Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NuclearPotato posted:

Presto would like to have a word with you about that title. :colbert:

That said, no matter how good or bad the album is overall, there's always going to be at least one or two good songs on there (Caress of Steel, for instance, has Bastille Day, while Hold Your Fire's got Force Ten and Time Stand Still).
Also Lock and Key and Turn the Page are decent tracks on Hold Your Fire imho. Caress of Steel gets a bad rap but it's definitely a low point in the 70s output. That said, Bastille Day is arguably their most rocking song.

Also yeah Presto kind of sucks, both the song and album. There's some good tracks, obviously, but it's worse than the surrounding albums (which is saying something given how incredibly embarrassing the Roll the Bones rap is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Boner Calhoun posted:

You all may look at me funny but I really like Power Windows. Yeah the '80s synths are cheesy as hell but I don't mind them, and there's some good songs on that one. Mystic Rhythms is the poo poo!
I like Power Windows but Mystic Rhythms always seemed kind of corny to me lyrically.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Boner Calhoun posted:

Very true, but I thought that was just kind of expected with Rush. I mean, these are the guys that gave us a ten minute song called "The Necromancer" as well as this this awe-inspiring lyric:
Eh I think Peart's particularly bad when he goes into Eastern mysticism/philosophy.

And yeah, the chorus of Virtuality is really bad. I actually like the sentiment, but at the time it was far more novel, and anchoring himself to contemporary technology was a really bad idea.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not at all. I was going to make this point last night but couldn't word it as well as you did. I like Rush for a lot of reasons, but lyrical content is low on that list. (I do like the premise of 2112, naturally.)
I actually like Peart's wording very much a lot of the time, but he can be a little on-the-nose at times. I think I differ from a lot of fans in that I think 2112 is more than a little dumb, though. Like even setting aside that it's the plot from Anthem, it's pretty lame.

edit: also I would say that Limelight isn't corny. And generally speaking I think his stuff on social distance/isolation is not bad, stuff like Lock and Key, Entre' Nous, The Analog Kid, Middletown Dreams, Subdivisions. Those can fall under the "on-the-nose" criticism though

het fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 1, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CaptainYesterday posted:

"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" is the worst line Peart has ever written, and I stand by this.
Net boy... Net girl...

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

AlternateAccount posted:

Peart's lyrics are probably at least 30% cringeworthy, but eh, he tries and it usually works. I won't listen to Virtuality though, it causes me physical pain.
I've always enjoyed his wordplay, even if it's borderline overwrought (or maybe because of that). Honestly, I think Freaks & Geeks really captured Rush fandom the best with this intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taB3U0b9zdA

It's maybe a product of the age (my age, not the general time period) that I became enamored with them, but I always think of them and Peart's lyrics specifically as epitomizing that particular teenage/youthful experience. It's nuanced in a way but it's really more a distillation of those emotions and observations, when everything seemed like an intellectual revelation about the world. I think that's why Permanent Waves will always be my favorite Rush album, it really fits that nerd-figuring-out-the-world mindset so well. Peart's lyrics grew beyond that to an extent but I think they always kind of had that quality to them, at least post-Farewell to Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Popular Human posted:

I'm kind of amazed that they've never played Chain Lightning live.

I feel that way about I Think I'm Going Bald, it's one of Alex's best riffs imho

• Locked thread