Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

5/18/15
It has been almost a year without Pox and some of us got curious. To our surprise the game is actually doing well; Better then it has in about 1 1/2 years. Bugs are still an issue, because it's Pox. Getting runes is much easier now. You can melt extra runes in to "shards" and forge different ones with said sharts. Also, every game rewards a free rune with varying rarity. I have received 2 exos in the week I have been doing dailies. The game is honestly fun atm and I recommend anyone checking it out.

As of March 6th the transition from SOE to DOG is complete. You can now migrate your accounts to the DOG servers. By doing this you get a free limited rune name Pox Renovator. So far it looks like rune availability will be much greater. They added a forge function where you can break down extra runes for shards and 'forge' new runes. You can also buy almost anything in the marketplace with gold except the newest expansion. They also integrated rune management in to the client. I'll get more information put up here in the next few days. Here is a list of rune changes http://olaf.maxapex.com/apex/f?p=286:6:0::NO

*Updated 3/20/14 to reflect some of the changes. Includes section on Forging. Removed most references to SOE. Updated links that were broke due to the server migrations.

This is a new thread since the old one was closed due to PoxGoons going inactive. The game recently had a new designer come on board and the two most recent expansions have been great. We've started to trickle back in for our fix of PoxCrack. Some of this thread is shamelessly borrowed from the original thread found here which was posted by CaptainFarce.

In order to play you need to sign up here. Afterwards, sign in on the PoxNora site, go to profile and choose a name. There's still a handful of us that play and we welcome new additions to the guild, which you can join right here. Post your in-game name in this thread and then apply to the guild. Your application is subject to approval within 7 business days (or whenever one of us decides to check the applications). You can expect guild chat to look like this when we all get together:

#poxgoons on synirc.net is the PoxGoon IRC. Just bug Zoiks until he responds. He's a very friendly goon who loves helping new players and answering questions about virtual trading cards all day long. Make sure to ask him what his favorite Myx champion is.

PoxNora, how does it work?

PoxNora is best described as a CCG mixed with a turn-based strategy board game. There are eight factions to choose from, each with reasonably unique themes. Play modes include campaigns, 1v1 and 2v2. Whereas 1v1 allows you to pick both full faction and split faction decks, for the moment 2v2 is limited purely to full faction.

You build a Battle Group (BG) that consists of 30 runes. Runes can be broken down into four categories:
Champions: These are the various creatures you use to battle other players.
Spells: All sorts of effects that alter the game.
Relics: Stationary objects that, when deployed, give a buff, debuff or activate some kind of ability.
Equipment: Items used to equip Champions (often to give them extra abilities).

Runes have a nora cost; you accumulate nora every turn and get additional nora by controling fonts. You use this resource (nora) to cast spells, deploy champions, buff champions etc.

Every rune has a rarity associated with it, which determines how likely you are to get the rune when buying packs. The rarities are: Common (yellow border), Uncommon (red border), Rare (blue border), Exotic (purple border), Legendary (green border and Limited (white/gray border.

Free-2-Play! (not really)

As you play matches against other players or the AI you accumulate gold. There are daily challenges that net you a gold bonus when completed. Once you have enough saved up you can go to the marketplace and purchase packs or boxes. I suggest buying boxes, but if you need that instant gratification it's your gold; Use it when you need it.

If you want to play this game exclusively f2p you are more than welcome to try, but it will take you a lot of time gold grinding to be even close to competitive with the top players. If you aren't too worried about being the lord of all Pox then it's not so bad, as you can earn gold as you play and constantly be able to upgrade your BG with new runes.

I just received a large inheritance and want to play, where should I start?
After you've made an account and opened up the game client you'll be greeted with this:

This is the launchpad and will direct you to where you need to go. Something to know: Single Player is versus the AI, Training Grounds is against real opponents with free Battle Groups and a tutorial, but isn't ranked and Battlegrounds have either ranked matches or un-ranked matches.

Your first stop should probably be single player where you should play the tutorial and the faction walkthroughs. Then play a few more matches against the computer, although the new interactive tutorial in the Training Grounds is a good place to start too. Next apply to the goon guild and unload on us with your millions of questions. Then play a computer a few more times or head to the training grounds where your rear end will be spending quite a bit of time. Finally, I would suggest trying to pick a faction that you think is the most interesting. Almost everyone initially likes Underdepths or Forsaken Waste, while being the, arguably, coolest-looking factions, they are notoriously the most expensive and hard to trade for factions. SP is really good and cheap and have bats. Once you pick a faction let me or someone else in the guild know, as we can typically put together a decent care package for new players to get their feet wet.

