Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

No one else knows this because I was one of the few to play to the end, but the game throws another curveball during the endgame; throughout the game you control a spaceman, his sister, and a cybernetic dog with rocket feet. Like everyone else, I mostly played as the dog because he loving ruled, and as such got almost every upgrade specifically for him. In the final level, you can only play as the spaceman, leading to me going into the final battle (which was one of those multi-stage, hour-long affairs) with a pretty gimped character. loving Rare :argh:

I also finished Jet Force Gemini and this is indeed a serious gently caress you from Rare. Juno's cool and all but Lupus is easily the best character because of his hoverjets. To clarify for people who didn't play the game: every level had ammo capacity upgrades all over the place, and one of the really cool (seeming) things about the game is that if you skip over them with the first character to go through a level, you can go back once you have full character selection freedom and get them on anybody, allowing you to turn any of the three into a total superman because you never run out of rockets and such. This is great if you chose Juno to be your superman but who the gently caress would choose Juno over Lupus without foreknowledge?

YOURFRIEND posted:

The problem with quest 64 was that every time you won a battle your guy would jump up in the air, spin in a random direction and completely disorient you from where you wanted to go because everything mostly looks the same. Otherwise I think it's a really fun JRPG with an oddly unique feel to it.

This is how you can get lost forever in the Ice Caverns, basically. Random battles every two steps and constant reorientation. I know there's a desert later in the game and I bet that was super difficult to navigate due to sameiness too.

Jellymouth posted:

Gex: Enter the Gecko, and Gex 3 aren't often held in high regard (especially the former), but they have a special place in my memories of the N64.

Each game was comprised multiple 3d platforming worlds centered around a small hub world, plues a few smaller worlds containing a single boss fight or some sort of time-trial challenge. Each world was based on some sort of genre of television or film. There were worlds that took place in a cartoon universe, haunted horror-themed universes, scif-fi worlds, WWII battlefields, an anime-themed world filled with Gundam-esque robots and fan-crazed Japanese schoolgirls, and even an underwater world featuring platforming segments on a progressively sinking Titanic. There were boss fights against thinly veiled knock-offs of the Wizard from The Wizard of Oz and Godzilla, and there were smaller worlds housing single challenges that were clearly references to Indiana Jones and Saturday Night Fever.

The controls were sometimes clunky and the graphics often came off as crude and gaudy, even for a Nintendo 64 game. The main character will repeatedly spout off "witty" one-liners, sometimes painful to hear, about the world he was currently in (mostly quotes from whatever series the world was emulating) in a thick New York accent. Needless to say, they're not perfect games, but they have character if nothing else.

These games are so fantastic. They're not as good as the first/second party platformers like Banjo Kazooie, which is why I think they're not as well remembered, but they are totally worth playing for anyone who missed them but always wanted more N64 platforming. The PSX versions are a little better if only because they had more space for a wider variety of stupid :krad: one-liners, but the N64 versions were still great.

Looper posted:

Actually, your little cowlick dude would jump up and face the direction you were running before the battle started! :eng101:

:aaaaa:

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure that every single N64 game I got from Blockbuster as a kid was played for at least 10 hours. Those were the days. :')

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Xaris posted:

God drat this thread has made me want to replay Banjo-Kazooie. I'm going to dig out my N64 out of my parent's attic and pray it still works.

Nintendo cartridge consoles were drat near indestructible. A few issues come up like the contact points on the NES, the vertical stripe on the SNES, and the Joysticks on the N64, but overall they were super reliable compared to newer systems. I remember practically every friend I have going through multiple PS2s, and there's probably only a handful of first gen 360's still working.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
With how crazy sick flash memory is now, it'd be cool if Nintendo somehow released a tv console with cartridges again. :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

With how crazy sick flash memory is now, it'd be cool if Nintendo somehow released a tv console with cartridges again. :allears:

After already shooting themselves in the foot with WiiU?

