Iorveth or Roche-Roche. Yes, Iorveth-Roche and Roche-Iorveth won't break the game or anything but it seems like they wrote the story with Iorveth-Iorveth or Roche-Roche in mind. So I'd rather show what I think is the more optimal two combinations that shows off more of the story content.

I have no problems with you linking the choices though there is a bit of different dialogue later on down the road if you pick opposites, especially if you go Iorveth-Roche. Iorveth is much less depressed and actually somewhat nice to you

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
I say Iorveth. Geralt clearing his name is just the nuisance he needs to get out of the way before pursuing his real mission, which is uncovering the mystery of his past. The scene in the bath pretty much points out how continuing to involve himself in politics is a distraction. The Squirrels may have their political bent, but Roche is a loyalist G-man. Go for the wild and magical, not The Man.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's help Iorveth.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
Iorveth. He didn't gently caress up an attempt to capture the very guy he was looking for.

Also his eyepatch is fabulous.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Roche, because you're not really going to redeem yourself by betraying the only kingdom agent who trusts you. Even if it's not a lot of trust.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Roche, because Iorveth is the kind of idiot video game revolutionary who's plans are absolutely stupid without a protagonist's overpowered support. Also he seems a bit cliched, while Roche at least has a little more depth than Red Faction: Guerrilla could muster.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Roche because above all humanity first. Also this

Atomikus posted:

Roche, because you're not really going to redeem yourself by betraying the only kingdom agent who trusts you. Even if it's not a lot of trust.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going with Roche.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Roche is a bro. He sprung you from prison, he deserves your help at least this once.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iorveth. Five minutes working with the guy and he has Letho caught and surrounded. And Roche, who couldn't do poo poo to catch Letho or Iorveth, fucks it all up.

Also, siding with Roche means Keadwen/Henselt absorbs Upper Aedirn and Vergen and gently caress that so much

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 18, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I never really got the impression that Geralt was Iorveth's hostage after you convince him to get his men to stand down.

Dickey Butts posted:

Roche, because Iorveth is the kind of idiot video game revolutionary who's plans are absolutely stupid without a protagonist's overpowered support.

What makes you say that?

At to the cliche bit...you really haven't seen much of Iorveth yet. I'd say he's roughly as deep as Roche.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Red Faction: Guerrilla was sort of my example. Completely outclassed underdog rebel group who wants to enact an absurdly unrealistic goal. That said, The Witcher is definitely better written, so I expect more from his character than just being an unrealistic idealist who's wishes can be magically fulfilled, but only with the protagonist's support...but I haven't seen anything else yet of him, so Roche seems like the cooler choice for now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Let's go with Iorveth, simply because I don't feel that Roche is that much of a bro.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Let's go with Iorveth, simply because I don't feel that Roche is that much of a bro.

:colbert: That's just hurtful.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dickey Butts posted:

Red Faction: Guerrilla was sort of my example. Completely outclassed underdog rebel group who wants to enact an absurdly unrealistic goal. That said, The Witcher is definitely better written, so I expect more from his character than just being an unrealistic idealist who's wishes can be magically fulfilled, but only with the protagonist's support...but I haven't seen anything else yet of him, so Roche seems like the cooler choice for now.

I hope you're still around when the LP gets to Iorveth's path just because...well, spoilers.

fennesz posted:

:colbert: That's just hurtful.

I maintain that Roche is a bro, just not as big a bro as people make him out to be. (People make him out to be the Biggest Bro, period, so that's not saying a lot)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Roche, because I find elves and dwarves to be distasteful.

:godwin:

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
Roche, because I've already done Iorveth's path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Iorveth, because Roche is an angry dick most of the time.

• Locked thread