Tips

• Nora globes are worth 15% of the destroyed champion unless modified by abilities.
  • Nora generation each turn is 12 nora per font and 45 nora for the shrine unless transfigured, then it is 25 nora.
  • If at all possible, always try to one round you opponents champions. This typically means focus fire.
  • When starting out, a good general practice is to never use a spell unless you are going to kill a champ with it.
  • Contesting Fonts is important but if you sacrifice too many units it could cost you the game.
  • Until you have a better grasp of the game it is always better to drop another champion then playing a spell.
  • Your turn timer is 1:45 (2:00 in 2v2), this means you need to spend the opposing player's turn reading the
    abilities of their champions and planning your turn until you get the hang of what units will be doing what.
  • You don't have to be constrained to a theme in a faction, but some themes synergize very well and are better as a whole.
  • While in game, hitting G twice will bring up a grid on the map. Make sure you don't type it in to the chat box.
  • Try and refine your deck by cutting out things that you never end up using or ask some goons to suggest alternative champions that can perform multiple jobs.
  • When constructing a BG try to have no less then 15 champs and generally no more then 18.
  • Every faction has a banner relic that comes with a purchase of an avatar. They are auto includes in any Full Faction BG.
  • Champions move based on their speed and action points (ap), at the beginning of each round you gain ap equal to your speed and can store ap up to 4 above your speed value, the basic attack chain is 3ap, 5ap, 8ap, 11ap which means outside of some major intereference 2 attacks per round at most.

Factions
Factions are divided by "good" and "evil" (Protectorate and Wrath). Each faction has its own unique bonus that is active in game and these bonuses are halved when playing a split faction BG. Full Faction (FF) is 30 runes of one faction, Split Faction (SF) is 15 runes from one faction and 15 runes from another. You don't have to play a theme when playing a faction. Some themes have more synergy then others, while some of the strongest battle groups are just a collection of good runes from multiple themes in a faction. But some themes work so well together or are so much fun it's hard not to run them as pure themes. Ultimately the choice is yours based on what runes are availabe to you, your playstyle and personal preferences. Here's a broad rundown of each faction and some of its themes to look out for or collect towards:

It's always better when wet.

Forglar Swamp (FS) is a faction with many tricks and it's typically hard to calculate which rear end in a top hat move will be coming your way next. They also have access to one of the few spot removal spells in the game called Drown. This faction mainly relies on its dickery, mobility, nora gen and more dickery to win.

FF Bonus: Recover 8 nora at the start of your turn, this is in addition to shrine and font(s).
SF Bonus: Revover 4 nora at the start of your turn, this is in addition to shrine and font(s).

Abandon all Station Cash all ye who enter here.

Forsaken Waste (FW) is a faction all about the undead and goths. FW relies on its faction bonus to get runes off cool down very quickly, superior AP generation, very good range, benefiting from champions dying and its extra nora collected from champions to win. FW is difficult to play against because it seems like whatever you are doing, FW is doing it better. Troll away with this faction.

FF Bonus: Champion runes you own have their cooldowns reduced by 60%.
SF Bonus: Champion runes you own have their cooldowns reduced by 30%

It is no shave November 12 months of the year.

Ironfist Stronghold (IS) is home to midgets, bearded midgets, midgets with beards that fly griffons, midgets who control robots, a barbaric race of humans that have beards and trolls. IS is known for its beards, high defense champions, healing and arguably some of the best nora gen in the game. It is a very defensive theme with melee hate and range hate and spell hate. Really IS just hates anything that hurts its champions.

FF Bonus: Champions you control take 6 less damage from spells.
SF Bonus: Champions you control take 3 less damage from spells.

I will not transfigure unless I know I won't kill any champions.

K'thir Forest (KF) is a tree-loving hippy paradise. Their faction bonus gives champions additional speed, they have decent mobility, great healing and their utility champions are second to none. KF has so many tricks up its sleeves it can be irritating to keep track of them all during a game.

FF Bonus: Champions you control have +1 speed.
SF Bonus: Champions you control have +1 maximum ap.

If you can't figure out how Gale works, don't bother.

Savage Tundra (ST) is home to frost adaptive elves known as Jakei, owls, ferret people, giant beasts and humanoid cats. Yeah, it's a loving zoo in the Tundra. ST is probably best known for its powerful spells, very hearty champions and some great ranged units. Oh, and ice. Lots and lots of ice.

FF Bonus: Champions you control have +10 maximum hp.
SF Bonus: Champions you control have +5 maximum hp.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Shattered Peaks (SP) is an underated faction consisting of cyclops, slug-like creatures called slags, tons of bats known as voil, the dog-like hyaenid, and the moga, a race of tiny annoying dudes. SP is all about the themes and they're all pretty solid and fun to play. This faction is historically the cheapest faction to play and typically suggested for new players.

