Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you're going to play morrowind, just look up a starting build and realise that whatever skills you start with are the ones you're stuck with. Once you've started with the right options to begin with a weapon skill at 50 and you've made peace with the fact that you're never going to master enchanting, alchemy, fireballs, archery and lockpicking all at once, it's not nearly so hard to play.

It's definitely worth it if you're a fan of the world, since it fleshes it out far more with most NPCs having hundreds of lines over potentially dozens of dialogue options. If you're a fan of the immersive stuff, the lack of point to point fast travel makes sense in lore, and means you explore a lot more, and if you're not a fan of the games slightly dodgy stat system, there's plenty of broken systems to abuse until you're an unkillable god who can run around with a million strength. Hello, never dying golden saint summons and super duper intelligence potions. Free training is pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Bholder posted:

Also nobody mentioned the true classics, Arena and Daggerfall, both freeware, you can get them from the Bethesda website.

Arena sucks though, it gets repetitive fast, Daggerfall is Arena improved tenfold but so buggy it makes the later Bethesda games stable masterpieces in comparison.

Daggerfall is also nice enough to start you in a dungeon with enemies that can't be hurt without silver or better weapons and not guarantee that you'll actually have one.

Emong fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 13, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So that's the reason I could only play the game proper by starting with the ebony dagger.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

comaerror posted:

Towards the beginning of Skyrim, if you don't mind murdering a witch posing as a harmless old lady, you can just move into Anise's cabin southwest of Riverwood. All of the containers in the basement are safe to store your junk in.

What is the deal with her? I couldn't find a reason for her being there and all I found was some wierd letter about her. Is she a quest NPC or just filler content?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sometimes a creepy forest witch is just a creepy forest witch. She's not affiliated with any quests that I know of.

edit: and the wiki lists no quests either.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I always wondered why her stuff would stay off-limits and "stolen" even when she was dead. Maybe the "being in the Hagraven faction" has something to do with it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

Also the Mark and Recall spells, the end-all be-all of convenient teleport spells.

I have some friends that loved Skyrim and Oblivion. I've tried to turn them on to Morrowind, but every one of them hates it and won't give it much of a chance. I know the truth, but if I was in their shoes, I probably wouldn't either. Morrowind's first couple hours are rough as poo poo if you've never played it before.

Try morroblivion on them? Works pretty well these days.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bholder posted:

THIS is completely wrong, and I hate it when people saying it because I was believing it as well only to face with the sad truth when I was trying to murder a bunch of weak Scamps who gave me trouble on low level, only to find a group of Dremora Lords instead.
NPCs on the other hand really are static... except in the expansions.

But yes, that really was the most annoying part of Oblivion (and the leveling system) and there are more than enough mods to change that.

Also nobody mentioned the true classics, Arena and Daggerfall, both freeware, you can get them from the Bethesda website.

Arena sucks though, it gets repetitive fast, Daggerfall is Arena improved tenfold but so buggy it makes the later Bethesda games stable masterpieces in comparison.

I beat arena over the summer and it wasn't bad but the 'random' dungeon design is extremely repetitive and is basically only worth bothering with if you need alot of cash or are going for an artifact (which is worth doing almost as soon as you can imo) but I thought that the developer designed dungeons were pretty decent overall.
Daggerfall is where much of the TES lore and recurring features originate like the daedric princes, ingame books, alchemy, joinable factions, hilarious amounts of fantasy racism and bethseda failing to meet their overambitious goals again and again :downs: come from. Daggerfall is cool to mess around with/break but actually beating the thing takes a long rear end time, not helped by the fact that the dungeons are massive labyrinths and torturous to navigate. :gonk:

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Diet Lime posted:

How about some aesthetic choices stock out of the box Bethesda?

If you max out Blacksmithing, and toss in some alchemy, you can literally make any piece of armor end game viable, if you wanted. For aesthetic reasons, of course. I maxed out everything but ran with regular iron armor through out the game.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

YouTuber posted:

What is the deal with her? I couldn't find a reason for her being there and all I found was some wierd letter about her. Is she a quest NPC or just filler content?

