Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Boo hiss. Heckle! After being a rabid Nintendo fanboy throughout the Sega vs Nintendo wars, this generation was the one that made me fall out of love with Nintendo. The SNES had all of the games. ALL OF THEM. Suddenly, the very next generation saw me bemoaning the lack of games for my console as the PS was getting all of the JRPGs that I was used to Nintendo having, plus about 80% of all other games on the market. Mario 64 and Zelda and all the other first party titles were great, but after being on the side that had all of the games through the NES and SNES generations, it was really a kick in the pants to see that so rapidly reversed. The straw that broke the camel's back was FF7. There were already lots of other good games out for the PS at that juncture of pretty much every genre and style. Meanwhile I was trapped in N64land with few games and a bunch of kiddy rear end poo poo. Not that there's anything wrong with all-ages games, it just sucks when that's all you have as third party developers with other great types of games were all jumping ship.

FF7 was amazing and a huge eye-opener to what I'd been missing out on. It would have been both technically and stylistically impossible to pull off on the N64 and it showed. I jumped ship and never looked back until late in the Gamecube generation, and even then only to play on friends' systems. Though I now own a Wii and am current on all the new Zelda games, in each subsequent generation Nintendo has continued to pigeonhole itself in the way the N64 generation pioneered. It's obviously worked for them since they're still in business, but it makes an ONF (Orginal Nintendo Fanboy, obviously) pine for the NES and SNES days when all sorts of different kinds of games were flying out like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

J-Spot posted:

The N64 was definitely the start of their downfall as a console manufacturer, but they were still at the top of their game in the software department.

To be fair, it's not even much of a downfall considering the success of the Wii generation. It is clearly a step down from their dominance of the 8 and 16 bit generations however. And yeah, some of the games that came out ended up being genre-defining titles. Going from the SNES to the N64 was still incredibly disappointing though.

C-Euro posted:

I loving loved Quest 64 and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say the same. A friend of mine offered to sell it to me for like 10 bucks but I was 12 and didn't have any money so welp. I still regret it, I should ask him if he still has the cart next time I see him.

The main problem with Quest 64 is that it did a lot of stuff that had been done better before, in a completely bland setting. Like Mystic Quest, it was solid at what it was trying to be, but fairly weak sauce when compared to the competition.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Jazerus posted:

So I've always wondered exactly why people hate Quest 64.

By this point we'd been out of vanilla Dragon Quest territory for a long time. We were in the trailing edge of the ~Golden Age of Console RPGs~ and any serious RPG gamer had been through gems like FF2 and 3 American, Motherfucking Chrono Trigger, the Phantasy Star games, and so forth. FF7 had been out for nearly a year when Quest 64 was released, and Suikoden 2 was released not long after. But forget about those immediate contemporaries, Quest 64 was a step backward from the previous generation of RPGs in pretty much every way that mattered. The blandness was the biggest and most immediate turn off, given that every other RPG featured amazingly unique settings by this point. Still, it wasn't so much that it was a bad game. It wasn't. It simply paled in comparison to all the competition. It was at this point that you got really butthurt if you were an RPG player who only owned an N64. For some it was simply that straw, but this camel's back broke at just about the time FF7 was released, a year before. So I'm not quite as bitter about the game.

I personally have a bigger hate-on for Mystic Quest. At least the magic system in Quest 64 was interesting. Mystic Quest managed to do nothing interesting or exciting through its entire length. gently caress that game. Yeah I know it wasn't for the N64. Still, gently caress it.

To cut the bitching a little bit, I have to say that the gems for N64 were totally worth it. These have all been mentioned but Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, and Smash Corps all came out of nowhere and rocked socks. There were also plenty not-out-of-nowhere games that ended up being totally solid like Perfect Dark and (a personal pick than many find boring) that Starfox adventure game. The latter of which unfortunately had some slightly strange sexual undertones and a blue fox lady that furries latched onto. Why does she have a stripper name? Who knows! Why does she do STRIPPER POSES?!? It is an equally large mystery! What can I say though, I liked the level design and flow of gameplay. I... uh... promise. Guys? ....Guys?!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Synthetic Hermit posted:

You appear to have fused Super Smash Bros. and Blast Corps together. Sounds cool! :cool:

Ah, word. That's what I get for not double checking the titles before I posted. Oh well, call it premature senility.

quote:

Also, Star Fox Adventures is a GameCube game. Originally developed for the N64, but totally GC in the end (Animal Crossing had a similar fate - N64 in Japan, GC in the west)

That... is a bit weirder. I'm not sure how I even played that game then, because I never owned a gamecube. :psyduck: A friend did in college, but if it was then that I played the game, it makes me enjoying it even more bizarre. Thanks jerk, now I'm having an existential crisis.

• Locked thread