FF Bonus: Whenever you deploy a champion you are refunded 8% of its nora cost and when a champion dies you are refunded 4% of that units cost.
SF Bonus: Whenever you deploy a champion you are refunded 4% of its nora cost and when a champion dies you are refunded 2% of that units cost.

My best champ wears lederhosen and plays the didgeridoo

Sundered Lands (SL) is a sand-based draconic faction with some bugs myxed in. They feature passive health regen, hiding in sand, teleporting in sand and generally being fairly tanky. Home to large dragons and multiple ugly races.

FF Bonus:Champions you control take 20% less damage (after DEF), with a minimum reduction of 1, from attacks.
SF Bonus:Champions you control take 10% less damage (after DEF), with a minimum reduction of 1, from attacks.

I can get anyone to limited league.

The Underdepths (UD) is probably the most hated faction in Pox history. It's a very rush-oriented faction designed to make your opponent rage quit life. Very high damage champions, damaging spells and a couple utility champs mixed with crazy good equipment gives this faction its flavor.

FF Bonus: Champions you control with a maximum range of 3 or less recieve a +4 damage buff. Champions you control with a maximum range above 3 recieve a +2 damage buff.
SF Bonus:Champions you control with a maximum range of 3 or less recieve a +2 damage buff. Champions you control with a maximum range above 3 recieve a +1 damage buff.

Any questions about UD should be directed to Zoopador, he is our resident UD expert.

I just got my tax return, what should I waste it on first!?
Generally it's a good idea to consult some goons before buying anything. There's a guild bank with commons and uncommons and most of the veteran players have many copies of these runes to give out. The first thing to buy can vary month-to-month depending on if a new set was released or what the deal of the month is. Just inquire and we'll figure it out together. It makes playing PoxNora much more affordable. If you get really serious about Pox it's fairly common to pick up a player's collection on the cheap.

Do not buy premade BGs in the marketplace.

Forging
Pox 3.0 brought us Forging. You can get here via the client or the website. It is under the Rune Management tab on the site.

The forge is designed to melt down runes in to sharts shards. These shards are then used to make other runes. Basically if you have extra runes you can melt them down for different runes. The exchange isn't 1:1 and you can only melt down Exotic rarity or lower. This means Legendaries are going to be even more valuable. But this means it will be easier to get c/u/r for newer players. If you are wondering why some runes of the same rarity have different meltdown values; The runes from sets 1-6 (really old runes) have half the value in shards as the newer ones (sets 7 to present).

Some links to help you on your journey to mediocrity.

The Pox Wiki which is a bit sub-par, but can still can be useful and is constantly updated.

Poxbase is probably the best rune database and BG builder.

The Knockback Guide explains the mechanics of the knockback and gale effects.

The Relocate Guide explains the mechanics behind relocate effects.

PoxBox is a third party trading site that also has a rune database.

Learn to play in under two minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88rUSMtzM2s

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nique
May 18, 2006

Also don't play IS unless you are scum.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
What is this thread doing back!!!

The last expansion was really good :v:.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Spend all your money and join us, plebs!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Doesn't draft play exist for those who don't want to sink in tons of money?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yes, and it's better than ever.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I am so, so sorry. I was joking when I told Forg to make a new thread.

Anyway this game is so good that I am still putting up with a pre-Diablo 2 resolution and SOE to play it. We keep trying to flee to Scrolls or Banner Saga or Card Hunter or something, anything that runs at a modern resolution and isn't mismanaged by SOE but they're all really bad and boring in comparison so here we are. So if you like any of those you should probably come play this because it's orders of magnitude better.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
YOOOOOOOOOOOO FITE ME

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

I am so, so sorry. I was joking when I told Forg to make a new thread.
Yeah, but we needed a place to talk about PoxNora like games to all pay together.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
since when is zoop the resident ud expert. did i miss a joke somewhere. also where are the split faction descriptions goddamn

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

since when is zoop the resident ud expert. did i miss a joke somewhere. also where are the split faction descriptions goddamn

Yeah, Zoop recently traded two factions for UD and is still learning how to master it. I'll add split factions in a few.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
does anyone have ryviraths post saved where he talks about how much pox sucks and the devs are retarded?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Nique posted:

Also don't play IS unless you are scum.

I miss mhmsenor. At least, I think he isn't playing anymore.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got some screenshots saved of mhmsenor circa 2010.

And just since I was taking a trip down memory lane, here's some more.