She's Moira's sister. But yea, other than that, she's just a creepy forest witch.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fun thing I experienced in my most recent playthrough was getting the Hired Thugs showing up with a letter from Moira of all people, for looting Anise's cabin.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

4 Dragons in Morthal. 4 Dragons. 20 minutes fighting them, and just as I was about to loot the last one I killed, my game crashes. And I forgot to quicksave after killing it :negative:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loaded up my game the other day and had a dragon appear inside Markarth of all places. No casualties despite it showing up at midday, fortunately -- had one appear in Riften once that started outside the wall and I managed to drag it inside with me somehow, it wiped out nearly the whole city :negative: Then later, one spawned inside Windhelm but when I ran out the gates and back in it got lost somewhere and never came back. That was a weird day for dragons.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Fun thing I experienced in my most recent playthrough was getting the Hired Thugs showing up with a letter from Moira of all people, for looting Anise's cabin.

This happened to me, too! I was worried that my thieving ways would cause more attention like that throughout the game, but oddly enough I was never confronted by "LET'S TEACH THIS THIEF A LESSON" dudes again.

Got attacked by assassins a lot though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Weirdest glitch earlier:

Early level, playing a Bosmer who just walked up the mountain to get started on all the Greybeard's bullshit (I hate the main quest, but the full Unrelenting Force is too good to pass up) and then headed to Riften to join the Thieves Guild.

I was talking to Brynjolf at his stall about framing Brand-Shei when I see two of those Solstheim cultists walking towards me through the marketplace...only to stop whenever Brynjolf started calling the crowd to him, both standing there watching him along with the crowd. I don't know if they were trapped by all the other crowdmembers or somehow had some 'pay attention to Brynjolf' scripting go off by mistake, but they didn't even try to walk after me as I went through with stealing the ring and sneaking up behind Brand-Shei to plant it.

I guess even cultists can be swindled into buying falmerblood elixir :confused:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

Also the Mark and Recall spells, the end-all be-all of convenient teleport spells.

I'd take mark, recall, and the intervention spells over clicky-map fast travel any day just because you can mark wherever you are in a dungeon, use whichever intervention drops you where you can get to a mages' guild quickly, go home or pawn your poo poo or restock or whatever, and then recall to exactly where you were when you left the dungeon without ever having to backtrack in a couple of minutes. Skyrim's fast travel just makes it easy to miss out on all kinds of exploration in the world; the old system forced you to explore the hard way from a city to whatever dungeon, but once there you could teleport back to two nearby cities via intervention and recall as necessary. Also, morrowind is tiny compared to Skyrim and Oblivion so don't sweat not having horses.

I tried Morroblivion but I was immediately irritated to no end by all of the doors in balmora being locked, forcing me to unlock them from the console just to get to vendors and questgivers and the like in the middle of the day. Is this crap fixed?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 13, 2013

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'd take mark, recall, and the intervention spells over clicky-map fast travel any day just because you can mark wherever you are in a dungeon, use whichever intervention drops you where you can get to a mages' guild quickly, go home or pawn your poo poo or restock or whatever, and then recall to exactly where you were when you left the dungeon without ever having to backtrack in a couple of minutes. Skyrim's fast travel just makes it easy to miss out on all kinds of exploration in the world; the old system forced you to explore the hard way from a city to whatever dungeon, but once there you could teleport back to two nearby cities via intervention and recall as necessary. Also, morrowind is tiny compared to Skyrim and Oblivion so don't sweat not having horses.

I tried Morroblivion but I was immediately irritated to no end by all of the doors in balmora being locked, forcing me to unlock them from the console just to get to vendors and questgivers and the like in the middle of the day. Is this crap fixed?

I tried the skyrim mark and recall mods and I would say that the spells would still be useful if you wanted to say teleport immediately out of dungeon and to your homes main loot chest or something.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, I know there are mods for it but I don't think instant fast travel by map was a ever good addition to TES except in Oblivion as a means of shortening a terrible game

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Yeah, I know there are mods for it but I don't think instant fast travel by map was a ever good addition to TES except in Oblivion as a means of shortening a terrible game
I never understand complaining about added features that aren't required. If you don't like it, just don't use it. There's still the town carts if you want an in-world fast travel. And that's one of the main reasons my save game is at 150hrs without beating any of the main quests; I never fast travel. I only use the carts to move between towns, then walk/horse ride to the location I'm trying to get to.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

gggiiimmmppp posted:

To be fair it's not really an "addition" considering it's been in every game but Morrowind.

