Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I've heard over 10 Rush albums, and I'm kind of surprised I don't love them by now. They're very listenable and rarely less than adequate, but I just don't feel truly passionate about them, dammit, and I'm out of reputedly great Rush albums except for Clockwork Angels. I feel like at least a solid 1/3 of almost every Rush album I've heard is too bland to be memorable.

I had this problem. Watch their documentary, Beyond the Lighted Stage. It's a fun movie, the guys have great chemistry together, and you get to learn a little more about the albums (hopefully inspiring another listen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
I always find their work so sterile, but I like the playing and melodies. Does anyone know if they've put out a live album?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Art Alexakis posted:

I always find their work so sterile, but I like the playing and melodies. Does anyone know if they've put out a live album?

All The World's a Stage (1976)
Exit...Stage Left (1982)
A Show Of Hands (1987)
Different Stages (1998)
Rush In Rio (2002)
R30 (2004)
Snakes and Arrows Live (2007?)
Time Machine (2012?)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Exit...Stage Left (1982)
A Show Of Hands (1987)
Different Stages (1998)
Rush In Rio (2002)
R30 (2004)
Time Machine (2012?)

Exit...stage left has my favorite performance of YYZ on it and its a pretty great live album. Snakes and arrows live is quite good as well

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Exit...stage left has my favorite performance of YYZ on it and its a pretty great live album. Snakes and arrows live is quite good as well

They're all good (haven't heard S&AL or TM). Different Stages is the best one though.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Exit...Stage Left (1982)
A Show Of Hands (1987)
Different Stages (1998)
Rush In Rio (2002)
R30 (2004)
Time Machine (2012?)

Clockwork Angels Tour came out recently too. That one has the string ensemble on it, so it's worth a listen.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
What's with all the CoS hate? I love that album. The guitar solo in Necromancer is awesome, and the one in FoL during the really slow bluesy part (where Neil's playing all those 16th notes on the hihat) gets me every time. Bastille Day kicks rear end, ITIGB is meant to be funny and it's got a great riff. And while the lyrics to Lakeside Park are cheesy, it's got a cool, unique groove to it. Though on the other hand, FoL as a whole is mediocre. I can't stand the Panacea section.

I've given Clockwork Angels quite a few tries. I just can't get into it. Carnies has that kickass opening riff, but the rest of the song falls flat in comparison. Headlong Flight is awesome (though I don't know of I feel about the reuse of that bass and drum syncopation from Bastille Day...) and Seven Cities of Gold is really cool. The title track would be cool but for the lyrics, and that bridge section ("...As if to fly..." blah!) And Caravan and BU2B are pretty cool. But the album as a whole is a disappointment. S&A was, musically, the same style, but done much better.

I need to swipe the Vapor Trails remaster from my dad. I got it for him for Christmas, and he still hasn't opened it. He was the one that turned me onto Rush by sitting me down to watch the Exit...Stage Left vhs when I was five.

Different Stages is definitely their best live album. That version of Driven with the bass solo is awesome. Not to mention that version of Leave That Thing Along, The Rhythm Method, all of 2112, and everything else on that album.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Fly By Night yet. I think it's pretty good. It's worth buying if only for Bytor And The Snow Dog (say what you will about the lyrics...). That whole first side is great! Side two on the other hand is lack-luster at best, but for Fly By Night and In The End.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Prog Doctor posted:

I've given Clockwork Angels quite a few tries. I just can't get into it. Carnies has that kickass opening riff, but the rest of the song falls flat in comparison. Headlong Flight is awesome (though I don't know of I feel about the reuse of that bass and drum syncopation from Bastille Day...) and Seven Cities of Gold is really cool. The title track would be cool but for the lyrics, and that bridge section ("...As if to fly..." blah!) And Caravan and BU2B are pretty cool. But the album as a whole is a disappointment. S&A was, musically, the same style, but done much better.

There's great riffs all over the record.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BigFactory posted:

There's great riffs all over the record.

As there are on every Rush album. But great riffs need to be supported by great songs. The Anarchist isn't bad, but Halo Effect I could do without, same with The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Garden. If anyone likes those songs, that's awesome. But for my taste, that's filler tracks for 1/3 of the album.

