Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
What's with all the CoS hate? I love that album. The guitar solo in Necromancer is awesome, and the one in FoL during the really slow bluesy part (where Neil's playing all those 16th notes on the hihat) gets me every time. Bastille Day kicks rear end, ITIGB is meant to be funny and it's got a great riff. And while the lyrics to Lakeside Park are cheesy, it's got a cool, unique groove to it. Though on the other hand, FoL as a whole is mediocre. I can't stand the Panacea section.

I've given Clockwork Angels quite a few tries. I just can't get into it. Carnies has that kickass opening riff, but the rest of the song falls flat in comparison. Headlong Flight is awesome (though I don't know of I feel about the reuse of that bass and drum syncopation from Bastille Day...) and Seven Cities of Gold is really cool. The title track would be cool but for the lyrics, and that bridge section ("...As if to fly..." blah!) And Caravan and BU2B are pretty cool. But the album as a whole is a disappointment. S&A was, musically, the same style, but done much better.

I need to swipe the Vapor Trails remaster from my dad. I got it for him for Christmas, and he still hasn't opened it. He was the one that turned me onto Rush by sitting me down to watch the Exit...Stage Left vhs when I was five.

Different Stages is definitely their best live album. That version of Driven with the bass solo is awesome. Not to mention that version of Leave That Thing Along, The Rhythm Method, all of 2112, and everything else on that album.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Fly By Night yet. I think it's pretty good. It's worth buying if only for Bytor And The Snow Dog (say what you will about the lyrics...). That whole first side is great! Side two on the other hand is lack-luster at best, but for Fly By Night and In The End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BigFactory posted:

There's great riffs all over the record.

As there are on every Rush album. But great riffs need to be supported by great songs. The Anarchist isn't bad, but Halo Effect I could do without, same with The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Garden. If anyone likes those songs, that's awesome. But for my taste, that's filler tracks for 1/3 of the album.

For me, it was just a disappointment coming after S&A. It just wasn't as good. It's still a good album - it's Rush, after all - but not as good as I was expecting.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BigFactory posted:

There's a million snoozers on S&A. After Far Cry the album is all filler. But you have to go back to the 80's to get riffs as memorable as the ones on CA. Not saying the album as a whole is great but the riffs are. Halo Effect and Wreckers are bad songs, no 2 ways about it. Wish Them Well rules, you should listen to it again. And The Garden isn't a bad song but it's the last (and best) of like 4 mid-tempo ballads that all blend into each other by the end. It's better outside of the context of the record.

I love every song on S&A - except Good News First and We Hold On. Those two are mediocre. I had CA playing in my car today to and from work (listened to it twice through). I just can't get into Wish Them Well. It just doesn't do anything for me. Hopefully after their year long hiatus, they'll start work on a new album, and hopefully I'll like that one better. I think they're do for another shift in sound.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I was not expecting Cygnus X-1 at all, so that's a sweet surprise. But I'm disappointed that they're not playing at least one song from every album. Nothing from TFE, and they jump from GUP to RTB?

But if the past is anything to go by, they usually rotate about two songs in and out of the setlist every few shows, so hopefully a couple more gems find their way in during the tour. And I'm assuming at some point they'll film for a DVD.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2015

• Locked thread