Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.

"Mobs" do not work, yes basic grunts are good but you still need to use your head to make them work. Otherwise one well-positioned reaction drone or sniper will tear you apart.

Also, there are less than 10 bad units in Infinity, and most of these are simply overcosted or have better equivalents for common situations.

What are the bad, or less good PanO units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks for the advice on PanO, though it leads to another question - are aquila or swiss guard with HMG worth the costs?

I also like PanO TAGs' aesthetics. If I want to use one, can I fit some of their heavy infantry too in a 300-point list?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

Cheers for clearing that up; with only 4 figures a side it didn't come up too often but the thought of snipers firing even more shots than they did is making me rethink my future strategies. I'm looking forward to trying a game with the full rules now.

Edit: One further question that the rules don't seem amazingly clear on. If the attacker shoots multiple shots at the same defender, does the defender get a reaction shot against each one? For example the Combi-Rifle is Burst 3 - if I assign all 3 shots to one guy, and he beats my roll each time, do I get shot 3 times or just once?

Weapon burst in ARO is reduced to 1. So he gets 1 roll to your 3, if he wins the face to face, you should only need to roll armor save once.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Aha. My order has arrived. Joan of Arc, HMG Swiss Guard, BS ORC troop, Kamau hacker and 4 fusiliers. Going to mix and match to create 150 point lists from those.

Probably going to get some TAGs in my next wave. What are the pros and cons of the PanO TAGs?

Also, any advice to build on that initial core of units?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I just noticed something about the MO - of the 'prominent' historical ones, the Templars appear to be missing, yet there are Templar CCW available. Are they mentioned in the other books (I only got the core 2nd Ed book for now)?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Yes, the Templars were found guilty of AI research and purged. The 2 Templar CCWs we know of do contain independent AIs, which makes them highly illegal (De Fersen is an ex-Templar, and McMurrough got his as a mysterious gift).

Purged again? Man, the historical parallels. Is this mentioned in Human Sphere or Paradiso? I hope it is the latter, the former is out of stock the last time I checked their store page.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So I was assembling the PanO Cutter, and of the parts in the box there are two small fins that do not seem to fit anywhere. To be exact, the other parts I have are: head, upper torso, both arms, lower torso with a leg, the other leg, 2 long fins.

I have searched for images of various angles of the Cutter, and I do not see those small fins.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So even the official pictures we see do not have them pasted? :v:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Wow. The Squalo seems rather cheap for the weapons they have.

How do you carry those TAGs around, by the way? I just finished my Cutter, and it does not fit into the box that it came with.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Can I fit a Cutter into a 150-point list? Or the lack of orders make that unadvisable?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Great MO writeup

This is a good read. Do you have similar advice/hints for non-MO PanO?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So with the changes to camo and weapons (specifically HMGs), it seems both my Cutter and Swiss Guard are not as good as before. Though I guess there will be point changes as well?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Cross-posting from the painting thread.

This is like... the 5th miniature I painted:

And my 6th:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Tentacle Party posted:

Seconding this. Not to mention choosing white and yellow, two of the hardest colours to look nice.

Edit. Blue and red. Because I'm lazy and like "codex" colours.

I was actually quite appalled when I was going to try my hand at painting and realised that my favorite color scheme of white and yellow/gold are basically the two hardest color.

And I quite like that blue highlight, did you had to mix colors to get that?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

5th and 6th mini!?! You Sir (or Ma'am) can go gently caress right the gently caress off with that poo poo. Seriously though, really nicely done. I'm digging the scheme.

I am a slow painter though, I think. The ORC trooper took me 5 hours, the Cutter took me an entire day. I went in thinking since Cutter is bigger, it should be easier to paint. Boy was I wrong :v:

Also, how often do you guys field snipers? I like the range on sniper rifles, but it seems with a lot of terrain they will not be that good.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Unable to access the file until much later. How is PanO at a glance?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

That is nice. What about TAGs and the other HIs? I got a Cutter and was interested in using Toni and Seraph. HI wise I currently got Swiss guard with HMG, ORC troop and a holy sepulchre knight.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Very Good Stuff.

That was an excellent read, though would you be able to do a brief write-up on PanO units under those roles?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Regarding character chat earlier - is Joan a decent character for non-MO lists?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Yup, she's MVP in a lot of PanO lists.

Which variant?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

300 points PanO - trying to have Joan, Swiss guard and Aquila guard in the same list. Anyone with any decent ideas?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah Joan is super super good in N3 which I'd a nice plus from N2 where she was very lacking.

Because of inspiring?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks! I guess a doc is not necessary/common for a general list?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

osirisisdead posted:

I usually don't, but you can if you want. The Machinist can pick up the drones and un immobilize the HI and drones when you get popped with E/M or glue guns, which is why I have it in there. Also, I have a soft spot for the monkey wrench model and use it at every opportunity. You could easily replace the Pathfinder with a doc if you are so inclined.

Caveat: I lose most of my ITS games so my advice is probably terrible, bwahaha.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think the few points for a doc can be worth it just to make your opponent think twice, or maybe spend orders finishing unconscious models, especially if the doc was a base model you are happy to take anyway (looking at you, Haqqislam). The main thing with taking doctors is to let them get at the models who are down. So I see new players often include a basic doc, and have them off on their own. When the game is tight, there is no way you want to spend 3-5 orders moving the doc, possibly through LoF, just to get a chance at the roll. If you take a doctor, take a bot, 2 if you can. Position either them and/or the doc protected from LoF and right next to the models you want to keep in the fight. If doctoring is a big part of your contingency plans, keep 1-2 command tokens back to try and ensure a success. 1-2 orders can really be worth it to bring back an expensive model in a threatening position. More than that is always hard to find. When done right, doctoring is more than worth it - I can remember ineptmule giving me a hard time with a tuareg doc deployed prone next to a lasiq sniper in a good position, and have won tournament games myself by bringing back an intruder hmg. Long range models that stay near your DZ are generally easier to heal than offensive models. One exception is strong offensive links that can include a doctor.

They make sense. If I want to bring one, PanO do not seem to have many options though.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Can anyone do a rundown on the PanO TAGs? I have a cutter, but I would like to get another TAG (because I am a sucker for big robots/mechs).

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So the heavy ones are worth the points, while for the light ones, only Toni is worth it?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks for the summary. Seraph is a nice name imo, though my impression of it matches yours.

Going to choose between Jotum and Dragao most likely, and something to proxy for Toni.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Verr posted:

Anybody up for some Infinity RPG chat?

The lifepath system seems like a pretty cool split between the oldschool grog "roll everything about your character oh poo poo you're a one-legged, hunchbacked baker who's great with a quarterstaff" and a more deterministic lifepath system like the 40k RPG. You have 5 lifepoints or whatever which you can burn to straight up choose something off a chart instead of rolling at a given stage in your character's life. Saving lifepath points (and ultimately letting the dice design your character) gets you few small bonuses. I'm interested to see how it plays out in practice, 'cause there are a lot of non-combat lifepath options that could lead to a relatively incompetent character for a game about tactical-anime shootouts.

At first glance, the character sheet is some dense poo poo. Someone less intuitive than a D&D 3.5 sheet. Haven't seen a char sheet outside of Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun that screams "not for casuals" as hard. Hopefully it'll prove to be a little more intuitive in practice.

I am waiting on more of the mechanics to be shown to know how it relates to the (especially non-combat) lifepath options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Really like those 2 TAG sculpts. How are they in play?

• Locked thread