For me, it was just a disappointment coming after S&A. It just wasn't as good. It's still a good album - it's Rush, after all - but not as good as I was expecting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Prog Doctor posted:

As there are on every Rush album. But great riffs need to be supported by great songs. The Anarchist isn't bad, but Halo Effect I could do without, same with The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Garden. If anyone likes those songs, that's awesome. But for my taste, that's filler tracks for 1/3 of the album.

For me, it was just a disappointment coming after S&A. It just wasn't as good. It's still a good album - it's Rush, after all - but not as good as I was expecting.

There's a million snoozers on S&A. After Far Cry the album is all filler. But you have to go back to the 80's to get riffs as memorable as the ones on CA. Not saying the album as a whole is great but the riffs are. Halo Effect and Wreckers are bad songs, no 2 ways about it. Wish Them Well rules, you should listen to it again. And The Garden isn't a bad song but it's the last (and best) of like 4 mid-tempo ballads that all blend into each other by the end. It's better outside of the context of the record.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BigFactory posted:

There's a million snoozers on S&A. After Far Cry the album is all filler. But you have to go back to the 80's to get riffs as memorable as the ones on CA. Not saying the album as a whole is great but the riffs are. Halo Effect and Wreckers are bad songs, no 2 ways about it. Wish Them Well rules, you should listen to it again. And The Garden isn't a bad song but it's the last (and best) of like 4 mid-tempo ballads that all blend into each other by the end. It's better outside of the context of the record.

I love every song on S&A - except Good News First and We Hold On. Those two are mediocre. I had CA playing in my car today to and from work (listened to it twice through). I just can't get into Wish Them Well. It just doesn't do anything for me. Hopefully after their year long hiatus, they'll start work on a new album, and hopefully I'll like that one better. I think they're do for another shift in sound.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Art Alexakis posted:

Disc 3 of Different Stages is one of their Farewell to Kings-era live shows. I love how raw and not-overrehearsed it sounds compared to every post -1980 live record.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Fountain of Lamneth is my favorite Rush piece and I'm not afraid to say it. I get why people were turned off by it when it came out, but in more of a vacuum-like state, it stands out as a great conceptual piece in my opinion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was hoping there was going to be some news about a tour or something. Nope, just a guy saying he likes fountain of Lamneth. Oh well.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Sorry, man. :(

Note: this is also not news of a tour.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Saw them in Halifax NS awhile back. Best Three Piece ever. They did like a 4 hour set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
R40 tour announced

In year 41

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
But how do you feel about Fountain of Lamneth?

e: Awesome.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This makes me feel old because the R30 show I went to feels like it was yesterday. Though probably not as old as actual old people.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

This makes me feel old because the R30 show I went to feels like it was yesterday. Though probably not as old as actual old people.

Same. I saw them at Radio City on that tour. Really bummed they're not playing there again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
According to reports, R40 will probably be their last major tour, so you'd better see them now!

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
i'm sure im not the only person who doesn't listen to anything beyond "hemispheres." the u-turn they make from that record to "power windows" onwards still astonishes me

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vedicardi posted:

i'm sure im not the only person who doesn't listen to anything beyond "hemispheres." the u-turn they make from that record to "power windows" onwards still astonishes me

Power windows is their best record but I felt the same way at one point. I was 14 but still. Rush is a better power pop band than a prog rock band.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Woohoo, 19th row floor seats obtained.

I really hope they play a lot of never-heard stuff and make this a proper retrospective this time.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Ticket prices for MSG were absurd - $220 for mediocre lower bowl seating - so I think I might skip out on this tour. The next-best option is upper bowl for $120, which is also just ridiculous.

I'm bummed, because I count Rush as one of my favorite bands ever, but I can't justify tickets that cost that much for seats as lovely as most of MSG. Stupid classic rock bands and their stupid arena shows :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

AlternateAccount posted:

Woohoo, 19th row floor seats obtained.

I really hope they play a lot of never-heard stuff and make this a proper retrospective this time.