I've always been a fan because I don't feel like spending most of my game time wandering between cities stabbing wolves when I could be doing interesting stuff right now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

I never understand complaining about added features that aren't required. If you don't like it, just don't use it. There's still the town carts if you want an in-world fast travel. And that's one of the main reasons my save game is at 150hrs without beating any of the main quests; I never fast travel. I only use the carts to move between towns, then walk/horse ride to the location I'm trying to get to.

It's because a lot of people suffer from the crippling and horrifying belief that there are people out there playing the game wrong. See also, railing against the Restoration exploit. That being said, there is absolutely zero (0) reason that "Enable Fast Travel" isn't a checkbox in the game options in the vanilla game, other than "gently caress you, players, do what we want."

On the subject of Oblivion, I feel kind of weird here because I have a soft spot for Oblivion. It was the first open-world RPG I really played and awakened my love for them, so I can't hate it even though it is a very flawed game. Heck, the only gamebryo mod I made is for Oblivion:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

That being said, there is absolutely zero (0) reason that "Enable Fast Travel" isn't a checkbox in the game options in the vanilla game, other than "gently caress you, players, do what we want."
There is absolutely zero (0) reason to make an option to disable it since Fast Travel already is an optional thing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 14, 2013

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I kind of like Frostfall's feature to make Fast Travel require certain supplies to be done. Morrowind still had it's form of fast travel though. You could hop on Silt Striders, Boats, or get teleported by mages to pretty much any town instantly. You might have needed to take a couple legs of layovers to get there but it was still pretty fast. In Skyrim and Oblivion it's just replaced by the idea "You walked there but nothing of interest happened." fast travel.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

There is absolutely zero (0) reason to make an option to disable it since Fast Travel already is an optional thing.

I'm of the philosophy that "Anything that can be configurable, should be." It's not like it requires a huge change to the game, it's literally setting one variable to false.

Edit: That is, if it's anything like disabling fast travel in New Vegas and Oblivion. I wouldn't put it past Bethesda to make it hugely complicated.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm of the philosophy that "Anything that can be configurable, should be."
I completely agree with that. The more options, the merrier. But having an option to disable Fast Travel is just redundant as it's already optional. If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.

I often see people demanding an option to disable Fast Travel (or stuff like quicksave) because they can't stop themselves from using it. It's like they lack any notion of self-control.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The only thing that bugs me about fast travel in Skyrim sometimes, is I'm simply trying to place the blue map marker and will then unintentionally fast travel myself to the location. Frostfall does help though, by requiring a woodcutter's axe!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

I completely agree with that. The more options, the merrier. But having an option to disable Fast Travel is just redundant as it's already optional. If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.

I often see people demanding an option to disable Fast Travel (or stuff like quicksave) because they can't stop themselves from using it. It's like they lack any notion of self-control.

Mea Culpa. :(

The thing is also: for the cost of a checkbox on the options screen, they could shut us all up! :)

I played Oblivion with a no fast travel mod (plus a network like Morrowind had) and ended up removing it because the DLC houses were way out in BFE.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The only thing that bugs me about fast travel in Skyrim sometimes, is I'm simply trying to place the blue map marker and will then unintentionally fast travel myself to the location. Frostfall does help though, by requiring a woodcutter's axe!

Can't you just right click to place markers?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Raygereio posted:

If that's the case than why add other gameplay modes that could be simulated if the player really wanted to (hardcore)? More to the point, even if you don't need that option, why do you care if others want it? If it helps them play the game the way they want to, who really cares?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

More to the point, even if you don't need that option, why do you care if others want it? If it helps them play the game the way they want to, who really cares?
It's funny that you use that argument, because that's pretty much what I tell people who are irrationally angry at the existance of Fast Travel.

The point that I'm trying to make is that the option to not use Fast Travel is already in the game. It is an optional thing that's there for those want to make use of it. Just like the carriages and horses. If you do not want to make use of it, then simply don't.
An additional option to disable Fast Travel completely is just unnecessary.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 14, 2013

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I never use any of the options to adjust sound effect and music volume. There should be an option to disable the volume adjustment option so I don't have to look at it.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I love playing these monstrous games, but due to extreme work/family busyness I have limited time to play (I spent 3 months playing about 60 hours to get through Divinity 2). Being able to fast travel keeps me actually interested in the game since I do an interesting thing or two every time I sit down to play. That being said, random encounters during fast travel (attacks, NPCs needing help, etc could be fun).

