Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weaponized Cum posted:

Americans:

NBC Sports stream. Every game. Live. It rules. Use it. It's free.

Define free? Free as in "anyone can watch this stuff on the website" or "free if you're paying for an NBC Sports package or have a contract from an approved cable provider" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

psyer posted:

2nd one. Also, you will need a cable provider that has an agreement with NBC too.

Balls. I was hoping some creative DNS fuckery could've unlocked access. Oh well, guess I'll keep paying for Al-Jazeera and hoping the TV situation in Finland unfucks itself.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Urgh, the AJS website is being a piece of poo poo again. I log in, then the page randomly refreshes itself and the sign in button flashes to sign out a couple of times and then I get the classic "login attempts exceeded" message.

When the thing works it's quite good, but the website is such a massive pain in the rear end that I don't think I'll resub for next month to be honest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also it's worth noting that many TVs have separate audio inputs for DVI and VGA inputs. My last three TVs did, at least. The idea is that since they're for connecting computers, you'll probably need a separate audio hookup and can just get sound from the headphone plug.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heads up, Al-Jazeera Sports might be doing something about overseas watchers. Overplay has been giving geoblocked errors all day long and a guy from a Finnish website just tried to get his "login attempts exceeded" account unlocked, and was given a questionnaire with questions about his location and IP.

So if your subscription is on the verge of ending, maybe stop the automatic renewal and wait for a few days to see where this goes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scott Bakula posted:

Its possibly just Hola unblocker being poo poo, I can't get on the fast version of US netflix through it either

Nah, the problem is with Overplay, a paid SmartDNS provider. Hola works fine still.

EDIT:

But yeah the big thing is that a guy who had his account locked for excessive logins (which happens a lot with AJS) got this questionnaire when he asked them to unlock it:

AJS posted:

Hi,
Thank you for your email

1- What is your geographic location?
2- Please send us your IP address,the following link will allow you to find out your IP address. whatismyipaddress.com
3- Please provide us with snapshots of your IP address.
4- What is the town and zip code or post code on the credit card, debit card or PayPal account used to pay for our service?
5- Can you please give me a telephone number which I can call you on to follow up with?
6- Are you using any VPN system?
7- Please provide us with snapshots over the problem you are facing.

Sounds like they're cracking down, so seriously if your month is up, hold off for a few days and see if this is just temporary or the end of the ride.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 14, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Von Linus posted:

I was using hola. Must've done something wrong. Oh well,I went to the pub instead so win win.

Well, poo poo. That doesn't bode well. For what it's worth, Overplay is giving me a geoblock error at the moment, but Hola works. Watched the United game with it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently Overplay have confirmed to some people that AJS have blocked them, but they're trying to work their way around it. And of course my monthly renewal went through yesterday...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Overplay answered my support question and said the issue is now fixed. I haven't had a chance to try for myself yet, but apparently they haven't given up at least.

Also here's a tip someone at another forum figured out: if you're getting constant buffering and drops to lower framerates, rewind the broadcast about a minute and keep watching. I tried it and I'm getting full HD constantly now without any drops to toilet vision.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And the fuckery continues. Can't even access the website with either Hola or Overplay active, but it responds immediately without them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tetsman posted:

The Hola proxy is not really stable but I'd guess Overplay is simply a lovely VPN (if that's what you're paying for).

Overplay do offer a VPN service, but I use them for a SmartDNS solution. They are a bit poo poo to be honest, I used Unblock Us for 9 months without any problems but they don't offer proxy servers in the middle east so I can't watch AJS through them. Might go back to just using Hola and paying for Unblock Us, getting a bit sick of paying for poo poo that doesn't work.

Also panic over, AJS is responding with Hola enabled again. This has been a weekend of thrills and spills.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, unless you're afraid of the law cracking down on you or you absolutely need one, you generally don't want to use a VPN for these kinds of things.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Anyone have any luck with AJS tonight? I'm getting geoblocked on both Hola and Overplay.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People are talking about it on the Unblock Us forums and apparently AJS have changed servers and none of the DNS servers have been updated to reflect this yet. So apparently this is a solution the DNS providers can solve.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 19, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Overplay (supposedly) weighs in on the subject.

Overplay posted:

There are no safeguards and there are unlikely to be any cast-iron solutions from our side. Al Jazeera have been aggressively blocking access to their service - as they're well within their rights to do - and at present the site remains incompatible with SmartDNS.

We're monitoring and staying appraised of the situation, but that is all for the present time.