They've got nothing to lose in anymore, count me in!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd buy it. :shepspends:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

blackguy32 posted:

I also remember that I got Winback for Christmas one year and I beat it several times. It was a much longer game than I thought it would be. Also, I remember some people were passing it off as Nintendo's answer to Metal Gear Solid and they played nothing alike.
I begged my mom for this game after reading "Nintendo's Metal Gear Solid!" on the back of the box. Like you said, not anything remotely like MGS, but still fun. I remember a little trick to getting conistent headshots. Your auto-aim targets enemies' chests. But if you pull the trigger right when you lock on, you could get a headshot immediately. That got ingrained in my muscle memory. I bet if I played it now, I would get back in the groove pretty quickly.

I loved having a 64 back in the day. I mainly used it for Zelda and party games, so I think the original Playstation would have been lost on me. If the only games I could ever play again were Smash Bros, Conker, the 64 Zeldas, Goldeneye, NFL Blitz, and WCW/NWO Revenge, I would be ok with it.

While I was in college, my sister took our 64 to law school. It was the family's system, and I wasn't playing it, so whatever. But I hid Conker's Bad Fur Day so she would never lose it. But I forgot where I hid it years ago.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wolfsheim posted:

Goldeneye was the first FPS that every really clicked with me, and I spent probably a hundred hours playing it. Not just the multiplayer, either; I loved replaying the missions over and over (so much time spent keeping 006 alive in the Facility level) turning on various cheats (enemy rockets and enemy slo-mo was one of my favorites) and just generally breaking the game.

I'd turn on Invincibility, Go to Silo, then set off a time bomb immediately and let the constant explosions follow me through the rest of the level and kill everything as soon as I walked into a room. It never got old.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

poo poo after knowing they pulled off RE2 with the limitations of the time, I'd love to see a team just make new poo poo for the N64 and solder SD cards to the cart boards. How much fun would it be to play N64 ports of PS1 games that otherwise would never have a chance in hell of happening originally?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Dunno-Lars posted:

I suggest adding a quick guide/advice to replacing joysticks in the OP, as I'm sure many people have old, worn controllers, that can be good as new with just a new stick.

I feel that the OP is long enough as it is. That, and I want it to be focused on the games and the nostalgia factor, rather than repair & modding guides. It's an easy Google search for anyone who needs to fix the stick (I fixed mine without any help besides finding a website that sold OEM replacements - for any apprehensive types, no exotic tools or soldering are required).

Mak0rz posted:

That (Z-buffer mode) was showcased in the video too :haw:

That's it (@ 2:01)! Many thanks!! :D

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Seeing much love for the Rush series here. I feel like the Burnout series was inspired by them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Best use of the n64 Gameshark was airwalk mode for Platformers where you would hold the shoulder buttons and rise up into the air and get into areas you normally couldn't.

But it still has nothing on the Donkey Kong 64 cheat of Magnetic bananas. Time slowed down when you entered a stage, why you ask? It's because all the collectables would rush towards you and hit your character thereby completing the entire zone's worth of stuff to collect in minutes(because you were getting 2 frames per second).

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One other thing I really liked about old games, but especially on the N64, was cheat codes. When I was little, I had no idea what a clip was. What I did know was putting turning the unlimited clip code on made me a non-stop gatling gun. I'm honestly not sure if I could have gotten in to gaming without cheats. I was pretty impatient and probably would have gotten annoyed by dying so much.

It gets in to :tinfoil: territory, but I swear loving achievements are what killed cheat codes. We went from bobble head mode and Get All Guns to +10 points for finishing a cutscene. :(

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Blast of Confetti posted:

It gets in to :tinfoil: territory, but I swear loving achievements are what killed cheat codes. We went from bobble head mode and Get All Guns to +10 points for finishing a cutscene. :(

This has been debunked time and time again but the talking point stays alive because nostalgic hardcores love to hate on cheevos. The truth is that it's a combination of games being more complex thanks to things like physics, console quality assurance standards being stricter, Hot Coffee making devs paranoid about unused content, game design philosophy shifting towards unlockables and rewards, and the simple fact that cheat codes were a marketing gimmick ("leak" cheat codes to Nintendo Power a month or two after your game comes out, watch sales spike again) that is no longer effective in the internet age.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This has been debunked time and time again but the talking point stays alive because nostalgic hardcores love to hate on cheevos. The truth is that it's a combination of games being more complex thanks to things like physics, console quality assurance standards being stricter, Hot Coffee making devs paranoid about unused content, game design philosophy shifting towards unlockables and rewards, and the simple fact that cheat codes were a marketing gimmick ("leak" cheat codes to Nintendo Power a month or two after your game comes out, watch sales spike again) that is no longer effective in the internet age.