I love how fast travel was handled in Two Worlds: personal teleporter (ye gods)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Raygereio posted:

An additional option to disable Fast Travel completely is just unnecessary.

Except that it isn't, because some people want it for whatever reason, and it won't hurt the game to add a "disable fast travel" checkbox. If adding it won't cause any harm to the game, and people ask for it, why shouldn't it be added?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Sounds like bloating up options to me. Plus, knowing people, someone would check/uncheck the box by accident and then go online to complain about how long it takes to get anywhere in the world.

Just don't use the feature. I can understand if it was unavoidable and people wanted an option to turn it off, but there is nothing in the game that forces you to use/not use it. Is it an issue of lack of personal restraint that people complain about inclusion of fast travel, but they can't NOT use it, or something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Except that it isn't, because some people want it for whatever reason, and it won't hurt the game to add a "disable fast travel" checkbox. If adding it won't cause any harm to the game, and people ask for it, why shouldn't it be added?
I'm not against the existance of such an option. I couldn't care less wether it exists or not. It's just redundant. To repeat myself: The option to not use Fast Travel is already in the game. You are not forced to use it after all. It is optional thing you can completely ignore if you want.

If someone really lacks the self-control to not use Fast Travel when they don't want to, then this person probably needs to adress this serious character flaw. And if someone hates that Fast Travel exists and is disgusted by the very sight of it, then they need to probably need to stop getting angry over videogames.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 14, 2013

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

What I don't get in this "no self control" thing is that if you have no self control, what stops you from re-enabling this option?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I too wish for a useless feature to be implemented for no other reason than that it is possible for it to be implemented and some people apparently need to make an optional thing optional.

Also, is there any good way of finding the ambient monsters? I'm kitting out my hearthfire crib, and I'm at the point where I'm done with my trillion nails and iron fittings, and now I have to hunt ten thousands goats for their horns. It seems like the moment I start looking, all the sabre cats, goats and wolves decided they'd go on holiday. I spent half an hour running around with a crossbow and got almost nothing.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 14, 2013

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Let's get off this useless discussion and talk about stuff that actually deserves attention. Like where's the last word of power for soul tear? I got the first one from the dungeon you find Serana and the second one from the lake with the two water dragons.

\/\/\/ Fair point on the spoilers, it's not that big a spoiler anyway. But yeah, that's the one I meant, I'm bad at remembering stuff. Thanks.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 14, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

UoI posted:

Let's get off this useless discussion and talk about stuff that actually deserves attention. Like where's the last word of power for soul tear? I got the first one from the dungeon you find Serana and the second one from the lake with the two water dragons.

Are we still spoilering Dawnguard stuff? Okay.

I think you actually mean Drain Vitality. That's the one in Dimhollow Crypt (Serana) and the Forgotten Vale. The third word is in Arcwind Point. It's west of Autumnwatch Tower and south from the Rift Imperial Camp, down south of Ivarstead. You kinda need to follow a trail up the mountain behind Autumnwatch and follow it around; it'll get really snowy. There's some ancient nord ruins with draugr and a wordwall with a dragon down at the back end of the place, then it loops back up north toward the camp.

Soul Tear is the one you learn from Durnehviir where you get a new word of it every time you summon him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MooCowlian posted:

Also, is there any good way of finding the ambient monsters? I'm kitting out my hearthfire crib, and I'm at the point where I'm done with my trillion nails and iron fittings, and now I have to hunt ten thousands goats for their horns. It seems like the moment I start looking, all the sabre cats, goats and wolves decided they'd go on holiday. I spent half an hour running around with a crossbow and got almost nothing.

I'm pretty sure Sabre cats can at least spawn from animal dens the way bears do, but otherwise I think you just have to wander around, although goats might spawn a little more often in mountains areas, but that might just be confirmation bias on my part. I'd just say grab a couple of quests and walk to them instead of fast traveling; like most irritants, wolves like to jump you when you're preoccupied :v:.

• Locked thread