So like I've repeatedly said, if your month is coming to an end, put your subscription on hold through Paypal or whatever and see where this goes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Long John Power posted:

Confirming that mine is blocked via Hola as well. I would happily throw money at this problem to make it go away.

Well you can, it's working right now via Overplay. They have been getting blocked regularly as well but have made it work so far. No guarantees they can keep doing that, though, but it costs $4,99 a month so no big loss.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Homura posted:

Do I sign up for Global VPN + SmartDNS or just SmartDNS?

SmartDNS is enough, normally.

Long John Power posted:

My Aljaz account won't let me log in anymore so I would have to sub for that again. At the moment I am looking into a VPS in egypt, for a longer term solution. Can't imagine that ending well!

Overplay offer that as well. $9,99 a month I believe.

EDIT: apparently Overplay don't work anymore again. I'm still watching Norwich - Villa, but apparently if you try to refresh the stream or change channels you get geoblocked.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 21, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Long John Power posted:

My logic was if I get my own server with a unique IP they will never be able to block it.

Right, that's definitely true.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Machinegunboyo posted:

Why you gotta do this Al Jazeera? Why you not gonna take my money on the sly? A shame it's come crashing down on Hola, was really enjoying the service.

Apparently loads of bars have been just blatantly streaming AJS matches to their patrons, which is just inviting so much trouble.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

c0burn posted:

Overplay seems to be working fine today!

Yeah, it worked fine for a while yesterday. It'll work until AJS get around to blacklisting their servers and go down again. Rinse and repeat until one side gives up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Anyone else having problems with AJS? I could watch the Spurs game on HD just fine until about 10 minutes ago and now all the streams keep freezing after a minute or two.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Exciting news from the world of dodgy Arabic streams, AJS are now actively hunting down people using VPNs / whatnot. A guy on a Finnish forum got his account frozen with the old "too many logins" thing and when he tried to get it unlocked, this is what they replied:

AJS posted:

Dear customer,

Your IP address here refers that you are located outside the MENA region, therefore you are not able to login and watch. moreover, using any VPN system will affect our service and cause continues blocking to the account.

Your account has been violating our service by using different IP addresses within a short period of time and from different countries, which means either sharing your login details with others or using a proxy program/DNStool to relocate your IP address, and by doing so, you are bypassing our security systems. This is considered a major breach to our service as per our guidelines and regulations. Therefore, your refund request has been rejected.

For any further information about our terms of usage please refer to our Terms & Conditions which you accepted when you subscribed to the service -http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Help/issue/Terms-and-Conditions.

So that's not great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tetsman posted:

Did he actually request a refund though? Because I'm sure there's no way that'd fly really.

I don't know, but a lot of other people who just asked to get their accounts unlocked are getting the same answer word for word, so I'm guessing someone who doesn't speak English or is just following a script is just pasting a generic "gently caress you" answer to everyone from outside the MENA region.

My second month is almost done and I won't renew, it's been too dicey. I guess I'll look into Premier League Pass or just loving swallow my pride and pay too much money for way worse TV coverage than last season.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jamsta posted:

Or the other option: Wiziwig and the streams of woe.

Yeah. Which is not a terrible option for a United supporter, there always seems to be a really high quality stream available. But I'd gladly pay good cash money for something like we had last season: 5 HD channels which showed all the matches, letting me pick and choose. Then they discontinued it even though they bought the 380 game rights from the premier league.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weaponized Cum posted:

How plausible is it to use a proxy and borrow a login from an American friend to let you borrow their cable login to watch through NBC Sports?

It's a great service.

Sure sounds like it. I guess one option would be to find one of my many american friends and talk them into going halfsies on a subscription. They could watch on the telly, I'd watch on the Internet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NinjaSteve posted:

I'm assuming that living in Aus I'd need to use Hola or whatever to sign up? Do they crack down on users outside NZ that you know of, like AJS did/are doing?

At least not yet, apparently. The troubles with AJS started when pubs and bars started buying subscriptions and just showing the games in public, which drew the Premier League's ire. Let's hope that doesn't happen with PLP.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is anyone still using Al-Jazeera? I closed my sub last month and have heard from local lads that it's actually working decently now. Better quality and less geoblocking. Can anyone comment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hallowed Turban posted:

I wonder if it's working well now because everyone flocked away from their service, possibility mayhaps.

Mayhaps. Apparently they upped the bitrate to 4500 or something recently, so that might explain the quality.

• Locked thread