Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

People don't like Caress of Steel? Bastille Day is pretty rockin', I Think I'm Going Bald is goofy and has a great cock-rock riff, and The Necromancer's intro instantly transports you to sitting on a bean bag chair, with headphones on, smoking a joint, with lava lamps all around you.

CaptainYesterday I think you should mention the movie Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage. It's a great look at their entire career and the effect and influence they've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

BigFactory posted:

If memory serves, it was around the rtb tour era that they decided to go heavy on triggers and samples, the rationale being that they would have otherwise had to bring more people on stage to play live and the fans would rather see them as a trio and suspend disbelief.

I don't know how scientific that poll was (there was no poll. they didn't want to have to pay more musicians), but whatever. It's a stage show, a la Kiss, and has been for a long time. Still a pretty good show, but I'd probably go and see 4 or 5 shows on a tour if they changed up setlists and played more "live", warts and all.

Yeah, it's just theatre now, which is still fun but you just have to adjust your expectations. I'm not sure they'd be capable of playing it 100% live now.. they're old. I mean they're basically tuned down to F# so Geddy can still hit the notes in key.

• Locked thread