Fair enough, I just miss the goofy stuff. I shouldn't have to gently caress around with a phone to spawn vehicles in weapons in my GTA games! :argh:

I don't necessarily hate achievements, but if I had to pick between one or the other I'd go with some fun cheats every time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Then why the hell did they neuter the new reborn game genie? They tried to block it because it would allow people to be granted instant cheeves.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Then why the hell did they neuter the new reborn game genie? They tried to block it because it would allow people to be granted instant cheeves.

With how big a focus there is on network integrity (including millions of dollars of digital purchases) I can kinda see why they wouldn't be keen on letting people directly loving with their consoles.

There are countless reasons why the modern-day, always-online entertainment center slash game console would want to maintain integrity beyond imaginary game points.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I remember having a lot of fun playing Forsaken. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGIAM7Ol3g

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

sitchelin posted:

Superpad Plus N64 controllers were really, really good. They were basically Gamecube controllers, the stick never wore out! See if you can dig one up on Ebay or Amazon, they were miles ahead of stock N64 controllers. I had 4 of them so my buds and I could terrorize each other playing Diddy Kong Racing and NFL Blitz.

I had one of these too and it worked like a dream. Plus mine had a turbo button so I was able to finally get through those bullshit mash-A sections in some games (Banjo-Tooie)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

I had one of these too and it worked like a dream. Plus mine had a turbo button so I was able to finally get through those bullshit mash-A sections in some games (Banjo-Tooie)

I seriously have no idea how Rare expected people to beat the Canary Mary segments without autofire.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

nihil morari posted:

I remember having a lot of fun playing Forsaken. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'd forgotten all about Forsaken but yeah it was awesome, one of the first games that I picked up on release. I liked the way you could find ways to skip between the different level branches (easy, medium, hard). That drat Save the Drone mission sucked though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I seriously have no idea how Rare expected people to beat the Canary Mary segments without autofire.

:eng101: The race in Cloud Cuckoo Land is literally impossible to beat with consistent-frequency button mashing, unless you exceed an inhuman limit (which can be done with turbo controllers), because of how Mary's rubberbanding works.

Towards the last third or so of the race she's programmed to go twice as fast as your fastest speed before that point, or something along those lines. The secret is to start out slow and then go nuts near the end. You don't have to press much rapidly at all.

I can do about 15 presses a second and I still couldn't beat her until I discovered that.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 6, 2013

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: The race in Cloud Cuckoo Land is literally impossible to beat with consistent-frequency button mashing, unless you exceed an inhuman limit (which can be done with turbo controllers), because of how Mary's rubberbanding works.

Towards the last third or so of the race she's programmed to go twice as fast as your fastest speed before that point, or something along those lines. The secret is to start out slow and then go nuts near the end. You don't have to press much rapidly at all.

I can do about 15 presses a second and I still couldn't beat her until I discovered that.

Sure wish I'd known about this way back when... -_-

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Sure wish I'd known about this way back when... -_-

You and I both! I only managed to do it when I got the Xbox version a few years ago.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Rocketlex posted:

Iggy's Reckin Balls
Chameleon Twist 2

If you asked me to name two N64 forgotten gems, these would be the first two that come to mind. Iggy's Recking Balls was awesome, except there was a catch-up item in multiplayer that was totally overpowered (I think it took you from last place to second?). Both Chameleon Twist games were totally entertaining. Crazy chameleon tongues, good times.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

nihil morari posted:

Forsaken multiplayer was a good change of pace. The weapons were insanely unbalanced, though.

Speaking of changes of pace with completely unbalanced weapons, I had a lot of fun with Duke Nukem 64 multi. Most of my friends hated it though. At least it had better frame rates than Goldeneye.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did anyone play the Ace Combat ripoff Aerofighters Assault? I really doubt it's a good game at all on its own merits, but man, good memories of playing that back in 4th grade. Even if the time limits usually stopped me from getting past the third level or so.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aerofighters Assault wasn't really an Ace Combat ripoff, I don't think. Aerofighters was already a series, they just made a 3D one.

