Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

He is a poor writer and Ghost Rider is terrible.

Have you ever had a friend or relative share a story with you and then you overhear the same goddamned story told over and over as they run into people who haven't heard it yet? By the sixth repeat you're about to bite your own arm off.

That's what Peart does in his book. He lays out the central theme for the reader fairly decently, but every time he subsequently speaks to someone or writes another letter, the reader gets treated to yet another full retelling of the whole lousy saga. And he meets a whooooooole lot of people in the book.

After about the 10th retelling before I was even midway through, I could tell the book was going nowhere and I put it in the Goodwill box. He is a writer who benefits from being constrained to a couple paragraphs of song lyrics.

You might like Traveling Music. It's structured and organized pretty well. On the one hand, I don't know why anyone but the most die hard Rush fan would read one of Neil's books, so there's not a lot to complain about, but my dad, who couldn't name a Rush song if his life depended on it, thought Traveling Music was an engaging travelogue.

It's been a while since I read Ghost Rider, but I remember the second half being pretty good, actually. I liked the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

d0s posted:

My favorite Rush albums are Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure (Signals if I had to choose one) but I also really like the 70's albums, from the Zep-ish first few to the later prog stuff. I don't dig the politics though and I'm glad Peart publicly denounced all that. I really don't like anything after Power Windows much at all, but haven't listened to Snakes and Arrows or Clockwork Angels. I'm just wondering if these new albums are anything like the older stuff I mentioned I like or if it's more weird grunge (I like grunge, I just think it's ridiculous and fake coming from Rush).

What is a Rush grunge album? Counterparts? I guess it's as much a grunge record as Moving Pictures is a new wave record. The influence is there, but yeah, it's not new wave. Counterparts is a pretty great record though, and Snakes and Arrows/Clockwork angels sound a lot more like it than they sound like Moving Pictures.

Give Hold Your Fire another chance.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The most hilarious thing they've ever done. Oh Geddy.

I think that was Alex actually doing the vocals.

And Neurotica is the jam. The whole second side of RTB is underrated.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If memory serves, it was around the rtb tour era that they decided to go heavy on triggers and samples, the rationale being that they would have otherwise had to bring more people on stage to play live and the fans would rather see them as a trio and suspend disbelief.

I don't know how scientific that poll was (there was no poll. they didn't want to have to pay more musicians), but whatever. It's a stage show, a la Kiss, and has been for a long time. Still a pretty good show, but I'd probably go and see 4 or 5 shows on a tour if they changed up setlists and played more "live", warts and all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You guys keep raggin' on really awesome rush songs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't listened to their first album, Caress of Steel, Clockwork Angels, or anything in between Power Windows and Vapor Trails. Or any of their live albums for some reason.

Disclaimer: I think rush kinda hit their stride in 1984/1985.

1st album: some good songs, I'll give it a B.
COS: couple of dumb songs, great record, Alex apes Jimmy Page and it works. B+
Hold Your Fire: Maybe the best rush album. Seriously so good. Listen to Ged's bass playing throughout the whole thing and your head will explode. A
Show of Hands: Ok, now Geddy's playing the songs from HYF and singing over these ridiculous bass parts live. A-
Presto: Good record with some great songs. I don't like the original cd mix, I don't know if the remaster has warmed it up any. Maybe track down a cassette version? Ok, maybe not. A-
Roll The Bones: A pretty similar type of record to presto, but it has a couple of the best songs in their catalog. Very strong. CD suffers from the same cold sound, can't comment on remaster. A
Counterparts: It's a lot of fans favorite rush album, with good reason. A return to a more hard rock sound, no keyboards, less overdubs + bad 90's straight to digital recording practices. Holds up well. A
Test for Echo: I love it, think it sounds great and I can comment on this remaster, it's the balls. If you like Rush and Dog Years isn't your favorite rush song you're not being honest with yourself. Try to find Neil's instructional videos from this time period. A-
Different Stages: My favorite live album of theres, although I stopped buying them when they started putting out one every other year. A
Vapor Trails: Amazing record! The mix was really bad. It made your ears bleed. The remixed version adds guitar solos, but other than that I haven't given it a really critical listen. A
Snakes and Arrows: I don't like this one as much as most, I guess. Didn't stop me from buying it 3 times, but I'm a colossal dummy. Some cool songs, Far Cry is great, some snoozers. B+
Clockwork Angels: It's really pretty great despite the foolish steampunk concept. A-

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Also Geddy Lee's solo album is rad.