I beat this next dude by spamming kf regulate spell before the fairy theme came out

Ahhhhh xxLordQxx

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
I'll see your old screenshots, and raise you these 800x600 gems from Jspats circa 2009. He started losing, cast Festering Wounds (disease decks were strong at the time, or at least annoying), and I mocked him, saying something like "Yeah, fester your way out".

He took offense:

Reported him, but I'm sure nothing happened.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I played this a while back before the big change / new expansion. The problems back then were power creep from new set to new set, and that you couldn't buy much with ingame earned currency. I had an alright UD deck, but none of it was really current and so wasn't as good as the newer stuff.

If I jumped back in, will this still be the case or have things been balanced?

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Just look at those rune bases. I miss those rune bases so much. :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

I played this a while back before the big change / new expansion. The problems back then were power creep from new set to new set, and that you couldn't buy much with ingame earned currency. I had an alright UD deck, but none of it was really current and so wasn't as good as the newer stuff.

If I jumped back in, will this still be the case or have things been balanced?

This last expansion was very light on powercreep, but in-game currency is still mostly worthless and trading has become even more of a pain in the rear end than before.

hurrrr²
Oct 8, 2004
the happiest purple head of them all

Yes, I would say that the core game itself has improved dramatically (powercreep and general design of new runes), but everything surrounding it - the trading economy, bugs, community size, so on - has continued degenerating enough that whether or not there's been any net improvement is up to you. Also note that balance has 'improved dramatically', there are still plenty of meta-hotness overpriced, OP runes that people mostly have just learned to live with than anything else. imo it's on a slow and steady climb but we started from one of the lowest points of the game that I can remember.

Also I would be more than happy for this thread to be 90% screens of rage.

edit: That said, it's more than doable to put together an exo-capable BG pretty much straight away with goon charity and help picking the most efficient C/UC runes.

hurrrr² fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 2, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hurrrr² posted:

Also I would be more than happy for this thread to be 90% screens of rage.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Updating my deck for 2013. Any Suggestions?

e: also that screenshot owns because pincushions

barkbell fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 3, 2013

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

It's great to have this thread so we can tell people who are interested in this game that it is basically impossible and probably stupid to start playing this game.

EDIT: So as not to confuse newbs, this is no longer true. The game is hard to get into, but it is under new ownership and the new guys have done some pretty nice stuff.

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 21, 2014

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!

Sidpret posted:

people who are interested in this game, it is basically impossible and probably stupid to start playing

This is pretty much accurate.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

Updating my deck for 2013. Any Suggestions?

e: also that screenshot owns because pincushions

Add all the Kas guys in ST and win.

This just happened and it was glorious. Also had a rage quit that night but forgot to paste the screen shot. Not sure any other faction can induce more rage quits then FW.

Holy poo poo, there goes the neighborhood. This is the state Pox has fallen to:

lol j/k Grats Iodomy, at least one goon is representing.

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 7, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I keep trying to claw my way back down but they keep dragging me back up. I don't know how to suck any harder than this.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Guys, act quickly while you can! Sweet offer here!

http://tcgbay.com/

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Only a minimum of $10000 for a site no one uses for a dead game. Sweet Deal Y'all :coal:

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
I am pretty sure you could buy Pox from Sony around that price which makes Gainer a dumb rear end.

hurrrr²
Oct 8, 2004
the happiest purple head of them all

resurrecting with poison bg rage, the best kind of rage

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
o poxnora. whens the next expansio

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Never. Faeria just launched their kickstarter, closed beta's been running for a few weeks I guess. It's the least-bad Pox alternative I've seen so far, narrowly beating out gems like void rim and card hunter so I guess some of you might want to get in on that. Play red/green and you can just use starter stuff to literally never lose a game unless you're up against someone else playing red/green who draws better than you.

Or we can just all start playing Hex tomorrow whatever.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats hex

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm assuming...

Hex: http://hextcg.com/

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that faeria game looks legit

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

that faeria game looks legit

I just got my Faeria key today and it is fun. It is kind of pox like and has no random elements. Worth checking out, I hope they add more content quickly enough though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfSWorWWvN4

I've been playinG, pretty heavily, Duel of Champions and for a card game it is up there with MTG.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
After watching some streams of this game, I backed it. Waiting on my beta key now. We should get goons together and jam.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Welp, KS allows you to buy into the beta immediately for 15 bux then refund if you're not into it.

I'm in as Rafe

Nique fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 11, 2013

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I backed faeria yesterday and got my key in like 15 minutes. The game owns. I highly recommend it to everyone.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Alas, the time may have come. Unable to log in to Pox or the website.

edit: False alarm, looks like it's back up. Move along.

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Faeria is great. I'm beasting kids with my blue deck (it's literally FS). Message me on steam 'Steezy' to play or trade.

• Locked thread