I liked it, aside from the like 10 frames per second it ran at.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I thought Aerofighters Assault was good, but not great. It was an ambitious game, definitely going for a simulation style. The sensation of flying a jet fighter is done well, and the HUD is authentic-looking. But the graphics are lacking, with poor long-distance detail. You can't tell what you're moving toward until you're close to it. You're also pointing the wrong way a lot. A good compass/U-turn system is all I ask for in a flying game...

This is what I recall, at least. I haven't played it since the 90's, so taking my review with a grain of salt might be a good idea... ;)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I guess another game I had fond memories that I don't think has been mentioned is Shadows of the Empire . Lucas Arts used to be a name I was excited to see :(

I mean it was frustrating and I don't think I ever beat it, but still I liked it, even if only for the first handful of levels.

Edit: Doh. It was in the OP. I mistook the screenshot for Rouge Squadron.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 7, 2013

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
To this day, my favorite Tetris offshoot is Tetrisphere. Somebody make a new Tetrisphere, please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UNEGq7yUtU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Static Rook posted:

To this day, my favorite Tetris offshoot is Tetrisphere. Somebody make a new Tetrisphere, please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UNEGq7yUtU

I hate Tetris but have a strange fascination with Tetrisphere. Somehow, it all makes more sense in 3D.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Everybody seems to love Banjo-Tooie, but I can't say I was all that thrilled with it. The hub area didn't have half the charm of Grunty's Lair in BK1, and a lot of the levels felt like a convoluted mess (Grunty Industries, oh man). I still adore BK1 though. Still stands up today.

PrinceRandom posted:

I guess another game I had fond memories that I don't think has been mentioned is Shadows of the Empire . Lucas Arts used to be a name I was excited to see :(

I mean it was frustrating and I don't think I ever beat it, but still I liked it, even if only for the first handful of levels.

In longstanding video game tradition, that sewer was -the worst-. All of the vehicle based stuff was pretty cool, though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Vargs posted:

Everybody seems to love Banjo-Tooie, but I can't say I was all that thrilled with it. The hub area didn't have half the charm of Grunty's Lair in BK1, and a lot of the levels felt like a convoluted mess (Grunty Industries, oh man). I still adore BK1 though. Still stands up today.

Banjo-Tooie got a lot more fun when you realized it was secretly a Metroidvania in 3D and not your standard collectathon.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vargs posted:

Tooie suffered a lot from feature creep. Like, Kazooie had its fair share of minigames but Tooie had a ridiculous amount of then, many of which required skills completely separate from the main game (like the many FPS segments, racing games, turret segments, rail shooters, button-mashing contests, etc.) and were horribly balanced and frustrating either due to poor controls or just general incompetence.

And the levels were definitely way too big and sprawling for their own good. Having to trek across a huge level each and every time you wanted to get to the one jiggy you hadn't earned was a total slog.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PrinceRandom posted:

Without Shadows of the Empire there would be no Rogue Squadron, though. The Hoth level was so drat good they realized they could make a game out of it. The original RS was fantastic, one of my favorite games for the console. The sequel ended up being one of the best games on the Gamecube, too. Something about it was so goddamn satisfying.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PrinceRandom posted:

That game also had the loving WORST cheat to put in by yourself as a child. I had the hand size to cover all the buttons but goddamnit I wasn't a patient child :( gently caress it up once and ugh start over!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

I know the N64 controller guide claims there are three possible ways to hold the the game pad depending on the game. So were there any that had left hand on the D-pad&L and right hand on the ControlStick&Z?

I'm guessing not, but my 11-year-old self would've liked to see a novelty game that contrives something stupid like that. Heck, I'd still want to see it.

Fake Edit: This says Sin & Punishment (Japan only until the Wii Virtual Console) was developed with the left position in mind initially, before they realized it was really stupid.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and probably Turok or some poo poo, had dual stick control schemes where you double fisted N64 controllers. Does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

homeless snail posted:

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and probably Turok or some poo poo, had dual stick control schemes where you double fisted N64 controllers. Does that count?

Is that what that was for? Whenever I used it was with a friend, taking turns. One person would control movement and the other would control aim and fire.

• Locked thread