Here's a list of Rush songs never played live, organized by album:

Rush
-Take a Friend
Fly By Night
-Making Memories
-Rivendell
Caress of Steel
-I Think I'm Going Bald
-Lessons
-Tears
A Farewell to Kings
-Madrigal
Permanent Waves
-Different Strings
Signals
-Losing It
Power Windows
-Emotion Detector
Hold Your Fire
-Open Secrets
-Second Nature
-Tai Shan
-High Water
Presto
-Chain Lightning
-Anagram (For Mongo)
-Red Tide
-Hand Over Fist
-Available Light
Roll the Bones
-Face Up
-The Big Wheel
-Heresy
-Neurotica
-You Bet Your Life
Counterparts
-Cut To the Chase
-Alien Shore
-The Speed of Love
-Everyday Glory
Test for Echo
-The Color of Right
-Totem
-Dog Years
-Carve Away the Stone
Vapor Trails
-Peaceable Kingdom
-The Stars Look Down
-How It Is
-Vapor Trail
-Sweet Miracle
-Nocturne
-Freeze
-Out of the Cradle
Snakes & Arrows
-Bravest Face
-Good News First
-We Hold On
Clockwork Angels
-BU2B2

A few hidden gems, but mostly forgettable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainYesterday posted:

Hold Your Fire
-Open Secrets
-High Water
Presto
-Chain Lightning
-Anagram (For Mongo)
-Red Tide
-Hand Over Fist
-Available Light
Roll the Bones
-Face Up
-The Big Wheel
-Heresy
-Neurotica
-You Bet Your Life
Counterparts
-Cut To the Chase
-Alien Shore
-The Speed of Love
-Everyday Glory
Test for Echo
-The Color of Right
-Dog Years
-Carve Away the Stone
Vapor Trails
-Peaceable Kingdom
-The Stars Look Down
-How It Is
-Vapor Trail
-Sweet Miracle
-Nocturne
-Freeze

Songs that I would totally flip my poo poo to hear.

Maybe throw in Lessons too

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 31, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, some of those are pretty great. Poor counterparts gets no love. I am okay with that, even though it was the first Rush album I ever bought.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm kind of amazed that they've never played Chain Lightning live.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Would give my left nut to hear some of these.

Definitely Tears, basically everything from HYF and Presto (maybe not Tai Shan), Everyday Glory...

I saw them on the Snakes & Arrows tour, and of all the stuff they did from the record, I'm amazed they didn't do We Hold On. That thing really cooks.

Also, I get that the Vapor Trails tour was more a "hey we're back" tour, but you'd think they'd have done more from it.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 2, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think part of the problem was that usually they pull out a couple of tracks from the previous album when they tour for a current album, but after Vapor Trails there was a big break with the R30 tour in between and not really the spot for VT material. That stuff might be/have been tough for Neil too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This new tour also means that even best case, a lot of this stuff will never get played live. :[

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Popular Human posted:

I'm kind of amazed that they've never played Chain Lightning live.

I feel that way about I Think I'm Going Bald, it's one of Alex's best riffs imho

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
Bought my tickets yesterday. They were pretty cheap for a band of their stature, but then I am in the American South. I'm going with some Canadian friends who are over the moon about seeing Rush at a fraction of the price it would cost in the snowbound hellscape they call home.

Fun story: I don't usually like to get all "I'm a GIRL, on the INTERNET," but it's relevant. I saw the Vapor Trails tour when I was eighteen, and it was basically like running a gauntlet of creepy uncles. One dude who had to have been fifty was wearing nothing but a leather vest and snakeskin-print pants, and he asked me if I had an "old soul" and if I would be interested in coming back to his house for a tarot card reading. It was all on the up and up, you see, because he lived with his mother.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That sounds about right.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
My boyfriend has been mocking me incessantly since I bought the tickets. "Are you going to sip from a dragon-shaped flask every time they do a musical arrangement about sentient factories?"

Also, the thread needs this:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Indeed it does. I saw them on the Time Machine Tour in Long Island and ran into Jordan Rudess, that was awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

To Battle posted:

Indeed it does. I saw them on the Time Machine Tour in Long Island and ran into Jordan Rudess, that was awesome.

I was at will call behind Nuno Bettencourt on a Test for Echo show.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

BigFactory posted:

I was at will call behind Nuno Bettencourt on a Test for Echo show.

Nice, it is true what they say, it is the band other bands want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

To Battle posted:

Nice, it is true what they say, it is the band other bands want to see.

I mean, Nuno Bettencourt and Jordan Rudess are loving D list rockstars, but sure.

• Locked thread