Alex's? Not so much.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Art Alexakis posted:

I always find their work so sterile, but I like the playing and melodies. Does anyone know if they've put out a live album?

All The World's a Stage (1976)
Exit...Stage Left (1982)
A Show Of Hands (1987)
Different Stages (1998)
Rush In Rio (2002)
R30 (2004)
Snakes and Arrows Live (2007?)
Time Machine (2012?)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Exit...stage left has my favorite performance of YYZ on it and its a pretty great live album. Snakes and arrows live is quite good as well

They're all good (haven't heard S&AL or TM). Different Stages is the best one though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Prog Doctor posted:

I've given Clockwork Angels quite a few tries. I just can't get into it. Carnies has that kickass opening riff, but the rest of the song falls flat in comparison. Headlong Flight is awesome (though I don't know of I feel about the reuse of that bass and drum syncopation from Bastille Day...) and Seven Cities of Gold is really cool. The title track would be cool but for the lyrics, and that bridge section ("...As if to fly..." blah!) And Caravan and BU2B are pretty cool. But the album as a whole is a disappointment. S&A was, musically, the same style, but done much better.

There's great riffs all over the record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Prog Doctor posted:

As there are on every Rush album. But great riffs need to be supported by great songs. The Anarchist isn't bad, but Halo Effect I could do without, same with The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, and The Garden. If anyone likes those songs, that's awesome. But for my taste, that's filler tracks for 1/3 of the album.

For me, it was just a disappointment coming after S&A. It just wasn't as good. It's still a good album - it's Rush, after all - but not as good as I was expecting.

There's a million snoozers on S&A. After Far Cry the album is all filler. But you have to go back to the 80's to get riffs as memorable as the ones on CA. Not saying the album as a whole is great but the riffs are. Halo Effect and Wreckers are bad songs, no 2 ways about it. Wish Them Well rules, you should listen to it again. And The Garden isn't a bad song but it's the last (and best) of like 4 mid-tempo ballads that all blend into each other by the end. It's better outside of the context of the record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was hoping there was going to be some news about a tour or something. Nope, just a guy saying he likes fountain of Lamneth. Oh well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SgtScruffy posted:

This makes me feel old because the R30 show I went to feels like it was yesterday. Though probably not as old as actual old people.

Same. I saw them at Radio City on that tour. Really bummed they're not playing there again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vedicardi posted:

i'm sure im not the only person who doesn't listen to anything beyond "hemispheres." the u-turn they make from that record to "power windows" onwards still astonishes me

Power windows is their best record but I felt the same way at one point. I was 14 but still. Rush is a better power pop band than a prog rock band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CaptainYesterday posted:

Hold Your Fire
-Open Secrets
-High Water
Presto
-Chain Lightning
-Anagram (For Mongo)
-Red Tide
-Hand Over Fist
-Available Light
Roll the Bones
-Face Up
-The Big Wheel
-Heresy
-Neurotica
-You Bet Your Life
Counterparts
-Cut To the Chase
-Alien Shore
-The Speed of Love
-Everyday Glory
Test for Echo
-The Color of Right
-Dog Years
-Carve Away the Stone
Vapor Trails
-Peaceable Kingdom
-The Stars Look Down
-How It Is
-Vapor Trail
-Sweet Miracle
-Nocturne
-Freeze

Songs that I would totally flip my poo poo to hear.

Maybe throw in Lessons too

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 31, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think part of the problem was that usually they pull out a couple of tracks from the previous album when they tour for a current album, but after Vapor Trails there was a big break with the R30 tour in between and not really the spot for VT material. That stuff might be/have been tough for Neil too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That sounds about right.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

To Battle posted:

Indeed it does. I saw them on the Time Machine Tour in Long Island and ran into Jordan Rudess, that was awesome.

I was at will call behind Nuno Bettencourt on a Test for Echo show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

To Battle posted:

Nice, it is true what they say, it is the band other bands want to see.

I mean, Nuno Bettencourt and Jordan Rudess are loving D list rockstars, but sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's sort of a bummer. Oh well.

• Locked thread