Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was even worse if you were an RPG fan, where you went from the SNES being a golden age to having Paper Mario and...Quest 64?

I loving loved Quest 64 and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say the same. A friend of mine offered to sell it to me for like 10 bucks but I was 12 and didn't have any money so welp. I still regret it, I should ask him if he still has the cart next time I see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

catlord posted:

I never had consoles growing up (my mum hated fun and consoles would rot my brain), but one of my friends had an N64 (and a Playstation, but I only remember Crash Team Racing, I think), and once I went over and they had Quest 64. I think it might have been rented? I have no idea, but I was completely taken with it. The only RPGs I remember before then was Baldur's Gate (which I wasn't allowed to play, but could watch my dad play), and something about Quest 64 was just so amazing. Another friend had the Gameboy version, I remember borrowing it (and getting stuck at like, the first boss).

But what was the big game, the one we always played every time, was Super Smash Bros. I'm excited for the Super Smash Bros. Wii U because I still play the games with friends when I'm hanging out with them.

That same Quest 64 friend has a sister who's five(?) years older than we are, and one night when we were 12 she had a bunch of her friends over to play Smash, and my buddy and I kicked the poo poo out of all those older scrubs :smug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

folgore posted:

Did anyone else play Body Harvest? I really got a kick out of that game. Couldn't beat the last level with the hovercraft on the alien asteroid, though.

I didn't even realize until recently that its devs, DMA Design, eventually became Rockstar North. So all that time I was enjoying what was basically the proto-GTA3. It's undoubtedly aged like poo poo but who cares.

I borrowed it from a friend for a spell but couldn't get past the first world :( I don't know if it was confusing or if I just sucked at it.

Also thanks Wendigo Johnson for reminding me that Gauntlet: Legends exists, definitely one of my favorites on the system and I may have gotten enough people together in college a few years ago to do a full four-player campaign, or at least I had people rotating in and out enough where I did the whole campaign on multiplayer. So much fun, some of those ice levels were confusing as poo poo. Green Wizard -> Green Minotaur -> Yellow Jackal for life, shitlords.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm sorry, but Blue Knight was the go-to character for Gauntlet, if only for his single line when picking up food: "SWEET NUTRIENTS!"

Knight wasn't in Legends, he was in Dark Legacy :spergin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

sitchelin posted:

Superpad Plus N64 controllers were really, really good. They were basically Gamecube controllers, the stick never wore out! See if you can dig one up on Ebay or Amazon, they were miles ahead of stock N64 controllers. I had 4 of them so my buds and I could terrorize each other playing Diddy Kong Racing and NFL Blitz.

I had one of these too and it worked like a dream. Plus mine had a turbo button so I was able to finally get through those bullshit mash-A sections in some games (Banjo-Tooie)

• Locked thread